Former Oculus CEO Brendan Iribe Departs Facebook

techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus-co-founder-is-leaving-facebook-after-cancellation-of-rift-2-headset/

>Oculus basically pulling the plug on High-end PC VR
>Head of PC VR leaves
shit. facebook is going all out with standalone headsets.

Attached: file.png (1024x591, 491K)

Other urls found in this thread:

web.archive.org/web/20181022181606/https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus-co-founder-is-leaving-facebook-after-cancellation-of-rift-2-headset/
youtube.com/watch?v=24tgC72PxlA
youtube.com/watch?v=v7atNopOJLY#t=7m40s
youtube.com/watch?v=daMmjNodOJ0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I wish they wouldn't. The high end stuff is far more interesting.

>Everything touched by Facebook turns to shit
Wow. Who knew?

name a bigger meme than virtual reality

3D televisions

Kek, VR headsets are exactly the same thing. The only difference is that instead of wearing glasses you have to wear a ridiculous helmet

Internet of Things

G-sync/Freesync

No fucking shit high-end VR is dead. Not enough people have spare rooms to make use of it and the ones who do typically would rather collect rent than leave them vacant for a gimmick that they use once a month at most.

Attached: 1526886845729.png (1027x563, 571K)

Trump.

web.archive.org/web/20181022181606/https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus-co-founder-is-leaving-facebook-after-cancellation-of-rift-2-headset/

use archive you retart

It maybe a meme, but it is quite fun. I do hate to see it die.

>I do hate to see it die
Don't worry, it's like 3D. It dies and comes back regularly

Hyperthreading

DSLRs

This actually works and is beneficial.

Real time ray tracing in gayming

Desktop vr is expensive and clunky, has very small addressable market.

In what world is 400 dollars expensive?

>He thinks VR requires a room

see

Depends on the game your playing but in most cases, yes, you need a dedicated room for VR. If you aren't using one then your experience must be limited and some people are okay with wasting their money like that.

Reality

3D TVs were just a cheap visual effect; VR is on another level. My guess is you've never actually tried VR before.

>you need a dedicated room for VR
fuck that noise

with the newest Vive or Windows headsets you have in headset tracking, which means you can play everything sitting down on a couch or desk like regular games. You just need controls with analog sticks to guide aiming along with the motion controls in front of you

Most actual VR games (shooters etc) don't require you to have a room, and most won't in the future either. Room-scale VR is the meme of the VR world.

Mate, if your character model is standing, so are you; you're not sitting down unless you unironically get off to being nauseous

>if your character model is standing, so are you
You're retarded. VR is stil just a floating camera in a game world. It doesn't matter the relative height to the ground you dumb asshole.

If you're playing a game that requires you to move your arms while standing, you will need a dedicated room unless your bedroom is barren. If the game you're playing only requires you to have a headset on and you play sitting down then no, you don't need a room for that.

You know u can just use it in your bedroom right? I wish I had a spare room too but it's not like vr suddenly doesn't work just because you can't walk around in the physical world.

>that requires you to move your arms while standing
name one game that requires I move my hands behind my back

I just want VR as an immersive monitor replacement. I don't want motion controllers. I don't want room-scale full-body action. I just want to sit at my desk and play games as I already do. Adapting full game titles to VR in this fashion would not be as much work, only the player camera and UI. Instead we have gimmicky games that nobody plays more than 30 minutes, and they have given up developing any advanced techniques like eye tracking and foveated rendering that would lower the barrier of entry. Yes, yes, motion sickness, but nobody seems to cite that as a reason anymore, suspiciously.

Attached: 2012-07-29_21.46.40.png (1680x1028, 2.57M)

Of course you can use it in your bedroom, you will just have a severely diminished experience.
I never said anything about putting your arms behind your back. Can you tell me why you are bringing it up?

>VR is on another level
Clearly, you can play video games in 480p

It was the plan from the start.

Can't have people playing video games all day long, they need to be doing social media and watching videos full of targeted ads.

>Can you tell me why you are bringing it up?
because in-headset tracking works perfectly find so long as your hands are in front of your body. There is full motion control tracking except if you move the controllers behind your back

please provide a single example of a VR game that requires me to either
a) physically spin around 180 degree or more
b) move my arms around my back

any game that requires motion tracking can be playing sitting down with a headset that has built in motion tracking in front of me. Prove me wrong
this, I saw a Vive at dave and busters and it was like sitting with my face glued to a tube tv playing a ps2 game back when I was a kid. No thanks

Fully agree.

3D printing

exactly this

>I just want VR as an immersive monitor replacement.
This this and THIS

Protip: I can't

>occulus kill
>vive dependent on valve getting their thumbs out of their asses

PC VR is dead.

Intel 10 nm

DELID THAT!

OCULUS IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

It does for your body you absolute retard; being at a different height level compared to the camera's perspective will fuck with you and make you nauseous I can tell you've never worn a VR headset before.

>it was like sitting with my face glued to a tube tv

That's pretty interesting because VR headsets simulate space and distance. So was your face glued to a tv in vr or are you just talking out of your ass again because you never tried vr?

I can't believe the amount of retards in this thread who haven't even done the most basic of research and try to act like they understand the entire experience.

Are you really trying to pretend that VR isn't absolute visual garbage at the current resolutions?

>The consumer edition Rift uses a 2160 x 1200 resolution, working at 233 million pixels per second, with a 90Hz refresh rate.
>The Vive Pro sports a 2,880 x 1,600 resolution on a dual-OLED display, up from the Vive's 2,160 x 1,200 resolution.
PSVR is 1080
These resolutions and refresh rates are more than capable of creating telepresence.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about?

Yes, I'm talking about a dead technology

Facebook already made a statement saying gen 2 PCBR is happening, and Iribe tweeted saying techcrunch misreported, and it was his prototype project that got canned not gen2. Gen 2 is probably halfdome as Iribe's project was rumoured to be for a 19/20 release whereas halfdome for 21/22.

So it's confirmed you don't know what you're talking about. Not only have you provided factually inaccurate statements and data, you're unable to further argue any valid points against the technology. Thank you for accepting the loss, GG

Remember when /v/ had a meltdown because Fuckerbook bought Oculus? Remember when everyone said Oculus was doomed?

Post a pic of your VR headset, shill

FINALLY THE VR MEME IS DEAD

>hurr durr you must obviously be a shill for proving me wrong
Your autistic screeching isn't going to get you anywhere.

>He can't
That's what I thought. I'll totally trust your opinion that VR now looks good

>YFW you didn't fall for the VR meme

>provides grossly inaccurate information about current hardware capabilities
>gets called out
>still in denial
Keep screeching, friend.

You're retarded, if you have decent hardware you can render the same scenes onto VR displays as those on a regular monitor, at 1600p across such small viewports it's obviously not going to look like shit you mongoloid.

Pic related is driveclub at 1080 on the PSVR; using more powerful hardware from an actual desktop rig and a better headset, you can achieve much greater visual fidelity.

Forgot pic

Attached: 1530824055372.jpg (1920x1080, 340K)

It's alright user. You're not the first VR shill to get exposed so

Yeah too bad this user just eternally BTFO you
Seriously anyone looking at this thread right now thinks you're a fucking retard.

>This pic is supposed to look good
You can't possibly be serious

>fully detailed and physically modeled 3D world with 1080 textures
>hurr I don't think this looks good

It's not the 480 you claimed it to be retard, eternally BTFO.

being alive

>>Oculus basically pulling the plug on High-end PC VR
I don't think this is true.

It's not, was already rebutted in the thread.

You know what the pic looks like?
Racing games on the PS3 fat from a decade ago.

>360° Motion-tracked Shitposting on Jow Forums

No it doesn't.

Attached: 1512960411879.jpg (1920x1080, 839K)

Games look completely different in VR than on a monitor, I was impressed by HL2 graphics almost 2 decades old just because of presence, the games we're getting now look fucking amazing, especially Elite Dangerous.

Of course you chose the worst one.
Try Burnout Paradise, shill

Anyone else's only gripe with VR the screen door effect? I have a Vive and fucked around with a friends PSVR, the way the pixels are arranged by Sony really helps despite the lower res, but its still there. I feel VR won't be a thing until your able to read 12 point text at arms length. I mean fuck, Playing Flight sims with all the tiny guages is cancer along with it being near impossible to visually spot enemy aircraft beyond a 600 meters and differentiate them from the void between the pixels. I also feel there needs to be some level of eye tracking and gyro movement of the display to make reading more natural instead of having to turn your head with the text to maintain focus.

Attached: Hey.jpg (95x131, 12K)

Still doesn't.

Attached: 1529698728754.jpg (1280x720, 109K)

Are you ever going to get tired of being BTFO?

Yes it does

>Those """""""VR""""""" games where it's just a movie theater and a normal screen showing the game.

Attached: 23436342.png (521x558, 627K)

That is not what Driveclub looks like on PSVR.
youtube.com/watch?v=24tgC72PxlA

Attached: psvr.jpg (1280x720, 195K)

Ok, forget what I said. It looks like PS2 now

>taking a high-motion screenshot from a compressed youtube upload
Fuck off retard.

Are you retarded? This was taken from a compressed video. Or are you so technologically inept you don't understand that any game with lots of motion is going to look like shit when passed through a compression algorithm?

>screenshot from a youtube video
brainlet detected

You must be blind, there is a clear difference in the polygon count of the surrounding environment models and a clear difference between the texture resolution sizes between the two games. Right now you are so in denial that you are purposely abating physical realities to try and cope with your brainlet opinion.

>high-motion screenshot from a compressed youtube upload
the absolute state of Jow Forums

>all posts 1 minute apart
Gee I wonder who could be behind this. You can easily see all the low polygon models from the video.

youtube.com/watch?v=v7atNopOJLY#t=7m40s
This guy playing it on the PS4 pro. "It looks like a mess... blurry... the aliasing jaggies".

>multiple people disagree with me they must be samefags
Imagine screeching this autistically.

More like the actual state of /v/ crossboarders.

Imagine having no argument and still thinking you're in the right and then getting angry and replying three times to the same post because someone criticized a brand you're a fan of.

I thought I wanted that too, until I actually tried it and came to the conclusion that it isn't really that compelling or worth the hassle and image quality drop. Maybe in the future when headset FoV can actually cover the full human FoV, resolution is so high that you don't see the screen door effect and small text is clearly readable, but at this point the addition of 3D isn't worth the sacrifices in other areas.

The thing is though, that motion controllers are totally worth it. Playing Serious Sam or Doom while actually "holding" your weapons is really fucking amazing, that's what makes current VR worth the hassle. The depth perception alone isn't enough to offset the inconvenience.

Here's a screenshot of a still scene in 1080p

Attached: 1.png (1600x900, 545K)

>driveclub
As someone who owns a Vive, Oculus and PSVR, this game does actually look like shit. It is probably the worst example of VR looking good. Project CARS does it 10x better. Elite Dangerous and Superhot look pretty good too. See pic for a single viewport screenshot of CARS, looks 10x better.

I'm retarded and forgot to upload pic.

Attached: 1532602008667.png (1100x687, 218K)

>streamer/tuber image in top right
So you also took this from a compressed video upload. Good job retard.

As someone who was working in a store that sells several VR headsets (including the PSVR), we were able to use them on a regular basis to showcase them to the customers.
I don't know where your picture is from, but you're full of shit.

youtube.com/watch?v=daMmjNodOJ0

kek

>including the psvr
Yes, the most underpowered headset out of all of them, somehow that must be specifically mentioned for inclusion. You're talking out of your ass.