What is XML used for? Give a use case, or a bunch of use cases

What is XML used for? Give a use case, or a bunch of use cases.

And don't come up with, that it is designed to store and transport data.

Whats the fucking matter

Attached: 6vnPYVQ.gif (1000x500, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S1000D
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DocBook
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Information_Typing_Architecture
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It’s like the JSON of microsoft

Using XML for config files is pretty comfy. Easy to reference to when coding and grabbing stuff for variables.

Semantic Web, but there are better alternatives that are more terse.

Wait until I tell you about JSON, user. It's going to change your life.

On my job we use it to send payment requests to bank. Also, I use it to generate invoices.

Also, for OpenCV I use it to store data. It is similar to json.

The Digital Cinema Initiative specification uses xml to store shows (SPL), clips (CPL) and KDMs (decryption keys for encrypted clips).

I use it at my job for semantic markup of technical documentation and related information, specifically to S1000D: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S1000D

This is similar to other, more well known documentation specs like DocBook or DITA:
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DocBook
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Information_Typing_Architecture

Now, it's not like XML is the only kind of data format you could use for this, but I think JSON or S-exprs are not well suited for document markup, and although you have lightweight markup like AsciiDoc in place of DocBook, the amount of metadata in DITA topics or S1000D data modules I think would make a similar lightweight alternative barely any less verbose than XML. Plus, you have a large existing toolset for XML, like XPath, XSLT, XSL-FO, etc.

Libraries

they make stucture deffination langoage, but dont make binary format

XML is harmful don't touch it.

For businesses who need their data structure and validated. JSON is good too but it does not have any standardized schema technique. Also xml is pretty mature with tons of tools and solutions for even transporting binary data.

What is Java used for? Give a use case, or a bunch of use cases.

And don't come up with, that it is designed as a programming language.

Whats the fucking matter

Human readable and machine parsable presentation of hierarchical structured data.

I normally fucking hate XML, especially actually having tried parsing some of it, but it has a legitimate use in serializing really complicated things in human "readable" format, like state machines.
If you put them in something like JSON they'd be even worse.

Semantically marked-up text. Like typesetting data. Basically, what said.

>Wait until I tell you about JSON
Shit tier choice, has no comments.
Now, unfortunately all alternatives are either unstandardized, with no good parser existing (ini, s-expr, SDL, .properties), unfinished (TOML), bloatware (asn.1, yaml, dhall, mgmt) or exist on paper only (hson, json5) or otherwise impeded.
And since json for modern c++ is easily the best parser under the sun and damn near untouchable I end up using json anyway.

At my previous job we used xml files for definition of in-game objects. Model and texture set used, physical properties, type of object, etc.
So essentially, data storage in an organized way.

Thred

>68067178
XML is the standard for data sent to the IRS when e-filing.

.config files.

GUI programming

XML is proof that some people will put with, and defend, anything no matter how bad.

Why is it bad? It's basically HTML but generalized.

XML has schemas, so that with a proper IDE you don't fuck up the formatting. Reduces programmer time considerably.

When I was forced to use Java Spring at my internship, the XML configs were easy as hell to use. Way better than sublime text, which uses json. You have to Google for every fucking configuration.

>It's basically HTML
there you go

Attached: 38587688_p1.jpg (691x1077, 375K)

I want to swim in LuLu

ONLY VEIGAR IS ALLOWED TO

Attached: otplu95.jpg (1280x1195, 460K)

Lmao gettiNg cucked by ve*Gar.

XML is convenient as hell if you're working in any language that has lisp-style list manipulation. XML statements are just s-expressions with angle brackets. JSON is a little less verbose for human readability, but who the fuck wants humans reading through their raw datafiles anyway.