Why do so many people here use Linux?

It seems that everyone in Jow Forums uses Linux as their main OS but I don't know why? You can do more on Windows like gaming and if you want to customize Windows, you can install Rainmeter or Fences. I get that Linux is light weight but I don't see any other reason to use it.

Attached: Linux.png (1200x1414, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

telegraph.co.uk/education/educationpicturegalleries/11002595/University-degree-subjects-with-the-highest-dropout-rates.html?frame=2824912
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the same reason people mod their cars
it makes them feel cool like they're good at something by tinkering with shit

I have Windows on my desktop and Linux on my ThinkPad, simply because it's one of my hobbies. I have much more control with Linux and I like the tinkering

Can you elaborate on the "tinkering" aspect of Linux?

i also have win7 on desktop at my office, use linux on my thinkpad.

why? muh privacy.

Linux is more flexible and robust under the hood. Just because the candy toppings aren't there doesn't mean the core isn't well made. This can be seen when valve made L4D run faster on Linux than on windows. In addition open source development is better where a knowledgeable user can fix his own problems.

Attached: e68be4df46a11e75738dc0599fa834ec.jpg (681x962, 421K)

I'm a sysadmin for a bunch of Linux servers, and work on software in my free time. Linux is simply more practical.

Not everything works out of the box if you want a minimal installation which I find more fun than annoying. Linux has a lot of different ways to set up your desktop, which I have spend a lot of time with and rice it. May seem meaningless for many but I can't live without this

>Linux has a lot of different ways to set up your desktop
By looking at random screenshots online, I can see that but couldn't you get the same effect from downloading Rainmeter on Windows?

>muh privacy
Okay, I can see the benefits of this

Most don't
Only hobbist or sysassmin or people who related to these field are using it.

I can game on Linux and do all my work on it as well. Also been more stable than Windows 10 was before I switched, where forced updates caused bootloops or other random crap like audio drivers failing.

Rainmeter is not the same result, in any way. In Linux you can choose your Window Manager, Login manager, File Explorer, Icons, them and so on. Really everything is handpicked or pick a complete Desktop Environment like KDE and customize that. There are so many different ways of doing

rainmeter does not hold a candle to linux customization at all lol

I'm a CS student who aspires to work at the big shops that use FLOSS, not the glorified mom and pop operations that use MSFT products.

Okay, Rainmeter might not be as customizable as Linux but it has everything you need on it.

>everything YOU need
but what if I want LESS than what windows comes with by default?
there is way to install windows without explorer.exe and then choose my own desktop environment

Well, not for me.

I run Linux because it lets me browse the web and do spreadsheets without a fucking blue screen every hour, no forced updates, and it doesn't fucking delete my files when I do choose to update.

Windows is fucking worthless. No one cares about your gayemz, stupid child.

Attached: 1523051493237.gif (400x320, 1.48M)

I like to be able to operate my computer without using my mouse much. Linux lets me do that.

I like command line interfaces better than GUI's. They are have more power and are faster. Linux comes with the best CLI tools.

I like having a package manager to install any tool that I like instantly and without problems. Linux has the best package managers.

I like having a file system that isn't retarded. Again. Linux. Windows is only good for computer illiterates and people who need muh games

OSX is a close second but loses lots of points because the window manager is pretty stupid.

windows doesn't have awesomewm

Attached: 2018-10-16_04:03:28.png (1920x1080, 1.76M)

>off by two
damn

You can actually do less on Windows. The only thing you can do is play vidya gaymes.

>It seems that everyone in Jow Forums uses Linux as their main OS but I don't know why?
If you don't know why, have you considered that there's something you don't understand?

>You can do more on Windows like gaming
I don't care about games and the few games that I do care about run natively.

>if you want to customize Windows, you can install Rainmeter or Fences
It's not just about "customisation". It's about the standardised file system hierarchy and the $PATH, the useful, powerful *nix shells, the package manager, the window managers and the fact that the entire system itself can be a development environment. To a lesser extent, it's also about the filesystems.

>but I don't see any other reason to use it.
Because you have absolutely no experience with Linux or UNIX, and you don't know the pros and cons of it. It's not all about the "customisation", but even there Windows is lacking, and you cannot replace the window manager properly.

Absolute control.
Windows is holding you on a leash at everything, beginning with installation.
It packs in about everything you won't need - like ever. Fax/dial-up drivers? Yep, installed by default. This is just one of many examples and it adds up.
On Kinux you CAN (volunteerely) choose a path where you say "Ok i'll setup this and that"
In a oversimplified way you could say by choosing your very structure from the beginning (filesystem, choosing to put parts of the OS on different drives) you "create" your own unique OS setup, from a pletora of options.

There are guides everywhere online, but you have to search them up, instead of the OS constantly nagging you about everything that you COULD or SHOULD do.

in a nutshell, Linux gives you freedom which at first may feel overwhelming if you're nit used to it. Some misinterpret this as "work you have to do" instead of the fact that you "CAN do".

The truth:
this board is full of weebfagging losers who suck at everything in real life. Making the easiest things more complicated makes them feel accomplished for once in their miserable lifes.

nice projection retard
I'm studying to be a sysadmin

>No one cares about your gayemz, stupid child.
This is a perfect example. I can guarantee that the author of this post is a base-dwelling neckbeard who watches anime all day.
>I'm studying to be a sysadmin
>sysadmin
>studying
What kind of a meme study course is "sysadmin" lmfao. Obviously you were too dumb for CS or CE.

>too dumb for CS
lol
It's a customized degree pathway

there is no "sysadmin" pathway for CS. You are literally larping right now.

>gayming
>rainmeter or fences
what the fuck is this thread

Freedom.

>What kind of a meme study course is "sysadmin" lmfao. Obviously you were too dumb for CS or CE.
Want to know how everyone else knows that you *are* projecting and that (You) are the worthless NEET?

The fact that you don't understand that sysadmin certifications and qualifications exist.

I'm not

Attached: 1519670333229.png (597x103, 9K)

>The fact that you don't understand that sysadmin certifications and qualifications exist.
So don't say you're "studying" ... That usually applies to people who go to university you brainlet. CS and being a sysadmin are two completely different things.

>THERE IS ONLY ONE DEGREE, THE ONE THAT I HAVE

you've got the "big dumb"

Learn how to read
I'm not taking a computer science degree

>if you don't play bideo bames you watch weebshit
Lmao, nice projection, wintoddler. Stay salty, cunt. My OS works for simple day to day shit while yours blue screens repeatedly. Aahahahahahaha

Attached: 215695.png (852x1486, 541K)

>So don't say you're "studying" ... That usually applies to people who go to university you brainlet.
I'm not even the guy you were shitting on in the first place, but you're just wrong. You're a fucking moron if you believe passing the exams necessary doesn't require studying.

>CS and being a sysadmin are two completely different things.
Yes, they are, but there are exams to pass for sysadmin qualifications, and studying for an exam doesn't have to take place on a university you stupid fuck.

He doesn't have a degree. That's clear as day, given how much he's projecting his insecurities.

Nah, there are several real degrees like Computer Science, Computer Engineering, BIS etc.. but "sysadmin" isn't one lmfao.

The majority of Linux users are watching anime all day, lmfao.

Attached: firefox_2018-10-16_04-29-38.png (1179x799, 91K)

>You're a fucking moron if you believe passing the exams necessary doesn't require studying.
>sysadmin
>studying
Mathlet..

I never said I was "studying sysadmin" I said I was studying TO BE a sysadmin
the degree is called computer occupations tech.

Attached: 1523561940975.png (405x145, 11K)

>computer occupations tech
>degree
Oh god, that's worse than those nurses who say they have a degree in "nursery"

jesus christ dude
it's a degree
offered through a public university
get fucked wintard

>nursery
*nursing

Because Linux never "accidentally" deleted things from my home directory. Also, Linux can play games too, unless you're retarded.

Why do you care?

yea, just like gender studies and nursing.. at least be honest with yourself man. You're too dumb for CS, CE etc.. so you went for this meme shit lmfao.

I don't think it's possible to be too dumb for CS
I just want to be a sysadmin, and this is the degree my adviser and some IT profs said would be good to tailor to my specific needs

Jesus fucking christ, the projection is real.

Show us your degree, moron. I bet you don't have any. In fact, I bet you're shitposting about MPC-HC vs. mpv all day for your 1PB anime collection.

Attached: 1410160443660.jpg (292x257, 31K)

Fucking retarded troll fuck off.

>It seems that everyone in /v/ uses Windows as their main OS but I don't know why? You can do more on Linux like customize your computer the way you want it, and if you want to game, you can install Steam. I get that Windows is used by a lot of people but I don't see any other reason to use it.

No need for a virus scanner, when you have the whole thing running in RAM only, and no persistence. I'll come back to Windows, when they offer something like this.

>Show us your degree, moron
>posting stops
imagine my sock

>I don't think it's possible to be too dumb for CS
actually it is, maybe not in your shitty university. They obviously don't teach math over there. telegraph.co.uk/education/educationpicturegalleries/11002595/University-degree-subjects-with-the-highest-dropout-rates.html?frame=2824912

> I bet you're shitposting about MPC-HC vs. mpv
the fact that you're even dealing with this shows what you

M.Sc CS here.. Not only am I a Windows user, I'm a senior Java developer. I guess you're also gonna call me pajeet now, huh?

windows is buggy, and the software I use for my hobbies (programming, especially embedded stuff) is a pain in the ass to get working on windows, and half of them require a linux emulator like MSYS2 anyway.

Linux just werks. I have a windows installation on a nice NVMe drive, and KDE Neon on a cheap SATA SSD on the same machine (Ryzen 5 2600X, 16GB 3000MHz). Linux boots up twice as fast, is less prone to crashes and other weird behavior, and took less time to install initially (was pretty much plug and play, Win10 needed a bunch of fixing and settings changes in gpedit).

When it does fuck up, Linux's error messages are well documented and solutions for those problems are straightforward. In my experience, the same can't be said for Windows, where error codes on bluescreens lead to vague 1-sentence descriptions of the problem on some MS troubleshooting site, then there might be 1-2 ancient forum threads where a jaded MS support rep gives a half-assed, unhelpful answer to someone who had the same issue as you.

Linux noob here using xubuntu. Runs all my gaymes (or nearly all). You can not have yr data sold. Runs better and faser than windows. I can customize everything. I can run code in the terminal or make a script for myslef to save time. And thats just with xubuntu I cant imagine what gentoo would run like

>what you
*what you're doing all day. I'm using VLC btw.. I don't give a shit about your meme players.

>M.Sc CS here.. Not only am I a Windows user, I'm a senior Java developer. I guess you're also gonna call me pajeet now, huh?
Nice larp

Attached: 1328602125730.jpg (400x400, 32K)

>M.Sc CS here.. Not only am I a Windows user, I'm a senior Java developer. I guess you're also gonna call me pajeet now, huh?
Oooh Senior Java developer over here. See, no one cares. You're no better than a script kiddie.

>it's possible to be too dumb for CS
not for white people lmao
>don't teach math over there
lol
this

spotted the losers with meme degrees. enjoy being plebs instead of academics.

>CS isn't a meme degree

Attached: 1529149017810.jpg (1000x1000, 187K)

i don't want to spend money on windows 10 licenses for all my computers :^)

also i don't want my operating system to hold my hands and get in the way

>Oooh Senior Java developer over here. See, no one cares. You're no better than a script kiddie.

That's exactly what I've been talking about all time. People do something successfully, like getting a degree, work as developers and some base dwelling faggot who dropped out or becomes a "sysadmin" comes a long and tells him he's doing it wrong and should use Linux like a real "tech guy". Hence "You're gonna call me pajeet now"? I unironically dislike Java but it pays well and the reality is, its still widely used in enterprises. It's pathetic.

In Germany it isn't.

>IN GERMANY

Attached: 1531963565489.jpg (932x1024, 99K)

Muh privacy, muh FOSS, and knowing Linux can earn you nice cash with all the Red Hat servers in the professional world.

I never said you should "use linux like a real tech guy"
I just said that I'm using linux because it's going to be part of my job and I want to get familiar with it
you can use windows and be a *chuckles* java developer if that's your MO

Privacy and Security. There are a lot of other benefits but those are the most important to me.

Out of the box, linux is just way better, Ive never had huge panic kernels doing shit like making a fucking thumbdrive like I have in windows. No forced updates and shit just werks.

As a nurse, I am going to bet you have absolutely zero idea of what nurses do. Protip, the title is a misnomer. You'll appreciate my education when I know that you should never palpate a wilm's tumor because it could pop and spread, or when you code at 3am and the doctors are nowhere to be seen. Who do you think is going to be doing chest compressions and pushing your drugs? I can guarantee it wont be a doctor. Real life isn't Gray's Anatomy.

>I know math you brainlet!!!! IM SMARTER!!!!
>dont you know im a Senior Java developer!!!
All you are doing in this thread is putting people down while simultaneously mastrubating your ego. No one cares if you use windows. If you used Linux I wouldn’t think anything different of you. Please just stop posting because all you are doing is proving how much of an egotistical faggot you are.

Didn't see this before I replied, but really this sums it all up better.

>In Germany it isn't.
>""""""senior Java developer""""""
>implying you're employed if you're up this late
>GERMANY
>G*RMANY

Attached: 1393452155832.jpg (760x430, 181K)

>chest compressions and pushing your drugs?
so difficult.. you're cleaning after old people's shit.
>No one cares if you use windows.
Seems like people in here do and they'll accuse you of being a "gaymer" and shit. Don't tell me I'm the one that's egoistic.
I don't have to work today.

I never called you anything besides projecting
you are egotistic as fuck

>senior Java developer
congratulations, you've reached the top of the bottom of the barrel

>you're cleaning after old people's shit
What is a CNA?
I am calculating your dopamine drip, monitoring your cvp and pushing albumin for postop hemodynamic stability, vitals, chest tube drainage for signs of a hemothorax, reading your tele strip for impending signs of arrhythmias (in case I need to use your implanted temporary pacer), making sure you are perfusing, and about 100 other things... on several patients every shift. I also get paid 100k+ to do so so im not complaining. You can tell youre young and havent been in a hospital much. You'll see your doctor for 5 minutes a day if you're lucky. The rest of the time your life is in the hands of your nurse and their ability to recognize the signs you are going south, which they got from their shitty education.

windows is difficult and frustrating to use
only linux users will have any clue what i mean by this, though

>I don't have to work today.
No, that's not it. You don't *have* a job and you're not a senior Java developer either. If you were, you wouldn't be up at this time and you wouldn't feel the need to project NEET life and anime onto others.

You're just a pathetic moron. Stop larping

Everything you said in being done by machines.

>No that's not i
Wew, seems like you've got a crystal ball huh? Weebfagging idiot.
>you wouldn't be up at this time
And why is that? Because people who work get up at 6 o clock? First of all I go to work at 10, second of all my sleeping pattern has been fucked all my life. You're talking so much shit it's incredible.

how do we know you aren't larping lol
I posted screenshots of my college website

>Screenshot of my college
LOL.. What the fuck does that prove? I can make a Screenshot of the Harvard home page and claim I study there. I'm lying in my bed, my diploma is in my safe and it's full of personal information that I would have to remove first. Nice bait.
>how do we known you aren't larping
Who the fuck voluntarily admits that he's a Java dev on Jow Forums.. You can't make this shit up.

>Everything you said in being done by machines.
I often wonder if there are any trolls over the age of 15, because I assume everyone over that age has matured to the point that being a retard on the internet isnt fun anymore, but I am going to guess youre an exception since youre up past my 15 year old's bedtime.

larp confirmed
you could easily screenshot something from your uni

>Wew, seems like you've got a crystal ball huh? Weebfagging idiot.
HAHAHA, ironic you accuse ME of having the crystal ball given how you shitted up the thread calling everyone who didn't use the same fucking operating system as you weebs and losers.

>You're talking so much shit it's incredible.
Look yourself in the mirror. When you get called out on your bs you begin larping as a "senior Java developer" who somehow muddled through 5 years of university despite not even being able to maintain the most basic of sleep schedules.

>Who the fuck voluntarily admits that he's a Java dev on Jow Forums.. You can't make this shit up.
Someone who's desperate to LARP to justify his pathetic elitism for an entire thread.

Screenshot what? Anything can he faked with the inspector of your browser. A Screenshot doesn't prove anything . Your public university isn't doing a great job of teaching you "computer technology"

But loonix users are weebs and weebs are faggots who had a bad childhood.
>5 years of university
I literally never went there. I haven't even visited 10% of the classes. I don't need a "regular" sleep schedule and only few people actually have ones. Just proves you don't know shit about work and think it's like on television. I get 5 to 6 hours sleep every day which is plenty for me.

>I could easily fake it so I won't post any proof
just digging yourself in a hole here, user

Stop bullying the Java dev.
Clearly only a professional would spend hours arguing with college students about how he's so much better than them due to personal preference of OS

>But loonix users are weebs and weebs are faggots who had a bad childhood.
Here's the projection again. Just fucking stop kek

>lmao I aced 5 years of CS without even showing up bro
Just stop. Literally fucking no-one believes you.

This post is cancer.
(YOU) are cancer.

Who said I aced anything? I said I didn't visit the courses because I studied myself and with others. Most STEM students do that in Germany btw..

Linux plays games just fine though, well at least for strategy games. I don’t play any other genre anyway so it serves me just fine.

imagine holding onto a larp this desperately

I don't play games, since I'm not a child, and Windows is shit. Not only is it malware, but it's also just bad to use. No good Unix shells without running a compatibility layer, no good package manager, no good text editors, no good software in general. Software is so lacking on Windows is you don't want to jump through a thousand hoops to get it.

*by myself

>heheheeh using Jow Forums terms like larp I'm so cool
The worst part is that you consider this to be a larp. You must be in a really shitty situation.

>larping as a java dev for 2 hours straight
>on an anonymous imageboard
is it even possible to be more pathetic than this?

Attached: 1539276934255.png (675x487, 418K)

>I'm a senior Java developer.
Oh hey dude that's cool. I am a senior fingerpaint artist, so were kinda the same in that respect.

>You can do more on Windows like gaming
everyone uses computers but I don't know why because you can do more gaming on a playstation

>it's okay to accuse Windows users of being children and gamers but Loonixflags flip if you call them weebfags and base dwelling neckbeards

>No good text editor
Sublime, VSCode, Kate, vim, nano.. They all exist

>No good software in general
Elaborate