Gentoo - please try it!

I've just installed Gentoo on my lappy after poking around with Linux (or GNU/Linux) for a year or so, and I conclude - if you are interested in Linux (or GNU/Linux) and you have some experience in it - please try it, it's very well made, fine-tuned and adequate. It honestly can't be compared with Arch - Arch doesn't have all the care and hard work that the devs of Gentoo have given it to their distro. No offence against Arch, but it doesn't stand a chance against Gentoo.
Please fall for the meme.

Attached: Gentoo.png (256x256, 14K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm scared :(

Trash compared to BSD. I don't know why Jow Forums has such a hard on for this garbage kernel.

>tfw fell for the meme

Don't be scared, man! The Gentoo handbook is super-descriptive and easy and you'll install it in no time (okay I lied, compiling can take long). My favourite thing about Gentoo is that it has preconfigured and tailored options just for you - for example, you can set a profile for GNOME or KDE Plasma, hardened or non-hardened kernel and OpenRC or systemd. You can configure every bit of your system via the USE flags, but (in my opinion) you don't even have to touch them that often just because of how nicely the profiles are done.

Linux (kernel, not a specific OS that uses it) is the most successful software prohect wether you like it or not.

Gentoo is a nice kernel. >:(

Yeah, the Linux kernel might go down the drain soon, but I don't want to try any BSD. Why should I if Gentoo is so nice?

give me a reason to switch off debian

Debian is also a nice distro, but Gentoo is more flexible and customizable via profiles and USE flags. Gentoo is rolling release, while Debian is following a traditional release cycle, which means that Gentoo has fresher packages. That doesn't mean that Gentoo is unstable - it's one of the few distros which do rolling release right.
I might say that you shouldn't just switch off Debian, because reinstalling a system after using it so long is hard. I recommend trying it on a separate device like a laptop and only then considering installing it on your main machine.

sounds interesting.
I'll give it a shot. I've got an old laptop I've been trying to find a use for anyways.

Gentoo is king!

install gentoo

Not using redox, go back to 2018

i recently just move from a year off ubuntu to arch linux. And why would i want to install gentoo what are the benefits i cant think off any. arch linux has a butt load off packages cause AUR. gentoo requires me to install most things from source there is also less documentation and support for gentoo. What is a benefit. I dont have any problems with learning things like gentoo or so but what can i gain from this.

Fuck off BSDshill

debian sid is also rolling, if anyone is interested in that, even though packages may not be as "fresh" as gentoo

Gentoo is great I used it for a long time

I prefer arch just because it installs faster and the default kernel is pretty decent and recent. While you can build any kernel you want for gentoo, I just hate having to do it while installing. Kernel customization is something I like to do later.

Made me kek. pic related.

Attached: Screenshot_20181015-210717_Firefox.jpg (720x1280, 60K)

Linux is a better unix kernel for any situation. Why? Because it supports so much hardware. For BSD you need to really research your hardware before hand. With linux, that gaming PC you built but no longer care to game on can become your new linux box.

I installed it a few months ago and I give it a solid 3/10

Debian sid is not the main goal of Debian and Debian focuses more on the stable branch. Gentoo is focused on stability. Debian is too, but not for the "unstable" branch.
>What is a benefit.
Sorry, I chuckled.
1. Gentoo also has a shitload of packages in its repos
2. Installing packages from source isn't that bad! Portage is a great and flexible package manager. The only drawback is time, but if you let your Gentoo to update/install heavy packages for a night it won't matter.
Compiling things from source lets you customize your system even more. USE flags let you enable/disable a lot features you might want/not want. Arch doesn't give a shit about that most of the time, it just installs every plugin into a single package. That's why Arch's package count is so low most of the time.
>there is also less documentation and support for gentoo
No. Gentoo's wiki is almost on par with the Arch wiki. Gentoo's wiki provides a lot of Gentoo-specific information, so it's not commonly known to people outside of Gentoo. Arch wiki is popular though, because it applies to almost any Linux (GNU/Linux) distro.
>support
There is a lot of support though! Devs are putting lots of documentation on the wiki and the community is much more decent and helpful than Arch's.

>but what can i gain from this
A different perspective on using Linux (or GNU/Linux). Arch is too narrow-minded, and I am an Arch user myself. Try Gentoo out.

Fair enough, but Gentoo is much more than a kernel. Also, you install just once, there's no need to reinstall Gentoo every weekend. More so, Gentoo's default kernel is also quite nice, but Arch's kernel isn't configurable.

i know that installing / compiling from source isnt bad. But if the program doesnt have any uninstall scripts you have to manually go into all the files and delete it what isnt horrible but can be a pain.

that being said where do i get myself gentoo. Im willing to try it out. And dual boot it with arch linux. cause as off know i need to keep my stuff on arch.

>uninstall scripts
Package management is handled by the Portage package manager, which is a package manager and not a series of scripts.
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64

Posting from Gentoo. It's a fine distro, but not for everyone.

If you don't want to customize software very much or patch it or are running this on a machine that is weak and shouldn't be compiling and you got no other machines to do it for Gentoo, it's not for you.

I think that Jow Forums as a whole is interested in customizing, just look how large desktop threads are. About the machines that are weak - yeah, you're probably right, but the average Jow Forums poster should at least try Gentoo.

Its placebo. You think it is better and more finely tuned, faster, better optimized and whatnot, because you spent quite a bit of time and effort installing it. You are just trying to justify your choice/effort in order to convince yourself that you did not waste your time.

In truth, there is little to no reason to use Gentoo over Arch or even Slackware and therre is little to no reason to use Arch or Slackware over something like Ubuntu or Debian, etc.. I highly doubt your computing needs and hardware are so specific that you need something like Gentoo.

wish it had a fucking installer

>gentoo requires me to install most things from source
thats the point you idiot

>not just building a linux gaming pc

>quite a bit of time and effort
I've put some commands in bash which took me 10 minutes, left compiling world for the night and woke up tweaking the system for about 30 minutes. That wasn't bad at all.
>faster
It is, but, at least for me, unnoticably. That's why I didn't talk about it ITT. Gentoo is indeed more finely tuned than other distros because I can customize every single package to my liking via USE flags.
Arch and Slackware aren't Gentoo. Arch is focused on supposed simplicity and KISS, and Slackware is focused on stability and Patrick Volkerding. Gentoo, compared to Ubuntu and other desktop distros, is less bloated and more versatile.
It's certainly not a placebo. Try it yourself and you'll see!

why is it so fucking needlessly complicated to get an AMDGPU working with x? you litterally have to manually enable like 30 different fucking kernel modules for it.

It's only slightly bothersome if you compile it as a builtin driver instead of module. Builtin requires you to bake the firmware into the kernel too which is PITA

Gentoo is pretty nice but I wish they were less anal with all the bureucracy. It's bunch of bullshit to even become a proxy-maintainer for ebuilds and even more so to be an official dev. Everyone seems to just maintain their own overlays because it's such a bother to try to deal with the gentoo devs. Overlays are fine but I wish more ebuilds would be available without adding a new overlay one every other week

Attached: tpgf20.webm (464x848, 425K)

I both like and am intimidated by the concept of use flags.

I think that's whats Clover OS it supposed to be.
Although I think it should be more of a installer then a distro.

It has old software and it lacks many packages

install gentoo

USE flags and kernel configuration are a lot less scary than they seem, I used to think the same.
Once you get the hang if it, though, you'll start to appreciate them.

install gentoo

Gentoo took the great BSD ports concept and improved it even further. Not to mention that Linux in general supports a lot more hardware.

Is this the new Gentoo thread?
How the fuck do I properly change the scaling governor? It's using the intel_pstate driver, and it's stuck on 'powersave' even after I set the default as conservative in the kernel but the conservative governor is nowhere to be found...

I use gentoo + coreboot. It is most fast system ever i have seen and highly configurable.
I control everthing.
>boot loader
>kernel options
>filesystem
>packages
But learning gentoo eat 5 years+ of my life and i have no job and friends, clothes.

i wanted gentoo (minimal os) on my 12 yo laptop was compiling the os yesterday for 4 hours now i cant genkernel :bash command not found
help me it says that i need to update me /etc/portage what do i need to do? the wiki and forums dont really help

My other concerns are the manual install process and compile times on some of my slower computers. I compiled a build of Cataclysm DDA once it was pretty slow on my 3 year old laptop.
I'm considering Void alongside Gentoo. What I really want is something that's a functional equivalent of Arch I don't have to worry about breaking after every update.

If you have a REALLY old machine, then Gentoo may not be the best choice, compile times can get really long in that case. Void may be a better choice.
That said, you can do it if you're as autistic as I am: I'm running Gentoo on a T43p, recompiling the entire system took literally 5 days.
A 3 year old laptop, however, is reasonable.
The manual install process is actually not hard at all, you just need to follow instructions (you can diverge of course once you know what you're doing, to better customize your installation).
Essentially, the steps are
>partition the disk
>extract the tarball containing the basic installation files (yes, that's how simple an operating system is under the hood)
>configure, compile and install the kernel
>install bootloader
>done
It's really not hard, however, it DOES take quite a bit, especially on slower processors, so take your time.

>A 3 year old laptop, however, is reasonable.
I was thinking of a portable computer like a Intel Atom or a Raspberry Pi. I would like to get a umpc some day but if it compiles to slow am shore Void would be fine.
Reading the handbook right now.

>configure, compile and install the kernel
you skipped some shit in the middle faggot

Op can use stage4

samefag spotted.

you can only compile so many packages before it kills your HDD

so, cloveros is legitimately usable?
how would going with calculate compare?

>t43p
1600x1200?
you get a dim/red backlight? fix it?
you mess with the heatsink on the gpu?

learn english fucking retard, I bet you just copy pasted everything and now you think you're a hacker

Install Gentoo

Attached: 123131231231312.png (1379x1189, 604K)

Hey can someone answer this, Gentoo users?
I want to install Gentoo on an Intel i5 4600m laptop, but I have a better laptop, an Intel i7 4710HQ and I much rather compile on that one, can I compile the whole core system to a USB of 28~GB and copy that to my i5 laptop?

Also I can do something l33t like SSHing into my other laptop and getting the binaries to this i5 laptop right? I mean I guess the usb has ssh on its packages.......

well yes, it is made just for your computer; so if you backup your system to an hdd it probably won't work on different hardware; is not like that is a need. But what is the benefit? Can you like install GNOME so minimal that it uses like 300MB? If it is the case I'm interested, but if the CPU and RAM usage is the same that on any distro then I don't care. I mean I wish stripping more the software could help, it actually can, but I don't think gentoo has more tools for that than any other distro, for starters it doesn't need to be source based....

>no USB support

But I dont want to compile everything, the few things I have installed from AUR already takes long enough

>I lost all arguments on /fglt/ so I shitpost here instead
you got btfo'd, just begone arch baby

>Arch doesn't have all the care and hard work that the devs of Gentoo have given it to their distro

examples?

OMG fnally, a Gentoo post, I love Gentoo I use it on all my computers, laptops, and servers! I think everyone should use it. INSTALL GENTOO! No, seriously! It's simple, super fast, and you learn UNIX.

The only thing BSD is above on the trash scale is actual trash. Like trash the local landfill threw out.

I have more important things to do.

Nah brah
>Devuan today; Devuan everyday

Maybe you forgot to chroot back in?