CRTs phased out ages ago

>CRTs phased out ages ago
>closest thing to SDTV is shitty 720p TVs
>DVD is still a thing

Who the fuck still buys DVDs?

Attached: 1517769924845.jpg (1192x671, 74K)

>hurr the source resolution must always match the display resolution

Fuck off, zoomer. DVDs look crisp enough for me on a 4K Samsung panel.

NPC's have zero awareness regarding quality. Most people watch blocky pirated streams and not even notice the difference. It blows my mind.

Attached: 1536877564316.png (430x441, 86K)

t. blind boomer

You can’t possibly be this retarded. SD quality content would look like complete ass on Full HD TV, let alone UHD.

It's good enough for anime

It's only good enough if you're a complete pleb.

>anime
>complete pleb
yes

You're the type of nigger who makes desktop screenshots in overcompressed JPEG.

I only buy DVDs of things not released on Blu-Ray, which is still a lot of TV shows.

DVDs are cheaper and a lot of parents buy that crap for their kids and put it on some tiny 15" TV/DVD combo in their rooms.

>Who the fuck still buys DVDs?
Very often it's the highest quality you can get. Also any TV that's actually worth buying (Sony) upscales 480p beautifully. Even on the 4k sets.

bootleg DVDs are still a thing in third world

>Also any TV that's actually worth buying (Sony) upscales 480p beautifully. Even on the 4k sets.
I never got this meme. How could upscaling to 4K ever look worse than upscaling to 1080p?

bluray is fucking gay

>I never got this meme.
That's part of the problem. You go by what social media tells you instead of seeing how the Sony scaling engine works.

480p is still 480p in the end, even if you use fancy upscalers like madVR. It's still going to be blurry and low-detail since there just isn't that much video information to work with at such low res.

When it's your only choice between dvd or vhs then that's what you deal with.

The general sentiment among people seems to be that upscaling to a higher resolution automatically makes the image look worse for some mathematical reason, even though this obviously can't be true. I'm not talking about a particular upscaling engine here.

there is literally no reason to buy a bluray over DVD

>The general sentiment among people seems to be that upscaling to a higher resolution automatically makes the image look worse for some mathematical reason
Because they're almost always dealing with the Korean brands which have historically and still do have shit scaling engines. Not that Sony upscales an image magically without defects. But with 480p you have to know what to look for or use a pattern and get close to the screen. Sony has some "detail filters" that are terrible though and not intuitive. Enabling them tends to destroy the quality.

Just to mention with 480i the Korean brands are an absolute shitshow with that. Complete garbage. But I think we are only talking about 480p DVDs.

>even though this obviously can't be true
Are you literally a brainlet? The larger there is disparity between the source content resolution and upscale target the more information is missing that needs to be compensated by the upscaling algorithms.

Most DVDs are optimized for high definition screens. Don't be dumb.

kys dvdoomer

Troll

Wrong

Pretty much everything is available on DVD, they are cheap and have less DRM bullshit attached to them than Blu-rays. I don't like DVDs, but I dislike them less than Blu-rays.

>What's is NGU-ANTIALIAS ????
gtfo of Jow Forums immediately

>freetards settling for less quality because of the DRM boogeyman
Can’t make this shit up. DVD is region-locked nigger cancer that should fuck off and die already.

>snake oil
>wangblows only

That's not how it works

Mediatek-based DVD-rom chipsets can change region infinitive number of times.

It's something retards such as yourself shouldn't play with, since you're too stupid to understand applicable use cases and benefits anyway.

>chinks cheating and going off the spec
Color me surprised

Just because you don't have REQUIRMENTS doesn't mean you can shitpost about it
I'm having gtx 1080 WITH ngu-antialias very high settings
Resolution 1920x1080
I upscale any shit
And it looks so crisp and smooth affff

>The larger there is disparity between the source content resolution and upscale target the more information is missing that needs to be compensated by the upscaling algorithms.
What you're basically saying there is that 480p upscaled to 4K looks worse compared to true 4K than 480p upscaled to 1080p looks compared to true 1080p, which is true, but it's also not what we're talking about. Upscaled 4K will look as good as or better than upscaled 1080p simply because you start with the same amount of information and have a higher res target display with smaller pixels that are less visible.
Also, if upscaling to 4K really did look worse for some strange reason, then the problem could be trivially solved by upscaling to 1080p in the first step, then quadrupling each pixel in the second, yiedling a result identical to 480p to 1080p upscaling.

>the problem could be trivially solved by upscaling to 1080p in the first step, then quadrupling each pixel in the second, yiedling a result identical to 480p to 1080p upscaling
Nonsense

Attached: BD3764BC-D130-4540-8F62-23E4C1510D3C.jpg (920x613, 197K)

Those side by side pictures and not using vertical resolution anymore are some the smartest moves the TV industry have made in the past 30 years.

it is though
it doesn't scale and looks like shit

>even though this obviously can't be true.
damn you're really dumb

but my screen is 1920x1200 and the middle image looks superclear to me even though I do not have 4k?
I do not get it

Attached: 29881996_p0.png (585x725, 681K)

NGU is pretty good but there's no way you're getting blu-ray quality out of a DVD upscale. Also, MadVR is a buggy piece of shit that vomits out thousands of frames per second causing my GPU to coil whine like crazy because the programmers were too lazy to actually use V-sync properly.

This is a 480i composite signal from a laserdisc being scaled and displayed on a 47" 1080p set.
I don't think it looks bad.

Attached: IMG_20180924_133228.jpg (2560x1920, 2.07M)

looks like shit
thick, ugly, blurry lines

>taking a photo of your TV
>as an image quality reference
Peak Jow Forums.

How does your pic have anything to do with what you're saying in your post?

Attached: scientific proof 16K looks like shit.png (920x613, 806K)

480p upscaled to 1080p or 2160p would look better than an upscale to 720p.

That's a fault of the source material. The bluray presents these issues as well.
And how else am I supposed to show the end result after all the processing done on the TV? Should I tap the signal off the LVDS cable going to the panel, convert that into a signal a capture card can accept, and then capture a raw frame and upload it uncompressed just to prove a point in a weeb imageboard?

That simply isn't true. Modern TVs have extremely impressive upscaling capabilities, using built-in databases to aid in the process. Sony's TVs are the best on the market when it comes to upscaling non-native content. Of course, there's only so much it can possibly do, and it's going to look bad if you press your nose up against the screen, but from a regular viewing distance it looks absolutely fine. I still watch DVDs on my 55" 4K OLED every now and then and it's perfectly acceptable. And I have a UHD Blu-ray player too, so I'm in a position to compare.

>Should I tap the signal off the LVDS cable going to the panel, convert that into a signal a capture card can accept, and then capture a raw frame and upload it uncompressed just to prove a point in a weeb imageboard?
Yes. Or just use an upscaler that isn't locked into some brand-name TV that nobody else can see.

>Or just use an upscaler that isn't locked into some brand-name TV that nobody else can see.
But the point of my post was showing how you don't need a multi-thousand dollar chain of faroudjas and framemeisters to get good upscaling, the upscaler inside the TV will do a fine job most of the time.

>Modern TVs have extremely impressive upscaling capabilities
Can't add detail, 480p looks like a smeared out mess.

>I still watch DVDs on my 55" 4K OLED
You're watching from too far away.

>The general sentiment among people seems to be that upscaling to a higher resolution automatically makes the image look worse for some mathematical reason, even though this obviously can't be true
Is this bait?

there's no reason to buy either
i've never even owned a bluray player, not underage either, went from getting things on vhs and dvd, then once i got a dvd drive, i started renting/copying them, got excited about bluray in 2005, but got broadband in 2006... and hdd's got big and cheap... so yea, i just started downloading everything and didn't even get a drive for burning data

I only buy DVDs and pirate everything 720p and up

The only reason I own a blu-ray player is I have a PS3 and PS4. I did end up buying a couple of (dirt cheap) blu-rays because of that, though. Go Sony.

i never got into the 360/ps3 gen of consoles, i could afford half decent pc hardware at that point

fucking retard

based DVDs can cracked, faggot

>Who the fuck still buys DVDs?
India still uses cassette

Thanks for information, sir

Who are you even condescending to?

Do explain your viewpoint

Actually you're right about hogging resources like Maniac
But what would you do about that ?

Name ???

LG 47LD450

who the fuck cares m8, back in the 90's we had shit tv's with vcr's but in your memory you just remember the shit you watched and not muh pixel count. grow up you little gaywad

>how DARE you buy physical copies instead of paying for digital distribution or netflix!
I'm buying the BDs for like 5 or 6 shows this season.
A blu-ray is going to last a hell of a lot longer than any digital option. They are eventually going to shut down the servers that shit is hosted on and unexpected HDD failure will cause attrition. Then you fags will be begging guys like me to rip and upload new copies of whatever entry level shit you feel like watching. We'll just look down and say 'no'.

Attached: 1527844593489.jpg (1109x739, 177K)

based

I mean anime name

That'd be Urusei Yatsura

Attached: IMG_20180924_130816.jpg (2560x1920, 2.31M)

Shitty 720p TV are superior to flickering CRT garbage

Attached: file.png (585x336, 221K)

1. Pester developers until they fix it
2. Use NVidia control panel to force V-sync on for whatever media player you use

Cool. Do you have the 50 disc Urusei Yatsura laserdisc box? LD collector here, that box has long been on my list but the fucking weight makes shipping from Japan brutal (the set itself goes for like $100 or shit).

Back in the 90s, that set would cost about $3500. That's what it was like being a 20th century otaku.

Those Japanese LD sets have the greatest packaging physical media will ever get with those 12inch covers.

Attached: uyld50.jpg (640x318, 29K)

illiterate brazilians still buy dvds, they also buy usb sticks with pre-downloaded songs

This is my top model LD player, the Pioneer CLD-98. I also have 4 more players like a LD-660 top loader from the 80s with a gas tube laser and a V8000 industrial model with the only CLV full frame store ever put in a LD deck.

Attached: pioneer_cld-98_1.jpg (1000x750, 97K)

Some weebshit is still only available on LDs and VHS. Pretty crazy.

>UY
>Laserdisc
My nigger. I'd post my shit if I was at home.

Yeah, have a few of those myself. I think my LD of "Nayuta" is the highest quality release for the ancient OVA.

My copy of Jin Roh on laserdisc is pretty neat as well. It was among the last few LDs ever made, with a release data of 2001.

Attached: jinroh.jpg (1600x1200, 218K)

>Some weebshit is still only available on LDs and VHS.
The garbage is. Most everything worthwhile has a bluray let alone a dvd release. If you're talking about dubs then a lot of that is fucked forever. Especially the studio ghibli films.

I use DVDs for backups. However burning media, things can look a lot better than they used to years ago with better codecs

>that box has long been on my list but the fucking weight makes shipping from Japan brutal
Same here. I only have the two first discs
And I'll probably get the films sooner or later.
Damn son, mine's a piece of crap CLD-1850, lowest end multisystem Pioneer ever put out afaik. I live in PAL land, so importing players is prohibitively expensive, plus I need to play local finds somehow.
It doesn't actually do too bad a job, as you can see in the pic, but it's barebones to the point of not showing still frames on CAV discs when paused (it does them if specifically commanded to, though) and not playing analog sound on PAL discs.
Indeed.
Damn, I did not know there were more LD weebs in here. Very nice.

Attached: IMG_20181014_234755.jpg (2560x1920, 1.79M)

>If you're talking about dubs then a lot of that is fucked forever. Especially the studio ghibli films.
I also have the Ghibli Ga Ippai LD box, that includes a few rare dub tracks. The multi audio channel capability of LD was handy for stuff like that, just put extra stuff like commentary or dub on the analog tracks.

Attached: ghibli box.jpg (800x600, 180K)

psyop shill

By the way, I forgot to ask- If your UY discs are from the same release as mine, do they only have analog audio despite stating otherwise in the sleeves? Because my player doesn't detect any digital tracks on mine, and I get sod all on the optical output. All my other NTSC discs play with digital audio, and the UY discs don't appear to have any rot at all, as the picture and the analog audio are perfect.

You should join the lddb forum. They know everything about laserdisc and may have some ideas. I've never heard that one myself, but the lddb database shows the audio encoding for each release for a given title.

>All the people here talking about laserdisc
I really wish I had a player, heard my dad had one which makes sense cause he had a tendency to blow money on AV equipment mid-late 90s... Hopefully my memory is wrong and it's not the CLD-M90, I just remembered it at the time as a weird cd player, but everything seems to line up.

Other than that it seems all the normie friendly movies are cheap so it's easy to start collecting.