Does anyone here have any experience flying with a desktop?

Does anyone here have any experience flying with a desktop?

I figure I should pack up the HDD & GPU and stick it in my hand-luggage. The monitor would go in my case in the second hand luggage. The rest would be placed into a suitcase that would be checked.

Any advice you could give, Jow Forums?

Attached: how-to-get-over-a-fear-of-flying.jpg (968x681, 33K)

Don't take weird shit as hand-luggage. It's just going to raise a bunch of questions and spaghetti at airport security.
Check all of it in.
Remove the GPU and wrap everything in bubblewrap.

>Check it in
How do I do that, user? I'm new to flying. I fly like once a month, but I've never carried anything like this before. I always take handluggage only.

>GPU
I still have the box for the GPU. Can I carry that in my hand-luggage?

How long is your trip? Just buy another monitor when you get there and return it

Potentially forever.

Ffs, WHY?

Because I'm potentially moving to another country.

Ship it or sell and rebuy

>Ship it
I trust mail-men less than baggage handlers, and that's saying something. It's also very expensive to ship.

I shipped my desktop domestically and they only slightly fucked it up
to prevent damage I would take any heavy PCIe cards out of the board and package them separately.
there is this foam padding that you activate and it expands to the dimensions of the box which helps protect the case during shipping.
then you should get insurance on the package and document everything with timestamped pictures before sending it.
And if you think a carry on luggage that has your entire desktop in it isn't going to cost a shit ton to fly with, then I have some bad news for you.

>And if you think a carry on luggage that has your entire desktop in it isn't going to cost a shit ton to fly with, then I have some bad news for you.
Hell, surely the case is the only heavy part, really? I was considering leaving that and just picking up another over here.

Idk, depends on what you have. when I shipped mine I had 8 hard drives and 2 GPU's with some huge air cooler.
so the guts were a bit heavier than the case alone
iirc it cost me around $170 to ship it but that was including all the packaging and insurance.

Oh I've got 2 HDD and a 1050ti. I think I'll be fine on that front.

>8HDD
nigga why

bump

>The monitor would go in my case in the second hand luggage.

Unless you're talking about a shitty tiny 15" monitor that's never going to happen.

A boy can dream.

You can dream, but the reality is they'll force you to check it at the gate for a ridiculous price.

Pull everything out of the case. PSU, mobo (in box), peripherals (in box) in checked luggage. Use clothes as padding.
GPU and drives in hand luggage.
Buy a cheap case if you need to and a monitor when you arrive.
t. Overseas uni student

Thanks for the advice, user! What if I don't have the box for the motherboard?

your most realistic option is to disassemble your PC, take all your components packed carefully and put them in a box. take your monitor and place it in a box, preferrably the box it came in with the correctly shaped styrofoam supports.

Ship it, and look up how to ship it in such a way that it's tracked and the receiving person has to sign to receive the package, else it's not delivered. Also look up insurance on top of that.

Alternatively, pack your disassembled components into a box and monitor in a box as before, but pay for them to be stowed under the cabin. It's expensive, but every now and then people take large/nonstandard baggage with them (skis and stuff)

You're going to find that companies that aren't 'low cost' will be slightly more accomodating on these things (it will still cost money though).

I would really not recommend flying with your desktop. As much as there are horror stories of postal workers stealing/it getting lost, there's also many stories of stuff getting lost in the baggage handling, or sometimes all the luggage doesn't fit so it gets put on a different flight, but oops that flight was delayed/it was put on the wrong plane, etc.

For the risks you incur shipping it, there's ways to pay more money to make sure they don't happen. For the risks of airplane shipping there's no way to mitigate risk.

Also leave your case at home, buy a shitty new one there. Unless it can be taken apart (really rare).

There's a good chance that the cost of this endeavor is just the same as buying a shittier monitor over there. Disassembled pc parts are easier to stash properly packaged between your clothes in a big non-cabin luggage.

I've done it before, with a 24 inch monitor in a plastic bag lol. I took out all the components and put them in cereal boxes which I padded with underwear, and put the case in my suitcase and filled the case with clothes, and shut it.

It can be done, just make sure you arrive v early just in case, and be very polite to all of the staff so they give you the benefit of the doubt.

find /construct a box from e.g. those big sheets of carboard at ikea that fold into moving boxes, stash it with bubblewrap.

So here's what I'm gonna do
>Case
>Monitor
Gonna leave 'em both. The case will be too heavy and the monitor won't fit in the hand-luggage.

>GPU
>HDD
Store it in my hand-luggage. The GPU will be in its case.

>Everything else
Checked luggage. Gonna fill it with clothes, bubble wrap, etc.

Thanks for the help, friendos!

just imagine your desktop mobo, cpu, gpu, ram being tossed like shit and also probably stepped on while loading/unloading.

priceless

FUCK

Attached: 1540325392585.jpg (1280x851, 289K)

I shipped mine by post, took the gpu and hard drive with me in my carry on. Took a month and had to pay to get it out of quarantine, but it arrived in one piece. I then got a new motherboard because I didn't want to risk them putting shit on it

You'll need to remove the GPU, and CPU heatsink if it's a big one.
Next get non-static foam and fill your case with it. It needs to be something you can remove later easily so no spray on shit. You need to cut each piece to fit as closely as possible. If you have the space, make a tight little space in the foam for the GPU. Same for the CPU heatsink. If no space, pack these separately. Make sure to remove anything that could come loose or find a way to prevent it from coming loose. Finally pack the entire PC in a huge cushioned box. You could use peanuts or bubble wrap. Just make sure the PC isn't going to settle in the box and will remain protected throughout it's journey. It's not a terrible idea to build a wooden frame for the box so it will remain strong. HDD will likely be fine but if you're worried, take it out, put it in a case and take it with you on the plane.

It aint as bad if its a direct flight.

Yeah, the flight is only an hour and a half. It should be okay, hopefully.