/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

gangster edition
last thread

Attached: 1538664784941.jpg (1210x720, 288K)

Other urls found in this thread:

files.catbox.moe/khsbnu.MOV
crutchfield.com/p_893CPCT150/Monitor-Audio-CP-CT150.html
youtube.com/watch?v=JpiX7Ltvk9Q&
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

sup, going strong with the dali zensor 3

still uncertain if i want to keep them. they have something to it that sounds just true but i'm not sure if i want to keep it. i might try b&w 607 sometime

Attached: 20180823_171651.jpg (3024x4032, 2.88M)

why the fuck were there so many CD changers made in the late 80s? I just want a good single disc player for a good used price

Damn these threads are so fast
I have and yeah, i didn't look enough. I found:
Marantz SR6004 for 400€ (it's used and they don't accept paypal and don't let you return it)
Sony str-dn1080 new for 600€
There is a lot of stuff on ebay that looks similar, but i don't know what i should look for.

Anyway, maybe i'm not understanding something, in the manual of the Marantz (www.bwgroup.fi/downloads/dl/file/id/3/kayttoohje_marantz_sr6004_6005_pdf.pdf) at page 25, where there seems to be a setup similar to the one i've in mind, it says
>The surround back speakers, front height speakers or speaker C (bi-amp) cannot be used when ZONE speaker A is being used.
While in the Sony manual it doesn't show any active+passive configuration at all

I'm retarded, this was meant for

Can someone shed some light on what set up i should use? Ive got two 5.1 systems to choose between. The only fault i had with the first was no remote so i bought a second one that had a remote and now dont kno if i should just swap the receiver or the whole system.

First is a Kenwood KRF V5200D
Vs.
LG DH6330P
Can upload specs ive found

Can I join the JBL Mafia?

Attached: k.png (735x735, 1.01M)

One of us one of us

Attached: IMG_3966.jpg (4032x3024, 1.91M)

One of us one of us

Attached: cMPzddb.jpg (4656x2620, 1.95M)

Hello comrade

Attached: IMG_3979.jpg (4032x3024, 1.78M)

Hello you.
Enjoying music with the gang?

Attached: o294K78.jpg (2620x4656, 1.95M)

Yes! We are. Compared to the Harbeth, the JBL are vast improvements to all area of sound. The soundstage is ridiculously wide, the imaging is insane, pinpoint accurate. I can close my eyes and point out exactly where everything is, and how far away. The sound floats in the air, inbetween my speakers. It's like the speakers dissapear. It's spooky as hell, especially when it's late, I have the lights off and I'm listening in the dark.

Like the Harbeths the JBL recreate vocals in the midrange with a awesome sense of realism. Even the high end sparkles and sounds wonderful. Moving Pictures by Rush is far from aN audiophile approved album, it will sound harsh and bad if your setup isn't capable. But on the JBL? Holy shit I ain't ever heard Rush sound this good. It basically peels the skin off your face. They aren't kidding when they call JBL good rock speakers. But as I said before, they handle vocals great too, the way Joni Mitchell's voice hangs in the air in the room from her excellent album Both Sides Now... I can just imagine the picture in the front of the album, cigarette smoke hanging thick in the air and Joni Mitchell centre stage behind the mic. I constantly get a feeling of being there, with the artist. It's like they're in the room with me. And speaking of bass it is quite prodigious and excellent. I have the usual suckouts I've experienced since the beginning at 70hz and 100hz, but according to REW, frequency response is surprisingly even, and I get very significant extension to about 28hz. If I had more room I'd get a pair of subs. But since I have the JBL corner loaded, I don't really need to.

The JBL waveguide is fucking awesome. If I ever get a different or better speaker it'll be the M2. Even if I had the money, I don't even see the need to rush out and get one unless it's for a really good price. To the dudes talking shit about the 4367, (or was it just one guy?) honestly just shut your mouth. These speakers are fucking great.

Attached: IMG_3936.jpg (2801x3736, 1.24M)

kill yourself iris you attention whore fag nobody cares about your shitty m2 reject speakers

>It's like the speakers dissapear. It's spooky as hell, especially when it's late, I have the lights off and I'm listening in the dark.
This is probably the thing I like the most about the 4367. Never heard a speaker disappear in the same way when you close your eyes. Have had my speakers for almost a year now and I'm still flabbergasted by them. Today at work I was even thinking about the experience they offer.

This song is so freaking amazing when you lean back and close your eyes.

Attached: 093A9291.jpg (667x1000, 99K)

Play cannibal corpse - the bleeding on them and share your experience.

It feels like it's not worth spending money on good equipment when the source is complete shit.

>1000x1000.jpg, actually 700x700 kek.

Attached: 1000x1000.jpg (700x700, 138K)

Honest question: Is there any difference in sound quality between a $2 cable and a $50 cable?

if one of them has a flaw or is the wrong cable for the job then sure, but the price does not dictate that

Will do. By the way I haven't really talked about this anywhere. But... there's a serious design flaw with the Harbeth 30.2. It's something Herb Reichart talked about in his review in sterophile and I didn't really take it seriously until I started living with the Harbeths for a while. It does this when you play strong bass: files.catbox.moe/khsbnu.MOV that noise you're hearing? It's the sound of that Harbeth logo on the front of the grille slapping against the baffle. It's actually loud as fuck when you're playing 50hz or lower at 90db+ spl. It's really the most obnoxious noise ever. And the manufacture does not tecxomend removing the grilles. It changes the measurements by a fair bit, treble is +2-3db, bass is +0.5.db.

No flaw I assume, just one is a normal aux cable and the other one is a "high quality silver plated audiophile cable"

>files.catbox.moe/khsbnu.MOV
Kek.
Sure, the grilles makes noises on the JBLs as well when you really crank it.

>aux cable
you'd have to find a really problematic and basically broken cable to get a measureable difference with normal line level analog audio signals

>tfw no space for massive subs

Attached: 9a68c391bc508145d8aae6a5f7455ca9.jpg (890x1200, 203K)

Thanks, I just can't understand this audiophile meme and people assuring they hear more detailed sounds over their hundred dollars cables

Except the JBL measure same with them off or on. Not only that, with the Harbeths, the company designed them to be used with the grilles on. The designer himself says they'll have a fucked up sound of you remove them.

How are you else going to justify the cost? I personally have never experienced any real difference between cables as long as they aren't defect or picking up interference.
Have tried $1500 speaker cables in my system and if any I thought they sounded worse than the two cheaper cables I had in the system before. I've also bought a $500 interconnect to replace my cheap home-made interconnects, my OCD got satisfied but I could not hear any difference.

>Except the JBL measure same with them off or on
But they don't sound the same, I can hear a quite large difference in the mid-range. I thought that I wouldn't with the low XO-point, but it's night and day.

Attached: JBL-4367-hangfal-studio-monitor-7.jpg (660x660, 120K)

Attached: 6a26a35a6cf94690421d51990b5921ff.jpg (443x800, 58K)

>But they don't sound the same, I can hear a quite large difference in the mid-range. I thought that I wouldn't with the low XO-point, but it's night and day. Honestly I haven't tried. What difference in the midrange did you find? I find that interdicting because the crossover point is 700hz.... and the midrange would be done by the compression driver. Anyway, my point was, the JBL probably are completely fine to use with the grilles off, as JBL does not say otherwise, and I think any owner would use them with them off, unless you have small children. Wait... you own 4367 as well.

It's a stackable sub. There are 3 units.
That one looks more like jewelry than anything else.

>files.catbox.moe/khsbnu.MOV
A little surprising that resonates there. Installing damping compound was apparently not on the bill.
Is the grille dense?

Everest shop?
It's a smaller speaker in person, the rear is very shallow. The curvature fits it into corners nicer, but the size would come at the cost of LF extension.

What bitrate should I use when encoding OGG from FLAC for my phone? I've been doing 320 but I feel like that's overkill.

Attached: 1508107836654.jpg (600x540, 109K)

>It's a stackable sub. There are 3 units.
>That one looks more like jewelry than anything else.
Yeah, that's why I said subs(plural). RELs biggest subs.
>Everest shop?
Yes. But I've actually seen a guy stack two everests on-top of each other.

Attached: image.php.jpg (640x428, 49K)

>stack two everests on-top of each other
What.
Why?

Why you even bother with encoding? Modern phones have a lot of memory. It's not like you can listen to all those 10000 albums anyway in a sane time.

Apparently it's a magnet behind the logo causing the noise. That's what's rattling. I did attempt to remove the grille myself to see if it was possible to remove the badge but it's actually extremely difficult to remove the grilles without a specialized tool. Harbeth designs the speakers to never be used with the grille removed, at least on the 30.2. Anyway I guess if you remove the magnet it fixes the issue, but this honestly wasn't even the 3rd or 4th raisin why I sold them.

It feels like it'd be a waste of space. I'm using a Nexus 5X so I can't use an SD card for more space so OGG seems like the best trade-off.

>Why?
More money than brain, fun, cool, muh dynamics, a throwback to the good old days.
I find 192 to be good enough for mobile use. Just make sure to use at least 2dB headroom.

Attached: 37da70b2c3a458cf5131aa94526c7f73.jpg (461x720, 50K)

Thanks user. Now if my player would support OPUS that'd be perfect.

I personally don't find any real difference between different codecs at higher(>128kbit/s) bit-rates. But the way they are converted is very audible. Not using enough headroom will lead to additional clipping, the lower the bit-rate the more headroom is needed. I don't know the exact science behind it, but it has something to do with sharp waves being transformed to triangle waves.

Attached: Daily reminder to not be a pleb.png (1830x980, 89K)

>Is the super tweeter actually working or am I deaf?

Attached: jbl1_07.jpg (800x600, 78K)

Thanks for the info

The track is already clipped. Resampling required by lossy coding just tosses in more, the interpolated waveform of the original already goes over the samples.

Personally, I'd avoid music on phone, if you are using that for listening in headphones in public which is usually the case. It is a lot of stress on your ears. Which is not a good thing.

>it came in the mail today
I have now entered dangerous meme territory

Attached: y1isvzdpdqdmgix32ghi.jpg (800x600, 58K)

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 185K)

based

Attached: 4cdf50ed-ca2b-4b9b-9ae2-cc0478e3c393.png (1920x1080, 1.47M)

These speakers sufficient for surround speakers? Furthest I'm sitting away is 10ft or so, probably less.

crutchfield.com/p_893CPCT150/Monitor-Audio-CP-CT150.html

My soffits are open so struggling to find stuff with a closed back and don't want to DIY it since gotta work around AC ducting and stuff.

Attached: monitor-audio-cp-ct150.jpg (620x378, 18K)

For a PC are speakers better than headphones for casual entertainment (games, movies, music)?

R8 my new setup.

Attached: IMG_20181015_191132~01.jpg (4608x3456, 2.97M)

not sure what speakers but looks comfy. I find a big difference when I pull them off the wall more. Maybe not reasonable for your setup but just worth a try messing around to see what differences you hear. You might try treating that back wall.
> image5329
are you collecting gay pics user?

Attached: 1497571442547.png (499x499, 27K)

oh no that's a picture of myself.

toe them speakers in

pls advise

Attached: 1521773865386.jpg (916x910, 66K)

oh. that does make a world of difference. thank you for the reminder.

They should be

Thanks.

Could've had the same effect for 1/10th the price lol. But have fun user

Rate my set up

Attached: 1539657926244523.jpg (2304x1728, 414K)

Grandpa/10

where's the phono player?

>frequency response is surprisingly even

Can you show it with 1/48 or 1/24 smoothing and two channels separate?

>that rackmount amplifier

I had one of those, bretty good.

I bet you'll cowards don't even homebrew your own tube amps

Attached: IMG_20181013_133029.jpg (3264x2448, 3.07M)

I like having more that 5 watts of power at my disposal

Buy more sensitive speakers

Fine, this one will do 20-25 with the 6CW5 output tube.

Attached: IMG_20180518_110247.jpg (3264x2448, 1.99M)

Working on it faggot. I encountered a snag which I think is the voltage relay. I' gonna source a new one tomorrow and see if that's really it.

Attached: IMG_7401.jpg (2016x1512, 694K)

too much distortion for my tastes

>play music too loud
>neighbors call the cops

Attached: just.jpg (472x472, 66K)

Most speakers of a certain size and construction quality can be made to sound very samey with the use of equalisation.

Above a certain standard, you really don't need to keep spending money.

MFW people spend thousands and thousands on a used system, or $10000+ on a new system.

Attached: download (1).jpg (225x225, 8K)

You can't eq dispersion

Anyone seen ZeroFidelity videos? They are so cringe worthy:
youtube.com/watch?v=JpiX7Ltvk9Q&

Try Steve Guttenberg

Attached: headshots_Steve_Guttenberg[1].jpg (194x194, 9K)

When I have nothing to do I go to audiophool online stores and talk with consultants about cables

I like my Zensor 3. Don't even know what to upgrade to from them.

You have to go deeper

Attached: 856c6bdfca0e1c3150a7602df9e0a9df_1920_KR.jpg (1920x1080, 116K)

Also cringe-y

I feel like this might be good tho

I'm upset that I didn't know this existed and grumpy about the money it's going to cost but glad that you showed me this dark path

Any recommendations for some small monitors for a PC? Small being key.

bump

genelec 8010

better for your ear health

>£500
Anything cheaper?

Certainly more comfortable. You aren't wearing anything, don't have to deal with cable tangles on a regular basis.
You can get a sense of being enveloped by the sound with speakers, which is just not possible for the majority of tracks and headphones. Surround listening though.
You do have to deal with noise pollution and space taken up by the speakers.

I was interested in purchasing my first monitors of the purpose of mixing my music
What should I get for 100 and under?
Also a soundcard and a cable is all I need right?

Logitech S-120

how big of a deal is noise pollution? I wont get a subwoofer and wont go loud
Would neighbors still complain

Depends entirely on your neighbors

iloud micro monitors

Yeah I've seen those I think that's the only option, cheers

they're not really cheap for what they are, but they're tiny and do sound pretty decent especially for the size

Yeah 250 quid is a lot

I noticed that your favorite youtube guitar sperg has these on his desktop. For my tiny bedroom will they be better than listening with my MDR7506 headphones? They look kind of cheap and spergy, maybe I should just fix my headphones and get speakers when I get a bigger room?

Attached: 1408457125000_1076427.jpg (500x500, 34K)

can't really compare headphones and speakers, totally different imaging, room interaction and whatnot makes it a different experience

cute

Attached: sapphire-slows-genelec8010a.jpg (1600x1000, 265K)

Fuck you
Give me a real answer

not happening for under 100

i'm eager to try the new Oberon 3 and B&W 606 side by side at a local shop

My laptop has speakers in it and I can definitively say that my Apple Earpods sound better. In a better room would the laptop speakers sound better?