What is the purpose of a global menu? I always hear how they give you more screen real estate, but that's not true...

What is the purpose of a global menu? I always hear how they give you more screen real estate, but that's not true. It takes up no more space than a window-bound menu, and if an app has no menu then it becomes literal wasted space. Seems really unpractical to me.

Attached: Screen-Shot-2017-04-18-at-18.25.19.png (664x371, 69K)

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.gnome.org/aday/2018/10/09/farewell-application-menus/
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I find them really annoying too, especially when used in conjunction with a bottom dock.

I think it looks good :^)

Attached: Christina.png (1080x1920, 2.11M)

It saves space when 2 or more windows are stacked vertically.
You're right that in most cases it won't be used.

I personally like it though. Since I don't use a dock, the space isn't wasted because the window menu shares the same space as the clock and tray icons. And it just looks better than integrated menus.

Consistency.

For most users it's nice to know the menu bar will always be in the same place.

On gnome it doesn't save much space because the title bars are already fucking retardedly huge. On xfce or KDE it actually saves screen space. I wish it worked on Arch + Xfce, but it doesn't. The one OSes that use xfce + global menu correctly are xubuntu and Fedora Xfce Spin.

to help wasting more space because huge padding is not enough for gnome devs and gnome autistic users

Attached: 0c0f667734049c621dd818080b3f35c839711c235cd976278ac14ec82b69d9c7.jpg (406x364, 31K)

Gnome is straddling some sort of in between for desktop and tablet design, and as a result of tablet interface logic, that uniform bar saves space. No one use gnome on tablets or phones though...

ITT: GNOME devs try to temper expectations ahead of the removal of global menus

Yea Gnome 3 was designed with touch screens as a priority. Even with 2 in 1 laptops, not many people really use the touch screen.

gnome could actually be good with only a sidebar dock and hamburger menus for the apps, no need for the lame top panel

Attached: 0.jpg (880x1024, 87K)

You can't make sense of gnome 3.

It prevents menubar redundancy when having two windows of the same program open and on macOS, it gives applications a space to run in when no windows open without crowding the system tray with a needless icon.

Also, it's super easy to mouse for. I don't have to think about its location at all, even when windows aren't maximized… just fling my cursor at the approximate horizontal menu location and it'll be there, don't even have to look. Instead I can keep reading or move my eyes to the next target while my cursor is en route. Additionally, the fixed locations of the open menu themselves takes advantage of our strong spatial memory capabilities.

I don't know about GNOME, but macOS has had an option to auto-hide the menubar for a couple releases now, so "it takes more space" really doesn't work as an argument.

>hurdur gnome's titlebars
they're unironically comfy

you know what really saves space? F11

it's just a thing to justify the otherwise useless top bar

I don't like Gnome headerbars when they're empty and only show a title (they should collapse to regular titlebar size), but when they serve as titlebar + toolbar combos they're great. There's absolutely no reason for titlebars and toolbars to be separate.

As far as Gnome UI being huge, a *lot* of that can be attributed to Adwaita. Most decent third-party themes slim down the UI considerably.

>I don't like Gnome headerbars when they're empty and only show a title
i don't agree

>they should collapse to regular titlebar size
and what would that be?
you know size is theme defined right?

Consistency, it shrinks the learning curve for end users.

I've seem the same effects with docks, and nowadays you can pretty much hide both.

>>I don't like Gnome headerbars when they're empty and only show a title
>i don't agree
i mean you're free to not like them but they shouldn't change because of that

use Arc

Look what you did
blogs.gnome.org/aday/2018/10/09/farewell-application-menus/

[spoiler]i like it[/spoiler]