New college grad trying to better myself in the workforce here

New college grad trying to better myself in the workforce here.

What's your opinion on certifications?

Do they actually help advance your career?

Thinking about the security+, has anyone taken it? Know of any solid study resources? Did you use a test bank?

Thx bros.

Attached: compTIA_Security-56a1203a5f9b58b7d0bc39bb.jpg (768x512, 27K)

Yes I need help with this too! Did you use test king? Any reliable study banks?

stop pretending, you could just bump like a normal poster
fucking newfags

Attached: youre embarrasing yourself.png (178x89, 2K)

*rubs hands*

Why hello there my fellow chinners

christ op just get cisco certifications and red hat certifications. Use boson exams and buy a book for cisco. as for redhat idk google it.

The certificates and any work experience will be more valuable than your degree. Going to school for computers is a meme. Just become a trannie or grey beard on your own time and dime.

depends on the school and if you were smart enough to do internships desu. It was a waste for me because I realized I hated programming about halfway through.

Why not security+?

Yeah I think this is my plan. Do you have any experience in certs and testing strategies?

Professor Messer is legitimate. Helped a lot.

It helps you get employed but it doesn't replace actual experience, what matters is those certs being used correctly in practice.

I have no IT certs and lead devs, devOps and architects have all told me certs are a meme

Because it's entry level as fuck.

t. comptia A/S + cert holder making $12/hour in gooksquad

lmao dude geek squad isn't IT

just find a help desk job like the rest of us and move up. geek squad has 0 opportunities for advancement

>has anyone taken it
I have. didnt help me get a job, my research experience did.

I have my A+ making 21/hour .
How long did you study for it? And did you just use the book?

Lol that's because you have no idea how to job search apparently.

I used a shit ton of test banks. They weren't the same though.

With just certs and no previous exp, what are some easy ways to spruce up your resume?

I only have an A+ and I recently got offered a position that pays $20/hr with full benefits, where the fuck do you live?

They might help you get in the door if you don't have a degree or experience, but otherwise they are largely pointless

If you are a graduate don't settle for meme support roles either. Not entirely sure what this "helpdesk" thing is people always go on about here but I imagine it's monkey work

The whatever+ certs are a joke. They would be negative points if I was reading your resume.

Cisco certs above CCNA are good.

Redhat certs are useful.

AWS certs are pretty good also.

What I'd really like to see on a resume is a pointer to your github account where you have 3 or 4 personal projects.

>everyone wants to be a SJW javascript/php "programmer"
dipshit

I'm currently in a senior security role pretty much out of college. I bagged a few certs but did mostly home lab stuff.

>I have my A+ making 21/hour .
>Lol that's because you have no idea how to job search apparently.
>I only have an A+ and I recently got offered a position that pays $20/hr with full benefits
>They might help you get in the door if you don't have a degree or experience

Well, I'm about to graduate with a degree in Information Systems with a focus in Cyber Surety.

I'm in the process of studying for my A+ certification, but have been reading a lot about how the Net + & Sec + certs are almost mandatory to land an entry Cyber Security role.

I plan on starting my Masters in Cyber Security within the year and acquiring both of the certs I've listed above. The only problem is, I don't really have any experience. What would you Anons recommend? I've heard specializing in Cloud Security might be a good idea. I've heard building a GitHub profile would be a good idea too. I'm not exactly sure what to do about experience or additional training though. Any recommendations?

>Cisco certs above CCNA are good.
I will look into these. Would you recommend knocking out the lower certifications to gain a bit of knowledge before attempting these?

> a pointer to your github account
I'll absolutely look into this.

>I'm currently in a senior security role pretty much out of college.
Can you elaborate a bit more? How did you snag your first role?

Unless you're going for something with the gov't, it's a requirement/standard for the industry, or you have literally nothing else to show on your resume they don't really do anything.

You fucked up. My friend finished internship and just got hired at $80k a year thanks to sec + cert

You realize that count doesn't count OP, right?