/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:

Previous thread:

Attached: P1010003.jpg (1600x1200, 307K)

Other urls found in this thread:

unix.stackexchange.com/a/227293/275404
xfce-look.org/p/1131626/
forum.colemak.com/post/21094/#p21094
support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/OpenCL2-Driver.aspx
lembra.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/wifi-disconnects-and-it-is-unable-to-reconnect-device-not-ready-on-debian-and-ubuntu/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration#Mouse_acceleration_with_libinput
tagspaces.org/
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=hydrus
alien.slackbook.org/blog/adding-cacert-root-certificates-to-your-slackware/
pcwebshop.co.uk/
mobile.twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1055517801224396800
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I'm trying to learn stuff but sitting here gives me the piles so is there any terminal command that removes them?

There's probably a higher level solution to this, but my reaction as a wmfag would be to write a unit file in ~/.config/systemd that runs `feh --bg-fill ` or whatever. The pattern for it is discussed here unix.stackexchange.com/a/227293/275404

What's the best way of tagging files (memes, more precisely)? I don't wanna use Hydrus because it's too bloated for my needs. I just wanna tag files with a couple of key words and search based on them. There has to be simpler way. I'm using Thunar file manager btw.

A basic way could just be to rename the file itself to include the word

>I just wanna tag files with a couple of key words and search based on them.
Thats what hydrus does.

Found this, does the same, just with a special interface.
>xfce-look.org/p/1131626/
Would prefer not to rename files, though.

Hydrus also does a gazillion of other things I don't need and won't ever use, just taking +250MB of my space.

>don't need and won't ever use
So dont use them. You dont even use every feature in a browser yet you use it everyday. You dont use every feature/driver in your OS, yet you use it everyday

>250mb
OH LORDY DID WE TRAVEL BACK IN TIME TO THE 60'S WHERE 32KB IS ALL WE EVER NEED?
>the year of 1000+1000+10+5+3
250mb means fuck all, you are wasting more space with with your browser on a filesize:feature metric usage then you would with hydrus.

how do i load this xkb
forum.colemak.com/post/21094/#p21094

Now you're just mocking Him.

Attached: 0.jpg (480x360, 31K)

I have already installed the amdgpu-pro driver, but I want to run and write opencl 2.0 stuff, do I just need to install this support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/OpenCL2-Driver.aspx on top of the current driver or do I need something else?

install CRUX

>xfce-look.org/p/1131626/
Might be too outdated to properly work anymore

Trying to compile rmd to pdf, but I keep getting this error. Made sure that my pandoc and R(Rmarkdown) are up to date at least up to date by Debian repos.

Attached: 2018-10-09-220941_1366x768_scrot1.png (956x199, 25K)

You arent showing us anything lol. Look above the error to see if anything failed

Can an user help me to resolve a problem?

Each times I disconnect from a wifi network, and then try to reconnect, nm-applet fail and tell me "device not ready", and I have to do "sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart && sudo /etc/init.d/network-manager restart", to then be able to reconnect to my wifi, every times. This problem didn't exist before, and I don't recall upgrading anything before it happened.

I tried to use wicd. When I connect to a network with wicd-gtk, it loads, and I can see the texts on the left-bottom corner, after "Authentification", it tells me "connection estabilished", and finally suddenly tell me "not connected".

Thank you.

I'm on Debian GNU/Linux 9.

Add a custom xattr?

I installed xfce and now my mouse sensitivity is way too high. I tried lowering it in settings manager but it didn't help. How can I lower it more?

Thanks for helping, but it magically started working. I did update before trying to compile again, so maybe the devs fixed the problem.

anyone know how to fix screen tearing in void linux

im using i3 with nvidia drivers with forced composition

Cant even build hydrus, its deps are all fucked up and nothing compiles

install compton

This article might help you
lembra.wordpress.com/2014/04/04/wifi-disconnects-and-it-is-unable-to-reconnect-device-not-ready-on-debian-and-ubuntu/

waddup

Installing compiz on xubuntu 18.04.1, I get it working but I can't set the window frame theme correctly. I looked around and the only tip I found (installing the gnome tweak tool) didn't work. This is the exact warning:
Warn: No default decoration found, placement will not be correct

** (gtk-window-decorator:1247): WARNING **: 12:32:22.346: Failed to load metacity theme

Any ideas?

user, thank you, but I already said that I restarted my network-manager service. I'm looking for long term solution

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mouse_acceleration#Mouse_acceleration_with_libinput

For a gaymen mouse I had to set it to a negative value, IIRC -0.5
Try out what works for you then save the correct command and autorun it each time at logon.

Been running Mint for 2 days straight now. I believe this makes me an expert at gnu/linux.

Which loonex distro just werks with optimus thinkpads? I tried fedora, and both of the following packages doesn't detect the hardware after installing nvidia-settings and nvidia-drivers from negativo17 repo; I installed both in optimus mode (set from BIOS) and booting up in either BIOS or discrete(dedicated GPU) mode fails to detect the hardware either.
I don't mind not having the seamless switching, I just want to run either only the intel card or the nvidia card. That means the PRIME thing from ubuntu is out too, since that actually has both cards active and taking energy, even if only one card is actually used by the OS.

why won't my Debian vm boot when i enable 3d acceleration? I get stuck on a black screen with a cursor after GRUB. Disabling 3d acceleration fixes it, though.

Attached: dates.png (518x378, 182K)

nvidia card?

How can I get cowsay to output this properly? Figlet doesn't work either.

yeah, 960M

Forgot image.

Attached: cowsay cool s.png (233x602, 63K)

You got what you deserve filthy slave. You're not welcome here.

Attached: tyler.jpg (500x470, 29K)

Is there a way to switch between DE's without loging out?

Say I want to switch from i3 to xfce, how could I do it?

You can just start an xterm, and run the DE from that xterm, but you have to keep the xterm. Some DE accepts to be replaced by other DE (like TWM), but it's rare.

Edit your xinitrc and launch from a different tty

Only console users are allowed to run the X server

I don't understand your answer.

You can launch multiple DE / Xorg sessions under one user account.

You can't really switch WM/DE with all your applications still running and their GUI windows still active, so it's effectively not too different. Sure, you don't log out but just log in one more, but yea, not really different.

(cont'd)
BTW I seriously question why you'd want to do this.

Personally I never had the urge to switch between Awesome WM and a mouse pushing WM. I could set windows to floating mode and push mouse on Awesome WM if I wanted, but it really basically never happened.

Posting because of a thread earlier today.
What desktop environment has the least padding?
Tiling wms don't count, they're nice but I want a more classical solution right now.

Attached: nice padding bro.png (1604x903, 1.07M)

Fluxbox, turn off decorations.

yeah that looks like something I could see myself using.
It seems a bit rough around the edges but I'll look into it

tagspaces.org/

Pretty sure that depends a lot on your theme.

1)
aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/tree/PKGBUILD?h=hydrus
install -m755 -d "${pkgdir}/opt/hydrus"
what's pkgdir supposed to be? Arch wiki says
>This points to the directory where makepkg bundles the installed package, which becomes the root directory of your built package.
but it's empty since I have the files in /opt/hydrus
2)
Where can I read what install -m755 does?
3)
how to git gud at vim after vimtutor?

Why people still use install instead of cp. I don't get it.

whenever you have /usr, /etc, /whatever, prepend $pkgdir to it, so it becomes $pkgdir/usr
install -m755 is basicaly the same as cp -p file /new/path/ && chmod 755 /new/path/file
start writing vimscript

>so it becomes $pkgdir/usr
which is still /usr since pkgdir is blank, it changes nothing so why is it used in this case (in the whole PKGBUILD)?

Because $pkgdir can be ~/.local/

What did AMD mean by this?

Kernel 4.19 and Ryzen 2400G APU

Attached: 4.19-2400g-amderror.jpg (2789x1899, 1.31M)

nah, $pkgdir is redirected somewhere
the point of $pkgdir is that so when you issue make install the files don't get installed to /
that's why you pass DESTDIR like so make install DESTDIR=$pkgdir
it's better to familiarize yourself with building from source using ./configure && make && make install before start writing any package

How do you get firefox/chromium to use self signed certs now?

What? They refuse? Do you have an example of such a site?

Its a local server that isnt ready to be pushed public.
I need the browsers to use the certs that the server is using.

alien.slackbook.org/blog/adding-cacert-root-certificates-to-your-slackware/

I'm sure that there is a way to force firefox to accept it.

I dont need a third party issuing certs, self signing was sufficient enough until recently.I refuse to accept that i need to get a third party for certs

I've played with the configs in about:config but literally nothing makes firefox nor chromium accept self signed certs.

modify the source?

>makes firefox nor chromium accept self signed certs
I'm really dubious.

Linux seems to be a lost cause for me on my gaming PC. I've spent 2 weeks trying to make it work but it's just not on par with Windows. I don't get lower frame rates or anything but I get constant hangups. I don't know how ~130fps in a game can feel so laggy.

Yeah i have time to inspect of a million lines of code my self to use a fucking setting that should be default.

They dont

>They dont
I just did a test with pcwebshop.co.uk/ and I can add a security exception to bypass.

Im not going to manually add every fucking website that is ever used manually.

It's just once or twice in your life.

Its for every single domain or ip that is going to be used.

mobile.twitter.com/hackerfantastic/status/1055517801224396800

You don't spend your life on selfsigned website. It's very rare.

kthx bai

Never heard of development cycles?
Spending months implementing and dealing with clients?

Is there a popular script to mount usb devices (Flash Drive, Phones, Radio attenas)? I would like to bind that to a key.

Dosent do shit if you didnt setuid xorg, which hasent been the standard since the 90's?

>not sandboxing x11 in 2018

>Spending months implementing and dealing with clients?
If you add the self signed certificate permanently, it will ask only once.

>FTW arch disables this by default and big daddy rhel dosent

FOR A SINGLE GOD DAMN IP OR DOMAIN.
Any time you do anything else it fucks off and shits its self
Im not fucking adding 100 god damn domains retard

You're developing 100 websites on different domains at the same time?

You can edit out a lot of padding by removing the file menus and changing your launcher to something besides kde default

What is the most beginner friendly kde distro?

idk it's all linux is there really a difference besides how up to date the packages are?

I just go with debian

Any recommendations for a good i686 distro to run on pic related?
It's a Dell Latitude D610
Pentium M 750
2GB DDR2
Tiny 60GB HDD

Attached: 61Y6eR51hML._SX425_.jpg (425x381, 17K)

You need -n.
pyfiglet 'like this' | cowsay -n
| | | | < __/ | |_| | | | \__ \ |
| |_|_|_|\_\___| \__|_| |_|_|___/ |
| |
\ /
----------------------------------
\ ^__^
\ (oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||

What's the best MTP method? simple-mtpfs, jmtpfs? etc.

What are my choices if I want a distro that is well supported, stable and has a lot of rather up-to-date packages? Base install option is a must, I'm yet to find anything pre-configured with defaults I'd consider sane.
Bonus points for rolling release,
I'm getting a bit fed of arch, it's edge tends to bleed too much sometimes.

>it's edge tends to bleed too much sometimes.
Such as?
Did you incorporate the .pacnew's in to your config or did you simply ignore them and then blame the system for having outdated configs?

I done goofed and did delete some files accidentally. I did recovery using photorec and filtered files by type and size. How what I have is a directory with about 100,000 text files. How can I find files that contain urls and urls only, one per line?

How annoying is gentoo after you get it installed? I remember updating sometimes took a while but that was on a netbook I thought could've used a bit more juice. Currently running a thinkpad x220 with void but the package names are kind've annoying when every other distro I've tried has the same name for a given package. Is openRC any faster than runit?

Attached: DSC06514.jpg (2288x1520, 1.15M)

Didn't know about pacnew, I'll read about it later. Thanks!
It's not related to the problem I'm sometimes facing though. Some packages (from kde group especially) provide bug fixes (which is good) and new bugs (which is annoying) after every other update. I don't remember this being the case back in the days when I were using fedora. Updates were wayyy less often, but at least nothing was broke after updating.

I want to use the latest stable version, not something that feels like beta.

#!++

| \ ^__^ |
| \ (oo)\_______ |
| (__)\ )\/\ |
| ||----w | |
\ || || /
------------------------------
\ ^__^
\ (oo)\_______
(__)\ )\/\
||----w |
|| ||

>GCC-8.2.0
>92 SBU

Attached: 23512351.png (555x312, 298K)

I installed Kubuntu recently, and It's fantastic. But the image editors it came pre-installed were nice, but lacked the simplest feature I could possibly want "copy to clipboard". What's a good image viewer for Linux that can do this?

grep

>I remember updating sometimes took a while
It can take a while, but all you have to do is learn to run updates over night, or while you're at work, or whatever. I run updates on my i7-2700K desktop while I'm working with it and the only difference it makes is slightly increased fan noise, but I wait to run updates on my laptop until I'm not going to be using it for a while.

You can configure portage to keep going if any of the updates fail. That way you spend a few minutes glancing over the changes to be made and running the update, and when you come back to your computer you spend a few minutes running the command to remove obsolete packages, updating configuration files, and sorting out any build failures that might have occurred. It can take a long time, but it doesn't have to take any of YOUR time, since you probably don't use your computer 24/7.

>Is openRC any faster than runit
Faster at what? booting? I use it on an old netbook and boot times have never been an issue for me. If they were, I would hibernate instead, because a full boot is only ever truly necessary when you update your kernel.

There's definitelty something wrong with my install of Xubuntu.

Should I reinstall it, or get something else? (pc is from 2011, and I am fairly new to GNU/Linux)

>There's definitelty something wrong with my install of Xubuntu.
like what?

Terminal is definitely not the same as it was before, background keeps shitting out, programs keep crashing for no reason.. etc.

>Terminal is definitely not the same as it was before
I have no idea what this means.
>background keeps shitting out
I have no idea what this means.
>programs keep crashing for no reason
If this is happening frequently and you want t troubleshoot it you could run one of the troublesome programs in a terminal and use it until it crashes. The stuff that it writes to the terminal when it crashes might be useful. If you don't want to bother with that kind of thing, try Debian.

>Terminal
It's a different terminal. I used the default Xubuntu Terminal, but now it's a different one. Didn't change anything to it.
>Background of my desktop just vanishes from time to time.

Maybe I will try Debian, thanks brah.

How do you bind keys in 2018?
The keysyms are showing up as "KP_" keys but when i go to bind them in programs it dosent show up.All the keys show up on xev and show different keys, yet within programs its as if the key isnt being registered,but it registers a click on xev.