Hey Jow Forums. Longtime computer / gaming addict here. I'm thinking of selling my computer...

Hey Jow Forums. Longtime computer / gaming addict here. I'm thinking of selling my computer. This would completely kick the habit that sucks up 99% of my free time, online gaming and social media (specifically youtube). Secondly, it would also provide funds towards a much needed car, so in a sense it would be a win-win scenario for the better. Has anyone done this before or have heard similar stories and could share how it turned out? Is this is a good idea or will i likely end up buying a new computer altogether to quench my insatiable thirst for the online world?

Attached: YL0N1239.jpg (600x400, 195K)

Sell your gaming PC and buy WORK laptop. And stop friggin youtube like wth u even do there

You'll get back, if you don't replace the freetime with other entertainment and social connection. Get your self a few hobbies - you can't get away by just reading books, or just participating in some woodcrafting every tuesday.

I'd show you my youtube watch history but honestly i'd be embarrassed. I'm not addicted to social media like facebook or instagram, but ill stay up for hours watching the most boring of content, sometime i just watch videos to discuss with myself all the criticisms for that video, honestly i spend about 5 hours a day on that rancid site. It's my go to for instructional videos and really proves itself useful sometimes, so its a blessing and a curse

I'm learning the guitar, i own both electric and acoustic. I also have a nice Yamaha keyboard i haven't touched for years in my room, I want to goto the gym more and work more often so ill try fill the void with that kind of shit.

How about something even more social engaged?

reading books reduced my computer habits by atleast half and now i have a book reading addiction

Find your passion and build it!

Not op, society sucks.
Fuck society and fuck social. Stay with your bests friends

Use another OS maybe ?
I still have my gaymin pc but it's running debian and i never bothered installing games on it.
It's perfect for virtualizing stuff, the only downside is the fan noise.

i havent sold my gaming pc but i have installed a fresh Linux installation without Steam and ive blocked Youtube and facebook just to stop the reflex to open youtube.
Not connecting any headphones or speakers to the computer but instead listen to music on your phone or just sit in silence is effective as well when quitting youtube! even better is to listen to music CD:s so you dont even have the distraction of always wanting to change song since you are stuck with what you have.

Focus on finding new hobbies or things to do if you don't wanna relapse. What are you gonna do with the time that you used to spend on youtube/games, stare at a wall? You need to replace it with something

Just buy more monitors you non-multi-tasking shill

sell your GPU and install linux and block all the social media sites

you pretty much need a computer to function in today's first world society. jobs require computer usage, companies expect you to pay bills online instead of through mail, your employers will often require a smartphone so you can use their company apps or group chat sessions, etc.

I personally need a computer for at the very least responding to emails, write documents and do my spreadsheets. If you never have to write any document and never hate to write any email (so no job I guess) then yes you can sell your PC. A good in between solution would be to sell it and buy a cheapo thinkpad so you can still do your work. There are thinkpads for literally 200$ on craigslist If that's still too much you can find desktop PCs for under 20$.

You can't escape human psychology. If you go cold turkey on an addiction, you'll lapse into another form of it.

>embarrassed
>anonymous forums
Wut

Do what I do and get engaged in non social hobbies like board games. Almost everyone is autistic and greasy nerds like me so I don't feel out of place and anxious.

It used to be like that for me, I did literally nothing for most of the day but then people started coming to my house asking if I could help them with some "computer stuff" because my parents would always tell their own clients that I was good with computers. Turns out I liked money more than playing games and now I am 1 year away from getting my degree in software engineering, have a decent job, have a cheapo car and will receive my 2 bedroom house in the next 2 or 3 months

>sells a depreciating asset to buy a depreciating asset which looses money both ways
sounds like op

emerge games-roguelike/dwarf-fortress