RADAR

I was thinking about how cool it would be to have a working radar screen beside my desk - like a functional radar that will actually detect nearby vehicles (not just a decorative gimmick but the real thing). Any pointers for setting this up?

Attached: pol.jpg (4032x3024, 2M)

Other urls found in this thread:

fcc.gov/general/amateur-radio-service-enforcement-actions
parallax.com/product/32213
rtl-sdr.com/building-a-passive-radar-system-with-an-rtl-sdr/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I think the rasp pi has a radar module. Programming to identify vehicles is the hard part, but maybe someone wrote a python library for that

It's illegal

radar detectors are illegal, not radars
and only in the bootlicking countries / states

having said that, a lidar may be a better choice and you still get the cool black screen with green dots

You're underqualified for this.

I don’t know much but you’ll need a microwave dish antenna, a power supply and an interface device.

No you are wrong. Radar detectors are legal in every US state except Virginia. Radar transmission is very much illegal if you do not have the proper licenses. You cannot get a license for police radar bands. At all. You can apply, but they never grant them to civilians just so they can "play around with radar." FCC Part 90. They catch you they will hit you with $10k+ fines and jail time.

In addition police radar operates at microwave frequencies 20-30GHz range and at those speeds things get very complicated. Throw any low frequency electronics theory you know out the window, it does not apply here and forget about breadboarding your projects too. Oh and get luck getting those negative resistance diodes or GAsFETs plus the right size waveguides you'll need for the LO. You will not be able to do this project. Just give up and do something simpler like making an LED blink or something.

Attached: IMG_20161030_234451.jpg (1944x2592, 1.75M)

>scared of the big bad FCC
lmfao, fuck the opps I've been operating an unlicensed radio station out of my backyard for almost 5 years from now and those faggots won't ever try shit

> except Virginia
kek

You are very very dumb.
My guess is that you live in butt fuck nowhere, because if you didn't you would realize that FCC actually contracts out ISP to search noise in and out of their coax systems.
20ghz like the another user mentioned is very high up there when it comes to frequencies and is going to stick out like a sore thumb, and no travel very farm without some very expensive equipment.
rather fucking around with radar, signal triangulation is a way better and more viable project for you to work with. You don't even have to generate any of your own signals.

You just got lucky and haven't interfered with anyone by sheer chance. Since you think you're untouchable why don't you tell me what state and county you're transmitting in? Let's see if you end up on their shit list in a month or two?

fcc.gov/general/amateur-radio-service-enforcement-actions

>fcc.gov/general/amateur-radio-service-enforcement-actions

Just looked at the link, Dang what has the us come to

Attached: 4af78332-7f98-4661-993c-c717f916d8c3.gif (500x375, 249K)

>tfw no ATC tower mounted on my roof

Shoot Elon Musk a Tweet to this thread

Pondera County, Montana.

Frequency and wattage?

I'll make sure to submit a tip. Thanks for your cooperation.

you don't need to go so high. you could do radar on 2.4 and 5.7 unlicensed bands, it would just be a very complex project that OP wouldn't be able to achieve

Long ago I saw a videos and shit of amateur groups making an imaging radar out of relatively accessible parts. It's possible.

It doesn't have to be 20-30GHz, does it? You can do pretty much whatever you want on 2.4GHz.

>He doesn't have an antenna on his roof connected to an RTLSDR connected to an RPi listening to ATC and running 1090dump to map planes.
hah what a pleb

Do you like being able to you your wifi in your own home? Do you cable internet, because without FCC enforcing those rules that shit would literally never work.
I cannot count the number of dunderfucks that complains about radio regulations with no idea how they actually work.
Honestly the less analog clutter in the airwaves then better, as much as I prefer it, if we move towards SDR and digital bands we might able to actually broadcast shit without fucking everything up.

Passive Radar, its the whatever SDR tinker uses these days.

>It doesn't have to be 20-30GHz
No, not technically. It's mainly that high to keep the antenna size compact.

>You can do pretty much whatever you want on 2.4GHz
*Yes but only up to a maximum output power of 1W. Transmitting at a higher power than that would be illegal.

Can't even answer a simple question. Why larp about such a thing?

4 watts

Building your own radar isn't necessarily illegal if you don't have a license, you just need to observe the Part 15 regulations on how strong of a signal you can legally radiate. With those limits though, you'd be better off tracking your cats around your house or something else that involves much shorter ranges. There are already off the shelf options for hobbyists that fall under Part 15 sold as X band motion sensors, but they only have a range of about 30 feet when not obstructed by walls. Example:
parallax.com/product/32213

If you do really want higher power though, you could always go with a passive radar solution like what's described here:
rtl-sdr.com/building-a-passive-radar-system-with-an-rtl-sdr/

In the early 2000's every Linux distro came with a screensaver that look like a radar screen.
It pinged the local networked an displaed the replying machines a dots on that screen. pretty cool.

Holy fuck what I need this

Still part of xscreensaver...

was just gonna suggest passive sdr. good luck with that.

you can build a passive radar with some sdr's

i think you need 4 of them, so about 80 bucks of rtlsdr's

glad someone else posted it.

Radar itself is illegal in most cases.
Not to mention painting airplanes in general will get you LEO knocking real quick on your door.

Best option is to go with passive radar

Just use an unlicensed band like the one wifi uses. Totally legal as long as it less than 1 watt. Or better yet just use wifi itself for radar. If you gotta NIC that supports CSI at a high rate you can do quite a bit. You can also fuck around with X band motion detectors, but you can accidentally do illegal stuff with them. Also they're shit. You can hook an amplifer with fuck huge amplification to the output and read the output with an audio jack, do signal processing on it and you have a doppler radar. There's a spec sheet out there on how to make a pulsed radar that can do ranging and shit

wifi is an unlicensed band, the FCC doesn't enforce shit there

Amplifier design for millimeter wave applications is non-trivial and way above amateur level. It's not as simple as throw an LM358 and some resistors in the path of the signal. You need expensive hard to find GaAs transistors that have sufficient gain in the frequency range you want. In addition layout is critical. With no RF and microwave circuit design and engineering background and experience OP probably won't get an amplifier like this to work at all.

Attached: rf.png (2076x1338, 1.63M)

Yes. Go to rtl.sdr.com and read up.

That's possibly the most retarded image I have ever seen