/hsg/ - Home server general

/hsg/ - Home server general

>no /hsg/ for 6 days edition

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat

Attached: 1529463469307.jpg (550x367, 116K)

Other urls found in this thread:

framatube.org
framatube.org/videos/watch/9c9de5e8-0a1e-484a-b099-e80766180a6d
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc7601-2p&num=1
techcrunch.com/2018/10/16/mongodb-switches-up-its-open-source-license/
peertube.duckdns.org/videos/watch/d85fb70c-e573-482e-afbe-535c3fd88f74
github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md#enterprise
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Officially the deadest general on Jow Forums?

Attached: 1535483705837.gif (280x280, 799K)

Nope, is just night over here.

gud gif

This kind of thread is where people try ideas for servers, so I recently found a p2p youtube called peertube and been perusing their instance framatube.org
Would you guys an instance or a node there?

p2p/decentralized stuff never scales

Wrong framatube.org/videos/watch/9c9de5e8-0a1e-484a-b099-e80766180a6d

What he meant to say is, this project will be dead in 8 months.

I'm willing to bet a dollar he's right

There are like 3 projects doing the same for some time, quit sucking google's tits.

>Updated pasta
Cool, let me add some news.

AMD Dual EPYC 7601 Benchmarks Ubuntu 18.10 Server
>phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-epyc7601-2p&num=1

MongoDB switches up its open-source license
>techcrunch.com/2018/10/16/mongodb-switches-up-its-open-source-license/

>sucking google's tits
tf?

Guarantee it'll be dead in under a year, just like all those other decentralised projects.

I like the idea, we're not there yet though.

comfy, thanks

Doesn't look dead to me peertube.duckdns.org/videos/watch/d85fb70c-e573-482e-afbe-535c3fd88f74

>IN A YEAR

Fucking hell user, I think we know who's sucking tits here. Go shill it elsewhere, ffs.

Lets see, what server project do YOU have? Mr. "totally not Google telemarketer".

>need to be a chef to say the food tastes like shit
Never even mentioned google once.

pls stop frothing at the mouth.

bump for the dog’s sake
also, building raspberrypi zerow Kubernetes cluster

>still no server project
I have running a server, been lurking these thread because of this.

YOU, are a fucking intruder who has NOTHING to do with this thread. You are just lurking here to defend fucking Google. FUCK OFF.

I finally found and excuse to mess around with Wireguard when it will be added to next Kernels.

hahahah, being this mad.

Oh, you run a server? wow, so smart.
I never knew this was a dick measuring contest. Here's my "server" user. enjoy :3

Attached: 1519841474251.jpg (2160x2250, 773K)

How do I go about getting experience and practice with esxi, vcentre and vsphere in a home environment?

What can I do with the free license?

The fuck is that? BTFO

what's the big benefit over openvpn apart from being less bloat. Or is that it?

>The fuck is that?
A server.

The fuck are you running in that? Is it working at least? The fuck are you on?

It is supposed to handle that kind of operation on a way different way. I didn't search it up for a long time, but I do recall Linus itself saying OpenVPN was a clusterfuck.

>DNS
>web server
>FTP server
>irc server
>deluge
>XLNA streaming

>Is it working at least?
Does it fucking look like it is?

just install the free version and play around with it, they only lock out high end features like HA and clustering.

read the licensing page

do you actually use the pi zero for that or just the normal pi?

Are you saying you are running those right now on that thing you showed in the picture?

When I plug it in to power it will be running those services.

ZERO W

kinda utilisation do you get? install netdata.io if you haven;t already. it's comfy
Why you running bloatware deluge on it? no rtorrent?

>kinda utilisation do you get?
Good question. I’ll check it.

Deluge so I can use the web interface from my PC. This is a headless install and adding torrents with CLI is disgusting

rtorrent has a decent webui, qbit is has a decent webui too but that's bloat as well.

i have qbit on mine with watch folders and use sickrage and couchpotato to auto-snatch and add torrents

>Deluge so I can use the web interface from my PC
Like transmission-daemon, rtorrent. . .

And also like deluge. I have a solution to my problem and it works.

dont you want a better one?

I hate NGINX.

It probably hates you too

fuck me turns out its illegal to run your own cat cable in australia haha fuck this country

I wouldn't be surprised at all. The few times I try to setup something, it worked pretty nice, until it decided to not. And had no fix.

if I just want to stream media to my tv, tablet, notebook etc, are Synology or QNAP (with a couple of WD Red) enough? sorry in advance for being a noob

Attached: ChiaraScelsi.jpg (800x1200, 95K)

Friendly reminder to experiment with the many distros. Dont get stuck with one, try them all.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
Seems like Green WD are not sold nowadays. So WD Reds are okay for the price if you want "NAS Drvies". Otherwise HGST and Toshiba are your friends.

stop shilling shitty overpriced hard drives

Attached: 1533645678907.png (230x316, 70K)

elaborate

I have a QNAP with reds plus an ssd for w/r cache. 2 of the 4 nics are teamed 1GB. streaming plex through it is pure ass but if I navigate to the directory and play the media right from it with vlc it's vry gud.

So I've got a nice beginners setup. From bottom to top: NAS (ubuntu, zfs on linux, samba, nfs, Plex, crash plan) VM Box (ESXi, gaymen servers right now but thinking about checking out Huginn and maybe next cloud) OldGamingRig (powered off atm since I got the VM Box) 48 port shit switch I got from a dumpster at work (its gigabit, but loud as a hurricane) NUC (outward facing stuff like ssh on non-standard port, openvpn, wiki).

Whats next? I'm thinking of getting into pfsense maybe? Try out security onion?

What're you anons self hosting? Would love some ideas.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 8.59.36 AM.png (450x1082, 901K)

is that a compaq rack? I have the same or a similar one, it's nice but no numbered units sucks.

It is a compaq rack. Got it for free from a friend of a friend. Its old (obviously) and beat up, but still does the job.

I can't close the back of mine with ready rails for dell r610s.

I just took the plunge with ESXi (coming from xenserver). Its comfy. Super small footprint, lots of options for passthru and more or less easy web interface. Highly recommend

Post yer VM's and containers.
>Proxmox master race

ComfyOP, how is the FAQ coming along? Those pastes are in serious need of updating.

is the apple time capsule the best used nas I can get for

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1200x1600, 141K)

probably. if you want 2 sata slots or improved feature sets it's going to be more cost prohibitive than sub 100 eurobucks

I urgently need to replace my temporary nas linked to my router because my ISP is run by monkeys and they sell chinese routers using SMB1

do you have a spare pc lying around? what's on your nas, just persnal files or do you have stuff run off it

if you are just streaming media, get a WD mybook or summin

>seagate
>into le trash

play around with software defined networks, should keep you busy.

Nice. I see you've soldered on the GPIO pins. Doing anything with them? I find the idea of running a RPi 0 server very tempting but I can't think of any use for it other than a remote git repo

>DNS
Why do people run their own DNS?

Attached: 1538690778122.jpg (272x272, 19K)

Save outgoing traffic which also is traffic analysis.

You might want to add this: github.com/mayfrost/guides/blob/master/ALTERNATIVES.md#enterprise

What is that connected to the microUSB there user?