/DSG/ - Data Storage General

In this general we talk about stuff that stores data, from USB drives to external hard drives

Attached: th55S3SOSU.jpg (474x351, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s16qGpfFxf5I
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What company sells the best external HDDs/SSDs?

Ok I'll give my 2 cents about this.

Basically pic related is the best portable storage solution on the market.. An M.2 Sata SSD with an USB 3.1 adapter. You get the maximum USB 3 speed which regular flash drives never reach, but the best part is that it's also cheaper than buying a high capacity USB flash drive.

Attached: 71nOcjnZnYL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 119K)

Take a look at this, the M.2 is much cheaper adding just $10 for the enclosure, but not only that it's somehow much less bulky than the kingston drive.

Attached: usb vs m2.jpg (1510x971, 243K)

Im assuming that everyone and their dog knows this but STAY AWAY FROM SEAGATE. I've got a 3tb seagate and it's crapping out on me after only a year. Thing goes from 3% usage and randomly spikes up to 100%, usually crashes any games or software thats running from it. Also only had 2.3tb of space on it, not sure if that's me not knowing how to allocate the extra space or the drive is just dumb, probably the ladder.

I just watched a coworker put 4 sata hdd drives into a case. They had about 1/8" (3.175mm) between them. Isn't that a bit tight for heat dissipation considerations or am I just being a fag?

I dont think heat matters that much for HDDs, as theyre just metal disks with magnets as opposed to processors, which is microscopic (as in the actual transistors) which are made out of silicon
or maybe Im wrong and it does matter

>I dont think heat matters
>maybe Im wrong and it does matter
Why even comment then?

do you know the answer then?

I wouldn't say heat itself matters if you keep them below 60°C. Temperature variance is a bigger killer, and that is why I think having good heat dissipation is important; it keeps the temperature from fluctuating too much.

What do you recommend?
I have HITACHI.

>Synology 1817+ w/ 8x8tb Reds
>multiple 1-2tb externals.

>Need
A good 8/10tb drive sale
Synology to release the 2419+ already.

Also usb flash drives for some reason die if you look at them the wrong fucking way no matter if it is a 50 cent drive or a 50 fucking bucks drive, they always die in what feels like 2 weeks.

Are Western Digital Caviar HDDs any good or are they incredibly slow and prone to breaking?

bump

i saw this on LTT.

So RMA it

Whats the SSD to get? I kicked my HDD and now it sounds like this every couple of minutes

vocaroo.com/i/s16qGpfFxf5I

Attached: 1510710645262.jpg (269x353, 21K)

How do I ensure I won't encounter bit rot on my old stuff?
Don't intend to use a NAS with zfs.

for purely storage purposes should I get 2 drives of the same model or 2 drives of the same capacity from different manufacturers?

This is why you should use FLAC and store bluray remuxes instead of encodes. You may not be able to tell the difference now but it's worth it in the long run to ensure the integrity of your data.

Attached: 1356493946197.jpg (325x335, 33K)

What’s the best DVD format: + or -?

Are Reds really necessary for NAS purposes or a meme? I want to get a small server for light home use but the case I like only takes 2.5 inch drives. Reds in 2.5 are expensive. Can I get away with two regular HGST drives? Would probably have one SSD for server OS then 2x 1 or 2 TB HDDs in RAID mirror as I don't hoard much data

I have a 9 years old 500gb wd caviar blue and it's still going strong, only one weak sector. Although I will probably get a new one soon, are toshiba drives as shitty nowadays as they used to be?

Attached: uguu.jpg (600x600, 79K)

HGST are better, thats what i got for my NAS

toshiba drivers are good tier

I already have 3 2.5" hdds lying around in my room. Should I buy a 2.5" hotswap rack for my 5.25" bay in my desktop pc? I would like to seed my torrents 24/7, plus they're all mon my laptop and it's nearly full so I'd like to move them all on my hdds.

I've have 5+ year old sandisk drives that still work fine.