How long did it take you to actually start learning about programming...

How long did it take you to actually start learning about programming, doing your own projects and dwell into it as something you want to do as a job?

I don't know how to feel about where I'm at. 2-3 years ago, I looked a bit into HTML/CSS and Javascript, you know, just to see what the fuck is even happening and what does writing a code looks like. I kind of gave up, after I saw what webdev is about and then went to learn some C# and Python for fun and again kind of gave up after learning dry fundamentals and doing console programs, thinking this is not for me and not realizing what the fuck am I supposed to do with this.

Then last year it finally hit me, I stumbled upon how to make GUI app in python for finance and trading.. and that's really the first time I got into it, because I knew how to make GUI and could now plot things and functions into my applications, etc.. From then on I decided to actually pursue this and started doing projects with data analysis in markets and fucked around with ML and optimizing bot.

However, I still don't have a fucking clue where to go from here. It seems everybody knows basic webdev shit, software dev, networks and servers, hardware, electronics, embedded,..

It seems just too much to go into everything, unless you've been doing it since the age 15 or less.

Attached: 1522609028155.jpg (741x568, 73K)

Yea it's difficult to find a niche area in IT that A/will be well enough paid B/will be relevant to one's interests and C/can be a stepping stone to other areas of interest.

I have no real friends so my goal is to develop an AI which is good enough to be my friend. I don't think I'll ever really get done, but I'm about one year in and i already got some pretty good results

Don't try to get into everything straight away. Focus on solving the specific problems you face in your current project when you come up against them. After a while you'll realise you just so happen to know everything.

It's the journey that's important, not the destination. If you're not learning you're dead anyway.

Ah dude that's fucking heartbreaking, try getting involved in 'makerspace/hackerspace' type things. People with similar interests, FIND THE OTHERS (like yourself who are a bit lonely). You'll be pleasantly surprised probably.

It was a long haul for me. First I had programming 101, really basic stuff with pascal, then somehow programming kept creeping into my life here and there in university classes. Then finally I was required to use linux more or less heavily for a university course, I liked it and ended up installing it on my own computer, and from bash/linux tinkering to programming it's an easy transition. Now my work is all programming and general tech stuff, even though my major wasn't about it.

This happened over like 6 years total. Thanks for reading my blog.

For me it was automation. It brings together enterprise architecture, scripting, networking, security, windows and linux, and various software suites. I
DevOps work can be really fun and challenging.

OP here with another question, what is the point really? If you have a grain of salt in your brains,

>you don't want to settle down for being a webdev (despite good salary and comfy life)
>you don't want to settle down for software development in big firm (despite good salary and comfy life)
>fixing things and doing embedded stuff does seem actually satisfying, since you are helping people/firms and people see you as great value
>can't go into finance as being a quant, because you don't come from prestigious university and are some sort of prodigy, neither from moral standpoint of view what you are doing, isn't probably good and you are just contributing to collapse
>robotics - seems fine and interesting actually, but again fucking hard

Is going into healthcare and trying to develop new treatments for the sick people that got raped by life really the only satisfying and morally justifiable things at this point?

Attached: diogenes.gif (1174x844, 904K)

It's nice to hear.

OP here, I'm also looking at either Robotics, PLC, Automation (whatever, something in mech eng.) or healthcare at this point.

It's not even about money any more, I just want to do something that has actual value and where I help other people also.

programing is for the 3rd world to do. lets be real here.

sure gabe and some other people have said programmers will be the wizards of the future but that was in the 2000s. now its just cheap repetitive labor that requires like 98iq.

Depends on what you do. If you are self taught and complete math brainlet then yes, it doesn't take too much brain power.

If you went to college and had intense math course (I know it varies from college to college), then I wouldn't say you are a complete brainlet and actually know shit and have the mental capacity to do something greater. However, the thing is, what are you willing to settle down for?

I did pascal in year 10
>didnt learn a thing still got around 70%
>Learnt Liberty Basic in year 11
>VB fucks with my head
>got 50-60%

So you work for Amazon user? Just googled DevOps and Amazon came up

Automation user here, get into it if you can. It can be very frustrating to become familiar with, but it is considered a rare and valuable skillset. I spent a year at a $28/hr job and was contacted to do work for $45/hr, which I'm currently doing. It is highly desirable.

I work in the DoD. DevOps experience + security clearance is very valuable

So you are basically doing PLC, writing GUI and logic behind the machines?

My work is mostly working on existing codebases and updating them as needed. A lot of the time it's more detective work to figure out the change needed. It's fun when I need to gather alot of data to find the best path forward, but it can be a drag when I'm just babysitting an update.

Impressive! Where did you get your experience in DevOps then? Interning somewhere?

I did small-time work on the side, but had a great mentor at my first full-time job. That recommendation got me into my current work as a DevOps Engineer.

Don't let this thread derail

I just want to learn more so I can find out what I want.
A nigga that don't know much, don't want much.