GNOME

Why everyone hate GNOME DE? And what is this hate about?

Attached: linux-gnome_00366516.png (1920x1200, 348K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=754302
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777537
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It runs like shit on my computer which is why I dislike it. I can't take any DE serious that manages to perform worse than Windows 10 (for me).

Attached: 1486642788423.jpg (641x556, 52K)

Takes features away, most of its shit can only be changed through random text and css files, doesn't look that good. Doesn't have a proper global menu. It's somewhat slow compared to... well, pretty much anything else really.

And before you faggots say "why do you need features" well, options are better than no options. End of discussion.

>unironic javascript desktop

it does less using more resources

>read some shitty HCI journal for the hottest new discoveries
>"ohhh guise look at this study I found (that shows some results for a very particular basic use case)"
>"the time it takes a user to perform an action using is far lower than the time it takes the user to "
>"amazing, let's remove the convoluted way of doing it and replace it with the one-size-fits-all way of doing it!"
and repeat ad-nauseum

In my experience I had more problems with KDE, than with GNOME. And another question: is Unity better than GNOME?

Gnome 2 was my first DE, but with 3 they went full retard and keep making it worse.

memoryhogg

The gnome DE/Devs are like asking a woman what they want to eat

because its a tablet UI for desktop (like Windows 8), created on shitty technology (GTK sucks dick compared to Qt).
also the developers are assholes that will disregard any user feedback.
you should ask yourself, is there anything to like about it?

Switch to i3wm. Thank me later.

If you want to actually learn a thing about Linux stop using DEs and WMs with big flashy buttons that are "easy to use" and """highly customizable""".

Download i3, dmenu, whatever bar you want, rice it and not only you can make it actually easier to use but you use much less system ressources.

Attached: 1534416767233.jpg (700x461, 50K)

Gnome team calls removing functions upgrades and demands that all apps are for Gnome only

i'll stick with xfce.
btw I am retard, what do you mean "rice it"?

i want to click icons and drug&n&drop files.

I mean, of course the big icons touch-style of doing things will be faster than having more stuff fit on the screen,
when the only use cases your HCI-study tests for uses a base case with N=10-15 or something [tabs, icons, files, list elements, ...].

A lot of the HCI-models for mouse movements include factors like the size of the target object in calculating how much time a user takes to move their mouse cursor to it (accounting for overshoot etc)
My (assumption) is they assume some base number of icons every user has on average,
then try to optimize the size and padding between the icons so that the expected time for all users to tap it is the lowest
but of course this breaks down for users who have more than just the N they tested with

A non-gnome example of this is firefox and its tabs.
Unless you use chrome.css to change it, tabs have an absolute minimum size (30-40px?)
so if you have say 50 tabs in firefox then even if you set the minimum size to 2px it will revert to 30-40, and tabs will scroll off the screen so that they are not all visible at the same time.
My assumption again here is that they assume very few users will ever have 40-50 tabs open and thus ignore the inconvenience this behaviour causes those users
(thankfully chrome.css somewhat fixes it)

fewer features than xfce and it consumes more resources than kde. That's an impressive fuckup.

I've used xfce for a while and even if it's in my opinion the best desktop environement for both newbs and semi-experienced users, I still prefer i3. Mainly because it's tiled based and not floating

And "ricing" means making it a e s t t h i c as fuck

I used to like it but they have dumbed it down to such an extent that it's just an Android clone at this point. It'd be awesome on a tablet, but on a desktop it struggles to find its place.

You can do it with i3 still dum dum

>drug
junkie

do you have anime on your bios boot screen?

>running graphical interface at all
>not doing everything from tty1

wow, it's like you enjoy bloat

I'm not a fucking weeb fag

There's peak performance by using no WM, a bit of bloat when using i3, and there's KDE and Unity fags

I just love gnome

Attached: literally_a_foot.png (1540x1067, 243K)

So much this. Seen recently discussion on issue about typeahead search. Gnome dev was all like:
>Yeah these arguments about why our implementation is counterintuitive are right and all and we will try to solve this problem some another way, but we won't restore typeahead search because fuck you that's why.

Seriously, why they wont implement good ol typeahead? It works like this even on Windows, but not on Gnome.

Probably because they are hipster asshats.

Also this.
And this

Thanks to all now I have a lot of excuses to switch to xfce.

>God tier
LXDE
MATE
>High tier
XFCE
Unity
>Upper tier
KDE
Cinnamon
>Funny jokie tier
Budgie
>Leftist tier
GNOME3
>Ah so tier
Deepin
>Faggot hackerman tier
Any tiling DE

Meh. If it's not making you use KDE, Unity or Gnome, I'm fine with that

Removing features every release, complete arrogance about what users want or need - it's GNOME's way or the highway. (We chose the highway)
It's gotten slower with every release, no other UI can't draw the desktop at 60fps on modern hardware.

>any tiling desktop environment
>t i l i n g
>d e s k t o p
>e n v i r o n m e n t
Hmm...

Tiling WM*

When you use a laptop and don't wanna use your stupid trackpad or bring a mouse with you, tiling windows managers are pretty fucking great. Plus everything is faster with shortcuts.

HMMMmmmmMmmMmmmmmMMMMMM

Attached: 1496265493374.png (600x600, 155K)

i don't know what gnome is or does, sorry

Use any search engine to find out

Attached: foot.png (300x100, 11K)

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=754302

Here is one of the bugs if anybody wants to get moderately higher blood pressure

Attached: 1521211217267.png (737x592, 93K)

Nautilus is awful

I tried ubuntu 18.04 with gnome and it has a bad mem leak. I guess this is a known critical issue in the bug tracker and still hasnt been fixed. I used the lastest ISO last week, updated everything, and after a few days RAM usage was 2GB higher afor no reason. Even if you closed everything it wouldnt release.

I am on da way.

Attached: 20181013202513.png (96x156, 5K)

>Blame the DE for the mem leak
Maybe it's time to realize that Ubuntu isn't that good of a distro

I've had this issue with any desktop environement that Ubuntu offers

>javascript desktop
>javascript desktop applications
>javascript server
>javascript video surveillance system
javascript OS when

Things change m8, things like KDE and Fedora used to be unstable and with annoying bugs. Now they're (almost) perfect every day drivers.

Unity was never good or better than anything, it was a crappy version of Gnome.

this, but openbox

Openbox is pretty nice too. I just got tired of floating windows.

bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=777537

Not a windows clone so the 25 year old boomer has to learn to do things differently. See: people literally shaking when they removed desktop icons.

It's the most popular one in a domain where there are other, less user friendly alternatives. So Jow Forums hipster hate it by default. See ubuntu etc.

I haven't experienced anything like that with xubuntu

Underrated post.

i don't get it

as a user gnome makes perfect sense to altho it can get a bit weird pressing super all the time
but it does minimize mouse travel to change windows and in concept is really great

I've had some problems at the end but I was already switching distros by the time of it. Xubuntu is in my opinion the best Ubuntu flavor available (when you're not making your own)

>"minimize mouse travel"
How about not needing to your mouse at all?
Use i3.

based

to use*
me retarded

Whats the appeal of MATE? i would put XFCE higher than LXDE and put KDE in the high tier.

I agree it works sometimes or even a lot of the time
but when the assumptions are wrong
(e.g the assumption that the user does not know their own directory structure as with typeahead vs search)
the usability breaks down in extremely painful ways

I use ctwm with a combination of mouse and keyboard and a lot of GTK/gnome applications are really painful to use because they somehow hate users who use the keyboard

>"KDE high tier"
If you're comparing them by ressouce hogging, you're right.

I've never heard of ctwm. I'll look it up.
And yeah mouse is essential sometimes but most of my applications are shortcut or terminal based.

>How about not needing to your mouse at all?
yeah right, how about not use xorg at all?
if i didn't use a mouse i'd just use tty

Main "innovations" in the last years has been removal of features and copying of 10 year old mac os guis

Yes.

KDE's resource hogging is getting lighter and lighter with each release, but thats why i would put it in high tier and not god tier

stop being negative, gdm and nautilus are finally nit that bad, some bug fixing was done

unless ur a boomer u dont need anything more than i3

Use PCManFM.
Even better: ranger

Runs and looks bad.

There is one already, there was a thread about it here.

Why do I have to wait for a DE to get better when there's already better DEs/WMs that do a better job?

>Use PCManFM.
i am, its the best, just noting crappy nautilus was working before