Windows or macOS users, what is something that needs to happen first before you would permanently switch to GNU/Linux?

Windows or macOS users, what is something that needs to happen first before you would permanently switch to GNU/Linux?
Please no meme answers, lies, shilling or any other bullshit. Be honest. Thank you!

Attached: tux-face.png (948x1000, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lesswrong.com/posts/reitXJgJXFzKpdKyd/beware-trivial-inconveniences
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dd#Disk_cloning_and_restore
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Synchronization_and_backup_programs
evonide.com/non-root-gpu-passthrough-setup/
youtube.com/watch?v=s_8KR-n2fBQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

If i could play gaymes and run my software nativly, I would have switched a long time ago

Nothing, I'm already there. Linux on home desktop, Linux on school laptop, Linux at work.

Maybe I'll switch when KDE is a little more polished, stable and works better with NVIDIA GPUs (or I switch to ayymd)
Windows 10 just feels more solid you know. Like an appliance rather than an understaffed project I have to babysit. KDE Neon (which is the best distro for me, because of kdialog+fractional DPI scaling) feels more rough around the edges than windows.
Also I'm not sure if I can pirate PHPStorm and other IDEs as easily as in Windows, plus since I'm a generalist freelancer I have the option of doing WIndows C# and C++ development on Visual Studio.
AOMEI backupper is also a pretty nifty backup solution to do whole disk incremental images.
The option to engage in the occasional vidya without buying another GPU for PCIe passthrough is also nice

Attached: 1539309019532.jpg (3024x4032, 2.13M)

Linux runs on both my work desktop and home PC plus most of my home servers, save for a FreeBSD box

Its more of an ignorance thing. When I installed mint to my wife's grandparent's computer they couldn't tell the difference with the windows theme and wine installed

Which games/programs can you currently not play/run (natively or via WINE/Proton/DXVK), if I may ask?

Good trackpad drivers for linux.

it needs to feel like a tool that can get out of the way of my creativity, which it is extremely far from at this point. Feels like an OS I have to babysit to accomplish basic tasks

not him but I play GTA V at 4k with a 1060, so every FPS counts to get stable 60fps

Two things need to happen before I even think about touching SJWinux

1-It needs to just work. No, I don't want to spend an entire day learning esoteric sudo apt command line bullshit to do what Windows accomplishes in two clicks.

2-Compatibility.

this. it needs to become more like an appliance, and for that to happen it would have to be used by the majority of people so everything is made to work with it like is the case for windows now
maybe in 20 years from now

Attached: 1538706649824.png (600x500, 42K)

GNU/Linux is for servers and server-oriented software development. Stop trying to force the meme that it's an at all acceptable user-facing OS.

t. Linux user for probably longer than you were born.

fix shader compilation slowdown

Everything should be a point and click adventure. No terminal bs unless things are really fucked.
Cohesive direction. We don’t need 400+ distributions.
Software compatibility with top productivity, editing and leisure software.
Industry support and warranties.
A decent OOTB experience consistent across devices.
Support from all major OEMs/Manufacturers.

They need a good laptop. My MacBook Pro is hard to beat. I need to know I can do my work stuff with it. MSWord/Office365 is standard in my industry. Cross-platform cloud based services certainly make it more viable. The total FOSS bit isn’t at all practical in my industry.

??? You ever use Linux before?

Then wait until kwin's wayland implementation has matured a bit more.
Stop pirating jetbrains software. It's all java based though, so there's almost no difference between the releases for win/mac/linux.
You can use different and better tools for backing up entire drives on Linux. Don't cling on to a certain software when there are alternatives.
You don't have to use PCI passthrough to play (most) recent games. It depends on the title, but that's mostly just because of a certain anticheat software or DRM protection software that comes with the game.

I am older than Linux, but thanks for spamming your shit memes in a thread where I kindly asked not to meme...

4K? Why the hell?

I bought it for programming but upscaling looks like shit so I have to use 4k for vidya too

>install ubuntu
>mouse acceleration max by default with no way to disable it
absolutely fucking crippling, what a shit fucking OS

Attached: 1327102378869.jpg (364x310, 19K)

Not that user, but I would be more worried about mods and little third-party tools than anything else. A lot of games I like need something extra, like a mod manager, special .exe or hook dll or custom mission launcher or something. Even if something like Proton works for the base game, you still have to set that stuff up yourself with Wine (pointing at the same prefix or w/e), and hope everything works. And desu a lot of those sort of tools already require a bit of fiddling to get working right even in Windows.

My other worry is that stuff would feel fragile, like alt-tab from a game might crash my system or something. Windows used to feel that way too but 7 is stable as fuck and I'm spoiled now. But it might be that Linux has gotten better about that since I tried it, I hope so.

I will probably be forced to deal with it at some point when Win7 finally gives out on me. I just hope linux has a good OOB DE by then, all the current options either seem to suck (gnome) or require customization

Not a meme, I agree with him. I would never run Linux on my desktop, the same way I would never run anything but Linux for my servers.

Lack of any overclocking, lack of driver support for GPUs

If I buy a laptop i'll put debian on there but I really need windows for my main PC. It's the little things that add up which piss me off in linux

>Stop pirating jetbrains software
Why? I've tried netbeans and it's diarrhea mixed with vomit and nigger's semen, what other options do I have?
>You can use different and better tools for backing up entire drives on Linux. Don't cling on to a certain software when there are alternatives.
Such as? Name one tool that does incremental imaging of disks and also allows backups to be easily mounted, while ignoring unpartitioned and filesystem free space, and offering compression. Bonus points for an easy GUI for brainlets.
>You don't have to use PCI passthrough to play (most) recent games. It depends on the title, but that's mostly just because of a certain anticheat software or DRM protection software that comes with the game.
And lose 20-50% FPS? Yeah no. But I could dual boot since I don't play that often, so that isn't a primary concern.

Thank you, friend.

I also specified GNU/Linux rather than just plain Linux because Android/Linux is clearly an acceptable user-facing OS,

I expect that eventually Android will eat away at Windows and we'll get Linux on the desktop that way. But we won't get it with X and the various rigamarole that is currently part of a (GNU/)Linux desktop.

i've actually switched after i've heard about dxvk
I had enough of windows 10 bullshit
I don't play games often but its very nice to be able to play my favorite autistic japanese rpgs and darksouls

Been using linux since 1995 (RH) and switched to linux full time after XP. I was poor and couldn't and wouldn't buy a 7 licence. And I was dead fed up with activation nagging after hardware changes, so I went distro hopping until I stopped at ubuntu. I can see others having the same reason for switching; economical and freedom reasons.

There are GUIs for all of these mundane shell/terminal tasks which you are talking about.
It's free software, of course there will be forks galore. This isn't a bad thing. Just stick to the big distros with a big team or corporation behind it.
The software catalog depends on the availability of the software. If certain developers/studios don't publish their software for Linux, it's their fault. This problem can only be fixed by increasing the market share. Tools like WINE will let you run most of the Windows exclusive software, though.
The OOTB experience is already good for most users on the bigger distros.

People who are fiddling with mod managers on Windows will manage it on Linux, too. There are only a few more extra steps. But yeah, there is new stuff to learn, which might be intimidating at first.
Regarding tabbing through the desktop(s), I've never seen any bad behaviors from any game. When I was using Windows back then, I often times was stuck between fullscreen and the desktop and couldn't do anything but reboot. If this would ever happen on Linux, you'd just kill the process from a TTY and continue (unless it kills the X server, but that's a very rare thing).

>Name one tool
BTRFS/ZFS snapshots
Even though DXVK still is a beta, you only lose a couple of frames from this compatibility layer, definitely not 20-50%. Just wait if this is a major concern. This stuff is new and will only get better.

what max mouse acceleration, stop using arch silly nugget

Attached: NLDugGD.jpg (645x729, 27K)

Right, but keep in mind that Google is planning to replace Linux with Fuchsia.

Hackintosh user here. I do use Devuan on all of my home servers and on some of my other machines. When I'm using it as a desktop OS I use either CDE or just MWM because I've been using it since the mid 2000s when it was still the default on Solaris, so I know how to configure it. I know where everything is, it's always consistent, and Motif is never drastically changed. KDE and Gnome and their respective toolkits (GTK and Qt) are ever evolving clusterfucks of spaghetti and shitballs. I hate them. I hate them so fucking much. GTK development is a shitshow with bad docs and Qt's claim to fame is "we aren't as bad as GTK". Linux needs a single unified toolkit that doesn't suck ass but you know that if you make one you're just gonna have three competeing GUI toolkits.

The only way I can see this working out well is if someone starts a huge project to port existing software to a very obviously superior toolkit. Motif is dated but still works great, though not many people like the look. But most people I know find the look of NeXTSTEP to be professional and tasteful. So something like the NEXTSPACE desktop (pic related) with the GNUStep toolkit would be an excellent place to start.

Attached: NEXTSPACE_Screenshot.png (1920x994, 169K)

Need grow more brain.

nice

I will be mildly surprised if Fuchsia proves commercially viable but I have been wrong before.

It's you who is memeing friend.
All these GUIs are unmaintained crap that crashes when you look at it wrong.
Fragmentation is bad, there's no way around it. If instead of having 5 different desktop environments everybody focused on making one that just works, we would be 2/3 of the way there.
>BTRFS/ZFS snapshots
Those aren't incremental.
>inb4 they are
Give me the exact command.
>inb4 RTFM
Yeah no I'd rather keep my current solution that just works.
Read this:
lesswrong.com/posts/reitXJgJXFzKpdKyd/beware-trivial-inconveniences
In fact everybody shilling Linux like it was the best thing since sliced bread should read it.

Attached: 1539025543917.jpg (2000x2000, 489K)

It's a current meme, because the Gnome devs are a bit stupid and only include mouse acceleration settings in a Gnome tweak utility. You can always deactivate mouse acceleration by creating a Xorg config (if you had googled it), or by simply not using Gnome if you want a DE that has a settings for this included in their main settings application.

Polish and less bullshit

Major, insane problems:
>Can't change mouse scroll wheel speed, in 2018
>Can't middle click to scroll, in 2018
>Can't just set settings for things, have to fuck around and create files,d rag them into the correct folder as sudo, THEN edit the settings (eg: changing monitor settings)

This kind of shit is ABSURD like straight up "what fucking year is it" level of absurd

All of my other problems mostly come from lack of linux support in general. But those ones are just, yikes.

Good points.
You can change the mouse scroll speed in KDE, but it doesn't do anything in the browsers.

>It's you who is memeing friend.
>posts a frog
ok
>unmaintained crap
you are meming, leave the thread
>Those aren't incremental
you have clearly no idea how a CoW filesystem works... again, memeing
>Give me the exact command
man btrfs-subvolume

>by creating a Xorg config
it was at this point i realised linux is dogshit

Plus disk images can be flashed to a drive in half an hour and just boot from it, I don't think filesystem dumps can do that. I'd have to at the very least create the partition scheme and restore the EFI partition.
Yeah, because the picture I choose to append to my post invalidates my answer. Linux logic.
>ask for exact command
>gives me a man page
That's why your shitty OS is shit.
I don't care what a CoW filesystem is. I don't want to read fucking man pages. I just want my backups to work.
Windows does that. Linux doesn't. There's your explanation.

Attached: 1547281429453.jpg (970x545, 208K)

Game devs actually making software for it.
Also, obligatory filepicker meme outside of KDE.

The reason is that you just don't know how it works on GNU/Linux and that there are much more powerful tools to do the job. You are afraid to learn, which is a behavior you can only see from low IQ people, so maybe Windows is the right choice for you.

Ah, the old learning argument.
Look, here's what you have to learn to make an incremental disk image with AOMEI:
-install AOMEI backupper
-plug in disk drive
-open AOMEI
-click "Incremental disk backup"
-click next
-done
And that's from memory without reading any documentation.
Now, here are the instructions for btrfs:
-read the btrfs-subvolume man page
-learn what a CoW filesystem is and how it works
-???
-done
See, not even you knows how the fuck it's done or you would've told me by now.
>You are afraid to learn, which is a behavior you can only see from low IQ people, so maybe Windows is the right choice for you.
Maybe.

Attached: 1538892264311.jpg (1000x668, 113K)

Former Windows user here. I've used Windows from 3.1 all the way through 7. Windows 10 is what made me permanently move to Linux.

When I found out Win10 would have an even worse botnet, constant phoning home, and a lack of control over my own system and updates, that's what tipped me over the edge. I was building a new desktop in 2015 and decided I would dual boot in Linux and Windows 7 (I previously used Linux on my laptops). I quickly adapted to using Linux full-time as my main OS and barely even use Windows 7 except for when I load up a virtual machine.

After it was released, my concerns were justified and I haven't looked back. I truly have more control over my system. I can update whenever I want and still choose what updates I want. I don't get ads from my own OS. I don't have to worry about my data being scanned and logged on a Microsoft server.

Attached: linux noobs vs linux veterans.jpg (640x1136, 104K)

>mouse scroll wheel speed
kek, I remember feeling like my scroll speed was a bit slow on ubuntu and looking around for how to fix it. There was some really hilarious shit out there. Like 3-pages shell scripts that people hacked up to try to make scrolling faster. It was like a parody.

Honestly compared to most of the shit in this thread your arguments are pretty weak. Using something called "AOMEI backupper" and saying it competes with Linux tools is pretty sad desu. Linux already has best-of-breed tools for backup and such, think about it, it's mostly used as a server OS. You would do better to complain about real problems like mouse scroll speed

Until I can facetime bitches on Linux, what's the point?

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-13 at 5.48.17 PM.png (1268x817, 288K)

Tell me how to do incremental disk images then. I'll wait.

>set up a CoW filesystem because you were smart and read stuff about it
>set up automatic volume snapshots of the past hour, 12 hours, day, 3 days, week, month, 6 months
>don't have to think about it ever again
>fuck up your system (or its data) beyond repair
>restore one of the available backups seamlessly
>???
>profit

wow, that REALLY was difficult
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dd#Disk_cloning_and_restore

That is the ugliest gun I have ever seen

i primarily run linux, but have an LTSC dualboot setup that i use every few months for something like photoshop.

Right. But I don't want to read documentation. I don't want to spend time setting up shit. I don't want to write bash scripts. I just want something that's point and click. Which doesn't exist for Linux.
And this is just an example, but it's analogous to 99% of possible arguments.
Sure, maybe I could rig something up on Linux for $random_task here. But I don't want to. I want something that I can set up with a few clicks and go about my day.

dd is not incremental.
Incremental means it only stores the changes between images.
dd also doesn't ignore free and unpartitioned space, and it doesn't do compression and mounting with a few clicks

You are finding excuses changing your arguments in every post. If you don't want to use it, fine, don't use it, no big deal. All I have told you that there are better and more powerful tools on Linux which also do the job better while not being some proprietary bullshit. With great power comes great responsibility :^)

well, you got your answer then. have a nice day

>lazy user's approach
rsync /home to external drive
Who cares about system files anyway, you can reinstall them easily. Pro: dead simple and trivial to restore from

>overkill approach
Learn how to use snapshots and other production-grade backup tools. Now you have industry standard tools that megacorps rely on protecting your data

>Windows approach
Find some proprietary chinkware that claims to do "incremental drive images" and hope it actually works right if it comes time to restore from it

true... still, finding this list was EXTREMELY difficult
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Synchronization_and_backup_programs

Main desktop is Win10 for muh games. I tried Manjaro here, but Monster Hunter World ran noticeably worse and I need all the frames I can get (2500k and RX480). I tried playing Humans Fall Flat with some mates and it crashed constantly, so I switched back to windows. It's almost there, but I need Proton to mature more

Laptop is Ubuntu, which I'm forcing myself to use. I'm away from home for 3 months for work, so I thought it would be a good time to become acquainted with Linux.
So far I've just set the theme how I like (adapta) and am settling in nicely. I'm only web browsing on this and practicing C++, so it's not working hard. I made the switch to Duck Duck Go too, which it working well. It does all the things I want, like displaying definitions with an audio clip of the pronunciation and converting units.
I do prefer the windows file browser though. Is there a way to make ubuntu display the full path (/path/to/foo/bar) in the top bar? It would make it easier to copy paste paths and I find it easier to read

I switched yesterday. Security reasons.

>Who cares about system files anyway, you can reinstall them easily. Pro: dead simple and trivial to restore from
I prefer images because sequential IO is way faster than waiting for the disk to seek to the beginning of each file, plus being able to flash and have everything set up already sounds good too.
>Learn how to use snapshots and other production-grade backup tools. Now you have industry standard tools that megacorps rely on protecting your data
megacorps can spare a few engineers to set up a custom solution that will serve thousands of servers, I am just one guy and have other stuff to do
>Find some proprietary chinkware that claims to do "incremental drive images" and hope it actually works right if it comes time to restore from it
the times I've tested them they work, can't see why they would suddenly stop working. I don't upgrade the program

That list isn't useful for me, it doesn't even distinguish software that can do image backups from file level backups

Games.
Wine is too fiddly and not all games are supported or might have some issues that require a lot of tweaking to work.
My current solution is to run windows in a VM and pass through the GPU to it. But this still counts as being a windows user and is a non-gratis solution.
Still beats dual-booting since I can switch between host and guest seamlessly especially with looking glass so you don't even have to switch monitor input, and if windows decides it wants to update you can move to your host OS without rendering the entire system unusable.

Pain in the ass to setup the first time but it has its perks. Performance penalty is negligible, CPU performance takes a small hit.

>Is there a way to make ubuntu display the full path
That's not "Ubuntu", it's Nautilus, the default file browser of Gnome (Ubuntu's default desktop environment). I don't know how customizable it is (I am using the Cinnamon DE, which is a fork of Gnome and has its own, better file browser called Nemo). You can install other standalone file browsers, though, or ones which come with other DEs.

This. I wouldn't mind learning to use a console more but if I knew I could run the majority of things I need a computer for in the first place, then I wouldn't care about the OS. Plus the chance to avoid Microsoft's bs would be great.

Hardware vendors would need to produce reliable drivers. I used to be a hardcore Linux fanboy and only use as much OSS software as I could, but after a nightmare where a GPU driver update and failed rollback put me out of commission for 3 days (essentially costing my business an important client on top of another 28k in regular revenue) I ended up moving to Windows for the reliability aspect.

This.
Microsoft is pushing people to linux just by being a shit heap, but only people who are already into tech.
Chad and Stacey don't give a flying fuck about their data and they only want facebook machines anyhow.

So, the real question is, why do you fucking want these people on linux anyway?

Nothing.
I'm perfectly happy with my Mac. It does everything I need it to, and it hasn't let me down.
I'll switch when Apple goes out of business, and I'll find as good of a clone to OS X as possible.

Just try it, ask for help if you need it and see what works for you and what not. Then you can have an opinion about it. Worst thing that'll happen is that you will learn some new stuff.

[X] doubt
nice shilling... already smells like curry here

good laptop with hardware made from the ground up with linux in mind. will not rely on third party support to run the preinstalled OS and in fact would not run as well if windows was installed after market.

I'm working on a Debian setup in a VM right now so I can learn it before I fully convert, but I'm looking forward to it because I took the Jow Forums redpill a bit and have been trying to learn as much as I can about FOSS and stuff.

i just want kvm to work
i cant get my gpu to passthrough
ive tried every fucking tutorial
and yes, vt-d is supported on my cpu and it is enabled and i do have both the igpu and dgpu enabled
i've asked numerous forums and gotten fuckall nothing
if i could run a good windows vm that could play vidya, i'd switch to linux for good

the linux fanboyism is an interesting social phenomenon. it's almost like it was a cult. just deny anything bad that happens inside the cult and try to pressure everybody into joining

good boy

>what is the one thing preventing you from going to linux
an easy to use gui tool for backups
>clearly you just need to RTFM
i dont want to RTFM, i want something that just werks and has a nice GUI like [tool]
>RTFM, also that tool is shit and you should use this tool but RTFM because it's extremely intimidating and has no GUI
this is why noone likes you people

when my uni wifi works with linux

you will just have to use the gnome tweak tool

What happens if you're not using X11? Are you just unable to disable it?

It was the opposite with me. I was using Linux fulltime for a few years, but switched back to Windows recently.

WSL allows me to do Linux development. Windows 10 has copied the KDE features I like, while KDE has failed to copy the Windows features I like. I still use Krita for some stuff but Photoshop is so much nicer than GIMP. Notepad++ is nicer than Kate.

The overall experience is much more relaxing. I still have Linux on all my servers.

>being a shill who has been hired by a company that's getting more and more nervous just to shitpost on 4chin all day long with badly made up stories which smell like curry

xset m 0 0
fuck youre retarded

what specs do you have/what games are you running this way? thinking of that workaround with my current system but might not have good enough hardware to run it

maybe the dumbest comment on Jow Forums right now

Hey man OP wanted feedback from Windows users, and I am a Windows user. I'm not loyal to any particular platform, but Windows works best for me. I don't care about games since I only play Dwarf Fortress and that runs on Linux. There's a few other niceties I like about Windows (I can upload an image by pasting its URL into the file picker, for instance) but they weren't enough to keep me on it before. I've also had bad luck with volume controls on Linux on laptops.

I was about to switch until I found out Linux was taken over by Satanists
Now you have to pledge allegiance to Satan under the Contributor Covenant thing

If Linux had the full Adobe suite, I'd consider it.

Stop trying to bring gaymers into Linux. Let them live happily on Windows instead of ruining and complaining about Linux.

i game on linux
in fact, games are the only reason i dont switch to bsd

>specs
CPU: i7-4790
GPU: 1080Ti
Mobo: Asus H97-ME

>games
Havent run into any problems with what i play, my monitor is 144hz refresh but i could only play DOOM and older titles locked at 1440/144hz.

COH1: BKMod, Whitcher 3, maplestory 2, Distant worlds universe, VTOLVR, H3VR, post Scriptium, etc...
Everything just werks.

There might be a slight difference in framerates but i don't notice it.
Most unity titles like sudden strike 4, or that commandos inspired japanese game I am able to average between 100~120 fps

Even HTC vive works fine granted you pass through an entire USB controller for it due to qemu usb device limit.

>Guide
evonide.com/non-root-gpu-passthrough-setup/

youtube.com/watch?v=s_8KR-n2fBQ

Attached: 1401400813272.png (498x462, 619K)

Adobe products, better programs even if they are paid, better driver support and better software stability. I've had Linux Freeze and i wasn't able to boot after. i cant have that happening.

Attached: 1429562185-egwbuoupci2hkwfmrlu3-xl.jpg (607x512, 52K)

By the way my GPU is way overkill just letting you know.
besides VT-d and VT-x support (or AMD equivalent) Just make sure your CPU is up to scratch in terms of performance, the more cores the merrier since you can pin CPU cores to prevent context switching on host OS. I just assign all my cores without pinning and haven't noticed any issues relating to my VM related threads/processes getting assigned to different cores.

Also you need more RAM since you assign a portion of your RAM to guest OS. My host OS is comfortable with 4GB while I give my guest OS 16GB.
Thankfully RAM is cheap I have around 24GB which is more than I need.

You can use a single GPU but it would be a hassle to setup, you will need a second gpu for host OS if you want to use it simultaneously with guest OS and switch between the two.
For that my CPU's integrated GPU works fine, or if you have 2 PCIEx16 slots you can give your host OS a dedicated GPU.

My next rig will use my older GPU since I cannot display at 144Hz refresh with my iGPU. So I currently switch monitor input to my VM for 144Hz.
I can also rebind my dedicated GPU back to host OS after I am done using the VM, but my script logs me out and in again.
There is some issue relating to systemD that doesn't allow me to unbind and rebind a GPU in a running session so you have to log out if you want to change GPU to your current Xorg session.

Setup time would vary depending on how complex you want to make your setup.
My setup is a little autistic, it would be easier to dabble with a GUI tool like virsh to get an idea or just stick with it if you are happy enough and want to keep things simple.
I got started with virsh, then if you need specific features which are not available in virsh you can start dabbling with qemu and write your own bash scripts since you get a lot more fine grain control that way.

Good luck man.

adobe is crap
linux does have better programs
linux has immensely better driver support
linux has immensely better software atability
windows freezes way the fuck more than linux

I have a threadripper 1950x so I think I'm good for that. have 16gb ram so might look into upgrading soonish. next new upgrade is likely gonna be my rx480 to vega 64

You make a convincing argument!

>adobe is crap
Well i need Lightroom and Photoshop. Gimp and Darktable isn't ready yet.
>linux does have better programs
Nope not for any Media work such as Video, photography, music etc...
>linux has immensely better driver support
No Blame Nvidia for that. at least ATI is doing its job at times
>linux has immensely better software atability
No Just installing Deb files can result in the software manager freezing. and it's a pain when you have to install programs to compile a program to install it.
>windows freezes way the fuck more than linux
I have no issues with it freezing as long as i can boot back into the OS in less than 5 minutes, instead of trying to salvage the OS with a boot disk.

I've been in use with Linux since 2010, and the issues have been improved but still exist.

I currently dualboot Windows and Linux, I would delete my Windows partition when there is a native port or suitable replacement for SIbelius (my hobby) and Autocad/Solidworks (im not a professional, but I'm learning/trying to get a job doing cad.)