Want a software job? just write us a package manager in two hours

scribd.com/document/391013737/System-Dependencies

blind leading the blind on new startup hiring in silicon valley.

write us a package manager in two hours, but also please be sure to focus on code quality and writing good documentation

couldn't make this shit up if i wanted to. i'm straight up refusing to ever perform a take home coding challenge again for anyone.

Attached: taylor-swift.jpg (3024x4032, 1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/u5g8nyns
jsbin.com/kamaruyuta/edit?js,console
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-09-18 at 11.35.18 AM.png (1612x914, 2.05M)

>implying this is hard

Attached: gradmeme.png (402x443, 72K)

They are not asking you to implement a package manager.
They're asking you to implement a super simple package manager simulator, and they explicitly said they don't expect an amazing code quality.
I could code that in C in probably 1 and a half hours, 30 minutes for a dynamic language I was familiar with.

Yeah I'm not sure why some companies do "take home" shit. Any half way decent hire doesn't have time for your shit. Seems like its just a great way to self select bad candidates who are desperate to work for free.

That said, it looks like this is just implementing some dependency graph of some sorts. This is a textbook interview question any person with half a brain that studied coding interviews will crush. Seems like a complete waste of time to ask this, let alone scare out 90% of applications who don't want their time wasted on trivial shit.

This isn't that hard to be honest.

if I knew for sure i had a fair chance to get a job if I solved this, I would do it.

Seems simple enough after reading it. If it doesn't need to be C or something a skeleton could be written in javascript or java in 30 minutes. If you need to actually do I/O calls and system commands and check on statuses and actually do the installing and removing that would take me a lot longer but the rest is essentially just some hashmaps

imaging how shit working there would be if this is the goddamn interview question. I made the mistake of doing one of these but it was a web scraper. Felt like I was doing someone's job and it took me like 4 hours. Never again

I had to do a challenge like that to get my job. It was worth it though.

Can't you just write some scripts to fetch a package from the Debian repo of http?

Some company sent me this and the project solution they sent was all fucked up with the imports and shit. They don't actually expect me to go through and debug it myself do they?

There is no requirement for the package manager to work. It's just an exercise in data structures and algorithms. True, this isn't a question someone who didn't finish near the top of their class would be able to understand. But use this as a learning exercise. Forget 6Sigma, follow this tried and true 2Sigma:

1. Accept the suck
2. Proceed not to suck

Ok, do it. I'm expecting a result in 2 hours user.

Tried to do it but couldn't manage to finish in two hours.

I took at face value the problem description but there are some expecifit details that can only be infered by evaluating the input data closely.
For example, dependencies have to be installed alphabetically, they also have to be removed in a specific order that I couldn't figure out.

It's a nice little excersice, but I felt they were expecting a very expecifit solution instead of just a solution that works.

requirements seem pretty straight forward

Why does that make my peepee hard

> True, this isn't a question someone who didn't finish near the top of their class would be able to understand.

What??
It doesn't seem that complicated

Attached: XiAnGJ3y_400x400.jpg (400x400, 26K)

as others said, they just want a simulator, no packages or programs are being installed

you literally just handle different lists i.e. dependencies, installed packages and perform checks on these lists, either recursively or by building up a stack to process (remove, install)

Here is a simple implementation in Perl.

pastebin.com/u5g8nyns

Took me 30 minutes.

This is a very simple problem. Pic related took me less than 30 minutes. Two hours is plenty of time to clean and document it.
user, you should reconsider your career choices.

Attached: pajeetmanager.png (1000x2176, 243K)

All companies with their heads up their ass are the same
They expect you to work for free, they wouldnt be succesful using other method

t. Rajeesh

Fuck you

>i'm straight up refusing to ever perform a take home coding challenge again for anyone.
That's because you're so low-skilled that to you even the most basic of assessments is an insurmountable challenge.

Attached: Donald-Trump-smug-FB.jpg (750x393, 29K)

hey look, it's shit.

Attached: newtest.png (1795x7345, 456K)

I read that as people who just sat through their CS degree and didn't try won't get it but smart kids who tried should get it.

>True, this isn't a question someone who didn't finish near the top of their class would be able to understand
the absolute fucking state of Jow Forums
anyone in the first year of CS uni should be able to implement this

you people are completely useless i swear

Attached: npc.jpg (1826x1437, 505K)

> he thought money comes automatically after a degree

Attached: file.png (600x449, 334K)

jsbin.com/kamaruyuta/edit?js,console

no matter how I try, i couldn't manage to get the removing order right, otherwise it works as intended.

this took me well over 2 hours.

how would they even verify you did this in 2 hours
also OP where did you find this, I could use some practice

Nobody commented this. It's okay from what I can read.

Just start up a tech company and do the same thing. Get people to write your code for you for free as a 'interview exercise'.

This doesn't look that difficult, in 2 hours you'll have to work fast but I think its definitiely possible to fulfill these few reqs

>most people do not finish in that time, so please don't feelstressed if you're not getting through it all

At least read the assignment.

This is not hard at all. You could store everything in a JSON file and not have to manually parse it.

You failed to assignment already OP. They want to see if you can keep your head cool, and focus on their requirements, instead of getting lost in your self-doubt.

That's the test for the VP role...

congrats goyem, we've decided to offer you a VERY GENEROUS starting package of 90k/yr + 0.0001% equity. we can introduce you to a VERY HIP AND LUXURIOUS dumpster in the tenderloin to sleep in

there's some VC company in SF that is pushing this strat. i talked to one 'startup' with nontech assclowns running this scam, told them to get fucked

Nah
I've better things to do with my time