3rd year in CS

>3rd year in CS
>desperately need a 1 year break to do something else to put my mind elsewhere
>had to come up with some stupid reason to convince my uni to hold my studies, which they probably won't believe

How did you guys do it, how do you motivate yourself to study? I'm 26 years old and I'm getting older and older, and it's driving me insane.

Attached: 1520700980968.png (498x594, 122K)

Other urls found in this thread:

learncpp.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hi i am 38 years old and i start to learn html
not while ago.
its pretty awesome to know how to program and its quiet easy:P
i dont know why you crying about you fucking cunt.
not while ago.
not while ago.
not while ago.

Attached: images.png (241x209, 7K)

Get your fucking degree loser. Hope you're also doing side projects, if not enjoy doing webdev the rest of your shitty life.

I am 26 too.I barely finished highschool and I never went to college but I am doing well in life.I have a few friends who went to college and all of them had several nervous breakdowns.Now they work in bars and hotels in Western Europe for shit pay.

How are you 26 and only in 3rd year?

Hes the boomer mature age student who sits at the front and becomes best friends with the tutors with relatable small talk.

>get into a depression and stop learn
>come to Jow Forums with good hopes for advice >and support

Attached: 1539769009647s.jpg (225x225, 8K)

>25
>6th year of school
>100k debt
Just fucking finish. Find a hobby or fetish club on campus to keep you sane. I picked vidya, music and diapers

>25
>7 year to get a degree
>living with mum
>this is my 2nd week applying for jobs
No hobbies

why not use 100k to buy a flat and rent it out?americunts are insane

We are the same age, OP. I stopped coming to Jow Forums after lurking between 2010 to 2012.
I dropped out of college six years ago, taught myself enough Bash and Python to make money, started earning $40k and worked my way up to $65k a year with no degree.
All the time and money that would have gone to college? I buy and hoard Bitcoin. I'll probably be retired in about two years, given the track record of Bitcoin the past seven years.

Get your shit together OP. If you don't know how, at least save money and get yourself some assets.

24 here op. Currently on third year of my second degree, CS. You can do it.

23... Wtf I'm not 24 years old yet . Wtf was I thinking.

tfw I'm 25, graduated CS at 19 and already have years of experience under my belt

it's over old man

I'm in a similar spot OP.
>25 (26 in December) year old junior at State School
>No friends and have nothing in common with classmates who only care about vidya and anime
>Each class expects a shit load of work to be done outside of class time
>Work wage slave job on the weekends so that limits my free time more
>Basically just work and school and nothing else
>Didn't land an internship for summer 2019 which is just gonna make post graduation even harder

My motivation to keep going despite all of this is the fear of being poor forever, I come from a poor family and live pay check to pay check and it's soul crushing. I want to break the cycle. So use fear as a motivator senpai.

>Also doesn't hurt to have a supportive gf

Attached: 1529358034076.jpg (743x729, 154K)

if you are not willing to learn, then engineering is a pain in the ass.
you should reconsider your life. again

I dropped out at 24, because I found my first job as a developer. 4 years later I met a girlfriend, who screeched at me autistically until I re-enrolled. Then she screeched at me autistically some more until I had my thesis written. Last year I graduated, just before my 28th birthday. Now I'm doing my master courses on weekends.
You can do it too, op. There's more to life than studying. It all feels hopeless when studies are all you spend time on. Surprisingly, it gets much less depressing when it's just another thing on your schedule, and you need to juggle your work, studies and family life.

Keep up the hard work. You're (still) in a good spot. Use me as an example:

>41 yrs old
>Principal Software Engineer (full stack as fuck)
>CS drop out after 3rd year.
>Mediocre programmer but a jack of all trades, master of none with non-autistic tendencies.
>$135k/yr, comfy, no debt, travel alot, young gf
>If I could go back in time and be you, at 25yrs old, I would enjoy it immensely.
>You have so many cool/free tools at your disposal that I didn't have in university.
>I guess you also have much cooler distractions at your disposal too.
>my short, simple advice to you, learn many languages, work-out regularly, don't gayme, drink or fap excessively.
>Get good sleep (see work out regularly).
>Don't neglect the importance of math.
>I wish a 41yr old doomer told me this shit back in the day, I would be ahead of the game.

Attached: ywxyizc7g9o11.jpg (960x641, 117K)

Be a man and finish collegue user, your probabilities of having a less shitty life are bigger with a degree

Attached: watamote (1).jpg (500x325, 50K)

Not as big of a return. Investing in yourself is the best thing you can do.

Thanks chief

I just finished uni at 26, after a 4 year CS degree, I didn't really need to motivate myself because I knew if I failed that was pretty much it and I could end up in a dead end job, that being said though I didn't really feel a drop in motivation, I just kinda knew what I needed to do to get the grades I wanted and worked for it. When it came to exam time, I just bit the bullet and locked myself in a room and re-wrote my notes over and over pretty much doing 9am - 9pm days with breaks for food, the only motivation I really needed to keep me going was that the thought of walking into an exam hall and not knowing enough of the syllabus to answer 2/3 questions. In the end I walked away from uni with a First Class Honours degree and am now working as a developer for a small company that let me work from home when I want which is the sort of job I've always wanted.

18 year old college junior here. Take a break dude, but when you get back, dedicate a study place and time. Get a routine. You can do it

24, Comp Eng degree, I graduated a year and a half ago and basically did freelance and worked remote park time doing software development. Can I get a fulltime job with this experience? I may not have gotten the best job out of college but I have some experience to show for it now.

Attached: Screenshot_20180907-153324_Instagram.jpg (1440x1037, 721K)

You're in what, your second month of first year? No offense but you haven't even gotten your socks wet, kiddo. Come back and comment when you're in third or fourth year.

>freelance
>part-time development
doesn't mean shit. Look for intership in a corporation, quit after a year, then look for a real job.

>get into a depression and stop learn
>come to Jow Forums with good hopes for advice and support

Attached: 1526561170172.jpg (960x960, 57K)

>college junior

Where can I get support?
t. trying to get back into uni after 7 years of NEETdom

If you can't even complete a meme-degree that take up 20 hours per week, how are you going to make it in real life?

Tell them you are having mental health issues and need a break. In Sweden you are pretty much free to go as you please.

What do you mean by "meme" degree? Is it considered easy or what?

My friends who are doing engineering studies and mathematics respectively put significantly more time into their studies than i do.

I have no idea if it is considered "easy" but certainly easier than most other science degrees not to mention med or lawschool(time spent rather than complexity).

Didn't you have a lot of math too?

I took a semester off to work manual labor at my city's street Dept. Made some good money, reset my mindstate, and the uni doesn't care if you miss one semester.

>3rd year in CS
>Loving my studies, most my profs are great smart people who are passionate about computing, had a beer with one at the local pub talking about repairing his BBC Micro, finally away from school pressures and tons of free time as long as i meet the coursework deadlines, make some friends and have my first romantic relationship in years, finish up the majority of my transition, get into photography, philosophy, electronics as a hobby, write side-projects in C#, Java, JS, Bash, Powershell, Python and Ruby, even got some xp of Unity3D and Unity2D for vidya.
>Realise i have no work experience and need to get a job at the end of my studies so i can stay in the country and not go back to my nowheretown in putinland
>Get a paid 25k a year internship doing basically nothing except converting some old database shit and comparing numbers on excel sheets
>sweet.jpg
>the 9 to 5 starts settling in
>no free time to do anything anymore, feels like my brain is rotting away every time i look at SQL queries, Alteryx or have to run some VB macro
>this is how most of my life is probably gonna be after uni
>mfw

Studying was so cool, it was like my brain was constantly engaged and learning new things and understanding stuff, i felt like with each hour i have become a better person than i was in every way, now i'm just rotting away and i'm only 20 years old, i've been employed for three weeks now and i can't get used to it, i just want to kms, uni gives you that intellectual freedom and i'd basically do anything at this point to get it back, humans weren't meant to be sitting away doing the same thing every day, we're all meant to be artists one day, mathematicians another, scientists another and so on, it's not fair dammit!

Attached: wojak-suicide-57fbf34784a46.jpg (1059x962, 312K)

there's a big difference between the math needed for cs and grad level math.

>I'll probably be retired in about two years, given the track record of Bitcoin the past seven years.

Attached: nmQEY.jpg (1567x978, 118K)

Just get a job at Mickey D's, it's where you belong.

I guess educational programs vary from country to country.
Can you recount fields of math that you learned in your cs degree?

Depends on your strengths and how theoretical your uni's CS program is.

I did 1.5 years of chem eng before I decided I hated it, and ended up with CS + Math minor. I had done most of the math pre-reqs for chem eng, and they were generally pretty easy applied courses. Identify the problem, apply the algorithm, boom. Whereas the CS degree was pretty theoretical, and I had to do a lot of proofs (and even more on top of that with a math minor). So personally, at least at my school, I found CS much harder. I did about 30-40 hrs a week of study (didn't go to lectures, though, waste of time), a bit more before finals, and got mostly straight As. However, with some of the extra math courses I took, I could tell a math degree would probably be the pinnacle of difficulty. Then again, some people are great at proofs, but shit at applied so maybe they'd find CS easy?

I don't understand your question. You think everyone is 22-23 years old?

stop samefagging, autist

>tfw too dumb for college
I'll still be flipping burgers at 40, I know it.

>18 year old neet who finished his education through a sketchy online couse
>reasonably inteligent (abova average from my country), performed well in the state tests
>but im shit at math and my strogsuit is velbal intelligence
>parets expect me to study computer engeeniring
i wanted to study philosophy but i don't want to die from hunger, why is capitlism sketched towards the math proficient?

Attached: 1518025978285.gif (400x290, 2M)

>3rd year in SE
>Failed 3 courses last year because I was depressed and had no will to learn and no time to myself
>Took a lighter load of courses which frees up my time to cook more, spend time with my gf, work on side projects, take online courses etc.

I've been working as a software intern every summer since grade 11 but I've had a major burnout since uni.
My best advice to you is to have a proper work/life balance. If that means taking less courses or a year off, go for it. If you're already a depressed fuck, I recommend you don't take a year off because you might do nothing and go into a downward spiral. Go exercise, eat right, fuck often, get a hobby etc. Just know you're not meant to follow anyone's timeline or schedule. Go on your pace so you don't burnout.

Tell your uni it's mental health reasons, unis usually care about that shit. Do side projects in relation to your degree but also make what you like. Take care of yourself above all else, otherwise you're gonna be asking for advice here and I believe the noose is a better option. Good luck OP.

I'm 37 and dropped out after third year biochem. I got burnt out trying to study Neuroscience on the side then disillusioned that I would actually be able to research and not write grant proposals. Now I'm back switching to env sci and had two years to finish up. At least I can do it online and spend time with my toddler and newborn

>studying cybersecurity at a batshit crazy christian college
>i already know more than the seniors know and i'm the "go-to guy" for lignux and *bsd stuff
>end of the year comes around
>fail half my shit
>go back to see why
>religious shit
>go on gap year to do my own shit
>end up making $90k/yr with no degree and a couple certs, most of my shit is based on experience
>don't work for anyone except myself
guess who i am montreat faggots

that's based.

Cybersecurity is a great field if you commit to it and get the right certs. I might go into that if I'm not gonna go for quant dev, AI consulting or some shit.

Well I am and I'm finishing my uni this year. Explain what you did the past 6 years

Not him but maybe he's been working and/or studying something else, like a trade for example.

Thank you

Not him but my story:

>finish HS
>lazy as fuck, don't really care about anything
>my province has a tiered HS system where you
take certain level of course based on whether you want to go to college, uni, or go straight to work
>take all the college level (easy) courses even though I'm capable cause I think I don't wanna go to uni
>sign up for IT course in college
>don't do a thing, have to drop out after one semester cause I'm just not into it
> spend a few years working shit call centre IT jobs
>do lots of degenerate shit like drugs and just all around waste my life
>get into synthesizers
>as I try to understand how they work, realize maybe I missed out by not learning math
>go back to adult high school and basically redo the last year and a half to get university-bound courses done
>decide to go to university at 24 for chem eng
>fucking hate it after 1.5 years
>transfer to CS
>finish degree
>now 31 and looking for a job

Basically, some people are fuck ups and waste their youth, like me.

because everyone other than the smoothbrains can draw pretty pictures and use pretty words.

why did this give me a boner

Shit, at least you finished something

Kek, thanks. Might as well put that on my gravestone at this point.

Not everyone is a spoiled brat like you who has no other obligations.

Some other people have a family before they study or other time consuming obligations. Also some people never had parents and no money and have to fight to survive.

Only rich kids who get everything they want from their parents can finish their degree fast. If you have a huge burden you need more time. Also being faster with your degree means shit.

Now
>what is your degree?
>what is your gpa?
>have you done everything yourself or have you plagiarized anything?
>how many languages do you speak? (not pc languages)
>have you a drivers licence?

The most important question is:
>How many of your professors were impressed of you?
I know a lot of people who finished their studies with a great degree, but were complete NPCs. The professors never really said something to them and they were just one out of million. There is a huge difference between a "degree" of paper and a degree of quality.

Professors are the worst people on earth if you want to hear positive things. They have no time and they are the real test you have to master if you want to be one of the best and not just a name on a paper.

What kind of pussy are you?
I'm a depressed virgin sack of human garbage, I have no passion in life, I'm fucking tired of programming 24/7, my eyes hurt but I would never take a "break" to put my mind at ease. And not 1 year, what the fuck man, you can't be that pathetic. You do realize that 99% of the world have it much harder than you, a lot of people would kill someone to get in your situation. You don't get a "break" for studies. You get a 1 year break when you're a 10 years long fresco close to losing it. Come on get your shit together user, seriously, pick up your laptop, go to uni and stfu, do it for fresco.

Attached: 1534860186788.png (800x800, 29K)

> 26, need a break

How delusional are you to think life gets EASIER after school. You're on fucking easy mode right now scrub. Should have done this shit when you were 18.

You should probably end it now if you think your version of playing the university game is any better than someone else's. You can excel outside of classes with networking and making connections, but inside of class, you are just another piece of meat for the grinder, no matter how how you work (as an undergrad).

Stupid fucking mistakes man
>Two weeks ago, first interview excellent
>technical interview, fail to name some of the concepts the girl mentions, fail to create a hello world in java
>Today, skype interview with qt3.14, spaghetti my way through the end of it. unconsciously lie about my internship experience
>1hr ago, another first interview excellent, they schedule a technical interview at 7pm
>tomorrow I have an in site interview, nervous af

Help :[

Did you literally not know how to do Hello World in java? How is that possible? Not trying to be a dick, even for spaghetti that's pretty extreme. It's literally remember definition of main and one line for printing.

Yup, I haven't touch java in a year or so, stupid web development

Ahh, that's fair. Your mistake was just syntax. It's pretty dumb if interviewers hold that against you. I've learned a handful of languages over the years, but I'm only gonna have a solid memory of something I used in the past few months.

Asking for Hello World in general is pretty retarded, or even tying you down to one language for the interview. "I don't remember how Java does it, but I use a print method in main to print a string" should be good enough.

bulllshit, most of the people cant even begin to appreciate beauty, let alone write something beautiful, if anything math isnt impresive because even computers can do it

I'm only 2nd year studying Cyber Security and there can be some fucking horrendous days where I'm fighting with myself to get out of bed and be productive, but despite sickness, unwillingness and being fed up with life some days, I still fucking push through to learn shit because its what drives me.
If you're wanting a year off your degree, I don't think you've got it in you. If you're saying that your getting older is driving you insane, why waste a year of your life getting even older? I don't understand the logic here.
Investigate some roles in computing deeper. Take a look at Web Dev, Software Dev, Cyber Security, Games Dev even. Don't take a year off, it'll make your situation worse.

Attached: 1527803957266.jpg (249x249, 7K)

not your man or anyone else, but my answers as another brat thats had it fairly ez:
degree: Comp Sci
gpa: 3.75
done it myself: met some great fellas that are smart and help me with bullying when i dont grasp concepts
languages: english, spanish, latin, learning russian
license: yes, and im an organ donor

Big boy question: a couple were impressed, but more importantly, enough of them like me as a person because most cs cant talk to anyone, let alone (((females))). tldr, less impressed, more connections and networking.

Attached: woolad.png (224x269, 84K)

the most important parts of math are those that computers cant do because we havent figured out how yet. Computer Science is centered around the conversion of mathematical algorithms and proofs to a digital realm

I feel like I'm gonna be OP in a few years. I'm in the junior year of my degree and I just don't have the motivation because I hate formal education. We're doing some web scraping bullshit in one of my classes; I could finish the assignment in like an hour but I'd rather just sit here and watch YouTube videos. I can't stay productive for more than a day, and I can't study for things that I need to study for. How do people do it?

Coming back to comment since I'm year 3 right now (junior). Still sticking to a routine and still dedicating the library as a work spot where I feel guilty slacking off. So far it's worked like a charm.

>If you are not an engineer by 24 you are an absolute failure at life
What kind of retarded and spoiled child mentality is this?
Some people have to pay for their shit and can't study full time.
What about the people who don't have degree? or have non-stem degress? are they also failures at life?
OP, life is not a rat race, don't fall for that meme and enjoy your youth while balancing responsibilities as best as you can.

>OP, life is not a rat race, don't fall for that meme and enjoy your youth while balancing responsibilities as best as you can
This is actually great and wholesome advice. As long as you're working towards a goal, how long it takes hardly matters.

samefag

This () isn't me.

Dumb zoomer

what if you die of old age before you achieve your goal

At my uni in Germany you can basicaly study as lobg as you want. I just took semesters off whenever I had to.

Ur dumb. You only have 2 years left. 2 years is nothing.

USA is weird, in europe no graduate would do an internship, it actually makes you look worse.

Found the zoomer

Attached: A1A34A9E-C0E8-4A79-AF17-610C2217A27F.gif (652x562, 392K)

nigga you got time to get an internship wtf don't give up

>How did you guys do it, how do you motivate yourself to study?
Finland here, we can't take years off. Study time also capped at 7 years. Motivation is bullshit, pakko is pakko.

>take advice from me I'm miserable and so is my life
No thanks

Unironically cocaine.

Everyone dies anyway. It's how you experience life that matters.

If you simply cannot study/dont feel passion for something, you once did, it might be wise to change careers or consider something different.
I always wanted to direct and write, but am currently stuck in CS myself
Im sure i can finish the aforementioned degree if i apply myself, but i simply have medium to none interest in pursuing it as my career

Attached: selfie.jpg (480x360, 17K)

I doubt he is struggling to finish because of concentration, but due to lack of understanding of what he is doing with his life

>Finish a 4 year CS degree
>Have nothing waiting for me outside of Uni
>4 months have gone by
>I'm learning C++ for the first time and OOC
>Can't even use functions properly
t. 25

Attached: 1540170054020.png (600x350, 163K)

I was referencing his need for motivation. Cocaine makes you feel motivated.

A lot of adderall.

How the fuck did you not learn C++ and OOC over a 4 year CS curriculum? What the fuck?

I've learned more from learncpp.com/ in the past few days than I did in the 4 years I studied.

leave him alone

I also had to take a few months break during my studies. Really nothing wrong with that as long as you can still financially support yourself. YOLO, friend.

US unis barely teach anything at all.

At first I thought you meant a club for your fetish and wondered what kind of university you went to

I went to an English one, user.

But you're not the guy who didn't learn C++ in 4 years, right? I'm trying to say, it's perfectly normal for people not to know C++ after graduating. I've introduced several people to templates and gdb in their third year. They did "well' in their classes, too.

Yeah, I'm that same guy.