Why is macOS still the only OS that can do this?

Go from the GUI to the command line AND back from the command line to the GUI.

Attached: backandforth.webm (1920x1080, 2.85M)

Other urls found in this thread:

4sysops.com/archives/starting-file-explorer-from-powershell-in-the-current-folder/
my.mixtape.moe/imzied.webm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

OP,

You are stupid, please find a job and stop posting.

Sincerely, user

This is why every developer prefers macOS.

I can do this in KDE. Fuck off with your shill threads, iToddler.

No, you can't, show it.

The NT command prompt is a legacy afterthought and properly integrated environments are practically the opposite of the freetard creed.

I'm not about to waste my time to record my screen, convert it to a webm, and then post it here just for you. Spin up a KDE Neon VM and try it yourself, iToddler.

Desktop thread retards can do it, how can you be even dumber and lazier than they are?

Why would you want to do it this way? If you are in a certain location in the Terminal just do pwd and copy that in whatever file browser. It's much faster than clicking.

Linux is unironically the laziest, most low maintenance operating system out there. My fat ass is laying on the floor like a wad chewed bubble gum while I type away on my ThinkPad that runs an OS that Just Works (TM).

since dude is too lazy i made a webm
not KDE, but it works in GNOME and I expect it to work in KDE.
It's dependent on the terminal, not the desktop environment used

Attached: folderterminal.webm (1440x900, 696K)

NOOOOO NOT GNOME REEEEEEEEE

why are kdefriends so desperate to prove their wm isn't trash

so what is up with that bad flickering?

Mactoddler
4sysops.com/archives/starting-file-explorer-from-powershell-in-the-current-folder/

KDE users are NPCs
XFCE is you want lightweight use, GNOME if you want a customizable experience
It's unironically impressive how many extensions are available for GNOME shell
I have a tiling extension to easily tile my workspaces, a weather extension for the next 7 days, system info like ram usage, network usage, controls over my music player, literally all in the topbar
KDE is for fags

The flickering is showing in the OBS preview, so maybe it doesn't like XSHM Screen Capture?
I usually use it with Xcomposite window capture in games which works.
I'm gonna go ahead and recompile OBS

Attached: 1521268679057.webm (990x720, 2.45M)

This. On the long run it has been so effortless thanks to accepting copypasting entire home folder to new system.

10 years with linux made me even forget that Firefox comes from something named mozilla. Damn windows making me manually find stuff from the internets.

I like KDE since I can pretty easily clone my Solaris CDE setup on it while GNOME 3 looks like some ugly wannabe trendy trash I’ll never be able to stand.

I was just memeing around, no offense.
Just use whatever makes you a happy linux user

Gnome is the ultimate NPC DE

there's a ton of other reasons too

> hurr durr look that os had an issue once

I’ve been shitting all over people in other threads all night and it’s making me too jumpy, no offense from me either.

Unity feels the most NPC-tier to me though if anything, just because it’s attached to the most NPC distro.

Attached: Screenshot_20181025_130716.png (696x551, 80K)

> he writes code on windows outside visual studio

new in mojave?

You can perhaps drag it in the terminal window, but you cannot open up a menu with the parent folders you can click to open in the file manager straight from any program (including terminal).

Not the same. You can't summon a list with the location as well as the parent folders from the terminal (or any other program that has the file open) to then open that location in the file browser.

>You can't summon a list with the location as well as the parent folders from the terminal
That's entirely unnecessary as any file manager worth shit has a path bar.

>but you cannot open up a menu with the parent folders you can click to open in the file manager straight from any program
maybe not, but I could write 'spacefm ..' to open the parent folder in my file manager which is quicker than moving the mouse

>Why is macOS still the only OS that can do this?
That's because you only used MacOS
Any good terminal emulator can do this.
my.mixtape.moe/imzied.webm

Attached: 1538999619322.jpg (235x212, 12K)

>summon a list with the location as well as the parent folders
bloat

>"I-It's not exactly how I want, therefore, it is wrong!"

Kde uses a file manager called dolphin.
The setup I use, have a terminal embedded, so when I click on a link, the terminal navigates there too, and when I cd into a directory, the gui follows.
You have to press a button to enable this, so it might be beyond what you are capable of.

Why is KDE the only DE that can do this?

Look 3 posts above you, you fucking retard

I honestly dont have a single use case for this feature

Incorrect. It's very useful. I use it all the time. When I'm working on a document and I want to move the location of the file, all I need to do is right click the name of the file in the window's title bar and then I can open the location, or I can even just drag its little icon directly to a different location.

Again, not the same. Not even close in terms of functionality.

Better start deleting everything from your computer that you don't use at least once a day. And I'm not just talking about programs.

That's not a terminal that automatically follows the file manager around.

Good. Imagine your terminal creating another terminal if you want to create a new file manager window.

>Incorrect. It's very useful
I don't give a shit how useful it is. I'm telling you that it's unecessary if your file manager has a path bar as you get the same functionality. I click open in file manager in Konsole and then select whatever parent folder I want from the path bar. If I bind the open in file manager command to a key combo it's even just one mouse click.

Finder has a path bar. Not everyone likes to keep a folder open for each document they have open at the time. That could lead to tens if not more windows. I usually keep one folder open at the "root" of a project. Being able to quickly open up the specific folder without having to navigate straight from an editor is a must for both productivity and clarity.

>Not everyone likes to keep a folder open for each document they have open at the time
What the hell are you on about? Why would that be necessary?

>Not even close in terms of functionality.
It is literally the same thing.
It is a terminal and a file manager in one application.
You don't need to "send" anything between them, you just get stuff done the fastest way possible.
It is just a file manager, you can install in on any desktop you want.
As to why KDE do it, Qt, the graphics library makes it very easy to embed another widget into your gui.
It also allow them an application like kile, which is an IDE for latex (or ILE if you will)
Where you have PDF viewers, editors, terminals etc integrated to make a good latex editor.
KDE is the best DE.
The only competing alternative is no DE at all. But that is for different people.

I love how you're right and everything else isn't all the time and makes you aggressive. :3

Sorry. I learned most of my english from the internet before it went all PC so that's just how I type.

Attached: chester.jpg (200x200, 108K)

>GUI
brainlet spotted

whats the point?

>Tfw every dev on my team gets a MacBook pro
>Love it
>I'm a macfag now
Switching to iOS soon too

yeah, macOS is great... how do I watch this video though?

Attached: Screenshot 2018-10-25 at 13.55.25.png (692x352, 31K)

macOS has the better GUI experience, that's about it. It really does work well and there's some little neat tricks here and there. Not what OP posted. That's more like he's ignorant enough he didn't try this elsewhere and just found out about it. The system itself is quite functional if you get used to it the same way you got used to other systems so when people bitch about it not being manageable enough it honestly reeks of duckling syndrome. It ain't that hard to use quickly and get used to the keyboard shortcuts.

However it really isn't good for anything juicy. Most software on Windows/Linux performs better (speed wise mostly) than macOS under the same exact hardware. That's shitty because there's really next to no software that can help with this either, because it's a really walled garden and they really do think their customers are obnoxiously dumb (well, they would be Apple customers so I don't even know why I'm questioning this). macOS is very much an OS where shit either works fully or just plain doesn't and that is not convenient at all.

Even though GNOME and... Pantheon or whatever the fuck it's called (the DE used on elementaryOS by default) look like alternatives to this, KDE is the one that mimics most of how macOS functions and it has most (not all) of its features.

Don't do it. Seriously. Or, if you do... Don't do it with a phone. I am a macfag and I hated every iPhone I've ever had. Yes, the integration is nice and convenient but it doesn't outweigh how restrictive and shitty the OS is, and how much bullshit you need to go through to do something that's a built in feature in Android. Like just adding your own fucking ringtones requires iTunes, and installing an app that Apple doesn't want you to have requires using Cydia impactor and reloading it every 7 days if you're not a paid app dev. If you want the benefits of iOS integration, I suggest an iPad, but stay far away from the iPhone if you use your phone for anything related to work productivity. Calendars and emails and shit can still be synched between Android and macOS.

so, they're too lazy to learn a few keyboard shortcuts which would make them more productive? figures.

Works on my machine?

Attached: drag4.webm (1152x720, 607K)

Even Emacs can do this

Because it makes no sense mixing gui and shell? I can cd into the directory I need and open the file manager by using xdg-open.

Why are you falling for this obvious troll

why aren't we doing this?

You can use that with your hotkeys to minimize all windows! ohh... wait..
Or perhaps use the auto tiling function to stack those windows side by side so tha... what? no? ohh
Well you have a Unix desktop so you can just rewrite the config in the X.org? no?
But thats no problem! You just download the missing stuff via the packagemana..
Well... its... kinda pretty at least! It is a unique desktop experi.. Elementary OS you say?

Well a computer is no computer without official support for Creative Cloud!
THATS FOR SURE!

Attached: 1530548371126.jpg (550x512, 41K)

That's not it, it's not working.

Linux, what else?

It's fixed for ages, now what?

Yes, it opens the FM, doesn't show the path and allows to open a parent directory, duh!

Every time someone shows an Apple superiority, there comes the freetard/manchildren with
> that's about it
Yeah... "that's about it".
> It really does work well and there's some little neat tricks here and there.
It's not "tricks", it's a complete operating system designed very carefully, with standards. This is the kind of experience that people are used to.

Meanwhile Linux is a mess where everyone does the way they want it. And Windows is subcontracted to pajeets or even worse, pakis.

It's not working, it's only going form GUI->TUI, not TUI->GUI, try again.

> You can use that with your hotkeys to minimize all windows! ohh... wait..
Pic related, retard.
> Or perhaps use the auto tiling function to stack those windows side by side so tha... what? no? ohh
There are literally DOZENS of Apps that do that like Spectacle.app
> Well you have a Unix desktop so you can just rewrite the config in the X.org? no?
Now you're trolling.
> But thats no problem! You just download the missing stuff via the packagemana..
Homebrew is the best package manager out there, by far.
> Well... its... kinda pretty at least! It is a unique desktop experi.. Elementary OS you say?
Elementary OS? How do you live knowing that your OS was designed to copy my OS?
Elementary is not a substitute of the real deal.

Just turned it on on iTerm2, fuck this is nice. Thanks for showing me.

kek

>It's not working, it's only going form GUI->TUI, not TUI->GUI, try again.

>Clicks button
>Guys I just opened a folder from my terminal without a GUI!!

Kill yourself

>doesn't show the path and allows to open a parent directory, duh!
You can do that from the FM. Takes one click more for the same functionality. With shortcut usage it takes less clicks.

pcmanfm ../..

Opens folder two directories above. You can replace that command with any file manager.

Are you retarded?
I don't want to go from the FM to the prompt, I want to do the other way around.

based and redpilled

>Out of the box and "it just werks" and "why cant your OS do this!? XD :P"
Or
>Installing hundreds of apps, scripts and replacements of stock apps to get your hunk of shit to work
Choose one user!

Sure your mac can do almost everything but most other OS:es just does it better.
But sure. you found a little cool thing on the mac ill give you that but the Mac lacks so much functionality that it does not matter.

open ../..

Does the same thing, you can't do that graphically on linux.

works in Cinnamon as well.

this is now an "op is a faggot thread"

Attached: scientists-find-sucking-cock-is-no-longer-enough-to-satisfy-19266121.png (500x543, 118K)

KDE (Konsole) does it, but gives a few options like "Go to location", "paste path", etc.
OSXFags btfo etc.

So you *need* it to be a clicky button instead?
The fuck is the point of that?

What I'm saying is that you can open the pwd in the FM like this and then click whatever parent directory you need in the pathbar. That's from the prompt to the FM.

Show it.

Why are we trying to prove anything to OP in the first place?
It's not like the directory button is hard to make.
The reason why we don't have it on Linux is because no one fucking wants to make it.
Who, other than OP, gives a shit about this feature?

just drink your gallons of sperm and gtfo, itoddler

>my.mixtape.moe/imzied.webm
>20 kB/s
Wow, I didn't know there were people still left on dialup.

Nice response.

>I CANT BELIIIEEEVE IT WORKS ON ANYTHING BUT TODDLEROS UNLESS IM SHOWN A VIDEO
The absolute state of macfags.

Attached: crapple-3.jpg (525x808, 103K)

Linux
Can't even make vids of screen captures
LMAO!
"Power users".

>explorer .
easy

By installing the VLC plugin and ceasing to be the retarded section of the macfag populous.

>OP 14 seconds
>(You) 22 seconds
>has to fumble on the keyboard too
>"command line is superior"

open .

That's not what the video tells

/thread

This singlehandedley made me rethink my life

Why are mactards so dumb?
I guess people that fall for crapple's shitty marketing are likely to be dumb, but OP is dumber than people with double digit IQs.

What the literal fuck do you even mean you cum breathing fucktard?
Want to open a terminal where you ware in file manager? Right click, select open terminal here. Or you can drag and drop the folder to the terminal.
Want to """"move back"""" to the GUI? write "nautilus ." or "xdg-open ."

Fucking dumb

ok but can you do this?

Attached: 99999999999999999999999.webm (960x540, 763K)

If you're talking about the folder hierarchy shit nobody uses that, and if this is just another shill thread that got btfo and is now resorting to arguing semantics then fuck you

> nobody uses that,
SEETHING

Not him but I use that shit nearly every day.

>GNOME if you want a customizable experience

Are you literally brain damaged?

As expect from a mactard, makes me ashamed to even be using it

Which one are you talking about? I don't have my macbook on hand right now but you should be able to do finder . and get the same result. Then just double click on the file path below, it's way more intuitive than doing that shit.
And if you do use it, then I hope you aren't trying to argue against the hyperbole I was using just for the sake of nitpicking

>this one click functionality the same shit as typing something out and then clicking on something

Pretends that he has a mac:
> makes me ashamed to even be using it
Doesn't have one "right now"
> don't have my macbook on hand right now
Wrong and wrong:
> you should be able to do finder . and get the same result.

or this

Attached: smooth.webm (960x540, 1.45M)

mh, like nothing at all?

nice page 10 save, faggot OP

based

This statement is blatantly false.

Let me know when I can use a single package manager that can have repos added to it and can update every package in my system with a single command (please, oh please say brew so everyone knows you're retarded). Linux has had this for over a decade, macOS does not and will never.

Convenient but not really necessary when you have tab completion and are not afraid of typing.