FiSH

Why aren't you using fiSH yet? The friendly interactive shell is very easy and user friendly.
>Finally, a command line shell for the 90s
fish is a smart and user-friendly command line shell for macOS, Linux, and the rest of the family.
>Autosuggestions
fish suggests commands as you type based on history and completions, just like a web browser. Watch out, Netscape Navigator 4.0!
>Sane Scripting
fish is fully scriptable, and its syntax is simple, clean, and consistent. You'll never write esac again.
>Man Page Completions
Other shells support programmable completions, but only fish generates them automatically by parsing your installed man pages.
>Glorious VGA Color
fish supports 24 bit true color, the state of the art in terminal technology. Behold the monospaced rainbow.
>Web Based configuration
For those lucky few with a graphical computer, you can set your colors and view functions, variables, and history all from a web page.
>Works Out Of The Box
fish will delight you with features like tab completions and syntax highlighting that just work, with nothing new to learn or configure.

So user, why aren't you using fiSH yet? Don't you want to use the best shell? It's the most futuristic and powerful shell out there.

fishshell.com

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-10-17 at 1.11.07 AM.png (1140x804, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/zsh-users/zsh-autosuggestions
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/wiki/Bash-Style-Command-Substitution-and-Chaining-(!!-!$-&&-||)
youtube.com/watch?v=vidURL
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/1965
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/pull/3871
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/3907
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/967
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Not POSIX
Kys newfag

>he's still using that archaic standard

Fuck off kevin

fuck off kevin

No

Attached: image0.png (128x128, 18K)

>using a web server to configure your shell
L M A O

>

>⋊>
It's an option, I personally just edit the .fish config files normally.

you can get all that stuff on zsh with like 2 plugins and not have to rewrite all your bash scripts

>Web Based configuration
Sounds like cancer.

ZSH with basic plugins to mimic fish started long enough for the first couple of letters of my terminal commands to be lost.
>Scripts
Are you one of those retards who uses one shell for everything? Fish is for interactive use, dash is for scripts.

>Log into server
>It doesn't have FISH
O fuc...

I tried that but it doesn't work nearly as well as what's native on fish, plus, fish is much faster and less bloated.
>he still uses scripts
lmao
then don't use that.

>it isn't POSIX
ZSH is POSIX, use that instead
Have fun when some moronic fuck makes a script that sources #! /bin/env sh and it ruinates your whole everything
And you aren't learning anything by using fish, you're learning fish. It doesn't follow any standard
>TFW you will never make a one liner
for s in $(for i in /etc/rc3.d/S*;do $i status;done|grep stopped|awk '{print $1}');do service $s start;done
Like that pure badassness
while read line; do whois $line | grep OrgName | sed "s/OrgName/$line/"; done <

Eh, zprezto or oh-my-zsh didn't work well... how?

Where/how is fish faster? You shouldn't be able to tell the difference unless they're doing something different with disk IO (zsh being configured to check more stuff for its tab completion for example).

zsh doesn't have that sick autocomplete and autofill like fish does, same with the hinting, and the plugins weigh it down whereas it's native and optimized in fish. It's not much faster, only a few milliseconds, but it's noticeable. Also startup is faster loading the shell in my terminal.

Its the only standard that matters.

>oh-my-zsh
retarded meme, it's a giant collection of plugins and you won't even use most of them
just download the few you want

>some moronic fuck makes a script that sources #! /bin/env sh and it ruinates your whole everything
But for that I would need to be even bigger moronic fuck and use interactive shell (fish) as my login shell.

>Where/how is fish faster?
I set fish to launch with my terminal, launch the terminal and start typing. Everything is fine.
I do the same with ZSH + plugins to replicate fish and suddenly first 2 letters are lost because ZSH haven't loaded yet.

You'd have be an even bigger moronic fuck for not checking script files before you run them, and then if you notice that, edit it accordingly.

This, it's slow as fuck to load. By the time it's loaded it's missed a couple of letters if I don't wait. Fish is instant.

>zsh doesn't have that sick autocomplete
It pretty much has more autocomplete than fish.

> same with the hinting
Did you mean this?
github.com/zsh-users/zsh-autosuggestions

I prefer the normal tab completion myself, I find it bothersome if text that I haven't typed appears during normal typing.

> It's not much faster, only a few milliseconds
Haven't benchmarked it to that extent I guess. I don't see how it matters,

> Also startup is faster loading the shell in my terminal.
I can't even see st+zsh loading here, they're just basically instantly there.

See and

Whoops, wrong guy. see and

POO IN LOO

Attached: 1535485665429.jpg (643x960, 256K)

Sour grapes

Yep, I don't have this issue.

Even if zsh was loading slowly due to the system being under very heavy load, I think st would pass on text input to zsh rather than drop it.

Sometimes it catches it but sometimes it also doesn't, depends how fast/soon I started typing. I have to wait what feels like half a second (likely less) for zsh to fully load to have the same functionality as fish which loads instantly.

did you fall for the chinkpad meme

No I'm not retarded.

Nice try Andreet

>Sometimes it catches it but sometimes it also doesn't, depends how fast/soon I started typing.
In st? Depending on the terminal, that behaviour may obviously change...

>trivial redirection and loops
>badassness
Either you're a retard or a freshman IT student that just discovered bash.

> I think st would pass on text input to zsh rather than drop it.
And you are wrong. I'm using St and the first couple of letters are lost to my login shell (dash) and not passed to ZSH. No such problem with fish.

command || othercommand
>watch fish fail
because ;or is great syntax

github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/wiki/Bash-Style-Command-Substitution-and-Chaining-(!!-!$-&&-||)

>complicating your shell's syntax for functionality equivalently performed by a command is a good thing

i switched to fish recently, if only for the sweet history/completion, like being able to type "Syu" and press up to have it complete "yay -Syu"

one plugin in zsh for the exact same thing

Because command; and othercommand and command; or othercommand is easier and more user friendly than command && othercommand and command || othercommand?

>fagOS
Into the trash it goes.

Because I already use openbsd-pdksh or mksh depending on the OS

No such problem with zsh here either [I usually even load tmux and still never loose anything], but I guess it could be a difference in program versions or machine speed or the zsh settings or something else.

>not being able to differentiate between interactive shell and shell scripting

Sour grapes

I'm not autistic so I don't obsess over using 4 characters in place of 2 other ones. Besides, with 2 less operators figuring out precedence is less of a hassle.

A bud on mine who uses FreeBSD recommended I switch to it from zsh (he used to use zsh before he switched). Maybe you could give it a try and see if you like it.

>No such problem with zsh here either
Are you sure that ZSH is not your login shell, user?

It isn't for the system accounts that need a shell, but it is for the user account.

oh-my-zsh is incredibly slow.

>but it is for the user account.
Here's the reason it doesn't lose input.

I agree, I find the fish method a lot better.

Sure. And that the terminal itself [including tmux and zsh] is up near instantly.

So you're saying you didn't set your user account's login shell to the one you want...?

But I am

Based

It's slow-er than other options; I wouldn't recommend it for potato machines with a HDD because then it can take 1-2s to start.

Use zprezto or fish if you're using one of those, sure.

Now why the fuck would I wanna do that? mksh is simple and works great. bash is decent for shell scripting and it's the default shell on most Unix-like systems. What does your meme shell offer, Kevin? More "features" I won't use?

Attached: 1539397275533.jpg (300x225, 13K)

no

Bloated af

ok

>So you're saying you didn't set your user account's login shell to the one you want...?
On the contrary. My login is dash and St loads fish.

yeah, I tried it several times, but I can't be bothered to rewrite all my functions and scripts just to make them fit fish's autistic syntax.

I have come to the conclusion that the choice of shell doesn't matter that much, unless you're writing scripts and honestly I'd much rather automate stuff in Python than touch shell scripting ever again.
Also there's probably a reason why BASH is the default shell on macOS even while being fossware.

>arguing over tiny shell minutiae and ms scale speed differences
Peak Jow Forums

I'm also using dash, but the reduced feature set makes it better just for scripts.

Why would you need dash for any interactive use (login shell) if you are accustomed to fish?

>I'd much rather automate stuff in Python than touch shell scripting ever again
Trips confirm.
Apart from one-liners, fuck shell scripting for a joke

Attached: 1522683474582.jpg (199x250, 5K)

why aren't you on solus

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>fiSH
it's fish faggot

I like fish because it just werks

>POSIX

Attached: 1536000145853.jpg (430x574, 41K)

Because zsh is better

Why hipsters hate on bash so much? Bash is great.

Start using Korn Shell.

Attached: faces.David-Korn18891.web_.jpg (1638x2048, 1.94M)

For scripting sure, for interacting use? Lol.

What is wrong with bash?

Too mainstream.

>>Autosuggestions
>fish suggests commands as you type based on history and completions, just like a web browser. Watch out, Netscape Navigator 4.0!

don't need that feature, never understood the need for it

>>Sane Scripting
>fish is fully scriptable, and its syntax is simple, clean, and consistent. You'll never write esac again.

Don't care, i may as well just use Perl

>>Man Page Completions
>Other shells support programmable completions, but only fish generates them automatically by parsing your installed man pages.

Don't need it, never needed it

>>Glorious VGA Color
>fish supports 24 bit true color, the state of the art in terminal technology. Behold the monospaced rainbow.

Don't care, i don't even need colours at all in a terminal

>>Web Based configuration
>For those lucky few with a graphical computer, you can set your colors and view functions, variables, and history all from a web page.

May as well just nuke my Fish installation with a PHP Script through Apache

>fish will delight you with features like tab completions and syntax highlighting that just work, with nothing new to learn or configure.

So?

>So user, why aren't you using fiSH yet? Don't you want to use the best shell? It's the most futuristic and powerful shell out there.

Shitpost elsewhere

fish is cool, but I remember that when I tried it that I couldn't run stuff like yt youtube.com/watch?v=vidURL because it would read the ? as a wildcard. The solution would've been to use quotes, but that's one keystroke too many

What's even the point? Bash does everything you want out of the box and every gnu machine has it.

the autocompletion is really nifty

> Web Based Configuration
understandable, have a nice gay

>how do you do that

does anyone use xonsh

doing #!/bin/bash at the start of your script would negate any rewrites or incompatibilities with scripts.

But it's not.
When the semester is over I'll install Solus again on my Thinkpad.
See the webm. Also it's bad practice to not put links in quotes.
>Bash does everything you want out of the box and every gnu machine has it.
No it doesn't.
>he doesn't know how to plaintext

Attached: output.webm (1154x818, 1.98M)

>Also it's bad practice to not put links in quotes.
It's very convenient though

I still use fish, but my default for when I open a new terminal process is bash.
don't think there's an option for having it ignore glob patterns like in bash

github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/1965
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/pull/3871
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/3907
github.com/fish-shell/fish-shell/issues/967

classic Kevin haha

>this is
>a test

all very interesting but did I miss something?
isn't the gist of it still that posting a URL containing wildcards without quotes will not work?

apologies if I completely missed the point

You can edit your config file to automatically add quotes to links upon a paste.

haha

>Don't care, I don't even need colours at all in terminal

You need at least two otherwise how the fuck would you see anything?

In bash with vi mode you would've just done it with
kkf"xi'Ax.
:3

One extra k required but whatever, you get it

Could you spoonfeed me a bit more on how to do that?
Also it looks like Terminal.app doesn't support bracketed paste mode

>it's a mactoddler npc thinks he or his npc toddler toys will ever belong on Jow Forums episode

Attached: 1530747119323.png (1177x1024, 42K)