Do you like to use a prebuilt desktop enviornment thats more homogenous...

Do you like to use a prebuilt desktop enviornment thats more homogenous, or do you prefer making your own mishmash desktop setup?

Attached: simplescreenrecorder2-2018-10-19_10.27.41.webm (854x480, 368K)

I prefer the latter, personally
Although you do start to miss the comfyness associated with a DE.
It's kinda like having your mom making you food as a kid vs you cooking for yourself as an adult

Attached: simplescreenrecorder2-2018-10-19_10.26.33.webm (854x480, 1.01M)

>It's kinda like having your mom making you food as a kid vs you cooking for yourself as an adult
if you weren't so shit at ricing it wouldn't be any different

why are you being mean user

Attached: simplescreenrecorder2-2018-10-19_10.15.29.webm (854x480, 630K)

learn to make a webm retard, i'm not squinting to try and make out your shitty rice

tfw my moms cooking has steadily gotten worse. to the point she tried serving shake and bake chicken cutlets....

tfw every os is getting slowly worse as companies try to leverage user data for profit and serving the user updates they never test

I like the Deepin prebuilt desktop environment.

I just use a slightly customized KDE. But I've used i3 for a few months and it was pretty nice.

Attached: 1528180947762.jpg (1268x1820, 759K)

XFCE.
Mess with color scheme a bit add new background, maybe rice cursor for autism reasons and call it done...I got shit to do that isnt playing with my fucking desktop

i have a custom environment using arch and an almost unmodified awesome wm. every now and then i try a prebuilt setup like some ubuntu but it doesn't last a week.

>tfw can't stop DE hopping

Attached: sad3.jpg (680x639, 26K)

>tfw no green STAX

lmao just pick one

>just b urself m8

just be urself and use the white man's DE, MATE.

I make my own mishmash desktop based on xfce plus an external dock, my own unique icon and wm-themes, and some non-xfce programs

absolute autism
why can't you just use what's been given to you?

Easy mode
>New Windows: Kubuntu
>New Windows Minimal: Xubuntu / Ubuntu Mate
>New Mac: Ubuntu Budgie
>New Mac Minimal: Peppermint OS
All good for low effort install and ease of use. Keep at 18.04LTS.

Next steps
>Want easy advanced virtualization: Fedora
>Want to test software: Manjaro / Antergos
>Want a free desktop: Trisquel
>Want a server: Debian
>Want friendly forum for older people: PCLinuxOS
>Want a newer server GUI only: OpenSUSE Leap
>Want roll-your-own Ubuntu: Ubuntu Server
>Want really old computer to work: AntiX
All these come w/ GUI options minus Ubuntu Server (for obvious reasons). All these require user to understand Unix philosophy that every piece is modular w/ Ubuntu as a reference point and will stretch brain to work around issues w/ a terminal if they haven't already. Fedora will force users to use visudo at least once for instance.

Advanced Use Case:
>Want roll your own manjaro: Arch
>Want roll your own fedora: fedora server
>Want free arch: Parabola
>Want Debian but with more control: CentOS
>Want a rolling server: OpenSUSE tumbleweed
>Want small distro to contribute to: Slackware
>Want quick virtualization for everything: Qubes
>Want to compile OS and have infinite options: Gentoo
These should be used if you know you need what they offer. Arch included, absolutely no reason unless you absolutely want to make it yourself.

God
>Need to ascend: Read LFS

With all that said, and all the shit said on this forum, never feel bad about using Ubuntu if you like it. I've used a lot of distros and I keep coming back to Ubuntu Server w/ i3 because it works with everything I need (Including VFIO!). Its all about making linux work for you user.

Also never confuse hard and esoteric distros with good. You might gain 1337 respect with this forum, but really its no different than having onions point thrown at you for posting an i3-gaps rice on r*ddit. Don't let others influence how you compute.

Good luck user!

i prefer to get work done instead of fiddling with my operating system

FUCK MATE
Use Xfce

Don't mouse-heavy UIs gett annoying once youre used to i3? Especially on a laptop I cant really use any wm that cant be easily controlled using exclusively keyboard operations.

i3 is based

Attached: 2018-10-20-1540055771.png (1920x1080, 93K)

Whats the use of a DE? I've never really used one as I installed i3 on arch the first day I switched from windows. I've used them for a short period beore but I didnt seem to be missing out on anything. Is it just that you get quick access to a bunch of utilities without too much config?

Wow some good friendly advice on Jow Forums, never thought id see the day.

your music tags are awful
use beets

It's shit.

Mostly just GUIs and integration between programs vs configs and you having to tie it all together. A DE like Xfce or KDE is great if you just want to setup and go. Also remember that a WM is always apart of a DE and you could shoehorn i3 into any DE, but still keep the utilities.
Personally I like the point-and-click of a DE, but I can appreciate how comfy you can make an i3 or Openbox setup. And sure you can do the same with a DE, but because you don't have to do too much configuring out of the box it just seems like a bigger hassle.

kevin no

I prefer making my own that's more homogenous.

more like you're the homo who likes his ass made

Progressively less time on each .webm the more they get posted.
user, How many times have you listened to it?

I don't have time to watch it the anime right now but fighting gold is really fucking good
probably like 50x by now

Attached: 99999999999999999999999.webm (960x540, 763K)

Damn, that's a lot. Good taste user

coda is absolutely based. bloody stream was great as well

Attached: simplescreenrecorder2-2018-10-20_16.54.39.webm (960x540, 929K)

>desktop environment
i just use a slightly customized version of dwm

im gonna die, does anyone know how to achieve this blur

I really liked Manjaro's default KDE theme I love Green, but I also like how simple and light i3 is

What compositor are you using for that meme blur?

You mean this blur?

Attached: 2018-10-20-1540074730.png (1920x1080, 197K)

Yeah

you're not actually going to tell him, are you?

Attached: openpepe.png (547x435, 95K)

I can see he's using compton in his htop,
but I've never gotten a blur radius that huge with compton before

I did some looking and it looks like there's a fork of compton by a guy named tryone that had a new blur kernel. That's probably it

Very nice
The name made it sound like a troll, but it looks real

Thanks user

Confirmed the meme blur is from tryone's compton branch, which is in the aur

you just have to add
blur-method = "kawase";
to your compton config

Attached: frosted-glass-blur.png (1920x1080, 2.46M)