Linux Mint

>Linux Mint
Why?

Attached: 1024px-LinuxMint_Nice_Logo.svg.png (1024x1024, 239K)

BC it is user friendly and i like cinnamon desktop.

it just werks

>bc it's user friendly
Use Windows if you need it to be user friendly

None of the pitfalls of windows and doesn’t have to be babysitted like other obscure distros. Great for most casual users and people who don’t want to tinker

But why not use full on Ubuntu?

pretty much this
for anyone jumping ship from windows it's perfect

>Why do different things exist?
Why use ubuntu user? Actually, why not use gentoo?

When I first switched to using Linux full time, I used Mint because Ubuntu had Amazon adware at the time. I could have used Xubuntu or another derivative but Cinnamon caught my eye.

after that unity bs, i'm never going back

That's just plainly stupid. I don't understand this elitism when it comes to using Linux and doing it the "hard" way. If using Linux makes you more productive, doesn't that mean it's inherently more user friendly?

Mint update and driver manager

My experience with cinnamon ended when it kept breaking all the time. Switched to Xubuntu and everything was fine plus I like xfce better than cinnamon. Then switched because I was tired of Ubuntu as a whole. Now I'm on Arch but I'm not saying I recommend it to any user.

This

Cinnamon and Mint tools such as the update manager.
If I had to use Ubuntu it would be one of the spinoffs like Mate or Xfce.

This

Ubuntu is fucking garbage, theres no reason to use any Ubuntus other than MATE and lxde.

Ubuntu with a different DE is still Ubuntu

Go back

LFS

Some guy called "Clem" was dissaointed with way ubuntu goes so he decided to make "A better ubuntu", and he did a pretty good job.

These. Linux Mint worked better than Ubuntu in my PC without having to do extra configuration, and cinnamon is the perfect DE for those new to Linux.

Because I have a working distro in 20 mins and every driver I need on board and I love the update manager

Ubuntu LTS with a nicer cinnamon desktop.

Mate is like cinnamon's ugly sister.

There was a time where Linux Mint was vastly improved over Ubuntu. Unity sucked, and this stuck to GNOME 2. Mint had a better menu for GNOME. Mint had a GUI frontend for apt, before Ubuntu Software Center. Ubuntu had a GUI updater. These days, I'd just recommend Kubuntu over Mint for starters.

>eat my ass if you need it to be user friendly
Doesn't make much sense now, does it?

I installed Kubuntu after being sick of Win10 in May and it was full of bugs, absolutely unusable.
Then I made a dualboot of Win7 + Mint and its perfect. Mint just werks, and Win7 just werks for those moments I need to use AutoCAD.

Attached: hecutemirror.jpg (600x600, 303K)

That's funny, because I tried kubuntu about 5 or 10 years ago and it was the worst GNU/Linux distro I've tried. And I've been using it since 2002.
And I was just using Cinnamon Mint a few months ago and was quite pleased with it.

Kubuntu has come a long way, but Mint still has better defaults out of the box, especially for new users who preferred Windows 7 over 8 or 10. Cinnamon's settings UI is also less intimidating for newbies than KDE's.

I have to use XFCE on my older laptop and Mint with XFCE was just worlds better that Xubuntu.

The Xfce edition literally fixes over a dozen things wrong with Xubuntu. I assume Mate edition does the same.

It's less user friendly.

You joking? Spyware named matrix, that amazon thing. Ugly and less user friendly. Looks like broken smartphone. Sure if was more friendly and looked similar to 2008

Fuck off moron. Some distros are more userfriendly than Windows.

No reason whatsoever, don't bother. Go with a better distribution such as OpenSUSE or Ubuntu.

Because Ubuntu is rotten garbage - I'm practically insulting the garbage here -, but offers a great basis to create something decent.

"It just werks" and doesn't stab you in the back.

Sorry but the software I use to download Instagram feeds only works on Windows machines. Linux will have to wait.

Attached: Untitled.jpg (534x127, 26K)

Because Linux noobs need somewhere to start, and normies tired of Windows 10 eating their files and breaking itself need somewhere to escape to.

>hurr durr look at me i like to waste time on An OS that is complete mess but hey it s complicated and so i m an ELITE

i just lost few hours trying to install this shit
linux was a mistake and winblows sucks
i am doomed we all are

Windows is user abusive.

>mfw I found out people pronounce it Muh-tay
Just call it mate you fucking dumb cunts.

Attached: cat_disgust_2.png (492x482, 358K)

It’s how normies enter the Linux community along with Zorin. Good starter distro, but if you’ve been using Linux consistently for more than 6 months, and you’re still on Mint or Zorin, you’re a fucking pussy

Not necessarily. Some people just don't want the hassle of a more user involved distro. I'm on Manjaro and considering switching over to mint.

Yeah good luck. Manjaro is 10,000,000x superior

Because I'm too retarded for Manjaro.
Trust me, I've tried to switch, it didn't go well.

>arch based
dropped

because I have a job and need a distro that unironically just works

Attached: 1538334533680.png (920x900, 443K)

Linux Mint is so behind that they still haven't figured out how to implement hibernate yet.

Here’s the issue with Mint, though. Since it’s based off of Ubuntu LTS, it has an older repository, especially near the release of the next LTS. The packages are much older, and it’s not suited for most people, because of this. It’s better suited for enterprise and education. On top of that, it gives the users the option to use even older repositories, which could open the OS up to unpatched security flaws. Again, since it’s based on Ubuntu, security patches arrive slower to the Mint repositories. Timing is everything in preventing exploitation of serious vulnerabilities, so this could mean the difference between getting breached or not. Definitely not a good choice security-wise. Just use Ubuntu if you’re insistent on using an easygoing Debian-based distro.

Nah you're just retarded.
Legit retarded mate, you need to actively fuck the *buntus installations for them to fail.

What you guys doing that windows arent good enough for you?

Because Windows is proprietary spyware that reports to the NSA and CIA. Also, it’s shit for software development and server use because of no integrated package management like in Linux. Linux just blows Windows out of the water for that reason alone plus many others. That’s why the majority of web servers are running Linux.

Gay stuff, the hardcore kind that will break your everyday Windows computer.

Not idling at 75% RAM and 40% CPU usage.

Mint goes one step further in the user friendliness area by having a DE that is designed to accommodate people used to windows and by simplifying the system configuration/management programs and like mindedly developing their own alternatives of many other useful small programs.

I tried installing Kubuntu but I got some random flickers every now and then. I just go back to mint asap.

What's wrong with old packages? If someone need some update badly, he can just download it via PPA. No need to make everything (which most of them aren't even gonna be used) updated.