Anyone else using something different from qwerty?

Anyone else using something different from qwerty?
I'm trying colemak

Attached: Colemak_layout_2.png (692x184, 18K)

I don’t use it, but I’m often around court reporters who use a funny little keyboard to type incredibly fast.

Autismo HFTanon here.
I have used a custom dvorak derivative for about 10 years on columnar keyboards like kinesis or ergodox while sticking with qwerty on staggered row keyboards like my laptop. I would estimate that around 5% of my colleagues use a split and/or columnar/ortho board of some sort (kinesis most popular), and maybe 1% use non-qwerty.

HW-programmable keyboards make using alternate/custom layouts in a work environment much easier, since convincing IT/security folks to install custom compiled keymap software is basically impossible.

using workman has been comfy so far

I'm slowly learning colemak, but I don't type enough to feel the need to switch from qwerty

I'm using a localized keymap and for those everything is dogshit/a meme other than qwerty-

I use Dvorak. I type faster in it than I ever did in QWERTY but I don't transcribe text very often so I'm not really typing speed limited, 95wpm vs 60wpm doesn't change my life much.

It's a bit more comfortable I think, but watching people struggle to type on my laptop is the real benefit.

>I'm trying colemak
once you go colemak you don't go back

Colemak is AIDS, try dvorak if you want an alternatív to qwerty

I'm using asdfgh.
No wait.
It's qwerty.
Sorry.

How much pain is switching? Can I learn colemack at home, but still use qwerty at work?

I'm using Bépo. Problem is when you're used to it, it's hard to use a norm ie keyboard afterwards.

Just switch your keyboard at work.

I never took standard keyboard lessons and type with only middle fingers 90% of the time occasionally using my pointer fingers. I never learned the whole asdf jkl; thing. I've always tested in 65-70WPM with 95% accuracy.

Maybe I should try other formats?

Could do, but I still need to actually get work done.

Dvorak
Just a pain working on any machine that is not your own. Hardly worth changing the layout for a few minutes of work do it's hunt and peck on a qwerty layout.

>convincing IT/security folks to install custom compiled keymap software is basically impossible
>his OS doesn't allow non-root user to configure layouts
But yeah, you're stuck to whatever you must use in work. xkb is actually great, although poorly documented.

After a while of using Colemak I can type on QWERTY acceptably when looking at the keyboard. Somehow I need to be continuously reminded that it's a different layout

I can still hunt and peck on QWERTY at like 25-30wpm. I don't use other people's keyboards often though!

>Somehow I need to be continuously reminded that it's a different layout
This is why I think it's better to learn Dvorak. Clearer differentiation!

>tfw one-handed mirroring Colemak
I think I should put my xkb config up somewhere.

Work keyboard isn't mech, so I can't change keycaps. I would either need to bumble along blind, ask my employer to buy me a new one, or bring my own. Option 1 doesn't seem productive. I don't want to get my employer to buy me one just to test it out, then decide I don't like it, and I don't currently have a spare at home.

I can live with 30wpm, I'm not doing data entry...

I don't think the layout matters, I think the same would happen with Dvorak but then I could unexpectedly C-q or C-w.

Also stop shilling Dvorak, it's objectively inferior layout that simply didn't benefit from statistics we can gather and process in modern times. It's a loose approximation. Colemak is a calculated approximation with few restrains to maintain compatibility to reduce major fuckups an ease learning. Then there is that weird optimized layout with no restrictions.

Well, actually I take the "objectively inferior" part back, everybody types differently. But please stop shilling it so blatantly.

Getting to 30wpm without looking at keys should take you a couple weeks or a dozen days if you try hard enough. Stay with QWERTY at work until you reach that point. You mustn't look at keys while learning.

Sorry I meant to quote

Same. I wish it was more popular

>Colemak is a calculated approximation with few restrains to maintain compatibility to reduce major fuckups an ease learning.

That's an unnecessary handicap that limits us to QWERTY for no reason. I'd be happy to advocate a new stats-based layout but there's no reason to tie it to QWERTY.

Colemak here for the last 5 years. Its fucking great

Well, some of the different options have almost the same penalty, and is nice to keep the muscle memory of copy paste

I have no problem switching back and forth.

Attached: Capture.png (875x323, 26K)

But that's just a few keys that aren't that common anyway.
>q w z x c v

Attached: 1805.Colemak.jpg (529x600, 83K)

When I learned to type my left arm was broken. So when I type in qwerty my right hand does a vast majority of the typing. It's muscle memory that is hard to retrain. So I learned dvorak over about two weeks with the proper hand positioning. Definitely a worthwhile endeavor.

I would recommend colemak over dvorak because it share a lot of keyboard shortcuts with qwerty however. I'm just too lazy to learn a third layout.

Attached: typing.png (610x352, 19K)

Years ago I had an idea for a dynamic keyboard layout for PCs. Using digrams found in text taken from bunch of news sites, I created 27 layouts, one based on having previously typed any of the twenty six letters, and one based on the most commonly used first letters of words. The most common letters based on the previous letter would always be in the home keys.

I never actually made it work and forgot about it til now, would you guys be willing to give it a shot if I did?

If you are proficient with QWERTY (80+ WPM), just stick with it. Alternate layouts are a meme.

I'm the swedish keyboard autist from yesterday, if anyone remembers. I use my own layout that is based on key frequencies, and letter pairs, from my own writing. I write a lot of technical documentation in both swedish, and some in english. Basically the home row are for the most used letters, bottom row for least used letters. Frequently occurring pairs live separately on each side of the keyboard. The most used keys on each row are biased towards the center. It's easier to move my index finger to the bottom row, than it is to move my pinky there.

Attached: Screenshot_20181013-182003.png (512x179, 17K)

Dvorak-user here and I agree. I was borderline (50wpm qwerty, 90 dvorak) but don't actually spend that much time typing and it doesn't help much with programming.

I was just reading more about it. The recommendation seems to be not to change the keys, but just keep a reference available. Interesting

Attached: MemeTastic_2018-10-14T10-31.jpg (600x600, 96K)

Yeah I'm using qwertz, which is superior to qwerty in every way

Qwerty and dvorak are dogshit for latin languages. You statement in valid for english, but anything else is easier in colemak

What is the name of this android keyboard app some user used?

This is an English speaking website, of course everything is different in other languages!

Sounds interesting but impractical due to how many combinations one would have to remember.

Colemak user here and I disagree. I don't type much faster but it's much comfier.

Its not so difficult to be superior to qwerty. Im pretty sure you could randomly create a layout and it will still be better than qwerty

Yeah the learning curve would be stupidly high, I was inspired in part when I saw some keyboard with an LED screen on each key and was convinced that they would go mainstream. I'm unemployed now so I might give it a shot and see if it's possible to grok in a couple months.

I use BEAKL but I'm about to change a couple keys around because I don't like outward rolls and prefer rolls toward the center column.

Nice autism user. I mean, actually nice.

Attached: clapping anime girls.gif (500x341, 557K)

>blocks your path

Attached: gherk.jpg (1600x1197, 379K)

who wants to have to constantly look at the keyboard to know what key you're going to press? Your hands get in the way of seeing things.

>b on the right hand
degenerate

That's shorthand

Well it would only be for the learning phase. Eventually you'd be a touch typist for all twenty-seven layouts.

Me want this keyboard

Can someone explain why the Planck and gherkin are attractive

How is it comfortable to pronate your wrists to keep them straight on those keyboards. Are your shoulders ridiculously close together or something?

Where is the space key?

It's ergonomically sound and the spacing between letters is smaller which reduces travel time between keys.

Left and right arrow is a split spacebar

you type space then enter

:^)

Attached: Screenshot_20181014-210612.png (1080x1920, 232K)

I use dvorak.

Slight familiarity with Cyrillic script and pronunciation. What are these two?

Attached: 1539540467408~01~01.jpg (1440x2338, 148K)

Dvorak is designed with typewriters in mind. Use workman if you want an alternative to qwerty.

is it possible to use this for a general purpose keyboard? Some kind of on the fly translation? I'm not really sure how shorthand works.

>is it possible to use this for a general purpose keyboard?
If you know what you're going to type in advance and have a dictionary prepared for it, yes.
Stenography machines work by pressing multiple keys at the same time (a chord) that software maps to a particular word or short phrase using a dictionary. For easier human use, there's a more or less standard dictionary that loosely associates keys with syllables, and maps words to chords of keys that represent the syllables in the word as closely as possible.

ukrainian yi and ghe

Is the maltron layout the only one that assumes a split columnar stagger as the physical layout? All the other key layouts I know of assume you're using a standard row stagger board.

Attached: maltron-flat-layout-1.gif (600x302, 15K)