Macbook

This was sitting in a box with a bunch of stuff I grabbed this weekend from auction.
I've never used a mac, can I like put linux or something on this and make it useful?

It first goes to this.

Attached: 01.jpg (2988x5312, 1.72M)

Other urls found in this thread:

macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/change-admin-password-mac-3535328/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Then it goes to this. If I reset it, it beeps. The loop continues.

Attached: 02.jpg (2988x5312, 2.7M)

blablabla give it back you know the drill

Oh! It worked this time. How do I find out what's in it? I've never used a mac.
Give it back to who? I bought it at the auction, it's mine now. Along with the rest of the shit in the lot.

Attached: 03.jpg (2988x5312, 2.66M)

give it back they can see the location of it reatard

He legally aquired it at an auction. I'd probs just sell it back to them but odds are they don't care enough if they let it get boxed

Again, give it back to who? The Auctioneer?
I got this, it took like 2 min to open this screen. Hardware should be performing better then that, so you figure something is broken or is mac os just shit?
I'l try and find more windows to open.

Attached: 04.jpg (2988x5312, 3.36M)

Give it back to the original owner who you stole this from, Jacquel Al'Mahmouudi

Put an SSD and 8 GB of ram on it. Sell it to an idiot. Make profit.

>Oh! It worked this time. How do I find out what's in it? I've never used a mac.
It's not that fucking difficult, retard. Just cd into the home folder and ls.

It's probably just got a lot of shitware running, turn that off in settings under users and accounts.

So I got this disk info thing open, but it says it's used 85gb and only 3 files? How do I find the rest of the files to delete them?

Attached: 05.jpg (1494x2656, 1.11M)

Shut it down, reboot it while holding CMD+R, that should get you to a internet recovery if it's semi recent.

But that's going to run OSX like ass. At that point, your best bet is a lightweight linux distro like Manjaro.

>Source: Use Arch on a 10 year old MacBook

How many users are there?

OP update mac OS its easier.

p.s. look on left of document youve got opened click tabs.

p.p.s look for nudes
p.p.p.s if find nudes post on /b/ link thread here
p.p.p.p.s download mac os on usb before install linux coz you can sell it for a penny or 2

So I went to the switch users screen and it seems there two, this one and "Default" I tried to log back into this one and it asked for a password.
So I just shut the computer down and restarted it. It did the error thing once then came back working the 2nd time.
I looked up the OS and that sayd 2011? I'd not figure that's "semi-recent". I plan to toss a linux distro on it, just wanted to see what was on it before wiping the drive.

I found this list, is this what you mean? Doesn't seem like much on it. Only thing below TextEdit are time machine and

I don't really want to use mac os. I'd rather anything else. Also look left of which document?

Attached: 06.jpg (1490x2666, 710K)

If you want access to the other account just start start up in single user mode and follow this guide. macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/change-admin-password-mac-3535328/
>I found this list, is this what you mean? Doesn't seem like much on it. Only thing below TextEdit are time machine and
No, in settings go to users and groups and see what the login items are.

Fuck it, it's too late for this shit. I don't want to learn an entire OS just to snoop. I'm just gonna reformat the drive and install linux.
Thing has an ethernet port, only reason why I'm interested in it at all.

If you're familiar with GNU you can use Mac OS.

MacOS is basically linux with proprietary shits.

How about you open the terminal and use it like Linux then? Fucking hell are you retarded

From those specs, it looks like probably a 2008 or 2009 Macbook Pro, which someone has swapped out one of the original 1gb RAM modules with a 2gb one.

If it has the Internet Recovery firmware installed, I forget which version it was added, you can press Command-Shift-R at boot to install the highest version of MacOS it supports, but with 3gb of mismatched ram and an ancient Core 2 Duo, it's going to perform like shit.

>MacOS is basically linux with proprietary shits.

MacOS is Unix.

>MacOS is basically linux
hahahahaha

What he means is that you can use all the Unix commands that you would in GNU.

while that's true, it doesn't make his opinion any less laughable

do sudo rm -rf /

> can I like put linux or something on this and make it useful?
Since there's a EFI bootloader, you can.

OS X is actually Linux-based so you already have Linux :)

os-x is UNIX based.

this is perfectly usable. My first step would be to replace the HDD with an SSD. After that, I'd decide between macOS or elementaryOS. If you share with us the exact model we can help you with that decision.

Mac OS does not use Linux.

Why Elementary? It is just another Debian based distro that doesn't change much.

haha losers just look at Terminal.app and you will see it's CLEARLY Linux-based. All the Linux commands like echo, cd, and ls are there

xD

If you're willing to invest up to $100 into it you can you turn it into pretty usable daily machine (assuming your day doesn't consist of playing games). What I recommend is the following
1) add an SSD ($40ish)
2) replace the 1gb ram stick for a 4gb 1066mhz ($20)
3) install coconut battery app and check battery health. If it's quite low, replace it for something like $40-50.

After you've done this update the os to the latest version. It may run a bit hot, so install Mac fans control and set a lower target temp. Fanny widget is also useful. If macos isn't for you, dualboot with Linux. It's quite easy to repair it and it should work as good as any thinkpad its age, only with a better screen and trackpad.

t. own and use a 2009 plastic macbook.

Unibody macbooks are old and have extremely bad displays. I have a 2012 Core i7 2.9Ghz w/ 16GB DDR3-1866 and dual SSDs here and while it still performs admirably, the screen fucking kills the deal. To top it all off, it doesn't support more than 1 external display.

They're not worth bothering with anymore. They've become horribly obsolete at this point, even the 2012 ones.

Hold down "D" on the keyboard while booting up and see if the diagnostics tool gives you an error. If there are no errors, hold down command + "R" on the keyboard while booting and install a new copy of macOS. Do try macOS out if you want, since it's the big reason why people buy Macs and also a huge reason why Hackintoshes exist. macOS pretty much offers everything a GNU/Linux distro offers but with a decent looking DE and a lot of professional software such as Adobe Photoshop CC. If you don't want to, that's fine either, I don't really care, just look up a tutorial how to install Linux on it. Just keep the thread up to date, you fag.