Why is vim better than sublime text? What about Emacs? I want to enter those territories now, feel like I'm ready!!!

Why is vim better than sublime text? What about Emacs? I want to enter those territories now, feel like I'm ready!!!

Help me Jow Forums samas

Attached: vimvssublime2.png (1403x627, 219K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=d6iY_1aMzeg&list=PLX2044Ew-UVVv31a0-Qn3dA6Sd_-NyA1n
youtube.com/watch?v=Nim4_f5QUxA
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4I_Ft-VLAg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

sublime is masterrace.
/board

Install Microsoft Visual Studio Code.

Go for Emacs, Vim is an amazing text editor but Emacs can do anything vim does, but vim can't do everything Emacs does.
youtube.com/watch?v=d6iY_1aMzeg&list=PLX2044Ew-UVVv31a0-Qn3dA6Sd_-NyA1n
nice Emacs tutorials.

And don't use sublime, it's proprietary shitware

dd, I, A, Shift+V, :

What can emacs do that vim can't?

bscode>all

emacs would be a good operating system if you could change the text editor to vim

The only good thing about emacs is that it copied vim

Kill yourself, commie.

>EXWM
You can use Emacs itself as a window manager, better than i3, dwm or pretty much any meme ricer shit.
>ORG mode
A really powerful component of emacs, keep your configs and life organized, convert to LaTeX, HTML, Beamer, etc..

and the list goes on really, the package repository is amazing, the update frequency/quality is also good comapred to vim

Have shitty keybindings

You can open vim or sublime inside an Emacs, but you can't do the other way around

>What can emacs do that vim can't?
it can decently emulate vim inside itself

Tienes que regresar, Juan

why would I do that instead of just using vim?
all I need it for is a text editor. I have a fine window manager, etc. already
unix philosophy, etc,etc.

the problem with emacs is that the defaults are horrible, and the inside is a frankenstein monster mess, and you can't really configure it without learning all the details behind it, for example in vim if you want to change how files are opened you install an extension and you forget about it, in emacs you install an extension and then it will work or not work depending on the mode your are using and you'll spend hours configuring it until it does what it's supposed to do

i'm still learning it because orgmode is great, but it's the worst designed shit i've seen in my whole life. it's probably worth it once you know how all the insides work, but it's basically unusable until you learn how everything is implemented

>ram 1gb
No thanks

Same stupid thing emac-stards always say
>Emacs also makes toast and that's why it's a better editor
Who the fuck cares?! How is your bloaty piece of shit software at editing text?

GNU's not Unix.

vim is a pure text editor, it does nothing more than that

emacs wants to mediate all activities in your life and will corrupt your soul

sublime text is a toy for web developers and gays

you're right
it's shitty commieware

>sublime text is a toy

Attached: 38E88B25-CB3B-489E-9BD5-B37258C7E523.jpg (480x403, 42K)

vscode is superior

for you, it's probably not. if you only use one machine, you can trick it out with sublime or spacemacs or intellij or whatever the fuck you want, and you don't have to learn vi. but if you end up working in sysadmin/operations you had better know vi, because nobody's going to wait for you to get your editor of choice all nice and cozy on every box you're SSHing into. they're going to tell you to just fucking open vi and fix the thing, because every machine has vi.

Vimscript is turing complete, vim can do everything emacs can do.
Emacs however cant be nonbloat, and can't do only one thing and do it well.

sublime is trash for idiots
slow garbage for people who can't type faster than 50 wpm and don't care about efficiency
I don't know much about emacs but it is ugly and bloated

a properly good editor doesn't exist yet but vim with a few plugins for coloration and completion is pretty good if you are a fast thinker and don't want to waste time typing the same thing more than once

Both were written in 76', this is a good thing, Vi is really good, but Emacs is better.
>esc i esc i esc i esc a esc e 78 j
> FUCK WHERES MY CLIPBOARD
are you retarded to preffer this instead of a single ctrl press?
It's often difficult to express the power of emacs, try it out first, learn the basics, buffer, windows, org mode.
>wating 5 minutes to load gui stuff
Emacs is /comfy/ okkay?
That shit can't load even basic plugins properly, you need to compile it with PyThOn to stand a chance. and good luck with the errors

>I don't know much about emacs but it is ugly and bloated
just compile the thing! it's not that hard to fire up the configure and choose what to include

I think I got my answer. Vim is going to be my choice, though Emacs evil mode looks appealing, has too much hassle with customising and stuff

Vim is basically defacto on every machine, and I don't need to memorise keybinds again and again with it

>Both were written in 76'
vi was written in 76, Vim is much newer.

That's like saying you just need a hammer that hits 6 and a half inch nails made of steel and nothing else, rather than a hammer that can hit anything, nails, chairs, people.

Vim can only edit text files by lines. Emacs can edit any text: files, directories, HTTP requests, shells, terminals, SFTP, etc.

>because every machine has vi.
Noob detected. You're better off learning ed.

fuck emacs

Attached: serveimage-1.jpg (425x425, 23K)

Most modern machines actually don't have ed preinstalled anymore. They do have vi or vim though.

Emacs4lyfe.

Pick Vim or Emacs and learn it well. Either is fine.

Vim

youtube.com/watch?v=Nim4_f5QUxA

Exactly, you're a noob. There are a ton of machines with only ed or not even that. Of course a webdev juggling digital ocean containers won't know about that.

Use emacs if you have a poor memory. Then you can CTRL+META+ALT+SOME_KEY yourself to nirvana.

Far easier than dksjqo29rogmqka soq02n goos just to scroll down a few lines and kill a paragraph

wat?

xx gg where xx is the line #
d xx gg where xx is the last line of the paragraph

Wow, so hard. I'd rather get carpal tunnel instead.

Attached: 1507686249571.png (645x729, 70K)

How about click at the start of the paragraph, drag to the end of the paragraph, let go, and hit backspace like a sane person

how to /comfy/ vim
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4I_Ft-VLAg

>carpal tunnel
Shit meme
Vim also requires one to have a full-size US keyboard with keypad to work
And vimscript or whatever is aids pure, compared to eLISP
Need to change first to scroll mode, then to delete mode then to accept changes mode

Wat? I use a TKL. Don't need the keypad at all. I'll agree vimscript is shit, but I don't write the plugins, and I'm not gonna sit there writing my own in eLISP when others did the hard work for me.

You could do that (d instead of backspace though).

Use Kakoune

Attached: kakoune.webm (958x527, 726K)

It's more like saying you prefer having a separate hammer, screw driver and pliers instead of a big tool that has all of them attached together.

20-year Emacs user here. I would recommend vim. The shortcuts are easier on your fingers and wrists long term. Carpal tunnel is real.

You can do more powerful things with Emacs as a platform but you can do more things with modal editing as a paradigm. If I weren't an oldfag I'd switch but Emacs is just like mother's milk to me at this point so I stay here.

>not using ctrl-c instead of esc
>using i/a constantly
Just because you've only spent an hour using vim doesn't mean that its shit. Learn how to actually use it before you start shitting all over it

No, you don't need to change to "scroll mode" with a good editor. You just do it.