/FUCKOFF/ - Free Urself from Corporate Kidnap; Obtain Full Freedom General

>Modern software no longer puts the user first. Modern technology and services are designed to kidnap your time, kidnap your money, and kidnap your freedom.
>Technology has improved, yet our lives have become worse. Technological advancements are no longer used to benefit users, but to further exploit them.

>Stand up, take back your freedom, and most importantly, tell modern corporations to /FUCKOFF/.

Use this general to discuss alternatives to harmful technology, both digital and traditional.
Ask for advice on alternatives, report your experience of using them, or discuss the latest FOSS developments.

> Links

Attached: FUCKOFF.png (768x614, 184K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/netflix.html
nextcloud.com/
syncthing.net/
panopticlick.eff.org/
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/right-anonymity-matter-privacy
supporters.eff.org/donate
privacytools.io/
prism-break.org/en/
emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/
wakeup-world.com/2011/11/25/erasing-your-digital-footprint/
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-youtube-viewing-and-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect
web.archive.org/web/20170321010933/https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-how-to-remain-secure-surveillance
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/SECURITY.md
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Deblobing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

To the user who replied to the last thread pointing out my retarded typo, thanks, I was going to reply and say I was deleting the thread to recreate but obviously you'd never see it.
Pls repost your reply here, was a good post.

i am posting from midori browser now, it seems a good replacement for firefox. it has a basic adblocker and noscript alternative though i miss umatrix. also i like using netflix occasionally which it does not support (though from your image that seems like a feature), and it also has trouble with javascript sometimes it seems. i may not be able to post this at all, unless turning nojs off and back on actually fixed it

>netflix
botnet
stallman.org/netflix.html

>File Synchronisation
Don't let a company like dropbox store all your personal data on their servers and charge you a monthly fee for doing so. Use libre alternatives to do it yourself!

>Full Featured
Use Nextcloud to host you own cloud file server, with all the bells and whistles you could ever need.
Runs well enough on a raspberry pi, so you can finally put the one that's been kicking about in your drawer for the past 2 years to good use.
nextcloud.com/

>Simple
Syncthing allows super easy P2P file synchronisation between two devices (even phones).
Can be set up in just minutes, and works flawlessly.
syncthing.net/

Attached: syncthing_logo.png (400x400, 50K)

Ugh this bullshit again. Fiddling around with sub-par alternatives is a waste of time.

Linux has no games

5 rupees have been deposited into your accounts

Still more than apple shit

Great title
Great topic
Great OP

this does not apply to me, the only information netflix obtains about me is my ip as it is not my own account i am using. and besides it is a paid service, it therefore needs billing information, there is nothing inherently wrong with paid services. provided both parties are satisfied money serves its purpose

>botnet
Nothing in there states it is a botnet.

>he thinks netflix isn't datamining the fuck out of him

Are you illiterate?

>doesn't allow anonymous payment
>logs what you view
>uses drm
>can't access through VPN/proxy/Tor

Low test post

Syncthing works anything but flawlessly, nextcloud is pretty bloated and requires dumb shit like chown nginx:nginx to all your files. Out of the two, nextcloud feels like the best.

>Alternatives to file synch
How does Jow Forums feel about using servers you rent to backup your files, perhaps with redundant storage, and across 2 or more hosts? I think this would mean you would only be analyzed by the host company that owns the servers, but I am curious about this as a method to remove the botnet from your code repos and save money if you happen to already rent servers.

Obviously, it's just a kernel.

its a media streaming service, that is genuinely a feature to be shown shows similar to what i like

>IT DOESN"T TAKE MY BUTTCOIN BAGS

I say this in direct comparison to using a code hosting service like github, bitbucket, or gitlab.

All I need is a GUI chan browser for the desktop. I'm surprised there isn't one worth using already.

Attached: 1536901656116.jpg (1000x1376, 140K)

So how does that fit into the botnet definition?

Lurk more newfag

Retard.
>uuugh i dont understand it so its botnet

Just encrypt everything before you upload it and you're perfectly fine.
I've personally never bothered with offsite backups because the price is so high, it's cheaper to just buy a 1TB portable HDD and keep it on you at all times than pay for a single year of 1TB cloud storage.

Has anyone made a w3m-img Jow Forums terminal browser yet?

Ok CIAnigger

Attached: 1456792752488.png (2992x2992, 531K)

Dumb sperg

>you will never live anonymously in a multi-million metropolis with neon-lights dimly flashing through the rain-filled sky while you sit in your small (but comfy!) squatted studio hacking MEGACORP's private servers

Privacy On Internet. Check how traceable you are:
panopticlick.eff.org/

The Right to Anonymity is a Matter of Privacy | Electronic Frontier Foundation
eff.org/deeplinks/2012/01/right-anonymity-matter-privacy

Support the Electronic Frontier Foundation
supporters.eff.org/donate

GENERAL LIST OF TOOLS

Privacy Tools - Encryption against global mass surveillance privacytools.io/

PRISM Break - Opt out of global data surveillance programs like PRISM, XKeyscore, and Tempora prism-break.org/en/

EMAIL

Email Self-Defense - a guide to fighting surveillance with GnuPG encryption
emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

ERASE FOOTPRINT

Erasing Your Digital Footprint
wakeup-world.com/2011/11/25/erasing-your-digital-footprint/

How to Remove Your YouTube Viewing and Search History: eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-youtube-viewing-and-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy

How to Remove Your Google Search History: eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/how-remove-your-google-search-history-googles-new-privacy-policy-takes-effect

NSA surveillance: how to stay secure
web.archive.org/web/20170321010933/https://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-how-to-remain-secure-surveillance

All me btw
also post-op if that matters

What did you mean by this?

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-13_20-57-44.png (347x133, 9K)

Do you glow in the dark?

Actually it has plenty of totally 100% free software games.

Any comments on this github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/SECURITY.md

Tux racer and battle of wesnoth come to mind but that's bout it and they're crap.

Xonotic is pretty good

That just looks like something youd play out of spite

>2012
>It is important to note that disabling Web History in your Google account will not prevent Google from gathering and storing this information and using it for internal purposes.
Wew

>kidnapping your freedom
Please consider rewriting the OP and other premade replies as if you're a person communicating with other people instead of whatever this is supposed to be.

Free software games is a dumb idea really

How long has Stallman been warning us about the dangers of giving up our computing freedom by using proprietary software.

The only reason there is a debate is because some fucktards want to defend their use of Instagram or [fill in the blank of any other proprietary soul raping service or software].

Attached: b3d24fb241ec203b8c27ae3d4d3fd60e16a6b4f94af1816bdd4e44a8954a4ec9 (1).jpg (400x267, 36K)

woah nice another useless fucking general, whats that now, 40?

Stop whining, "free software" is not good enough to fight for

Thankfully he is no longer alone. The FSF joined forces with several other privacy concerned groups and projects like GNUnet exist. They just need more time to give us true privacy on the net.

Attached: GNU Internet.jpg (1023x721, 100K)

Gentoo users please use
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel_Deblobing

Other users please switch to Parabola/Trisquel.

In fredom we trust.

I don't think is hard to download and build Linux-libre these days. At least on CRUX is entirely optional which kernel you want.

Well, when you are getting ass raped by some company that you have given your freedom away to...you will indeed be the one who is whining.

Do you even understand where free software is used? If you did, you wouldn't be making such flippant statements. The internet, as we know it, would not exist without free software.

As GBS said:
The rational man accepts the world as it is and works with it.
The irrational man doesn't accept the world as it is and works against it.
Therefore all human progress depends on the irrational man.

Debian is better by default than trisquel since they are up to date with security patches. Trisquel is currently based off of ubuntu 16.04 which is even older than current debian.

Moronic wishful thinking.
Why, because companies cheap out on windows servers?
>as we know it
Oh you mean like javascript and malware?

Great quote tbhfam

>Paypal
What alternatives are there to Paypal? All websites like PayPal including Paypal itself fucks you over. And most people use Paypal as their main payment system. How can you even create a website like it without breaking any laws?

Attached: 1535042239254.jpg (1280x720, 164K)

A wire transfer is when you (payee) give your bank account number (IBAN, SWIFT, etc) to the payer. They then give this information to their bank, and tell their bank to transfer the money to your bank account. This has been the standard way of sending money to foreign countries for decades.

wire transfers are highly regulated and banks can and will ban you for wrongthink or "high risk" business practices.

banks are one of the highest regulated industries and keep massive data of every customer, as required by law, if you are trying to be "free" from corporations then why are you running to banks?

Of all the things in that image I only use eBay and Amazon with pre-paid cards I buy in cash. How am I doing?

Attached: 1539286646893.jpg (208x464, 11K)

how do you escape visa / mastercard or any other kosher card system?

I'd love to leave it but every wagecuckie workplace requires this as well as a phone number, I know that uncucking myself would be the way to go to live freely but I am on the way to that and it will take me maybe one more year of griniding before I do so

Why would a workplace require you to give card details?
All I had to give to my work was my bank account details so they could pay me.

Don't use credit cards. Keep a minimum balance and just stop using the cards. Use cash as often as you possibly can. The only way you can defeat the banking jew is by starving him to death. If everyone did this they'd have no more money. Just take out as much as you can with every paycheck after you've paid your bills. Then use it to buy silver and stash it under your floor. Why silver (or any other precious metal)? Because anyone who robs your house will have a bitch of a time lugging it up or down the stairs. If your house burns down it'll still be there. If there's a financial collapse paper money will be worthless but your silver is always there for you.

Attached: 1538854196936.png (965x859, 107K)

what I meant was actually banking as a whole, it seems kinda funny to me to be "freeing" yourself just partially from the likes of google and microsoft but still having your bank checking on you wherever you are, example being plane ticket confirmations and rms spoke about it in one of the interviews, this leaves me to a conclusion that in fact it might be even impossible by today's standards not to have a bank account

freeing yourself to me seems to make sense only in the terms of discipline, not to mindlessly crawl the internet but instead using it more as a tool to peek on the outside world

goodnight anons

Best alt for google calendar, for android and for linux

>A friend once asked me to watch a video with her that she was going to display on her computer using Netflix. I declined, saying that Netflix was such a threat to freedom that I felt uncomfortable with legitimizing it in this way.

This is acceptable behavour in eyes of privacy-fags.

>Basic Level Security
Level 1: Avoid using your real name online and avoid giving away any personal information. Use The Random Identity Generator (rig) to generate an online persona and/or login sites using passwords from BugMeNot.
Level 2: Don't save your passwords on plaintext or in some "cloud" service like Lastpass and don't save logins on your phone or web browser. Create and remember one good main password (must have lowercase, uppercase, numbers and symbols, be longer than 8 characters and be change bimonthly), use KeePassX (and I mean the one with an X) and use the option to generate different passwords for each account you have and keep the password database on a USB. Other password manager is kpcli which works on the command line and is just a perl script (this is the best option).
Level 3: Choose IRC instead of non-publicly auditable chat networks. A good and easy IRC application is Hexchat, another is irssi (best option). You can use BitlBee to access other chat networks through an IRC client if you need.
Level 4: Use Searx instead of Google when in need to search on the web.
Level 5: Use Mastodon/GNU Social instead of non-publicly auditable social networks known to sell private information.
Level 6 Use RSS for news and podcasts from sites you trust instead of Youtube (although Youtube has an RSS feed for their channels too, for now). Liferea is easy, newsboat (newsbeuter) is a command line option.
Level 7: Replace your e-mail provider with a more safe, more appropriate provider. A good option is Tutanota, another alternative is cock.li.
Level 8: Use an e-mail client that can to block web beacons (tracking pixels). Thunderbird is easy and has a plugin for this. Mailx, Mutt or Alpine are better options.
Level 9: Use your web browser with javascript, cookies and any telemetry (like "pocket", geolocation and WebRTC) disabled and reduce the browser fingerprinting. Enable javascript and cookies only on selected sites. GNU IceCat is the best option.

>bending your virtues at the request of some thot
Not gonna make it

Netflix and redpill

Use carddav/caldav with your email host for contacts/calendar respectively.
Any desktop email client should support them (Thunderbird). For android you will need davdroid, available in fdroid

Quake engine games are still played regularly by a lot of people. Not as regularly today as 10-20 years ago tho.

>linux is free
>*implements CoC*
nothin personnel kid

I feel the same way about Chrome. I can't believe people used to actually install it back in 2008.