I just realized how much amazing smartphones with removable batteries are...

I just realized how much amazing smartphones with removable batteries are, after trying to use multiple batteries and getting to 100% again in a matter of seconds. Removing this feature today is really such a waste. What are some good phones with removable batteries? I own One Plus 5 but considering on downgrading(more like upgrading) to a good smartphone that has a removable battery.

I'm not really liking the direction of smartphones today where it focuses to much on power that no apps really takes advantage off. So until the mobile scene gets their shit together and bring back removable batteries and especially headphone jacks. I would stick to older smartphones with removable batteries.

Attached: Samsung-Galaxy-S3.png (592x432, 225K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dxomark.com/lg-v20-mobile-review-dual-camera-with-great-results/
people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html
head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/
head-fi.org/threads/the-monoprice-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club.580769/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Lg V20 is pretty much the last decent phone.

So let me get this straight, you have to:
1. Keep a stock of extra backup batteries
2. Keep them charged
3. Carry them with you
4. Turn off your phone
5. Take off the back cover
6. Swap the battery
7. Put on the back cover
8. Turn on your phone
What an aamzing feature!

This. Posting on it right now. Don't listen to bootloop fags. Just flash custom firmware. I've never had a bootloop issue.

Attached: 1331495201167.jpg (1000x525, 40K)

>LG software
>shit screen
>shit camera

>instant full power

Is the top screen retarded?

>2 minutes to replace battery and reboot
>instant

>Smartphone

Take the true redpill of technology and ask whether you truly need a smartphone or are better off with a flip phone. Whatsapp and many other messengers are cross platform anyway so you dont reasonably need to have a fancy screen. Taking your phone to bed while browsing Jow Forums Facebook or Netflix isn't actually healthy or good in any context and frantically refreshing your browser in the train or car every 10 seconds doesn't seem conducive to your goals.

Flip phones dont even need to replace your smartphone in an instant since a good one can be bought for 35 dollars with Sim card and earbuds included.

>5.7 screen
>quad DAC
>1440p with high ppi
>USB C
>removable batteries
>headphone jack

Seems to be a dream phone holyshit. I'm so sold

Why not just use a portable battery. It's barely more clunky that carrying around phone batteries and you don't have to reboot.

>LG software
custom rom
>shit screen
ips, so it's not bad
>shit camera
scored 85 on dxomark, so it's not horrible.
dxomark.com/lg-v20-mobile-review-dual-camera-with-great-results/
Photos don't seem that bad to me.
(DESU I put electrical tape on my cameras anyways)
>removable battery
>headphone jack
>no notch

I agree. I usually ROM my phone because stock roms are usually retarded. I plan to use lineage on it

It's better than having a dead device, and then waiting to charge it.

>2 minutes to replace battery.

user, u gotta be disabled to take this long to replace a battery. Also I plan to use custom rom so booting times will be faster than bloat fest stock roms. And 2 minutes is still a lot faster than 1-2 hours of charging

galaxy s4

>flip phones
>I'm better off with a smart phone
It was a better argument back when networks still supported legacy flip phones that where firmware hackable.

Why would I have a dead device? Am I going camping for a week or something?

Not saying that removable battery is bad, but having a portable backup battery compatible with most devices you own is the best way.

There still are. Its just harder to come by.

The secondary display is still not functional as of the latest lineage release despite there existing an open source API from a generous developer. Its only a matter of time before it gets implemented.

See

>Why would I have a dead device? Am I going camping for a week or something?
>camping
You don't seem like the type to be honest.

the best way to keep a full charge is to learn to use your phone less

it's a timesink, do more useful things with your day. Trust me, life is so much more beautiful than browsing on your phone

Attached: 1414039860954.jpg (800x1208, 123K)

I could do without the secondary display.

Are there any other custom roms that support the secondary screen of LGV20?

The best way to use your phone less is to just keep it at home. I like to give people the most retarded unwarranted advise, so trust me.

Nice insight but smartphones are really useful today especially with a lot of jobs. They act like a computer in your pocket.

Just a heads up, you have no visual notifications without the 2nd display. The phone lacks any notification led. I'm personally fine with it. I just make a habit of it never being within an earshot.

I noticed phones nowadays come with water resistance. So, are there phones with removable batteries and with water resistance?

There are some that make use of the open API that was developed, which I believe are all AOSP ROMs. But I can't vouch for them. Also I recommend getting the US996 model which is the only model that LG's proprietary bootloader unlock tool works on.

Samsung Galaxy S5 is that phone. But then, I never really trusted phones that are water resistant. I'd still put them in a sandwich bag regardless

Are you telling me that other versions of LGV20 are not capable of getting their BL unlocked? I found one just now that is cheap and it is a T-Mobile variant. Perfect for me since I am under t-mobile

Not impossible but I can't vouch for the methods used on other models. The US996 is carrier agnostic.

so let me get this straight, to make a post you have to
1. think of something to post
2. drag your mouse to the post option or post number
3. click on box
4. type in what you want to say
5.click on "I'm not a robot"
6. complete the captcha
7. drag your mouse to submit
8. click on submit
What an aamzing feature!

quick search lead me to a positive result. You can unlock the bootloader with the LGV20 variant. I'm glad because this model I found is cheaper.

That's a small sacrifice you have to deal with. Still a lot better than not using your phone for hours just to let it charge.

An extra battery is also a lot smaller than power banks and battery cases that makes your phone a huge clunky piece of shit.

If it works, go for it. Just sharing that the reason why I made the decision on the US996 variant was that it was the only model the official bootloader unlock tool worked on. I personally didn't want to risk a non-official bootloader unlock tool.

so let me get this straight, to bait someone you have to
1. make an awfull blogpost
2. make people subscribe to it on Jow Forums
3. use numbers
4. type some shitty bait message
5. type sage in all fields exept options
6. be a faggot
7. include a shitty image
8. hope people take the bait.

Yea so big and bulky. KYS.

Attached: 51sekzOayLL._SL1500_.jpg (1000x1500, 46K)

Is that supposed to be a powerbank phone case? Well holy shit if that is.

With that thin build, just how little mAh does it even hold? And I hope you are aware that using your phone while charging puts a stress to your battery that's why I find these power bank cases bullshit which only dooms smartphones with non removable batts even further.

Best custom rom for this phone?

Sorry but consumers voted for even thinner phones that they are ready to remove the 3.5mm plug from them. Be angry at the real culprit if you have to be angry at someone.

They also voted for zerg shit, so now we all get to enjoy mr pingpong's riceboxes.

>only holds 2500mAh
>needs to charge it separately
>still makes your phone in uproportional mess

Attached: Screenshot_Amazon_Shopping_20181021-150900.png (1030x1467, 1.19M)

a more commonly used feature is replacing batteries that don't recharge without (((upgrading))) your phone.

Literally all the same applies to your "replaceable" batteries. Except it's much harder to charge because you have to use a specialized dongle.

I don't get how this is not thin enough for consumers.

Consumers right now are retarded.

Attached: 2017-hot-original-lg-v20-h990n-4gb-ram-64gb.jpg (900x900, 44K)

I don't get how bad vision consumers have if they need an 9" phone, but sooner or later we will all be carrying a 12" tablets under our arms.

>I just realized how much amazing smartphones with removable batteries are
They were...

Attached: s-l300.jpg (300x257, 15K)

You can just stick to one charger, which is a universal phone battery charger. Charge the extra battery you are not using then replace your current dead battery with the newly charge one, then repeat this process.

the bootloops was a hardware issue though

Ahh yes I sure do love swapping batteries every day instead of just dropping my phone on a wireless charging pad every night.

>wireless charging
Never knew how this thing was even useful. It just saves you the trouble penetrating your phone with the charger. You couldn't even use it when charging it.

by the time you set your phone on a wireless pod and lay on your bed. I am done swapping my phone and already at 100%

Niggers, please. You can have both.

Why do you need to use your phone when you're supposed to be sleeping?

In that case then I don't even need to swap my phone in the first place. I can just normally charge my phone. I'd swap batteries in the day when I run out where normally people would charge their phone.

Try not using a shit phone that runs out of battery during the middle of the day.

Is there any OLED phone with replaceable battery newer than Note 4?

>Super slow updates
>horrible screen retention
>crappiest auto brightness of all the phones I've owned
>vastly inferrior camera compared to LG G3/G4, especially autofocus on macro, erratic flash behavior when taking pictures

Otherwise it's fine.

t. V20 owner

Never had that problem with in the first place. I never buy phones with locked bootloader. Every device I own are all optimized through custom roms. Meaning, i have no bloatwares slowing and draining my phone
It's all the matter of getting to 100% in mere seconds.

>super slow updates.
The only time it's acceptable to stay with the stock rom is when you use a device like one plus. Otherwise, all stock roms are terrible unoptimized shit.
>horrible screen retention
There is a fix for this. You have to manually calibrate the colors.
>crappy auto brightness
Never really use this
>camera
Looks good to me.

The LG V20 is the last best flagship device we'll ever see. It's still quite useful, but if you choose to use a non-stock based custom ROM you're going to lose functionality regardless of what you do. The second screen works with just one particular ROM and a specific kernel for that ROM and it only works to some degrees so if that's important to you then forget about a custom non-stock-based ROM for that.

The quad DAC is very nice, but "high resolution" audio formats are fucking retarded, read this if you don't understand why:

people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Also, unless you're using high impedance aka >= 50 Ohms (give or take a few as some people with 48 Ohm headsets trigger the DAC) you're not going to notice much in terms of quality improvement. It's possible with a rooted V20 to change one variable in the build.prop config and you can enable that mode permanently regardless of the impedance of any headsets you attach. USB Audio Player PRO aka UAPP is highly recommended since it is the *ONLY* app that will push any and all audio data to the DAC directly (bypassing the Android SRC subsystem and the Snapdragon DAC entirely) so you get the best possible audio quality all the time.

The removable battery is awesome, and larger capacity ones do exist of course to give you 2-3 and even sometimes 4 days of usable battery life.

Oreo is available for almost every variant (the T-Mobile one I have finally got it late last month) and now only the US996 model (the GSM unlocked one) is the last to get it later this month according to LG. Rooting is possible on all of them because of lafsploit, so that's a non-issue at all.

I do love my V20, and if it dies for some reason I'll just buy another one when necessary. It's the last best serious smartphone for power uses, and the Snapdragon 820 is still more than enough for years to come.

Attached: LG-V20.jpg (1600x1200, 758K)

The H918 T-Mobile model allows for OEM bootloader unlocking out of the box, and with the Oreo release it still allows it and also allows one to roll back to Nougat without any hassles too.

The US996 is nice but since LG doesn't give a fuck about it - there hasn't even been a security patch update for it since I think March of 2017 - it's not the one to get, the H918 is the best one to acquire if you want to unlock the bootloader and play around with it for whatever reasons.

I'm fine with the LG stock rom. I am not willing to sacrifice camera quality for pure android experience which I find to be rather bland to be honest (Mi A2 Lite owner also).

Are there even any custom roms yet for H990DS variant ... I don't know.

Screen calibrating is a shitty fix. It only shifts color levels/display of colors so that you wont see the retention, but it's still there. Not a fix imo. Shitty display will remain shitty.

Camera is decent, but has the parts I mentioned are really crappy. Why is the flash not firing when you try to take a closeup pic, even though it's set to on? No other phone I've owned does this. Why is the macro autofocus so shot compared to LG G3/G4?

All in all I can bear with this phone but it's not as great as it seems on paper.

>5.7 screen
>dream phone
are you a girl, do you like holding >5" things, or both? i've got something here that's 7" for you to grab, little boy

Actually anything above 5 inches screen is still good to me. I personally wouldn't go with 6 inches or higher screens because they just look too dorky for me. But to each their own. A 5.7 screen is definitely useful for me because I read mangas.

Very helpful insight. Just sucks that you are limited with custom roms if you plan to use the second screen. I definitely plan to.

As long as I don't see the retention, then I'm fine.

Also read that the fix not only hides the retention but also improves to color and also removes the yellowish tint.

Yeah that might be true. I'm really not trying to shit on the phone. It's decent but I just want to make people aware of some of it's flaws.

In the end it's hard to find a better phone featurewise. That's why I got it in the first place.

Just found a post on plebbit
that says that resurrection remix supports the second screen. Fuck yes. I love resurrection remix

The flaws, IMO are really acceptable. Far better than other phones I have owned

Especially it offers 1440p display and over 500 ppi.

I could accept the shitty screen(subjective) if it offers plethoras of useful features.

See:

Not to mention that this phone will actually replace my fiio DAC. What an amazing device.

That's reassuring!

There's a super huge thread about the audio quality of the V20 over at Head-Fi here:

head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/

Tons of great info, and a lot of just fucking babbling too of course. I purchased UAPP recently and it's been awesome: it has Tidal and Qobuz support, they might add Deezer support later on, supports Google Play Music, Shoutcast stations, and you can add your own and their data streams will always pipe directly to the ESS DAC bypassing the Snapdragon DAC to get the best possible audio quality.

Yes the V20 has screen retention issues but I just don't give a fuck anymore, it's not permanent - it can't be because it's a fucking LCD, not OLED - and it fades away in a few minutes and I'm not sitting there staring at my fucking display for seriously extended periods of time, especially if I'm listening to music as the screen will be off most of that time.

Playing videos works great, the Snapdragon 820 supports x264 and x265 video streams in 8 and 10 bit formats with hardware acceleration as well.

The device is fucking awesome, period, and if you were to use it for nothing more than a PMP it would be the best one available to this day for the price. I got my V20 off eBay for $110 shipped to my door, got a nice leather case for it, a matte anti-fingerprint screen protector, some Monoprice 9927 IEMs (they are fucking AWESOME for only about $7, seriously), and with UAPP and some 24/96 audio files - especially some vinyl rips my PBTHAL and Dr Robert - those Monoprice IEMs fucking rock hard.

Lol TFW I have already bought UAPP long time ago. Haven't used it for years and it looks a lot different now. I had to buy it to get my portable fiio DAC amp get detected on my old phone.

Cool iems. I use kz zs3 myself. I might buy your iems since it's so cheap.

An even longer thread over the 9927's and people fucking raving over them for years now so I finally got some just a few weeks ago, I should have bought them a long time ago:

head-fi.org/threads/the-monoprice-mp9927-pg-208-mp8320-mep-933-the-7-11-club.580769/

Protip: the 9927 out of the box can sound a bit harsh and lacking in bass, it's a common thing people report even after some burn-in as it's called. In that thread people commented on taking a piece of Scotch Tape (seriously) and covering the tiny port hole next to the stem and I did that with my 9927 and it changed everything: it brought the bass up to where it should be (for my ears), not excessive, but adds the thump and punchiness I believed these were capable of.

Just a tiny 3/32" inch square piece of tape large enough to fully cover that port hole and wham, these went from being "OK, that's not what I was expecting based on all the reviews..." to "Holy shit, these are fucking crazy awesome and only ~$7... damn"

So yeah, that little port can alter the sound quality rather dramatically and now my 9927's are my go-to for everything when I'm using the V20. Can't recommend them enough.

There's a notch on the v10 and v20 except it's practical and not hideous

Better than holding a phone and a powerbank with a spaghetti of wires for hours, which is incel way

The screen retention is markedly improved from the v10 but still there if you're using it for like, way too long at once. Screen brightness in super bright conditions is like the only thing that I could complain about though

My so plus lasts me more than a day. Why would I want to carry around an extra battery? If I did want to carry one around, why wouldn't I just use an external battery pack which is way more versatile than a dedicated battery for one specific device?

s9 plus

it's not a notch. it's a second screen next to the camera.

The camera and sensor cut into screen real estate, it's basically a notch

Posting on a V20 US996. It's a great phone, the screen retention triggers my autism though. I wish LG had continued improving on the V series rather than falling in line with the trends of all the other manufacturers in making sealed non 16:9 phones with notches and rounded off corners.

I want to buy another US996 as a backup, anyone know where I can get one for a reasonable price?

>Galaxy S3 hasn't gotten a new Lineage release since last year
>Build Maintainer for it said fuck it, a couple other people have unofficial builds but they're still few and far between
>Not getting an update to Oreo in the foreseeable future, Pie after that is completely out of the question

>Still works well enough for me to stay complacent and not upgrade to a new phone
>No modern phone has all three of an IP6* rating, an SD card slot, and a removable battery

Attached: 1534796939413.png (769x1000, 328K)

Its a flimsy cheap feeling piece of shit.

ugh, eating fresh food? are you telling me you have to
1. find or create recipes
2. go to the grocery store
3. find fresh food
4. have money to buy the fresh food
5. buy the fresh food
6. bring the fresh food home
7. prepare the food based off of the recipe
8. eat the food
what an amazing idea!!!

>type sage in all fields except option
kek'd

>flash custom rom to fix a manufacturing defect
Lmao. Why do you think LG got sued into the ground and lost

replaceable batteries aren't only dead but IP67/68 is retarded when you need rubber seals everywhere like on the xperia Z3 or the Galaxy S5 due to the removable back.
try not to masturbate in the shower man.
>tfw the 4 year old note 4 and the 2 year old V20 are the last good phones

Why are people comfortable with having their phones on and pinging cellular networks 24/7 from point A to B to C? That's just the modem, then you have software tracking via GPS, e.g. what Google does.

IP6* rating is at the bottom of my short list of nice-to-have features, but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to have.
All the talk about the LG V20 has piqued my interest, but since LG phones are notorious for bootlooping at the drop of the hat, I'm still lukewarm about that as a future upgrade. At least an official Oreo update means it has a future with shit like Lineage, but I don't know at what cost. The only phone that really meets all my criteria is the Galaxy S5 Active, and it's a complete and utter nightmare to find ROMs specifically for it, because the pajeets at XDA lumped all the Galaxy S5 variants together. Doesn't help that it's also relatively old at this point.

Attached: 1522625977130.png (919x720, 877K)

>2 batteries
>1 in phone, 1 in charger
>phone's dying
>swap
>repeat
It was an incredible feature and I miss it.
>3. Carry them with you
No, my phone averaged 3 days battery life. If I didn't think it was going to make it through the day I'd just swap before I left. I mean I could take it with though, the charger also functioned as a small case with a recessed micro USB cable you could pull out to use it as a power bank.

The V20 doesn't have a bootloop issue. That was the G4 and V10. The main issue with the V20 is that the LCD has screen retention, which requires tweaking the color settings with root which I haven't messed with yet.

The V20 DAC is a total meme; just because it plays loud doesn't make it good. My antique Kindle Fire with its Wolfson DAC sounds leagues better.

Other than that's it's pretty alright.

Too bad they don't make smartphones with that feature anymore.

F

The camera is bretty gud desu, tons of manual options too

>Cheap (((feeling)))
Look up drop tests for it, it's pretty durable. Or can you not get past your (((feelings)))?

The LG G5 seems like a better phone to me. Similar specs as the V20 without the meme screen or DAC. What's the software support like?