Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Consumer
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>he doesn't have a dick-girl

>he isn't his own dick-girl

Pretty sure you actually have 16 GiB.
16 GB would be very unusual.

cuck

Attached: 1539560768517.gif (360x240, 2.11M)

I don't see why your average person browsing Jow Forums and making a few programs would need >16GB, unless you're one of those lazy people that never likes closing their programs after using them.

Virtual machines

I have 4

Attached: 1484450901641.jpg (636x571, 86K)

Why would you need to have more than 1 VM open? If Windows is your host, then a linux VM shouldn't be using more than 4GB. After all, you're not gaming on it or doing anything that'd require a ton of memory usage.

I'm pretty sure Windows uses 8GiB without any other programs open.

>Why would you need to have more than 1 VM open?
You need at least three for the average home network.

Not sure who told you that.

Nope.

Attached: screenshot.11.jpg (593x630, 261K)

Also this is considering I'm using 1GB as a ram disk, so it's actually at 3GB naturally.

Ew you actually use that shit?

>Why would you need to have more than 1 VM open?
One development VM per customer. Some running PostgreSQL with lots of data and CI tools.

>If Windows is your host
It isn't.

>then a linux VM shouldn't be using more than 4GB.
How so?

>After all, you're not gaming on it or doing anything that'd require a ton of memory usage.
How would you know?

>One development VM per customer
We're talking about consumers.

>It isn't.
It was a hypothetical. I didn't say you specifically had it.

>How would you know?
Generally speaking, memory hogs are usually media tier programs such as 3D rendering, Adobe and Games, none of which should be used on Linux distros.

If you're working in an enterprise environment then you shouldn't even be posting in this thread because your use case is entirely different from what anyone on Jow Forums typically uses.

Or as I've recently taken to call it, dick+girl

>consumers
Software is generally not consumed. It's inappropriate to use that word in the context of computing.
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Consumer

Ok, "Individuals that are not using software for large scale professional deployment purposes" or "non-business users".

Anyone that needs more than 16GB should have a workstation tier setup.

I use both. My local file server runs Freenas which runs an ubuntu jail that I ssh into from Windows.

>Freenas
>ubuntu
Christ.

>green text
>one word negative implication
Oh boy.

How am I supposed to run my electron apps?

Stop calling quotations "green text", you /b/tard.

Oh yeah I love sucking up ram that's slow as fuck over 32gb and costs $1000+ to get decent speed
Fuck off ram cartel

same here

It's literally green text though. Would you prefer I call them meme arrows?

And 1) I use Freenas because it has a good implementation of ZFS with a nice user-friendly web panel. 2) The ubuntu jail is purely for having access to the bash shell,mainly for cron jobs/scripts, as it is bad practice to run any software directly on Freenas. It's headless, isolated and barely uses any resources.

>Would you prefer I call them meme arrows?
Quotations is the appropriate terminology.

another user here

but theres no quotation marks... its fucking green text. get over yourself

>so old that you call the BBS quotes by their proper name
yikes.

Attached: 1512468211376.png (380x349, 77K)

>yikes
why has this word been used so much lately

I don't know it's just one of those memes
kind of like how literally was

It is used for quotations. This (>) is the quotation mark. It has been designated as such for decades.

>He doesn't know.

Attached: screenshot.png (499x131, 15K)

Even in the category of using your computer for work, this is a very niche use case.
I have run Windows 10 on a 4GB(IIRC) computer. It did not freeze up from lack of memory. I did have problems with it, though I think after some configuring I managed to fix it to where disk/memory/CPU weren't 99% in Task Manager.
As for Windows 7, 2.5 gigs is currently being used with Chrome and 20+ tabs up.