PINE64 smartphone

Fuck yeah:

itsfoss.com/pinebook-kde-smartphone/

If the pricing is in anyway similar to their pinebook this will blow librem out of the water.

Attached: kde-plasma-pinephone.jpg (900x506, 72K)

kde is the only problem

Attached: 1540341585479.png (919x720, 1.06M)

KDE is good on desktop. On a smartphone it's just silly, it's like going back to the early Lollipop days.

Did you make the hardware yourself? No? Then it's not really FOSS

It's a bit better than that, but ultimately you don't have much of a choice with Linux touch UI.

>is not 100% foss until the last transistor, better keep using google's botnet!

Are you retarded? every step in the right direction counts. Also, being able to plug it and use it as a desktop when I travel would be a huge plus.

>this other brand of botnet is better than google's botnet

Actually, yes, at least google wont have ALL of my information.

In this case the hardware and blobs may be compromised (which could be tracked with a sniffer to see if something is weird), but you can flash the thing yourself. Better that than 100% certified and unapologetic botnet in your fucking face.

I wonder how many months it would take to compile gentoo in this machine.

It's foss, so most likely can change distro.

fuck yeah KDE is my favorite DE

Not that long, probably.

As far as I can read, it has gsm and lte which require some botnet to run, and even that is reasonable compared to googles complete botnet.
I will probably buy it regardless of how good it actually is just because I want a better phone.

I'll take something that works well with 100% botnet than something that doesn't work well with 50%.

There's no completely safe smartphone out there because you would have a brick at that point. But some people are just not willing to have to sacrifice functionality or a few very convenient services to get "less botnet". Only if there's next to none. And it's not gonna happen.

>I'll take something that works well with 100% botnet than something that doesn't work well with 50%

Yeah, but you're a faggot. With this kind of approach no one will wver bother to create a completelly foss device, the market studies will keep telling them that there is no market for it.

But Librem5 has hardware killswitches desu

I'm sorry that there's more demand for services than pure privacy. That's how the world works. Not everyone is important.

If it's priced like pinebooks ill cop one for sure

You know Android is Linux, right?

It's a bastardized version of Linux that constantly phones home to jewgle and restricts the user from getting root access to their own device. Android phones are also very restrictive. If you have an Android phone, the only thing you can install on it after you "root" it and such... is more Android. You can't just grab the ARM Debian iso and install that shit in the same way you would be able to grab the x86 iso and install that on a desktop or laptop PC.

Android's power management is still miles ahead of Linux

Linux is the kernel. Android uses Linux, not in a bastardised way at all. It just uses normal Linux.
Android is also Linux, so you aren't really saying anything.

They need a moonshot

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 48K)

Attached: jonathan-riddell-kde-neon.jpg (171x170, 45K)

also POO

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-25_15-58-28.png (886x291, 50K)

If you want something better you should also consider the librem 5. I mean, considering we don't know anything about this phone yet like screen size or if it'll have cellular modem kill switches. The pine phone might be better off due to cpu architecture and potentially costing less though.

Same here, I dont even care about how good is it, I just want this ball to start rolling

How many chunks of pre-chewed cock do you have stuck in your teeth from eating dick all day?

Does it have a removable battery?

Hey man, I don't engage in your hobbies.

No info yet.
If we can wish I hope it has a removable sbc, and change the sopine for a 'sorock' in the future if they create it. That would fucking rule.

A R M I S S H I T

But neither is on the market, so obviously it will depend on a ton of things.
I might get a purism phone too, but I am not a fan of pre-ordering a product I don't know will be usable.
Phones do not interest me the slightest, there are no good ones on the market and I doubt I will ever have a phone I actually like to use again.
Removing nonfree software and hardware from it is a step in the right direction, but I won't ever have a decent phone again unless I make it myself and I do not have time for that.

I honestly cant wait but i will use it with postmarket

Android is to Linux what Mac OS is to Unix

I was actually really excited about the pinebook, I thought I could have a bunch of cheap ssh, anime watching, file serving machines for 80-100 bucks a pop but it turns out they were complete garbage.
This will most likely be the same

JESUS CHRIST THE OSS COMMUNITY NEVER FUCKING LEARNS

THEY COULD HAVE JOINED FORCES WITH AN ALREADY KIKSTARTED PROJECT LIKE THE LIBREM PHONE BUT INSTEAD DECIDED ONCE AGAIN TO FRAGMENT THE LINUX-ON-PHONES MARKET EVENT AT ITS INFANCY. YOU FUCKING NIGGERS DESERVE TO HAVE NOTHING. IF YOU HAD 10M DOLLARS TO SPEND ON SOMETHING YOU'D RATHER GIVE 1 DOLLAR TO 10M PROJECTS INSTEAD OF GETTING ONE FUCKING THING DONE FOR GOOD

the fuck are you speaking about?

They already have the platform and the accords with the KDE foundation, this is an incremental step for them.
Also, why they should join with librememe when they have underperformed untill now and are giving priority to the cancer of GNOME even though KDE mobile is more advanced at this moment and very willing to cooperate?

Finally, no one will pay 600$ for a fucking outdated phone.

Ahh but heres the thing, we are unironic basement dweebs. If given an option between something ready made and something more DIY. We will chose the DIY.
Plus i personally think the librem 5 is a scam. I havent even seen a prototype with a case yet and it was originally supposed to be out soon at this time this year. The software is alpha tier at best and needs at least 2 more years of work(they have x86_64 images for the os).
At least pine delivered on something good for its pricepoint and if i want to i can also make a feature phone style case.

I don't see the purpose of these phones/project other than cheap hardware that runs free software. I'd rather use a LineageOS capable phone w/o Google. What's the point when the hardware is not blob free and still relies on proprietary firmware?

>I don't see the purpose of these phones/project other than cheap hardware that runs free software

If you are talking about the chip they'll use for gsm it can probably be removed. And then be used as a wifi only device.
And it could certainly run android if one would want to look at the orange pi phone.

No. GNOME is the problem and KDE is the (final) solution.

I'd go upwards to 150$ if it's specs aren't absolute shit. As in, they should go for the 2GB version of the board and have decent ppi. From what I'm reading they're giving the 512MB board and a 7'' 720p screen, which sounds like shit. Even though it says that the final device will have 2GB RAM. 16GB storage sounds terrible desu.
But, it actually sounds like a good deal if you can't or don't want to afford Librem 5 and want something cheaper. Looks like they'll be released at roughly the same time.

Android doesn't even use a modified version of Linux, it just uses Linux.

underrated