/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics card pairing.
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.
>For Win7 in Ryzen, refer to pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

CPU
>i3 8100 - Bare minimum gaming
>R5 2400G/R5 2600/x- Consider IF on sale
>i5 8400 - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>Wait for i7 9900k and 9700k - Surely the best for gaming at any resolution
>i7 8700k - Currently best high-end gaming at any resolution/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are top of the line GPU atm but wait untill the price comes down a little
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
>Avoid Vega they are poor values and inferior to their Pascal counterpart in every way
1080p
>1060 6GB standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 4Gb for lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/1080 if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
1440p
>GTX 1070Ti/1080
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher FPS /w a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Gtx 1080ti/2080. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>NVMe are not for gaming; See "More"

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider G-Sync with nVidia cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous thread
More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Attached: 1500908622801.jpg (396x528, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/
rentry.co/pcbg-more
youtube.com/watch?v=mFSLro_OXLQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AUyF--fJaaM&t=46
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wfsnw6
techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/
amazon.com/dp/B0746PS3VM/
amazon.com/Pixio-Display-Professional-Adaptive-Sync-Monitor/dp/B07CYRF58V/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Create a parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a guide for your socket

Want help?
>State your budget & CURRENCY
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose and graphics pairing
>NO Speccy. Use HWinfo

CPU
>Athlon 200GE - Minimal desktop
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G/i5-8400 - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-9700k - If pairing w/ a 2080Ti and the extra $200+ is worth ~135 FPS instead of ~120 FPS to you, despite better CPUs coming next year and requiring new boards
>R7 2700/X - Best value high-end CPU on a non-HEDT platform
>Wait for R7 3700X - Surely the best overall and not a massive disappointment like the 9900k
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>RTX 2000 cards are worse performance per $ than previous gen
>Avoid cheap MODELS ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS dual, and others w/ small heatsinks and low quality fans
1080p
>RX 570/580 w/ Freesync or 1060 6GB - standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050 3Gb or RX560 4Gb - lower settings and/or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 - for higher FPS w/ a high hz monitor
1440p
>Vega 56; 1070Ti/1080 if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti - for higher FPS w/ a high hz monitor
>Upscale from 1620-1800p. Maybe 2080Ti, but awful value.
OpenCL use
>Vega 64

Storage
>Backup before using StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard
>NVMe are not for gaming; See "More"

Display
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync w/ AMD cards
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous
More
rentry.co/pcbg-more

Reminder to wait for Ryzen 3000 + RTX price drop

Can someone help me decipher these graphs?
Why is my GPU going up and down from 0% to 100% like that?
Why is memory clock bouncing as well?
I see CPU usage is very high, but not 100%, is this still considered a bottleneck?

>game: Guild Wars 2
>CPU: FX-4130
>RAM: 12GB
>inb4 upgrade your shit

Attached: msi1.png (1101x1570, 161K)

cursed image

Forgot to mention
>GPU: RX 580 8GB

AM4 will receive regular updates until 2020, and ryzen 4000 and possibly 5000 series chips will work in x370 boards.

based and redpilled
cringeworhy pajeet

Your GPU throttle itself when low workload

FX-4130 is a really really bad CPU man.

you should definitely attempt to upgrade. Its not even really salvagable, none of the FX CPUs are acceptable for use in the current year.

S H I L L OP

Attached: 1530452448660.jpg (700x565, 73K)

You mean wait for RTX 7nm node shrink. Those'll be at least 35% higher performance.
Navi will also probably be out by then.

Lots of games can't fully utilize Bulldozer cores because fp64 requires combining the FPU32 of two cores.
It's pretty normal to be bottlenecked on Bulldozer despite CPU usage not going much over 65%.
RX580 is massively overpowered for that CPU. You should have at least a i7-2600. An 8core Bulldozer would sometimes keep up with that GPU, but often times have this same issue of 65% utilization at most still while bottlenecking in some games.
Best value to buy new to pair with your GPU and a future upgrade is the R5 2600.
To reuse your DDR3, best to get is something like the 3960X (can get for

Can I tell it to knock that shit off?

Yes I know, but didn't you see the >inb4?
Oh well. I'm considering buying a new processor, but I only play this one game and it has an old ass engine so it shouldn't be that big of a problem. I really want to overclock either this processor or a new one but my RAM is mixed speeds and the last time I tried, it failed to boot.
But yeah, it is OK processor for my needs, the FX series is OK for me.

>RTX price drop

cute

>Why is my GPU going up and down from 0% to 100% like that?
Because it's an AMD GPU and they don't work properly unless it's at 100% usage.

Waiting for 3600/3700X but fuck RTX, pass with with that goy shit. Waiting for 7nm Vega or 3080Ti.

What about Vishera core like FX-8300+?

starting to get swayed by the shills and intel's ridiculous 9th gen euro prices into buying a 2700x desu

.000004¢ has been deposited into your account. Thank you for your service.

>9900k and 2070 releasing on the same date

Based Intel and leather jacket man

I guess my point is it's not really worth troubleshooting when you can get some Haswell thing, a brand new inspiron or other desktop motherboard on ebay and use your same ram and rest of shit and probably get better performance for less than 150 bucks

You're still going to get great performance so why not?

Thank you for your purchase in advance.

Attached: 1432851768149.png (501x585, 26K)

Based Nvidia driver update downgrading Pascal cards so Vega is clearly in the lead.

Time to remove all Nvidia cards from the OP?

Attached: vivaldi_2018-10-15_11-15-05.png (2004x1017, 193K)

But that's a total mismatch? You're really limiting yourself with that GPU, wasting the 9900k.

Nevermind, I guess you missed my point about not upgrading huh? I'll just figure it out on my own.

>vivaldi

Can you do this again but with older and current drivers?

youtube.com/watch?v=mFSLro_OXLQ

>Some people actually spent $700 for a GTX 1080 and another $600 for a 144hz 1440p Gsync monitor

Not my benches, but someone in the previous thread linked a video of the old and new driver.
New driver is 10-20% worse performance for Pascal cards. Sour milk happening at record speeds, as predicted by many anons.
Unironically seems that Nvidia GPUs don't belong in the OP. While you can just use the old driver, that'll only work for games released at or around that driver. New games can require new driver and thus force the gimping.
Yeah that one.

Attached: vivaldi_2018-10-15_11-17-14.png (1994x1022, 207K)

what does 1% low mean?

Finally people are starting to take note of the shameless AMD shilling going on here.
I guess they figured they would make more money from viral marketing than they would with R&D.

the 1% worst frametimes averaged together.
It's like "minimum" except it averages out edge cases. That's how low the FPS is sometimes dipping down to in the worst cases.

Nice false flag. But we get too many of those for that bait to work.

Why can't AMD into GPUs?

>Nice false flag. But we get too many of those for that bait to work
They must pay you better than all the other pajeets

I am completely fine with people buying 2600 as long as they don't expect results achieved on premium hardware(RAM, cooler, motherboard) on stock, and cheap components.
Or say if somebody already has B-die RAM or a good cooler, then 2600 again becomes a better offer. Again it depends on a lot of things.

>He doesn't give a shit because he only wants to present a manipulative strawman argument.
>He is actually a dumber cunt than the OP.
Pointing out hardware used in a benchmark and giving context is shilling
>posting benchmarks without any context or info on what was used, based and redpilled objective data
Fuck off, either show me proof of your claims or fuck off.
Saying shit like "he has been btfo" many times while providing nothing of substance except "please believe me it's true" is reaching to say the least.

>I'm not even that guy but holy shit the whole rig is right there in the pic and you're given all the information you need to make up your mind. If they didn't have 4.2 GHz in the parentheses then yeah those would be misleading.
Because OC on a CPU is effected by the cooler, the powerdeliver(powersuppy and motherboard VRMS) and lastly it's not just the CPU thats overclocked but the RAM used is high quality with tightened timings.
Most of that shit IS mentioned in the video and even pointed out with timespamed video links. Except shills who post the one screenshot don't want to mention any of that.

What's the new hotness for CPUs? It's been years since I first built this and haven't kept up with the industry much. I heard Ryzen was good.

Attached: Capture.png (502x423, 26K)

is GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE good

Why can't Nvidia into drivers?

What do you mean?
Nvidia has historically had better drivers than AMD, so I'm genuinely curious what your point is unless you're just being retarded.

>That specific benchmark was done to show that a 2600 will beat 8400 if OC'd
Except it's not only OC, it also has premium RAM.

>If there is any one person who is clearly a paid shill on this board for intel/AMD/Nvidia, it's this guy.
Shill for literally all companies? Uh user?

>He keeps repeatedly being objectively BTFO
You keep repeating that with no proof. Are you hoping to just convince people of that statement with nothing to back it up? Surely you don't think so little of the people.

>Because the pic I replied to chose these motherboards?
>Asus - Prime B360-Plus ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Except thats not the motherboard hardware unboxed used?
Look here
youtube.com/watch?v=AUyF--fJaaM&t=46
>The core i5 8400 rig features the MSI B360 gaming plus
Here is what you used
>Asus - Prime B360-Plus ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
And as you can see the price difference between what was used by hardware unboxed is 83$ while the thing that the amd dude suggested was as you can see de.pcpartpicker.com/list/wfsnw6 €133.27
So what are you on about?
I mean christ all of this is covered in picture format as simple as it can get, with time stamp links to the video where he drops the info.
Yet you still try to weasel your way around it.

fake and gay

Attached: chrome_2018-10-15_18-27-55.png (899x861, 82K)

for what CPU and what kind of OC

YEAH BUT 15% REDUCED PERFORMANCE VS INTELS TOP DOG i9 9900K THATS NEARLY DOUBLE THE PRICE

Depending on your budget.

It's a bit of a shitshow right now. Ryzen is really good and a great value but still trails intel by a small margin in gaming. Intel however has what they call "supply shortages" and therefore really high prices atm.
Unless you really want an upgrade I'd suggest to wait another 6 months and check again.
If not: SSDs are cheap right now, add a 2600x and 16 GB of ram on a decent motherboard and you're good to go. New Nvidia GPUs are a scam and Radeon is struggling to become viable again in the high end sector.

Intel isn't really that competitive right now with their prices being hiked up.
It's more fringe cases as to where you don't mind the money or really need the performance(high refresh gaming with at minimum 1080ti).
And maybe 8400 build if you can get the CPU for cheap, some how, and then build a top budget build.

r5 2600. 4.1ghz maybe?

Don't be picky and get the 9900k

2600/X is the best value one right now and good for 60fps minimum in any AAA games at a minimum. Often much better than that.

If there is any shill out of those companies, you retard. Clearly an intel shill, out of those.

No. Gigabyte AM4 boards are all garbage. Literally anything else is better except maybe Biostar.

>only 119 fps at 1080p
>not 144fps at 1440p
HMMMM guess it's a CPU bottleneck huh.
There's no way a highly optimized console multiplayer shooter runs that badly on PC. I don't see other sources getting nearly that bad of 1080p results. Nice fake ruskie benchmarks.
Also likely doesn't have the recent driver updates that just came 2 days ago for both AMD and Nvidia.

I can't watch the vid right now so can you give it to me straight: is the mobo the one in the pic? And the one in the video is a different one? Why is this my fault?

For 2600, you want load line calibration or LLC if doing a static overclock and decen't VRM/heatsink combo.
4 phases is enough to get the job done probably, just make sure the heatsink is okay with something like the MSI tomahawk or mortar.
If you want to work with precision boost overdrive overclocking you need offset voltage which MSI boards don't have.
If you want BLCK overclock you need a clockgen and those boards are usually more expensive.
The main thing I don't like about the board you said, is that it's heatsink is covered by fucking plastic and shit and 4 phases with "okay" mosfets is enough but again I feel they will get toasty.

pcpartpicker has my build at 399w atm. Trying to decide if 550w psu is enough. I plan on flashing the bios on my Vega 56 up to 64, I assume it would draw a little more power. Should I just upgrade to 650w?

It's written in here.
techspot.com/review/1627-core-i5-8400-vs-ryzen-5-2600/

Any reason not to get a x370 crosshair 6 for a 2700x right now? It's considerably cheaper than any x470 of a similar quality tier as far as I can see and even supports asynchronous eCLK for more stable BCLK

>If there is any shill out of those companies, you retard. Clearly an intel shill, out of those.
Yeah, I'm a intel shill if I argue with amd fanboys.
And amd shill if I argue with intel fanatics
Nvidia shill if I suggest any of their cards.
Must be raking in the though like mad, shilling for everybody and everything.
Or maybe just fucking maybe, I have my own opinion and fanboys piss me the fuck off.

>is the mobo the one in the pic?
Hardware unboxed used MSI B360 gaming plus at 83$
The other guy suggested that intel needs Asus/prime b360-plus which is €133.27
The whole point is that these amd fags hike up the prices for what the intel budget build needs and I do mean needs, when literally the components used are out there, told by the benchmark maker.
>Why is this my fault?
I don't know who you are, I assumed I am still arguing with the person who made the link with the ryzen vs intel build here

Attached: Placas-base-AMD-400-Series-1.jpg (1566x750, 165K)

OK, I think I found the settings as to why my GPU is jumping around so much. Should I change it or just leave it alone? What do you guys all have yours set at?

Attached: wattman.png (2543x1306, 1.15M)

>If you want to work with precision boost overdrive overclocking you need offset voltage which MSI boards don't have.
What does this mean exactly? I plan to get 2600x with a b450 msi a pro. Should I not get msi?

Also, no free StoreMI if you need it.

Attached: Placas-base-AMD-400-Series.jpg (1567x786, 143K)

>I plan on flashing the bios on my Vega 56 up to 64,
That's fucking stupid. You know your card will be hot as shit at all times after you do that right?

Get seasonic PSU if possible they have quality stuff. Get gold effiency, thats the sweet spot of being efficient but not overpriced like mad.
What ever your power requirement, double it and thats the maximum PSU wattage you need since PSU perform at their best effiency wise around 50% load. Nothing is stopping you from getting less wattage psu, just made sure your typical power usage is within 20-80% of the PSU wattage, being too low or too high is inefficient.

>Biostar
AHAHAHAHAHA

There are many reports of it running perfectly fine, user.

>I plan to get 2600x with a b450 msi a pro
2600x is best OCed with Precision boost overdrive, XFR, BLCK.
Since BLCK is fancy and more expensive, I am going to assume you will go with PBO overclock.
Thus you should have offset voltage, it's absolutely needed to have a good PBO overclock on ryzen X chips.
MSI boards while having good heatsinks on some of their boards and good VRMS on others. I think all or almost all lack offset voltage (which is ridiculous and I Really can't understand why they don't include that)

Anyway you can OC the 2600x with PBO on MSI motherboard it's just it wont be nearly as good as on a board with offset voltage.

Fuck off Pajeet.

pstates is normal shit m8.
It's jumping around because your CPU isn't powerful enough to keep it maxed out.

You flash it THEN you undervolt it. Jesus.
Flashing is mainly to give you a higher memory voltage limit, not for the higher core voltage limit when stock voltage is already too high for core.

550W is enough if you undervolt. Which you should. No point is increasing power from 200w to 300w to get only like 5% higher FPS.

Attached: RadeonSettings_2018-10-15_11-50-21.png (2560x1402, 502K)

No idea what you're talking about, new drivers killed MHW performance in my machine, had to roll back the drivers. When I had an ATI card they actually improved my games with each update, can't wait to dump this shit for Navi desu.

How does one know if a board has offset voltage?

Need an advice on upgrading my current setup

Specs:
GPU: gtx 1070
CPU: i5-4440
RAM: 8 GB ddr3

Uses:
Web Development, some video/photo editing.

Also the current monitor I have is shit(1080p and scratched in several places). Is there something decent and not expensive for photo editing/watching movies.

Attached: Glob_Herman.png (305x400, 174K)

One word.
Linux.

I've been reading confusing statements on the CH6 actually having both XFR2 and PBO. Does anybody have one?

if you really want to be sure, you have to check the motherboard bios and if it has that option.
Most boards should have it I think, but double check and be sure that what ever you are getting in the end has it.
Just I know that MSI bios donesn't have it for some reason. Which again is a shame because their heatsinks and VRMS are pretty good compared to the rest of the brands.

Brainlet here, would I be better off getting a 2600 or 2600x? I do plan to OC eventually and I do already have a good cpu cooler.

Attached: 550.png (207x243, 7K)

Shiet so if I wanna OC a 2600X I better go with an ASUCC board? Shame, I hate that brand.

Okay that was fairly comprehensive but I have two issues with that article:
The value proposition is not up to date anymore, the 8400 now costs more then the 2600, in many countries significantly and I expect an eventual 9400 to cost the same.
And in regards to the mobo/ram debate it's true that you don't need high end parts but neither does the ryzen. It would be fairer to say that the intel doesn't really benefit from those things unlike the Ryzen.
And I seem to remember that with lower end motherboards the i5 doesn't reach the advertised turbo speeds unless you manually remove the power limit. It could have been the 8700 though, I'm not 100% sure on that.

RTX 2070 benchmark WHEN?
I want to know how much I fucked up by getting a 1070 for 1080p currently and maybe 1440p some time later.

Attached: Nvidia-GeForce-RTX-2070.jpg (1000x563, 29K)

I would recommend Ryzen™ for multitasking™ and desktop applications such as video editing™ and zipping/unzipping files™, especially if you don't play games and want the best value for money™

>IIDF kikes are accusing all AMD posters of being paid poo-in-loo shills
Interesting shift, the classic "look over there goyim, a brown person!" strategy.

Attached: 1539489922273.png (404x471, 67K)

Do I have to set up all these things or are they done by themselves? (PBO, XFR, BLCK) and what do you mean BLCK is fancy and more expensive?

>Shiet so if I wanna OC a 2600X I better go with an ASUCC board? Shame, I hate that brand.
No, I said if you want to OC an X chip I suggest you don't go with MSI.
Again you can do a PBO OC on msi, just because it doesn't have offset voltage it will be a lot worse than on other boards.
You still have asrock, asus, gigabite to choose from. Each brand has their own problems such as terrible VRMS or terrible heatsinks, or terrible memory compatabilty(biostar) and so on.

Any reason why MSI refuse to have a voltage offset?

I am just the messenger.
The 8400 costs the price of a 2700X, the 8600K around an entry level threadripper and let's not talk about the 8700K and 9th gen. Doesn't matter the test results for me, Intel is simply not a viable alternative.

I agree with you on the memory. Noone forces anyone to buy B-Die RAM, especially now that the prices are fixed by the manufacturers.
About the mobos I assume they picked a high end one for Ryzen to reach the overclock in a stable manner. And with a cheapo Intel socketed one because the 8400 cannot be overclocked.

hey if im gonna use a 1060 6gb should i just use the i3 8100 or should i spend a bit more to get the i5 8400?

>Do I have to set up all these things or are they done by themselves?
For optimial performance, absolutely you have to set them up. That's what OC is all about, manually adjusting things to make it better. Even with XFR or PBO you adjust how they work, so they work better.
Just so you know, you can just have an 2600X chip and let it do it's own thing, it will still boost itself, just not as much as it could.

>(PBO, XFR, BLCK) and what do you mean BLCK is fancy and more expensive?
BLCK requires a clockgen to do it properly, and that is usually more expensive, less boards have them and it's mostly a high end motherboard thing (with a few exceptions)

I cringe every time I see "60hz". Fucking herzlets, when will they learn.

Beats me user, they would be probably the best 2nd gen motherboards then, or at the very least heavily favored over all the rest.

>especially now that the prices are fixed by the manufacturers.
they still are though, the prices will remain high.

honest opinion on Logical Increments?

People are still clinging to 3+ year old ideals to cope with their buyers remorse.

Look at Nvidia's forums and it's thousands of posts of people complaining about not having basic features which Radeon settings has like dithering support and all sorts of issues. Not to mention the sour milk drivers regressing performance to sell their new GPUs.

Current GPU is fine.
I'd get a better CPU like the 2600, and yeah a nicer monitor. There's 75hz 1080p IPS monitors, but since you do video and photo editing, if you can afford it at around $250+, you can look at 1440p 75hz IPS monitors.
amazon.com/dp/B0746PS3VM/ Is an example.
amazon.com/Pixio-Display-Professional-Adaptive-Sync-Monitor/dp/B07CYRF58V/ a cheap 10bit color one, which might be something you need.

All B450/X470 support XFR2 and PBO.
It's the clockgen for a BCLK OC and/or having voltage offset in the BIOS that you're looking for.
Figuring out if a board has a good BIOS with voltage offset is... difficult.

Voltage offset is important because SenseMi wants package temp to stay under 67C for it to super aggressively boost. If you undervolt it with a negative voltage offset, it's a lot cooler and thus will aggressively boost higher.
However this depends on silicon lottery, obviously. They give some extra voltage stock for a reason, to ensure stability even for the most poorly binned chips.

This was JUST answered The only thing to add is that if you don't want to manually OC, the 2600X with PBO matches/beats the 2600 overclocked to 4.2GHz in general.
Really using PBO results in a much more comfortable daily experience, even if Cinebench multithreaded scores are a little higher on a caveman overclock.
The X CPUs run so strong stock, or just with PBO enabled, that there isn't any point in considering an OC that's not a BLCK OC which as mentioned is exotic and limited to expensive boards.

Price fixing, not price fixing.

Attached: 2_gskill-ripjaws-2yr-history.png (1608x981, 100K)

I-....what are ...whats your point?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_fixing

Since you plan to OC and already have a good cooler, I'd go with the 2600.

Best value CPU is still i5 right?

Okay thanks anons, I'll just have to make sure my motherboard has the features to OC the 2600 correctly.

>Intel said last month (7/2018) that its 10 nanometer chips will be released for holiday 2019.
ok

Ryzen 1600 actually