How do I trick Steam into thinking I'm running a newer OS version?

How do I trick Steam into thinking I'm running a newer OS version?

Attached: Capture.png (640x512, 161K)

by installing a newer OS grandpa

Don't. Ask for refunds on all your old games since you can no longer play them on the system that was advertised as compatible when you bought them.

That would be almost $7000, I doubt they would.

Install Windows 7

>How do I trick Steam into thinking I'm running a newer OS version?
This is probably a nss situation, but forwards compatibility isn't really a thing

install linux, older steam games work awesome under proton/wine

install a better operative system

Attached: 99999999999999999999999.webm (960x540, 763K)

Question is if they have to by law. Would keep lawyers busy for years.

Based you should try this

Why
You will unironically have better compatibility on linux

Might as well pirate the games then

buy your stuff at GOG and fuck DRM. no launcher bs required

just dont update the client then nigger. offline mode is still a thing

You can’t stupid.
Literally says the embedded version of chrome they use does not work on versions earlier than 7. Also you will not have the security patches. Be glad they waited until Vistas EOL to terminate support.

Any attempt to trick Steam or modify core files will result in you being banned from the service.

Your post doesn't address the fact your games will no longer work on what they were advertised to work for.

They work

Attached: 1533951025054.png (602x500, 26K)

if (GetOsKernelMajorVersion >= 6) {
if(!TrySomeApiAvailableOnlyFromVersion6()) {
ShowErrorMessage("NT version 6 is required");
return -1;
}
}

offline mode doesn't allow you to install games and doesn't work at all on any PC where it's not activated before January 1st.

And I clearly missed the kernel's minor version

>your games will no longer work on what they were advertised to work for.
Read the EULA. There are no guarantees that the service will always be available to you and that you accept that risk. From 1st Jan you are considered a security risk.

You have no legal leg to stand on in the states.
In the EU/NZ/AUS you'll have more luck.

Attached: Capture.png (857x655, 118K)

this text is perfectly incomprehensible to any normal person. it's literal nonsense. looks like a drunken man's trail of thought written in ALL CAPS with no proper paragraphs and accompanied with legal jargon.

it's like companies want to intentionally obscure as much of the important information as possible so if a client wants to know their rights they will have to hire a lawyer to translate all that shit for them.

>Archfags get BTFO by Jow Forums and have to parade their autism around /v/
The absolute state of the archfag

Attached: 1535834228906.jpg (720x532, 65K)

I understand it perfectly.
Maybe you’re just dumb.

what's your IQ? if its 100+ then it automatically nullifies your argument. just because you're highly educated doesn't mean the average person is.

>it's like companies want to intentionally obscure as much of the important information as possible

Attached: 1525216026908.jpg (477x435, 146K)

>unironically defending this bullshit anti-consumer practice
how does that corporate cock taste? don't you have any sympathy for those who have lost thousands in legal battles because the conditions are purposefully designed in a way that makes them easy to misinterpret?

>How do I trick Steam into thinking I'm running a newer OS version?
By runnning a newer OS. You choose to be a luddite, you accept the consequences.

by using Wine?

Don't cuck yourself in the first place, faggot.

When "install Gentoo" is legitimate advice at this point

Attached: 307.jpg (656x893, 101K)

What?

It's unreasonable to expect Steam to continue supporting an OS that is no longer supported by Microsoft.
The terms probably include something like "you buy this game, knowing you have the required hardware and software to play it" where xp and vista no longer meet that requirement. It doesn't matter that when you bought the game xp met that requirement, because it no longer does.
What I'm getting at is the definition of requirements (in the case of steam) are probably dynamic and not static.

While also taking a huge chunk out of your pocket due to legal fees. It's not fucking worth it. Just. Upgrade.

>Don't. Ask for refunds on all your old games since you can no longer play them on the system that was advertised as compatible when you bought them.
Someone didn't read the steam TOS changes during 2013.

>be dev
>make game
>people buy it, get money
>out of sudden change the system requirements to windows 98
>mfw nobody can play it anymore
>mfw you still got the money
>mfw it's technically free money since they don't get any compensation

Attached: gE9uaW1.jpg (524x558, 38K)

>companies making money off brainlets
Sounds based and redpilled to me

>>mfw it's technically free money since they don't get any compensation
But you still had to spend the time developing the game? You joke is stupid and you should feel bad.

It's not my loss at that point LOL

If you're using XP or vista at that time, you're unironically a fucking retard

This would probably work except I don't think wine runs on Windows. It works with cygwin though.

Seems fucked up though, emulating windows on a gnu/linux emulator running on windows.

Or just run a really really succesful business

>successful business needing to use steam
got me there

>playing gaymen
you need to do something productive in your free time user

Everything that works on XP should work on 7 and above. Minus some really obscure DirectX features, but I doubt that any game released on steam uses them. This would only be an issue if Steam had been as big as it has been in the past 6 years since 2001 or so, but it hasn't.

You forgot to tip your fedora.

The real question is why in the fuck is Google Chrome the reason preventing Steam from running XP, is it so hard to draw a UI without having an entire fucking browser embedded in?

>using steam
>paying for digital distribution
kys
>refunds on all your old games
You are very ignorant. When you pay for digital distribution you are only paying to be able to access the files from their server. It isn't even paying either since paying for digital distribution is nothing more than giving a donation to a company and as consolation you get to access the files from their server.
No sympathy, anyone that gives donations for digitally distributed games should be executed.

Attached: steam pay pig.jpg (1109x739, 177K)

Shut it down.

Have you used the new steam chat? It has a fucking video player and shit. Of course they are going to reuse webshit to render all that instead of reinventing the wheel. If you don't it, there is a launch parameter for steam that disables the webshit chat and allows you to use the old UI. That should continue working just fine on XP as far as I know.

Just backup your games. If you are unable to remove steamworks DRM with IDA Pro you should get the fuck out of Jow Forums.

139 according to MENSA
135-141 dependent on other sources.

The important part is literally written in all caps so you don't miss it. Don't understand it? Ask someone that does. Go to your local library or ask a legal advisor, plenty of which give general advice for free. No excuse for retardation in 2018 that wasn't at birth.
They will remove that in the future.

>They will remove that in the future.
Citation needed, you colossal faggot.

"“The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows,” Valve say. “In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 7 and above.”"

I already back up all the games I pirate. I have never had Steam on my machine and never will. Paying for digital distribution cannot be justified.

>OP asks question which requires technical knowledge
>Instead gets corporate bootlicker faggots raving about EULAs
nu-Jow Forums

>paying for games

Attached: mentally ill pay pig.jpg (606x530, 76K)

>68164759
>I WANT TO DO SOMETHING THATS IMPOSSIBLE AND NOT COMPATIBLE WITH AN AGREEMENT I SIGNED WAAAA CORPORATE COCKSUCKERS
no you for u
pirate if you want idgaf
you want to use their services, you play by their rules

EULAs are only valid when legally applicable, and they are legally applicable when it comes to paid digital distribution. You only paid for a license to access files from their server, that is it.
It is like buying a car and renting a car, both involve a car but they are completely different purchases.

unfortunately this is not reddit so you can only watch and complain about "nu-Jow Forums" as your petty thread CHAOTICALLY escalates into anons discussing a broader range of topics than you originally intended, perhaps even topics that you don't like

removing the function to delete threads from users themselves was right thing to do from hiro

They are like me and underestimate their own dicks length.

>"My dick lays itself around the world."
>"I forgot its length, now I'm fucking myself."

Attached: egg-plant.png (750x1375, 86K)

You seem uninformed. Reddit posters are the ones that would be conforming and parroting muh EULA becase it's the least interesting NPC reply. Old Jow Forums would have at least attempted to provide a solution because circumventing DRM is counterculture.

>services
It isn't a service. They need to get with the times and come up with a new term.
It obviously isn't a good, and it isn't a service since once the system is set up it is automatic and relatively infinite. An actual service like a haircut or car repair requires someone using their finite time to do the service, if they want to do that service again then they have to use more of their finite time.

Enjoy your botnet. Don't pirate software, retard.

>It obviously isn't a good
It's obvious you've never switched operating systems. You buy once and play everywhere, even with the same savegames.
Only very successful store doing this.

Hey OP, firstly you should be launching steam with these args.

- -no-dwrite -vrskip -nocache -disable-winh264 -nobigpicture -windowed -720p -voice_quality 1 -clearbeta -silent -language english -no-browser

Also, make sure the system has no permissions to the packages folder in steam, it can't update that way. just need to restrict it the right way (no making it read only will not work)

it wont be forward compatible but steam will keep working past any updates this way

>It isn't a service.
>An actual service like a haircut or car repair requires someone using their finite time to do the service, if they want to do that service again then they have to use more of their finite time.
So they have no developers, UI designers, server maintainers, licensing teams etc using their time to provide a service to customers?
>It obviously isn't a good, and it isn't a service since once the system is set up it is automatic and relatively infinite.
Yes, data storage, servers, maintenance and money just appears out of thin air. Nothing goes into this.
>They need to get with the times and come up with a new term.
Cool. How about Digital Distribution Platform? Still a service. Still serves users.

You're fucking stupid.

Nice work user, this reply is far better than the morons going on about EULAs.

Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Why the fuck does Steam use Chromium?
With those billions of dollars in revenue, couldn't they create their own engine?

>it wont be forward compatible but steam will keep working past any updates this way
Wrong.
Steam services will detect you are using an older version and force you to update or remove the software.
Try it yourself, tard.

If you're on XP do an inplace upgrade from XP to Vista and then to W7.

If you're on Vista, then all you need to do is do an in place upgrade to W7.

My current W10 1809 started out as an XP installation that I just upgraded over the years, can't remember the last time I had to reformat my main computer. Heck I only needed to sysprep when going from AMD to Intel and then to AMD again over the years.

>being too dumb to pirate
I do that all thanks to piracy and backups and I don't have to give a donation to a company.
>So they have no developers, UI designers, server maintainers, licensing teams etc using their time to provide a service to customers?
You brainwashed drones can't eve differentiate between different segments of business. They are providing a service to a company, that doesn't mean the company is providing a service.
The """""service""""" being provided, what dumb fucks are paying for even though piracy exists, is infinite.
>Still a service
No it isn't.
Quit guzzling that cum.

Doesn't that totally screw up the registry and symlinks?

I just don't see why I should update from XP when I used a registry hack to continue getting updates and it works just fine.

>I do that all thanks to piracy and backups and I don't have to give a donation to a company.
Then why do you seem so upset about the people financing your habit?

Attached: 1535200899082.jpg (1200x1200, 108K)

Okay then kiddo, so when you subscribe to a cell provider, you're not subscribing to a service then?
They're just providing a service to a company. Gotcha.
It's all so infinite and without end that Steam will exist for all eternity without ever having to pay a dime because there are no customer, no service providers, no developers, there's just Steam. Steam exists and is eternal.
I suggest you use your search engine of choice to look up what Steam is, how it operates and what it's defined as.
Better yet, look up "list of Steam services".

can you run a vm of win10 inside of winXP?

it would be extremely painful

Holy shit, an actual intelligent user on Jow Forums?

>What year is it

holy shit a retard on Jow Forums that doesn't realise that this will only last until support for the old steamui is discontinued

oh wait not surprised at all.

>he rents games at the full retail purchase price
>gets upset when he inevitably gets screwed
Wow, who could have seen this coming?
You get what you deserve, OP.

wow whoms'tev wood of thonked

Install gentoo

You dont. You use w10 for DX12, security updates, and better support for modern features such as 4k and multimonitor.
They do work retard. any DRM free game from steam that runs on XP will run without steam.

Can't you just keep using the Steam version you currently have? AFAIK it doesn't forces you to update.

Attached: Bowsette 100.png (800x600, 394K)

Set steam to offline mode and never reconnect to the internet, that's your old option really.
Why would you expect spoofing your OS to work? It's obviously going to be broken on XP and Vista soon, otherwise they'd allow you to keep using it.
Like this user said, the servers will boot you off.

If you really can't stomach windows 10 then switch to Ubuntu. Proton works pretty well.

I still don't get why they thought it was a good idea to integrate chrome in the first place, they have more than enough resources to make their own shit

>new Steam chat will not be available
I'm already flagging that shit to give me the old one. Never asked for a bloated Discord interface where the clean Steam interface went.

Except you can still play those games. You just can't use the latest steam features.

Because they are killing gaming even further by paying for games.

Anything from Steam is inherently DRM
I blame GOG for the term DRM free meaning less and less every day.

Definitely Proton as it matures.
You never hear a vocal minority about not being "up to date" or on the latest version of a linux distro because there's no reason not to be or at least curate your updates.
Anything that would run on XP would definitely be a good candidate for already well running with Proton.

>couldn't they create their own engine?
Wow, what a good idea. One more thing for the audit pile.

Attached: standards.png (500x283, 24K)

it's one thing to write this or that in legalese inside an EULA, and it's an entirely different matter on whether such a document will be considered legally binding, in part or full, under scrutiny by a court of law. The only way to find out is to try unfortunately, which costs money.

you mean until Jan 1st, 2019 when the client will literally be rendered inoperable on those unsupported systems like it says in the OP?

This, there was no reason to create their own when a free (and good) solution already exists.
Same with proton being based on wine, no reason to start from the ground up. I doubt that starting from scratch would have resulted in a better product.

>REEEE why did they stop selling leaded fuel? When I bought this car it was guaranteed that I would be able to drive it
>No, I will not update my car to accept unleaded.

>food analogy

Actually made me giggle, thanks user.

Attached: 1530087646567.jpg (399x351, 67K)

If you're in the EU you can apply for a refund of any game effected by the change. Steam will give you a copyform response, but if you forward the Right of Withdrawal aswell as a statement of further pursuance in a court of law, your refund(s) will be approved. There's alot of bullshit in EU law, but when it comes to a corporation and your shekels, the EU has your back as a consumer.

Attached: MamaMerkel.jpg (1920x1080, 303K)