Why do so many developers use MBPs?

Why do so many developers use MBPs?
Why do you program on a MBP?
What are your thoughts on software development on a MBP?

I can't decide whether to pull the trigger on a MBP or XPS 13.

Attached: 310px-MacOS_Mojave_Desktop.jpg (310x194, 11K)

You cannot virtualize OSX properly, so instead you run that on metal and run windows and linux in virtual machines.
As a bonus you get iOS development.
It's the only way to do actual multiplatform development, even if it's only so because Apple forces people into the walled garden.

because MBPs reduce eye strain

name a single laptop that doesn't give eye burns

>glossy display
>reducing eye strain
Haha, no.

>Why do so many developers use MBPs?
Don't know.

>Why do you program on a MBP?
It's a comfy laptop with good battery life. I usually ssh to my workstation though.

>What are your thoughts on software development on a MBP?
If you develop for a xcode/clang environment or for iOS, it's quite nice. If you want to do Linux development on a Mac, you're better of working remotely desu.

>You cannot virtualize OSX properly
yes you can

>Don't know.
It just seems odd to me, obviously I'm missing something. (I've never used one before, mostly just because I've never been able to afford one.)

You even see seas of MBP users at hacking events so there must be some merit there. A cursory search online and it appears that many people like them because of the terminal, which can't be the whole story; you could just put a Linux distro on basically anything else.

you do realize that it's a retina display, right?

No other laptops have retina...

Fuck off with your shill threads

Why would you buy something you aren't allowed to fix or upgrade?

Emphatically not a shill thread, I'm researching like a good little consumer piggy.

This is something I find I care less and less about. I do the same thing with my car now too: chuck it at someone else and let them sort it out.

>seething over the fact that the best artists, programmers and designers all use Macs while you're still clinging on to your anime-riced thinkpad with a shitty TN display

Attached: 1456480205149.gif (512x338, 2.07M)

Are you a woman by any chance?

MacOS. It's reliable UNIX.

Not legally in larger instances.
from the Apple SLA of Mojave:
Permitted Uses

(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software
within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is
already running the Apple Software, for purposes of: (a) software development; (b) testing during
software development; (c) using macOS Server; or (d) personal, non-commercial use.

AKA you cant use more than two VMS at one time on per MacOS license And it has to be virtualized on Apple Hardware!
So unless you want to make a Laptop Cluster your will break the law...

Attached: 1533753397183.jpg (768x893, 184K)

Developers have actual jobs. They don't spend the majority of their day trying to justify using crap hardware and software on a Laotian flare gun forum.

They need a product in which they spend more time working on and less time trying to figure the umpteenth problem with Linux or shoddy build quality.

>I do the same thing with my car now too: chuck it at someone else and let them sort it out.
Someone else isn't allowed to fix your Macbook either. Only Apple and AASPs are allowed to fix it, and they'll charge you more than it would cost to buy a new machine.

oh yeah i knew that but who cares about their shitty licensing

>(I've never used one before, mostly just because I've never been able to afford one.)
My employer bought the one I have.

>You even see seas of MBP users at hacking events so there must be some merit there
It's just a comfy machine with decent battery life and a casing that doesn't break if you look at it oddly.

>A cursory search online and it appears that many people like them because of the terminal, which can't be the whole story; you could just put a Linux distro on basically anything else.
As I said, I do all my stuff on a Linux box anyway, but I like having a UNIX desktop that doesn't break as often as Gnome does for me.

I'm a developer and I use an MBP as my primary dev machine since 2011.

>Why?
Because I want a *nix based OS that can also run Photoshop and Sketch

>Why PS and Sketch?
Because I'm primarily a front-end developer that occasionally does design.

>Why not GIMP?
I'm not 15 years old anymore

>Why would you buy something you aren't allowed to fix or upgrade?
Because it's a tool. I use it for 2 years, while warranty lasts, and then buy a new one. I get paid enough and have budgeted approx. 4000$ for a new machine every two years. My employer covers that through my salary.

>But why?
I want Wi-Fi to work, I want all peripherals to work, I want sound and camera to work. It's a tool, if it doesn't work, I don't make money. Just a safe bet

>Why not Windows?
I'm a node.js/react.js programmer, not something that was built with Windows in mind

>Other reasons?
Superb font rendering support, retina displays, iOS support - I take on React Native gigs all the time, because there are so many devs that use shitty 400$ laptops and 100$ Android phones.

>Are you virtue signaling?
No. It's a tool that I budget for, same as carpenters and dentists do.

it´s because your not are developer.
The trackpad offers tons of gestures that add functionality and make unnecessary need USB mouses. Time Machine - what a wonderful, life saving application.
Git, Node, NPM, Heroku, and other are always software for OSX first.
Mac are equally good for Web development. So both are good enough till u have specific needs like IOS Development (in which case Mac is only choice)

>Laotian flare gun forum
That's my daily lol out of the way, thanks.

Great response, thanks for your views and experiences.

There are faggots everywhere

>This is something I find I care less and less about. I do the same thing with my car now too: chuck it at someone else and let them sort it out.
This. At some point your time is too valuable to degrade yourself by playing a mechanic.

pajeets say the same about C or Haskell

this

>pajeets say the same about C or Haskell
Doesn't make it right, now does it.

pajeets say the same about C or Haskell

sorry, the previous reply wasn't for you

If u use macOS u focus on tasks and not on endless unprofit configuration

Why do shit in the street?

> pajeets say the same about C or Haskell
So bad they are right

Got a non-asspain solution or a downloadable working virtual machine?

>No. It's a tool that I budget for, same as carpenters and dentists do.

Finally a correct fucking answer. You are worthy to birth my manbabbys. Poast boipucci?

A few grand for a tool/tools isn't shit if you use them to make money. It's common for mechanics to have twenty grand or more in tools and equipment. I have that much as a hobbyist/DIYer and it more than paid for itself years ago, even the mill, lathe and welders.

Because software development has gone from a respectable career path for grown men to a get rich quick scam propped up by fags.
>Why do you program on a MBP?
I don't. MacBooks are literally the worst of the worst chinkshit that costs $2000 and is impossible to repair.
>What are your thoughts on software development on a MBP?
Literally worthless unless you're developing for Applel's ecosystem. It has GCC, Bash, and other *nix tools I can just run on Linux for like 1/5 the cost.

Attached: stallman.jpg (241x209, 7K)

True...

>when you have single digit IQ but somehow managed to make it onto the internet