State of Hard Disk Drives

What are your thoughts on Hard Disk Drives? Do you think Hard they'll become obsolete to consumers? When? Will they end up prosumer and up only equipment?

Attached: Screenshot_20181018-202212~02.png (910x910, 176K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/11925/western-digital-stuns-storage-industry-with-mamr-breakthrough-for-nextgen-hdds
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no, because of capacity

man, fuck that journalist for the cringe-inducing headline.

i think hard disk drives will be obsolete when SSDs become cheaper than spinning hard disks. i don't think they'll become high end equipment since their only benefit above SSDs is their price, user.

Jow Forums strikes again

>i think hard disk drives will be obsolete when SSDs
normies don't need more than 256GB of space

what coin is this

yea and 250 GB SSDs are already pretty cheap and most new laptops come with SSDs instead of spinning disks.

inb4 spinning hard drive nostalgia

>tfw have sold over 1PB total storage throughout the last year to various clients
>see shit like

Attached: 1472258372137.png (535x526, 251K)

was it all servers

>normies don't need more than 256GB of space
You could claim that of expert computer users on Linux or BSD too. The OS and a whole lot of programs are under 20GB.

Either way, whether there is objective need or not, normies will soon buy phones with 256GB of storage because SOME of their friends used that much and they don't want to be less cool. That's how the normie computer market usually works.

That just won't happen for a long time
Making a large polished metal plate and couple small motors and metal pieces is always gonna be cheaper than making a high transistor count die. Unless semiconductors somehow go below 3nm while drives stay the same

SSDs will always be inferior to a HDD

Attached: ssd_are_a_hoax.png (445x472, 191K)

"man, people will be using punch cards forever. those huge tape rolls we have in the computer room are just too expensive for most people. good thing paper right now is really cheap compared to tape."

HDDs will become the new tape drives, until eventually even that becomes replaced by SSDs and the cloud.

Attached: 1523388396007.jpg (1000x1000, 81K)

I think the reason is already seeded in the low number of HDD manufacturers in existence, which BTW suggests those large polished metal plates are not that easy to make.

but where will the cloud store the cloud

Attached: 1539704804598.jpg (205x246, 5K)

In the cloud.

Attached: C09E61DF4F494923B03865123A0438D0.png (601x499, 104K)

Hard Drive market will be reduced to Server and Database only. Just like how Google still use Tape to backup.

If normies don't need more than 250GB then why are laptops being sold with 1TB ?

Lots of normies have data like pictures, videos, games, etc.

>using the cloud
>ever
I shiggy diggy.

I guess? NASs

for day to day home use they are already obsolete for anything other than backups.

Terabyte SSDs? Or hard drives? I don't know if they make hard drives less than 1 TB anymore.

Tapes were probably cheaper than paper per byte right from the beginning

Next thing you know consumer desktops and mobile devices will not need local drives.

> until eventually even that becomes replaced by SSDs
Basically just going to happen if it becomes cheaper per TB.

> and the cloud
Doesn't seem that way to me. It's the wet dream of every burger investor, but both enterprise and individual customers are unwilling to have everything as a service in the cloud for obvious reasons.

That storage [in-house, too] will be increasingly arranged with cloud rather than RAID-type storage is probably a forgone conclusion, though. It just adapts and manages better.

that's not going to happen unless we get ftl

>prosumer
>hdd

Prosumers use SSDs for normal use
For backsups: Cloud or Tapes which are far more reliable than HDDs

Buy high sell low.

As a diagnosed data hoarder, I'm not going to be switching to SSDs any time soon. It is not financially sound for me to convert my 10 TB RAID1 array into SSDs.

>For backsups: Cloud or Tapes which are far more reliable than HDDs
IaaS cloud shit isn't automatically more reliable than just RAID6, no. And there's also the cost involved and speed of the local network [vs internet speed for IaaS clouds].

Your own backup cloud will probably mainly run on HDD, same as the IaaS one anyhow.

>low demand

Just lower the fucking prices. It literally costs more to put a plastic box around it and then sell that unit for less than the naked drive.

why

(cont'd)
As for tape drives, they're usually not applicable.

The problem is that if you have a low volume of data, maintaining a tape drive itself is not worth it.

If you do have a decent volume of data that makes the drive worth it, you still need someone to act as human tape drive changer, because an automatic tape changer robot is not yet worth it.

At the point where tape drives are worth it, you're probably huge or have dedicated IT with too much time at their hands anyhow.

And due to the poor random access performance of tape drives, the utility of tape drives is far more limited than HDD in some NAS that can provide more services AND generally restore backups quicker.

>normies don't need more than 256GB of space

bitch please my 2011 macbook air (debian) has 256gb SSD

shit the 4K77 star wars film scan is 83 fucking gigabytes and a single DSD album on my DAP tops 7

Attached: 1535830596322.gif (720x480, 80K)

>shit the 4K77 star wars film scan is 83 fucking gigabytes and a single DSD album on my DAP tops 7
You're clearly not a normie

yes, and it will happen sooner than we expect. Most normalfags out there are happy with 500GB drives, and those can alredy be found under 100 bucks. More and more lappy manufacturers slam a shit chinkton 240gb SSD on their new budget models and normalfags are blown away by the performance. HDDs will *DISSAPEAR* from the normalfag market by 2020, guaranteed.
Of course us autists will keep buying them a bit longer until the SSD prices match them (my bet, before 2025) and after that they will be dead for good.

I don't think they can lower the prices much more. Manufacturing a HDD is expensive because of the mechanical complexity and the large amount of pieces.

you are no normie, user.
generally normies go to the cinema, get the normal hd version or watch netflix
as for music, itunes, spotify or google music is enough for them

Not even nerds go for anything above a 2-5GB bluray rip. He is in ultra OCD autismo land.

maybe
but in all honesty, i still download my favorite shows and movies in 480p

I grab 480p too but usually only because its released first and sonarr hasn't replaced it with 720p yet.

Attached: wew.png (1158x622, 122K)

I hate SSD because you can't really dripe wipe without risking the hardware. HDD for life

That's nightmare scenario.

lmao enjoy your 2 minute boot time gramps

If your data is on the inside of the disk it will read slower than if it's on the outside,

Whoever made that headline was trying way too hard.

shouldn't it be zero'd out the factory since they're closing it down

good thing i will never have to read the whole disc in sequence

Normalfags aren't the only people who buy things you stupid self-victimizing faggot. HDDs aren't going to disappear because Chad doesn't need a ton of space to store his anime.

Are you fucking shitting me, games are regulary taking up 75-100gb these days.

Meh, most likely the manufacturing equipment gets sold off to some chinese company that starts shitting out cheap HDDs (with extremely high failure rates).

Yeah, im waiting on ssd price to come down so i can build a sick ssd nas.

Biggest ssd i have is currently 2tb, but im holding off on anything bigger as i expect within 5 years a 2tb ssd will probably be 100-200bux.

I'm considering blu-rays for temp storage for the next 5 years or so.

We're talking about normies here. They have pics, vidoes & games all in facebook. Music is on youtube, movies are on netflix.

Whenever I get laptop to "fix" I always go through files and there's nothing on drives these days, absolutely nothing. Best you can score in logged in facebook session.

I don't think average normie even knows how to transfer photos from phone to computer locally these days and why would he.

Then why is an external drive a good 30%+ cheaper than the naked drive inside?

Once SSDs are almost as cheap per GB it's over. 10-20 years left before they go the way of the CD.

>prosumer

Go fuck yourself

>he doesn't know about rotational velocidensity

>data hoarder

Calling yourself data hoarder and not using lto tape library.

Consumer 3.5" HDDs won't be a thing in 3-4 years. 2.5" ones won't be around at all in 6-8 years.

I'm just waiting on 12tb to get cheaper.
Of course demand slows down when size has grown exponentially.

Spinning drives aren't going to get much cheaper at this point. The market for consumer drives is getting smaller.

>data hoarder
>10TB

I hope prices drop, I want to buy some 4TB drives to consolidate all the various drives in my desk.

10TB a month doesnt even max out my bandwidth. thats some casual shit.

They're not getting cheaper because there's little competition, just like with RAM. Less demand should lead to price cuts, but there won't be because the manufacturers just shut down factories.

They won't. If anything theyll try to create a "shortage" again

Retarded, and if anything 2.5" are going away first since HDDs in laptops are going away.

It's more like 10-20% and in those cases it's usually because of a sale. At normal pricing it's more like 0% and in physical stores the markup is pretty big.

Yeah, because normies are well known for their unwavering penchant for storing lossless video files in favour of streaming.
Go outside you fucking autist and try talking to some people...

Hard drives are never obsolete when they have significantly more capacity than overpriced SSD memes

Also can't wait for MAMR

anandtech.com/show/11925/western-digital-stuns-storage-industry-with-mamr-breakthrough-for-nextgen-hdds

>Calling yourself data hoarder and not using lto tape library.
What self-respecting data hoarder would use storage with 5 minute access times?

What's the failure rate of SSDs compared to HDDs?

Assuming SSDs are as or more reliable, I'll probably switch over to them completely once 1-2tb falls under $100.

What happened to memristers? I thought they were supposed to revolutionize storage.

HP could never get them fabed at at huge amounts

Still atrocious. Stick with HDD

>tfw have the data hoarding itch and have a massive freenas server for it
>tfw too retarded/lazy to figure out private trackers

yes

soon i will be able to buy a 4tb hdd for 20 bucks

Attached: 1461606775988.jpg (768x1024, 51K)

Normies put all their crap on the cloud and don't need more than 256 GB

SSDs never fail, they safely go into read-only mode

Attached: Smile.jpg (600x600, 94K)