I have a friend who would like to start using GNU/Linux...

I have a friend who would like to start using GNU/Linux. My ramblings about privacy have scared him away from Windows (and consequently Ubuntu+Manjaro) as they promote non-free software from the get-go and are bound to do worse shit in the future in the name of 'user convinience' - (ubuntu amazon&telemetry, manjaro steam&msoffice).
I told him about the different types of releases and he is interested in rolling release. I'm a 2-year arch user and can help him if things break a bit but I don't want to be his personal tech support.
He plays a bit of games but for the most case he's just a tech normie whose biggest claim to privacy is he doesn't have a facebook and his biggest claim to tech skill is that he can maintain a windows computer without an anti-virus. He's not techy, but he's not dumb either. He knows how to read errors on his machine but he expects the error to tell him what is wrong so he can fix it / search for a solution.
He also doesn't want anything hell nerdy. He also seems really dead set on installing the budgie de - makes sense as its basically a windows-style desktop with a modern flat design (he hated KDE - told me it reminded him of windows vista).

So, what should I put him on anons? Antergos or Solus? Also he told me he doesn't want to be changing OS within the next 2 years. I've been on vanilla Arch for 2 years, but I know how to unbreak shit. I won't count on him being able to...

Attached: b8sZMwb.jpg (1439x1522, 832K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lutris.net/downloads/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Oh for fucks sake, read the fglt or the archive

>convince other people to seitch to linux
>he doesn't know shit about linux himself
what a retarded man

So basically Jow Forums in a nutshell?

Yes.

Fedora

>I don't want to be his personal tech support
This is why I always discourage people from using it unless I know they're smart enough to google their own problems. Tell him to use mint or some shit so he can roll back his system with timeshift whenever he fucks something up.

>doesn't know shit about linux
>been using arch for 2 years, installed it myself
>clued in about privacy and condemn non-free software
>installed and showed my friend 4 or 5 desktop environments so he could choose one
>asks what the best rolling distro would be for a friend who isn't as tech interested as me, asking about two distros that I have no experience with but can assume what they are like based on their features.
>ask for Jow Forums reccomendation
>somehow knows nothing about linux as a whole

HMMMMMMMMMM

>He also doesn't want something hell nerdy

tip

He is capable of googling his own problems (ddg to be exact). I just don't want him running to me because the arch forums / wiki gave him too much information for him to understand.

Don't give him anything arch based then. And just tell him to set up timeshift with daily snapshots and he'll be fine unless he fucks up so badly he can no longer boot.

God damn, go fuck yourself kid.
Duck duck go is for fucking conspiracy NPC Google hating morons that don't have two brain cells to rub together.

>linux kernel

Enjoy your backdoored botnet.

Xubuntu. Easy learning curves for noobs like me.

kill yourself, retarded tranny

Linux Mint Xfce
Xfce is the easiest and most convenient DE to use
Mint fixes everything wrong with Ubuntu, Mint Xfce fixes a lot of Xubuntu's flaws
>plays a bit of games
sudo apt install steam wine-stable wine32 playonlinux
lutris.net/downloads/ - you need wine and wine32 for this

>Antergos or Solus?
Antergos isn't for beginners.
Solus is an okay choice, but the lack of debian packages will be annoying.

eat shit and die

QubesOS

Debian with whatever DE. It literally contains 0 non free software unless you manually enable the non free repositories, has proven stability and the largest repository of binary packages so it's user friendly (as long as you can type sudo apt install)

>largest repo
thats because it splits up packages up the wazoo
its a meme

my favorite

>GNU/Linux
Linux

Attached: its_linux_1565.jpg (400x400, 88K)