Are any of you gonna get the librem 5...

Are any of you gonna get the librem 5? It looks pretty cool and you can run a whole gnu/linux OS instead of a shitty android OS. It respects your privacy. The only thing is that it's pricey at $600. I could get a chink xiaomi phone with better specs at way less price, and install a shitty android LineageOS.

Attached: librem5-distros-1024x683-768x512.png (768x512, 110K)

It's dead on arrival

but they almost doubled their fundraiser goal

Only thing holding me back are the shitty specs. Ill wait for other people to buy it and review it and maybe wait for the first revision if its successful enough. Its a shame copperheadOS went kaput.

>archlinux on phone
>try to call mom for more tendies
>xorg broke again
>can't even cancel my meetings
>but at least i know how my phone works

To this day, I have no idea why they didn't think using a custom Snapdragon without integrated radio, which Qualcomm sells, was a good idea, and went with the i.MX8. Freedreno wasn't a dump of a driver, and the performance relative to other ARM chipmakers is why their chips dominate the mobile market.

Heck yes homey.

I LIKE android.

If it fails at least LineageOS will have an easy time with this one.

Are there any OS for it that can install APK files? I don't know why people don't just use AOSP

it'll fail because so called idealistic freetards are really just cheapskates who don't like paying for things and use proprietariness as an excuse.

IDK why you fuck nuggets even discuss this device or shit like it
Most of you are never going to buy it.
Of those who do buy it they are going right back to whatever they where using before after a few months at the most.

why don't you just go email them and ask?
I'll buy it when release is imminent, not before.

Cannot speak for others, but I'm deffy paying top dosh for it, homeskillet.

They already explained it was due to GPU drivers in one of their blog posts but the explanation still leaves one thinking and I am not going to inquire further in a product that I won't buy given the hardware decision is final and won't be changed.

I can't really get excited about it since it's still just another consumption-oriented touchscreen slab Facebook toy no matter what crappy operating system it runs.

It's pretty much just an expensive fashion accessory for wannabe privacy activist freetards that want to pretend they're doing something without actually doing anything as they continue to carry around a radio tracking device wherever they go attached to a global telecom monopoly.

You seem upset.

What I'm mad about most is the screen size. That shit is gonna be massive with a 5.5 inch screen and xperia level bezels. I was hoping for what they originally promised, a 5 inch screen.

>5.5"
well shit
into the trash it goes

>5.5 inch screen
What the fuck. I'm already easily carrying my 6.2" S8+ in my front pocket and it can't even fold. A folding phone should give the benefit of a big screen because it still fits into the pocket. If it's just a manlet phone then it's DOA.

sensible chuckle

It could run it

kill yourself fucking gorilla nigger

pasting some old posts of mine

There's no way they'll ever get the baseband blob-free. The only one there is, is OsmocomBB ant that's for a single ancient GSM chip

The FAQ and blog posts are apart from design stuff basically "we are evaluating [modules/hardware killswitches/free drivers]"
July's blogpost even tells you the dev boards' schematics aren't even done.

>killswitch
They say, they're still evaluating, as in, it didn't work the way they expected it to. in the devboard blogpost they say they want to use a m2 baseband card and abstract it with USB, so it doesn't have access to the PCIe. If they're doing thins, it'll place a huge load on the application processor - the U in USB stands for Universal, not for Network, after all. That in turn will eat through your battery in no time.
Still no word about that "secure hardware stack", they promised.

October Update:
>Nicole traveled to Carlsbad (California) to assist them in building, assembling, and testing of a small print run of dev kit prototypes, to verify the soundness of our electronics design.
basically says they still don't have a working prototype.

At this point, the Librem has best chances to be Jow Forums's Duke Nukem Forever

also
>being privacy aware
>using google fonts and jquery hosted at google

are ppl actually going to pay nearly a grand for the memebrum 5??

don't think so

sure why not
i think it'll fail but if it manages to deliver then there's nothing wrong with that

>5.7" display
WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

Attached: 1539040934640.jpg (554x388, 20K)

Maybe if it was 200 dollars but nah. No reason for me to own a phone anyway. What does a guy have to do to have Slackware in his pocket?

I haven't had a phone since the first Snowden leaks - I might actually get this...
Will it be able to do grouptexting and everything a normal phone does? or is it just a weak laptop in the form of a smartphone?

Attached: librem5 l5-v1-18_9-turn-around-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 35K)

It has a hardware killswitch for the cellular modem. Meaning its not a tracking device when you don't want it to be.
I don't think the bezels are nailed down just yet. Images of the phone are to be considered concept images until they finalize the design. Besides, it doesn't seem like it'll be much if any bigger than a galaxy s5 which has a plenty adequately sized screen for doing normal phone stuff.
I'm pretty sure the dev board design is done since they've posted images of it since then.
I'm pretty sure Matrix, which it uses, is supposed to let you do that, but Jow Forums hates Matrix and I'm not really sure why.

>1500 dollars
No thanks i use blob free replicant

Attached: tehnoetic-s2-phone-front-replicant-homescreen-500x500.png (500x500, 322K)

Based

Attached: IMG_20180921_215509.jpg (4160x3120, 2.13M)