*exposes the brainlets*

*exposes the brainlets*

Attached: 1200px-Rust_programming_language_black_logo.svg.png (1200x1200, 56K)

>daily C++ waaaah thread

t. brainlet

>t. literal brainlet who can't use "t." properly

hello rust brainlet

why the fuck would I use rust instead of c/c++

Because it's cleaner and it makes ownership concerns explicit.

Attached: 1536512664852.jpg (396x385, 23K)

"Rust" has more symbols than "C" or "C++"
How else can anyone choose a language to code?

>longer name
>less keywords
What dit they mean by this?

based and redpilled, Rust exposes the code monkeys who can only copy and paste

based.
Rust is basically the gentoo of all languages

Hardly. The language has high friction because you have to work around the language limitations to do anything. It is more like the Arch Linux of programming languages: it has a small but vocal community who shill it but the distro is ultimately useless for anything other than personal use, which even then is questionable. Gentoo is at least flexible and gives you the power to choose what you want to do with your distro with few limitations.

>brainlet who can't configure industrial grade supercomputer using arch, having some bash scripting done.

You basically can set a package server.

is rust stable yet

why did they have to call it rust? awful name

Because if it was shiny all macfags would work with it.

Rust went stable in 2015

you say that but code written for rust 1.0 won't compile now

Show me an example

There is no stable language.
>inb4 C
No it isn't, it's not backwards compatible.

>exposes people who want to slaves to a company for their entire career
Anyone that low level needs should just use C++.

10/10 shit post.

Sage in all boxes.

it'd still be better exposure than being in that awkward state where a group of people say it's the best but it's very underused and niche

>portable assembler is not backwards compatible

foo();
This is a C89 program. This is not a C99 program.

>"portable" assembler

Attached: 1537379077871.jpg (480x480, 26K)

That's C. Regards.

Actually it's forth.

>tfw rust refuses to compile because my variable names are "transphobic"

Attached: 3c58da80d8f8969ee4e3226ad1950cb34a28a03009aa3eaa5495334d7522ec90.jpg (546x550, 44K)

> (OP)
No that isn't. You don't know what portability means.

is this real?

Newbie to programming. Looking to get started. I got bored going through the SICP book because I will never program anything in lisp.

I looked over the Rust book and skimmed through the code by example bit and Rust looks like an easy language to learn, plus it's becoming more and more popular. Would Rust be a decent language to start with or is it too abstract?

>being autistic enough to consider this could be real

Well, not yet, but somebody may work on that.

Attached: b876c2b793a5e50a4b6181139d1362a7.jpg (600x294, 29K)

fn main() {
let name = "Steve Dickens".to_owned();
std::mem::drop(name);
let trans_name = "Molly Cleopatra".to_owned();
println!("{}", name); // Error! Cannot print a deadname
}
There's OBVIOUSLY an agenda here.

>inb4 a words blacklist makes it way to rust compiler.

at this point, it wouldn’t surprise me

>*routinely uses unsafe blocks to work around the borrower*
>don't worry it's safe :^)

I'm a Rust developer and usually I'd make a comment about how at least it's a conscious decision and makes code more auditable, but this has been bothering me recently. There's a lot of Rust developers using unsafe blocks unnecessarily and not even auditing them, an example is actix-web, which was vulnerable before the community got off their ass and audited it.

Yeah, my only grip with rust is how retarded their names can be
>fucking rust
>The unsafe kw making everyone scared
>All the crates and std types with abreviated or faggy unrelated names names (serde, tokyo)

Certain levels of abstraction are necessary to work with for some projects. There’s a reason why web development doesn’t use assembly and a operating systems don’t use Java.

i will be using c for all programs and php for web for the rest of my life and nothing you people try to shill every few years is going to change that
also javascript is like chocolate, a little bit now and then is okay but more than that makes you fat and sluggish

Honestly, it has many enforced rules that would only add to the load of learning the language. These constraints are there to facilitate the maintenance and expansion of code that needs to have explicit memory management. This field is no small thing, but is not all of programming. A lot of things can be done using garbage collection, but after you have some experience with both models you can decide when to use each.

I think you should learn a garbage collected language first (Java and Python are classics, but for a modern spin, maybe Kotlin?). Then look into the comparison of memory management in C and Rust. Then Rust could be an excellent second language.

>Rust
>clean
Laughingman.tiff

clear example of typical Jow Forums unemployed wannabes chasing memes for a living.

If anything C is the gentoo of programming languages. You children fighting off over programming languages either never took a cs course in theoretical compsci or software engineering, let alone a degree or(and) never worked on anything serious outside your forked github repo, which probably has only some poorly written wikis as source repos.

A good software developer has enough abstraction capabilities to use any language he needs given the task. There is a reason why java, python and javascript are so popular. Can you do a website in C? Sure! But in the real world anyone will laugh at you for the time(=money) wasted and the unmaintainable shit you gave birth to.

For the same reason you cannot do a game engine or operating system in java.

Rust is good for audio/video codecs and encoders and anything needing high data processing combined with security and performance, you wouldn't want to use it for a web scraper when python nails it in 1/4 of the time.

There is no good or bad, a language is just a set of tools used to solve a problem, and each language has its use case.

You all look like idiots.

Name One Uno Ein bigger project Made in rust

Attached: 1162366740.jpg (480x359, 216K)

>If anything C is the gentoo of programming languages
based

>I'm a Rust developer
How can you be a developer? The language only exists for politics, not for writing code

c and java fags will downvote

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-12 23-59-15.png (1920x1080, 732K)

>Rust has too many string types, it's too complicated!
Meanwhile string views weren't in the standard cpp library until c++17
You had to pass either std::string or c-style null terminated string to libraries, which means that for example you couldn't even substr without a copy