I'm gonna do it guys. I'm gonna dualboot Windows 7 and Linux Mint w/ Cinnaman starting in 15 minutes

I'm gonna do it guys. I'm gonna dualboot Windows 7 and Linux Mint w/ Cinnaman starting in 15 minutes.
I can't stand Windows anymore, but I already have this pc setup with 144hz monitor and a powerful 1050Ti graphics cared. I just can't let my hardware go to waste. And I love gaming on full compatibility.

Is it better to install the OS on different harddrives?

Attached: 1538425118161.jpg (1600x1132, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bB-gmnvYDao
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Mint
install gentoo

install kubuntu

so I have 3 hard drives inside the pc.
one already has Windows7 installed with updates, programs, etc.
the second one is NTFS storage for games, music, anime, manga, books, etc.
the third one is currently NTFS storage as well, but will be formatted to install Linux.
Is this a better approach than dual-booting? It seems safer, and I'd unplug the harddrive with W7 when using Linux, and vice versa.
Also, is Debian Okay? internet says it is the most stable with largest packages available in 2018

Attached: 1539429039043.jpg (700x671, 32K)

user, as someone who always likes games and built a PC directly for that, don't fall for the Jow Forums trap. I installed arch and a few other distros on my PC when i fell into the botnet meme. I loved it honestly but the lack of software that was easily available without having to look up ports and solutions to problems was just annoying after a few weeks.

You're just going to end up using windows and forgetting about the dual boot.

Attached: 2.png (64x64, 9K)

>debian stable branch
is true, you can install steam through a flatpak and it will run with your GTX1050ti I think, just install the drivers like the debian wiki. You can also run buster, the next stable which is still on testinf stage but is already quite stable since the actual stable branch is now like a year old. Never run unstable unless you like memeing. Also, instead of Linux Mint you should use Ubuntu. Idk if there is a reason to use Mint now. Always stick ti the LTS branch. Debian is still better for me, I couldn't get bumblebee to work on Ubuntu but on debian it just werked (bumblebee is something that you only use on a laptop with two gpus, in your case Ubuntu should be okay but I recommend Debian).
Oh and this is not obvious for you but it is for me. Download the non free firmware iso of debian testing or stable, it already has all the drivers for wifi and other shit that nay not work on vanilla debian, and install ffmpeg

Go with Ubuntu. It's more stable than Mint and offers better support for gayming.
Don't rest on your dualboot - only use it when something doens't work on Ubuntu and you cba to fix it there and then. I see many people though who 'dualboot' and then only ever go on their Linux install to rice and take screenshots for Jow Forums threads. If you find yourself doing something simple like browsing while still on Windows you're doing it wrong and should consider forcing yourself off of windows by deleting the install.

If you're keeping things on seperate hard drives there should be no problems. Just switch to the nonfree drivers and enable hardware acceleration in firefox (if thats what you use) and everything should look fine with no tearing.

alright if your going to go for it install Debian on a HDD away from your windows install. Much safer this way and if anything goes wrong you don't fuck anything. use this so you know how to set it up. It's basic af but most people are retarded youtube.com/watch?v=bB-gmnvYDao

this is bullshit.

agreed. Except dual boot is trash. if you absolutely must run two OSes, just install them on separate drives and select in BIOS startup using F2 or whatever. Even then... think about disconnecting your inactive drive before you run OS updates. Too much potential to fuck a boot loader.

I wanted to dualboot and use linux mint as my main desktop environment when I wasn't using heavy graphics or windows only programs.
then I found that as a general statement windows has better battery life, despite running significantly more computing intensively than linux mint.
even when energyriced

is this true I am linux because I was tired of windows and wanted to save computer from working so hard

Attached: 1537038160703.jpg (249x202, 8K)

Likely true. Many hardware OEMs don't really think about linux on their desktop/laptop devices, and power management often consists of proprietary and undocumented functionality.

I'm sorry. It's not that loonix is poorly coded, Jow Forums is right that modern windows is pajeet-tier by comparison, it's simply the case that windows is the market majority, so all computer hardware is built for windows.

Since user still has Win7, this isn't bad advice desu. He might as well enjoy the last year or so of support for 7. Things like Proton should get better in the mean time too, and require less bleeding-edge drivers.
Once forced onto Windows 10 the tradeoff changes because that OS fucking sucks

Ignore MS shills. Do the dualboot, use your Linux to main tasks and wangblows for gaming. You'll be soon tempted to delete your wangblows partition.

>using Windows 7 in 2018

Fucking moron.

Unless he migrates his gaming to Linux it won't be the Windows partition he'll be tempted to delete.

>I'm gonna dualboot Windows 7
>can't stand Windows anymore
What a surprise considering you use the shittiest version that still gets some updates.

Do t bother, gaming is still sbit on linux even with Proton via steam

T. Someone who did what you're doing a week ago and ready went back to windows