What's the appeal? People pay up their ass for branded computers or hardware to be able to run it...

What's the appeal? People pay up their ass for branded computers or hardware to be able to run it. What's so good about it?
Not even falseflagging or baiting here, I'm just genuinely curious.

Attached: MacOS_original_logo.png (200x183, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DB6UWGeNePk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

1. it's an OS!!!!!!!!!!!
2. it's UNIX!!!!
3. it just werks!!!!!!!!
4. macOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POSIX and comfy interface. Thats it.

This plus the driver support and battery life. If I could have gotten all that via another laptop + Linux, I would have chosen that. But graphics drivers are still a pain in the ass for mobile chips, especially open drivers still drain the battery more than the respective one's for winshit or fagos.

Top tier comfy UI alone is enough for something you have to interact with potentially everyday.

OSX is super polished and really does Just Work(tm). I dread having to upgrade though since all the current Macbooks are shit, besides being stupid expensive.

I've always been able to set up dev environments in no time at all compared to windows.

Topkek

Attached: npcos.png (1177x1024, 42K)

It's Unix with support for popular proprietary software like Adobe and Microsoft software. I mean, if you want to use Adobe shit and all that you should run Mac OS. The only OS that I think everyone should avoid at all costs is Windows.

Everything that ups say + you don't pay for them, company you work for does

what about windows 7 ?

Attached: scrt.png (1366x768, 429K)

I'm referring to all versions of Windows, not just one in particular. The major problems with Windows are applicable to every release.

>The major problems with Windows are applicable to every release.
Could you name a few ?

Lack of software compatibility, universal backdoors from Microsoft, no good way to install software, bad UI, no proper shells. To name a few.

BSD is more "Unix" than whatever frankenstein abomination is under MacOS' hood.

fucking kek user

>bad UI
wrong for 7
>no proper shell
correct but irrelevant for most end-user cases
>no good way to install software
correct, repoes are what I miss the most when I'm on windows
>universal backdoors
correct
>lack of software compatibility
wut ?

>Lack of software compatibility
please explain

>universal backdoors from Microsoft
I know windows 10 is botnet af but what about 7/xp?

>no good way to install software, no proper shells
yeah thats certainly true

nobody on Jow Forums paid for macOS, I guarantee you that, they just installed it on their thinkpads for bragging rights

>wrong for 7
It's also very bad in 7.
>correct but irrelevant for most end-user cases
No, it isn't irrelevant.
>wut
Can't use Unix software.
>please explain
See above.
>I know windows 10 is botnet af but what about 7/xp?
Yes, there are backdoors in XP and 7

It literally unironically just works for 5-10 years unlike shitty ass Windows or some virgin distro. Better interface, battery life, hardware blah blah. Only poorfags hate

> Iknow windows 10 is botnet af but what about 7/xp

And just like that, his posts were filtered.

youtube.com/watch?v=DB6UWGeNePk

This Google loving Arab gets shilled here too much.

consistency.
color coding files.
airdrop.
working in teams of people where a 2009 mac can communicate effortlessly with a 2018 machine.
spotlight.
generally more uniform look of applications.
better font rendering.

using windows since 3.11, loved it till 7.

It's nice how Apple products can network together so seamlessly. A PowerBook from 1999 can still easily network with other Macs and Airports in 2018, as long as it runs OS X.

so BSD is more BSD then FreeBSD running the mach kernel.. ok

I like the OS enough to run a Hackintosh. It's pretty comfy.

Attached: 1535408921888.jpg (1500x968, 467K)

what version ?

Solus runs fine on my Macbook Pro 2015

>not even falseflagging
Kek, sure, it's just a huge coincidence that we have this self-replying Apple shill thread nearly every day.

Attached: macshills.jpg (4500x3000, 1.6M)

insulting

Attached: feelos.png (1177x1024, 106K)

why would I pull a hackintosh and have all my shit half working when I can just install a linux distribution?

Generally works well. Very clean and cohesive OS. Official support for every official hardware configuration.
I'm sure Louis Rossman and his cult of ignorant Samsung circlejerkers will protest but generally the machines are (and especially were) better built than contemporary consumer-grade Windows machines. I'm not saying that the iBooks were universally better than the IBM Thinkpads; I'm saying that they are better than the HP shit that the normies would be buying otherwise.
Almost everything that people complained about in OS X is now being imitated, poorly, by MS, Google, Samsung, Sony, and others. I'm mainly talking about the walled-garden platforms, the cross-device integration, the interfaces that are designed for intuitive daily driving but are unintuitive to power users, the bloat, and the overly fancy shit. When it was Tiger vs. XP, these critiques made sense, but the success of Apple has ensured that the rest of the industry will try to imitate. In my experience, Apple has a ten-year head start, and doing things on macOS nowadays is less of a pain in the ass than it is on Windows 10.

>mfw i thought the new feature to cleanup your desktop was going to be an ai file organizer

business model
they sell computers, and lock down the services to their computers to ensure computer sales. other companies like microsoft offer free multiplatform services like skype in exchange for what? well, data - obviously

>What's the appeal?
At this point it's just nostalgia for when it was good.

Attached: tiger.png (1024x768, 150K)

I own 3 macbooks

This. Macs had their place back when the only alternative for customers was Windows XP, and Linux was a completely unusable piece of shit not even worth mentioning.
Nowadays though, Ubuntu and its knockoffs are as easy to use as Mac, and I'd say even more safe. Plus it's considerably cheaper to get a cheap laptop and put Ubuntu on it, and not exactly difficult.
So unless you're a homosexual, there's no real reason to use a Mac.

MacOS 6 had all the GUI features of Windows 95. Some people didn't want to wait.

It's easy to use and looks good for many people.

> im very homosexual

Attached: 1533529824421.jpg (770x602, 44K)

>Ubuntu and its knockoffs are as easy to use as Mac, and I'd say even more safe
Basically, this, though I think there are some valid reasons left to use a Mac. First, if you need proprietary software that runs better on MacOS than on Linux/Wine. Second, if you're raking in the cash working on MacOS or iOS software. Macs are one of the few places where you can still make a living off old school desktop shareware. It is not what I do, but I appreciate it being an option. Swift seems like an all right programming language, too. I'd use it if Linux support wasn't second class.

>People pay up their ass for branded computers or hardware to be able to run it.
Only retarded faggots do this. Apple hardware is trash.
>What's so good about it?
The desktop is pretty nice and it's easy to use. As other have mentioned it has pretty decent POSIX compatibility and can run all the *nix tools I need.

MacOS is not Unix. It's a Unix clone, sort of like Linux. The only difference is the POSIX certification and smaller community around the Darwin base OS.

This.

Yep. It runs on any off the shelf hardware with minimal hassle. Seethe harder, iToddler.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 3.51.17 PM.png (682x502, 85K)

True. I have a macbook but haven't paid for it.

t. Jamal

Soup Jow Forums, I'm an unironic paid Apple shill.
You might recognize our agency's threads like:
>y dont u own a mac r u poor? lol
>post your apple products
>where my (apple product) bros at?
>WHO HYPE FOR (apple product/event)?
>why does (celebrity or notable people) use (apple product) i'm confused, pls shill for me!
>lol green bubbles
>"Perfection" (apple product photo)
>macbooks are overpriced, ok show me a laptop that... pasta
>geekbench circlejerking threads
>look! this pro-apple blog says good things about (apple product)! please click it!
>it just werks (apple product photo)
>i used to use non-apple products but then i tired apple products and never looked back!
>rotate threads and topics regularly to avoid being caught by mods as "flooding"

We focus primarily on tech blogs and the like with hacked Disqus accounts that we can buy for like 1000/$50 on the dark web to get a real post history and identity. Me, I got Jow Forums with a few other guys.

>pretend to need to (X), recommend Apple products to ourselves
>enter non-Apple thread and convince people to consider Apple
>get shekels

>make thread but it devolves into Apple getting shit on
>no shekels

When we can't get any good shilling going, we'll just crap on the competition, THEN try to slip in a suggestion to try Apple products.
>OMG i own this HP/MS/Samsung/LG product and it SUCKS
>coshill comes in the thread, plugs (Apple product)
>lololol loonix has no gaymes, windows master race!
>lololol wangblows sux, linux master race!
>step in after 100 posts and make up story about how great (Apple product) is

Mostly a side job and I make $100 every month or so for no effort, but I'm quitting because they bullshitted me once on a check, plus I'm graduating so now I'm outing them.
OP is my old coworker

Attached: 1531453148515.png (1024x1024, 508K)

Company bought everyone macbook pros.

I think it has to do with the name. Like Beats, MacOS and Apple as a whole has this aura surrounding it that conveys the users as being “wealthy” or “in style.” Normies don’t give a shit about functionality or usability, but rather how they look and their ability to fit in.

POO IN LOO

Attached: 1522338654439.jpg (643x960, 256K)

>UNIX
>nice UI and backup tools
>allows to develop for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS, Android - the *only* OS that allows that
>pro software: almost all pro Windows software, plus exclusives (Logic, Final Cut, Affinity, iWork suite, etc.) and dev tools (Xcode)
>wifi, trackpad, webcam, audio, gpu acceleration *always* works
>every printer, scanner, mouse, joystick or any obscure peripheral is plug and play

Attached: apple_unix_ad-s.jpg (1317x801, 204K)

>paying for overpriced preset garbage that you can't take apart
>not just building your own pc & dual booting a hacktinosh with either linux or windows
It's the patrician way. Best of both worlds

Attached: 1539646923222.jpg (2314x1302, 39K)

>fagintosh

Enjoy your ugly OS
Macs are the most beautiful and aesthetic.

Attached: navi.jpg (449x374, 19K)

Enjoy your designated shitting street.
Toilets are the most beautiful and aesthetic.

Attached: 1536058176468.jpg (622x767, 204K)

nice photoshop, you really showed me.
I bet you're a poor linuxfag

Attached: comfy.jpg (620x414, 64K)

>t. SEETHING street shitter

Attached: 1523755093465.png (813x1402, 369K)

First time I tried it I pressed enter to open a document. Can't take it seriously ever since.

OS X is shit.
System 6 is based.

Attached: Macintosh_system_6.0.8.png (386x258, 47K)

cmd+up/down arrow makes much more sense

It really is that it just werks
everything is just so clean and organised
apps are almost all self contained, library files get installed in default locations
windows literally makes me sick
in the end it's like having linux but a linux that just werks and has better support from mainstream pro apps

the hardware now really is abysmal though, my 2012 laptop is still running decently for my needs, but if I had to update now I would probably try seeing if I can put together a hackintosh laptop

Brain dead sheeple.

Attached: 1515751984584.jpg (989x1005, 190K)

Trackpad. That's literally the only reason I buy apple hardware.
>use mouse lmao
No.
>use nipple lmao
FUCK no.

werx
usally prog for it
drivers worx

do you know how long you have to spend to get the drivers for everything in linux just to get a black screen of death when u put your nvidia drivers in for the 100th time

also have to down load an instal drivers for windowz

fick me hacintosh does not install then breaks anyway

>MacOS is not Unix. It's a Unix clone
No, it is literally just FreeBSD with added software. Not a clone.

You wouldn't believe how many twinks I pick up at starbucks just by using my macbook pro.

Been a while since a post actually made me laugh out loud.

Attached: fucknlol.jpg (331x334, 28K)

Tried that once. It was unstable as hell.
You have to pick exactly the right hardware or you get a problem like the whole OS freezing when you plug in anything USB.

>most beautiful and aesthetic

Attached: Mac-Pro-trash-can.png (500x330, 66K)

if your definition of unix is so strict macos doesnt qualify there hasnt been a "real" unix in decades

That image is of a time long past.

What do you think has changed? OS 10 has remained pretty much the same throughout its life.

They moved from PowerPC. Steve Jobs died. Focus shifted to iOS rather than desktop. Quality seems to have fallen.

Have an old Apple ad.

Attached: Macintosh Centris 660av Ad.jpg (1968x1334, 1.2M)

I switched from windows because the interface is easier for me. Also, it's almost POSIX compliant.

proof?

It's close enough to Gnome 3 and it has decent support from proprietary business software. Not to mention the hardware being a joy to use, look at, and feel.

And the trackpad gestures are fabulous. Swiping up to activate Mission Control is on par with hitting the Windows key to bring up the Activities Overview.

>They moved from PowerPC
Ok, but that has nothing to do with whether Mac OS is Unix or not.

/thread
mactoddlers are subhuman trash

Wrong. It's a clone of Mach with BSD extensions.

Solaris exists. That's real Unix. Same with AIX and HP-UX. In fact, Solaris was open sourced at one point and there are still forks of it maintained to this day in the form of illumos and distros based on it like Tribblix and OpenIndiana. Those are Unix. Not macOS.

>It's a clone of Mach with BSD extensions
If you really think that is an adequate way to describe it I pity you.

It's a formally certified UNIX system with lots of support for proprietary software. Not that I would ever use it by choice, but if what your running isn't supported Solaris, BSD, and Linux, I'll endure.

But fuck everyone who says it's comfy. The window tiling agent never fucking works and GUI navigation is clunky. Plus really shitty battery for a fully charged mac-book pro in 2016 to die in about 4 hours just doing basic text editing.

Unlike you user I have a job and I value my time. Spending 1488 hours troubleshooting arch every time pacman gets an update

A superiority complex and status symbol, like giving a stupid person something shiny.

>What's the appeal?
Cuckolding is a fetish.

Attached: 1530826605859.jpg (960x1136, 298K)

T. Poorfag and brainlet

COMPUTING IN THY NEW CENTURY
THY APPLE CORE 2
IT
JUST
WORKS

Why do you keep that image saved to your PC?
Are you a cuckold?

>t. SEETHING proud cuck

Attached: 1528117612325.jpg (1200x1200, 374K)

>lack of software compatibility
huh?

Nope, just not a mactoddler from the apple cult.

>SEETHING

that's true, although the same is true for windows and linux. i don't use os x on my desktop but i use it for my home server because it will play nice with anything

True enough, but it still makes me sad.

Every homOSeX thread ever:
>brainlets claiming it's hard to make a hackintosh
>the pajeet meme
>captain obvious comes and posts "it's not unix"
>underaged Luke fans come in and post reddit-tier nu-Jow Forums and/or nu-Jow Forums memes for the nth time
>some guy comes in and posts that same copypasta again
>someone posts pictures of macbooks stacked on top of each other with shit that no one cares about written on them that some autist who either works for a repair shop or has way too many macfag friends wrote to appeal to Jow Forums
repeat ad-infinitum

Attached: 7wI6U.jpg (707x575, 80K)

>"it's not unix"
Why do they say this when it is certified Unix?

>he dosent own a mac

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 10.41.10 PM.png (1920x994, 2.12M)

>he smokes cock

Attached: 1522131003689.jpg (1280x720, 208K)

Just so it's out there, Apple comp repair bills all the time, I've had various MacBooks/MacBook Pros fixed for free by Apple over the last 12 years.

My 2015 MacBook Pro's trackpad stopped working so I took it to Apple and it had a new screen + top case. There was some minor de-lamination on the screen and that meant the repair was done for free.

Similar thing happened with my old 2008 MacBook Pro, had an issue with the lid sensor, after trying to re-pair it and failing twice they upgraded me to a newer model.

This idea of losing loads of money on broken Apple gear doesn't match the reality of being a much cared for Apple user.