Distro Hopping Thread

What is your current distro hopping cycle, anons?

Mine currently is Ubuntu -> Fedora -> Manjaro -> Antergos -> Void

Is there a particular reason why you keep distro hopping? What's better between distro hopping and learning to live with the same distro everyday?

Attached: 101106-0005.png (1097x730, 952K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md#system-tools
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The biggest difference between distros is in their package manages, and how updates are handled. Provided your distro matches your preferred style (like rolling release with newest stable releases of everything and little reason to even add 3rd party repositories) you should have no reason to switch. Nowadays pretty much every single distro uses systemd, so differences are minimal at best. You can use ArchWiki as documentation for almost every distro (and I've found it useful even for setting up OpenBSD).
Just pick one that isn't shit (like Arch) and stick with it.

>The biggest difference between distros is in their package manages
This and their init system. You get more familiar with the second once you start automating stuff or need some specialized setup.

For me the endgame was CRUX. I dabbled with Debian, Ubuntu, and finally Devuan (not including many other distros here), so I stay with Devuan for when I need something quick and CRUX for when I have ready the set of scripts I need.

That's why I currently use Void. I like Arch but it's a pain in the ass sometimes. Void makes it simpler for me and it's kinda mindblowing how many packages are available for an independent distro like this.

I tried devuan with sysvinit and I wasn't really satisfied. Then I tried Void with runit and I find it pretty awesome. I might try devuan again with runit.

To be honest the init system is not just the init "daemon", there is also the "service manager". Runit and OpenRC are those service managers. Granted, they both include an optional init of their own nowadays, but it just shows how complex the whole init "system" is and that it goes beyond of what most people know. For example, old veterans will remember the service manager daemontools, there is a recent version now too. Take a loot at different daemons, managers and others github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md#system-tools

Mint -> Arch -> Windows

Windows 10 -> Fedora

Windows -> Ubuntu -> Lubuntu -> Debian -> Arch -> Fedora/CentOS -> DragonFlyBSD -> Slackware
Arch was a mistake but the documentation is top notch.

>2004
>SimplyBEPIS

Attached: 364.png (448x357, 3K)

Fedora made me stop distro hopping. It is literally perfect.

>the documentation is top notch
*was, is now becoming shit

Explain.

Here I go:
Windows -> Ubuntu -> Windows -> Debian -> Windows -> OpenSUSE -> Fedora -> Windows -> Manjaro -> Windows -> Manjaro -> Windows -> Debian -> Windows -> Xubuntu -> Windows -> Deepin -> Fedora -> Arch (installed yesterday)

Oh man looks like you're just getting started.
Try Void when you get tired of Arch

Dunno, my problem with other distros was that I didn't know what I had installed and what broke so I was full paranoid mode. Let's see what problem rises to me on Arch.

windows -> ubuntu -> arch -> windows

high five

May Stallman have mercy on your soul

Windows - Ubuntu - debian so far. Might try devuan or arch in the future, but I like my current setup.

Don't try arch if you like your current setup. Maybe devuan if you despize systemd but honestly I don't really see the point in using a systemd-less debian.

Very stable, fresh packages without too much distro specific shit added, free as freedom without making it hard to get closed stuff, and a great package manager.

Careful, fedoras are like those arch users baiting everyone into their distros for no reason
>I don't really see the point in using a systemd-less debian
apt not being locked by systemd-update
faster boot times
faster shutdown times
trying other inits
lightweight system
if you do programming your stuff is not locked to systemd stuff

Go back to Ubuntu until you will be comfortable to stay without Windows.

>baiting everyone into their distros for no reason
install gentoo

Actually ggentoo was harmed by that meme. A distro so difficult but recommended to new users? Goddamn Jow Forums, I cant imagine how many users GNU/Linux lost thanks to that. Still, Gentoo is fine for advanced users who know what they want.

>when you divide and conquer yourself but then pretend that being divided and conquered is what makes you good
Just Linux Things.

The only reason for so many distros is ego.

Ubuntu -> Xubuntu -> openSUSE -> Xubuntu -> Windows 7

Attached: 1510272481074.jpg (803x505, 81K)

Ubuntu and Fedora are both fine, but Fedora (for worse or better), is effectively a Redhat distro, and the most influential force on all of the other Linux distros (SystemD and soon Wayland).

Fedora's packages are also more up-to-date than Ubuntu's.

>The only reason for so many distros is ego.
>implying choices are bad
kys walled garden lover

Not them, but while choice is a good thing, you can't dismiss the fact that there are drawbacks to not having more people working on one thing, instead of creating pointless forks and distros or new versions of something that already exist.

>choices
It's a totally false paradigm for choice, because they're pretty much all just Debian or Fedora/Red Hat with "look at me!" changes.
98% of distros now default to SystemD, so where's the choice in that?

And a choice between about three or four legitimately different distros is far more valuable than a choice between four hundred with them all just based on that three or four.

The reason why so many people are on the Linux ship is because they have the freedom to do things they want. Think on that for a moment.

There is so much wrong this this post I am just going to ignore it, ok.

>they have the freedom to do things they want

>
So you’re trying to tell people how to live their lives? Go fuck yourself slave driver.
>you MUST work on one distro!!!1!!
>you MUST work on what I NEED!!
Don’t like it? Don’t use it.

Imagine falling for punditry this hard.

NPC spotted.

>gets angry because people want freedom to choose
One of these posts must work for RedHat.

>so much freedom
>all are shitty tiling wm setups or just windows/macos skinned differently
epic

on main pc windows 8 -> windows 10 -> dualboot ubuntu / windows 10 -> windows 10 -> debian -> opensuse -> dualboot debian / windows 10 -> windows 7

on laptop windows 8 -> windows 10 -> ubuntu -> debian

If you seriously think that is all other distros are you are either a noob or a RedHat employee.

>quote a post
>w-why are you so angry!!!

Fuck off retard, half this shit is literally the same thing with a different skin.

Attached: file.png (133x218, 3K)

What most people need, and what most people want, is fulfilled by those few major distros on which all the others are based.

Please explain the benefit to the ecosystem ToOpPy, Omoikane, and Pardus Topluluk, provide.

As I said, it's not a real choice. It's like if you had a hundred different brands of toothpaste, but it's all just Aquafresh.

>half this shit is literally the same thing
>all are shitty tiling wm setups or just windows/macos skinned differently

Which one to believe? Fuck off.

I can agree with being angry at the lack of cooperation and and the rebranding craze, but if you look at other distros than the forks then there is literally no excuse of attacking freedom.

can't we all just install gentoo and get along :^)

>Ubuntu
>Fedora
>Manjaro
>Arch
>Debian
>Back to ubuntu

>is effectively a Redhat distro
Aren't they CIA niggers?

For reference
>Manjaro = Arch
>Mint = Ubuntu = Debian
>elementary = Ubuntu = Debian
>MX Linux = Debian
>Ubuntu = Debian
>Debian = Debian
>Fedora = Fedora/RHEL
>Solus = Solus
>OpenSuse = OpenSuse (though it used to be Red Hat based, and still is in many ways)
>Zorin = Ubuntu = Debian

>Which one to believe?
Do you lack reading comprehension?
The point in both sentences is the same - you have all of "muh freedoms" but at the end of the day all the main distros are based on the same shit and people have fundamentally the same rices/setups anyway.

Yeah, but distrowatch is good for noobs, and for more experience people can be good too if you know how to use their search engine. That is how I learn and tried stuff until I've found there is a real difference beyond just looks.

>KDE Neon not on the chart
the absolute state

Knoppix -> Debian -> Ubuntu -> Slackware -> Arch

And in your own words, what is this """"""""""""real difference""""""""""""?

Freedom is a fucking buzzword, especially in relation to software where there are massive limitations on all fronts in regards to what you can and can't do.

Ubuntu > Debian (#!) > Arch > Ubuntu again for like 3 years. Now I hopped into Fedora after I got a job dealing with CentOS and haven't looked back.

Urgh. Like. I can't even. The FREEDOM of CHOICE. Duh!

Ubuntu -> Debian -> Arch -> Devuan

Fuck off back to whatever shithole you came from, and that isn't even an answer you stupid faggot, you can install any DE on any distro.

Ok, one of these fuckers has to be a CIAnigger. Attacking freedom of choice only serves RedHat/NSA.

Attached: fuck off.jpg (1920x818, 73K)

>still no argument

Congratulations! Your post has been selected as the most Reddit comment of the day! Please contact the moderators to receive your free year of Jow Forums Gold™.

Mint->Debian->Lubuntu->Kubuntu->Ubuntu->Ubintu MATE

>Attacking freedom of choice only serves RedHat/NSA.
Pretty much every single distro uses SystemD and is reliant on GTK. The choice of "not Red Hat" is an illusion.

>Urgh. Like. I can't even.
Kill yourself.

i stick to arch for desktop/laptop and debian for everything else.
gentoo with systemd for shitposting

main rig :

ubuntu 9.04 -> kubuntu 10.04 -> kubuntu 12.04 -> ubuntu 14.04 ->xubuntu 16.04 ->xubuntu 18.04

other computer:

knoppix -> debian 5 -> fedora -> manjaro -> mageia -> mandriva -> void -> gentoo -> arch

I use ubuntu basically, but I like to try other distros for shit an giggles.

Calm down, the idiot is an obvious troll impersonating my other posts. Some of the posts attacking freedom of choice are trolls too, they are not even using your argument.

Not all distros are re-skinned forks, some have crucial differences in how the package programs and how they work internally.

One of you made this So, impersonating another poster. How is that not from a CIAnigger?

fuck off back to lebbit

So if that wasn't you, can you actually answer the fucking question then?

W10 -> Ubuntu -> Kubuntu -> KDE Neon -> Manjaro -> Arch -> OpenSUSE -> Arch -> Ubuntu -> Arch

Attached: 1522907209893.png (1082x695, 503K)

>some have crucial differences in how the package programs and how they work internally.
I guarantee you this isn't as different as they want you to believe considering they're all reliant on the Linux kernel.

So, the posters attacking freedom of choice are now impersonating to win. Fucking CIAniggers, this is why RedHat is suspected to be married to the NSA.

I don't consider the choice of DE to be sufficient difference of course. But not all those are not working against their parent fork either, just offering a different theme.

A good difference is big things, like the package manager and init. Look at debian, many jumped to devuan because of that. They wanted the same package manager but with a different choice, this is why systemd divided the community.

Also, a problem I agree is when the layers on top the package manager are dividing too, Like Mint, where you have apt but the repos are treated slightly different. This divide is not something I like, but is there. This is dhy Debian was right when they complained at Ubuntu of not contributing enough to upstream.

But then you have crucial differences, like Exherbo and Gentoo. They do had different takes, but at first this division was political as far as I know.

So, I am not saying I agree with all divisions, but between package managers and inits those are very real.

Attached: every time someone speaks out.jpg (900x900, 89K)

>the programs are all the same, but how you get them is different
>this counts as legitimate choice
Also
>init
>pretty much all distros use systemd

>package manager
All work in fundamentally the same way and make no difference to the actual day to day usage.
>init
SystemD is on pretty much every mainstream distro.
>the repos are treated slightly different
Are you retarded? Just add it to sources.list, it's literally the same shit as what it's based on.
> this division was political as far as I know
Wow, so it's nothing to do with the actual OS. Epic argument. Also, Exherbo is still a Gentoo fork, which is literally my point. It's the same shit in the end.

You clearly have no idea what you're on about.

If you say that you are not a programmer or you are straight up a liar.
>pushing systemd as the ONLY init
CIAnigger you are glowing.

>If you say that you are not a programmer or you are straight up a liar.
The end user doesn't give a fuck about choices in package manager, and to the end user it doesn't matter. Does it install the software I want it to and does it keep it up to date? Then it's a good package manager.
>CIAnigger you are glowing.
It's the reality of the situation you absolute chump. There's an increasing number of programs that will try to pull in SystemD as a requirement by default and if you ave SystemD it will take over.

arch > gentoo
I still want to try something like guixsd or nix at some point but I don't think I'll change for a while

>All work in fundamentally the same way and make no difference to the actual day to day usage.
I seriously say this because of your ignorance and I am not answering to a CIAnigger. Just the filesystem and static vs dynamic libraries are a big discussion.
Many other differences exist and the most recent are the bundle of libraries with applications (snaps, appimages and flatpaks).
>SystemD is on pretty much every mainstream distro.
Sorry, I dont share the herd mentality and didnt use systemd. Many others dont and this is another BIG reason for having differences.
>Are you retarded? Just add it to sources.list, it's literally the same shit as what it's based on.
Even when between Ubuntu and Debian, attempting to include different sources breaks sutff. This is more true where the init in Debian has translated in an all eating blob.
>Wow, so it's nothing to do with the actual OS. Epic argument. Also, Exherbo is still a Gentoo fork, which is literally my point. It's the same shit in the end.
I was being honest. But if you take my word then at least be polite to recognize I am telling the truth and now Exherbo and Gentoo are different.
>You clearly have no idea what you're on about.
Keep the conversation polite. I am not in a mood to entertain faggotry.

ms-dos --> dr dos --> freedos --> win95/dos --> red hat

Ok, you win. Now fuck off.

xfce -> pacman -> wayland ->explorer ->systemd -> vim

>blah blah t-they're different!!!
>make no difference to the actual day to day usage
Read, retard.
>I use muh niche init!
That doesn't change the fact that SystemD is in the vast majority of distros, which is exactly my point.
>Even when between Ubuntu and Debian, attempting to include different sources breaks sutff.
No shit? I was jsut countering your point that mint having a different source it pulls packages from makes it some great difference worth mentioning when you can do the same thing on any other distro and it won't break unless you fucked something up or there is additional dependencies etc.
>Exherbo and Gentoo are different
lol

I would like to re-iterate, you clearly have no idea what you're on about, and all you've done is ramble about muh cianiggers instead of coming up with some actually decent points.

I was agreeing with your point when mentioning Mint. Congrats, you can't even understand an argument agreeing with you. Now fuck off.

We've really done a number on you, haven't we/

>no actual argument
You sure convinced me.

Also, literally how is
>Even when between Ubuntu and Debian, attempting to include different sources breaks sutff. This is more true where the init in Debian has translated in an all eating blob.
agreeing with
Just add it to sources.list, it's literally the same shit as what it's based on.
in any way?

For me it's been back and forth mint and Ubuntu then Debian -> opensuse on Chromebook. Solid Debian for now though. Ubuntu just gave me annoying crash reports. Debian and opensuse are more fun to work with whereas Ubuntu and mint "do everything for you" and you don't really learn Linux. Especially for someone that wants to get into Linux admin

FInally put Void on the desktop as well. I think this is the end of the line for me.

Good to hear that user.

Debian -> Arch -> Fedora
it just works

redhat - debian - fedora - ubuntu - neon - solus - crunchbang - archlabs - arch

Windows > Debian > Windows > Crunchbang > Arch > Gentoo

I would try Fedora, but I have heard it isn't possible to get non free software from the repositories. How do you deal with this? Do you simply only use free software?

old school Macintosh>msdos>windows>msdos>windows for like 8 years>windows7>puppy linux>windows 10

I'm only 25 lol

Mine is between Manjaro and a random one i come across or get recommended for example: Siduction. Currently as a my main i'm using arch.

I think you just have to enable the non-free repo

winxp > linux > win7 > macos

Brainlet.

I see so many replies that say 'Ubuntu'.
I wanna vomit.

win 95
win 7
manjaro
debian

no more hopping

Whatch