Is OpenBSD literally a joke?

This is literally what happens when you wade your way through page after page of archaic setup instructions in a text only interface, then you have to work out how to get it so you can use your mouse, and then it loads up with something that looks worse than Temple OS.

Do these cunts even ship Firefox with their shitty fucking OS?

Attached: openbsd.png (1027x769, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Status-of-OpenCVS-td318199.html
openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are you setting up BSD in your laptop or something? Plz keep this blog going I want to give it a try too

You are supposed to set it up yourself.
Though i am not crazy enough to use it everyday.
Anyway use su to login as root and do pkg_add -uv to update and pkg_add fireforx for firefox.

Are you literally retarded? I unironically use Ubuntu and I think you're retarded if you can't follow basic instructions to install an OS on the CLI. Next you're going to tell me you couldn't figure out how to install Arch or Gentoo.

>wade your way through page after page of archaic setup instructions in a text only interface
It's so simple the only prerequisite is if you can read. In fact, you can just hit enter several times and it will be done. Try installing Arch Linux if this is hard. You actually do have to read few sentences to do it.

Attached: 1537827242251.jpg (326x294, 12K)

>I want to give it a try too

That's what I thought until I gave it a go.
I'm just testing it out to see if it's worth using as a daily desktop. It does seem fairly secure, mainly due to the fact that there doesn't seem to be any sort of web browser installed with it, and I'll have to search to find how to access the package manager.

Attached: secret bunker.jpg (640x480, 81K)

morons falling for low quality bait

a thread died for this, so should you

There are retards that would read the OP and think he was serious, those three replies are for those people, not OP himself.

dude openbsd literally has the easiest installer of any fucking OS
at least complain about drivers or trim support.

Attached: 2018-09-07-1536378565.png (1033x783, 214K)

Oh gee, I guess I should install TempleOS on my Cisco router because it looks nicer than the command line interface, amirite /v/?

>then you have to work out how to get it so you can use your mouse
startx is so hard. It's 7 whole chars including pressing enter.
>it loads up with something that looks worse than Temple OS
>Do these cunts even ship Firefox with their shitty fucking OS
Do you even know how to install software?

tldr: I cannot read the manual or use an operating system, the post

Attached: 1507196871428.png (645x729, 59K)

An 64 bit x86 os without a built in network stack on a router.

In all honesty i would like to see someone do that with some old dell.

OpenCVS fucking when?
openbsd-archive.7691.n7.nabble.com/Status-of-OpenCVS-td318199.html

Thanks bro, that's awesome!
I am literally posting from OpenBSD.

Is there some way to install Gnome or that one that Kubuntu uses that looks like Windows?

Read the manpages. Highest quality of any OS. It's how they document their OS.

Yes they are in ports. Just search the available packages and find out the name of the package.
openbsd.org/faq/faq15.html

I find that the best installer is the NetBSD one

There's no issues with any drivers at all, as far as I can tell, everythings worked perfectly first time on that front.
I have no idea what trim is, so it likely won't bother me if it's supported or not.

power management is still lacking
thinkpads and other laptops don't have charge threshold support for example. I don't understand why they can't just merge tlp with apm.

Why did you pick openBSD instead of DragonflyBAD or GhostBSD that apparently already come configured for laptops and Desktop?

t. Never used BSD in my life just asking out of curiosity

Using a server OS a s desktop OS.

KYS

Attached: 10408878_10203798976926500_1197590942290553500_n.jpg (319x265, 10K)

I've heard that OpenBSD is the last uncucked OS in existence, therefore I thought I would give it a go.

Attached: hilr.png (2048x3059, 1.09M)

Not a bsd user myself but its probably because of the various bsd threads shunning freehugs and supporting all the other ones especially openbsd because the creator is some chad or something.
Also dragonflyBSD does not come with a graphical interface afaik.

Read: I'm a tool who's unable to form my own opinion and has to abide by whatever's trendy on the internet.

read the mail when you login as root
also man afterboot

Feel free to direct me towards any other OS of less cucked status.

Attached: chimney.jpg (619x757, 79K)

Temple OS
No sjw is going to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

>no zfs
>no live patching
>no snapshot-capable filesystem
>no lts releases
... what makes it a server operating system?

get over yourself and use linux

I've just switched from GNU/Linux. It peaked back when Mandriva was the most user friendly desktop distro.

Attached: simplified.jpg (526x409, 50K)

>nano
Command not found

What is this faggotry?

>using nano
What *is* this faggotry indeed?

pkg_add nano.
Not everyone ships nano.
I think they use vi or something by default.

>gnushit
vi

OpenBSD ships ed(1), vi(1) and mg(1)

First time i've heard of mg.

if you complain about OpenBSD, then you are either a

tranny
SJW
retard
downs syndrome

which is it, OP? in fact, i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're are "pretending" to be retarded

via 9gag dot com

I'm complaining about OpenBSD because they haven't finished OpenCVS. Getting rid of GNU CVS is important to me.

Big deal, I can remember when posting demotivationals got you b&. Technically, the ban was never lifted, it's just not enforced any more and likely no-one even remembers why they were b& in the first place.

You really hate GNU that much?

Attached: steroids.png (600x1720, 71K)

fair point

i would be ashamed if those were my posts

I would be ashamed if I had purple hair and sucked cocks.

dont be ashamed

If you don't like it, then why are you even

OpenBSD is secure by default, and you know what isn't secure? modern web browsers. They ship a minimal distribution so that it can be used on as many types of machines as possible and perform many jobs including firewalls, routers, desktops, webservers, etc. Just because you're too stupid to intsall xfce and firefox doesn't mean that OpenBSD is inherently bad. Please go back to windows 10 and stop shitting on the UNIXES

don't be a cunt

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-10-25 19-19-21.png (1010x553, 93K)

This they audit everything that is in the default install. Every line. If they had a ton of funding, maybe they could tackle something as big and monolithic as modern web browser. Chromium is the best security-wise.

stop using firefox
marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=152872551609819

Then don't install FVWM and install something else.

They should use TWM by default.

Attached: 20181025_openbsd_twm.png (1280x720, 7K)

You know how ipoos and wintards say linux is for servers? This is what they are talking about. This shit isn't usable as a daily driver. Stick to gentoo.

>goucha
>messenger filename
podias ser mais tuga?

Stick with OpenBSD. It'll put hair on your beard. Yeah, it has a steep learning curve. Boohoo that it doesn't boot into Gnome. You can give up or dig in and push through until it is comfortable

I just installed it in Vbox. Going to play with it a bit more when I have time.

So far seems pretty usable has everything that I needed in hte package manager (EMACS, vim, firefox and Texlive ).

The install process is really smooth I was not expecting it.

What's the best BSD for easy desktop use? PC-BSD?

>The install process is really smooth I was not expecting it.
Yes. It's almost perfect. In the past I had to change default answers, but they understand and use sane defaults today.

Yeah. I am dying to play with this a bit more

386BSD

PC-BSD is dead, long live TrueOS.
That said, try both in VM's and pick. OpenBSD devs do eat their dogfood, so some stuff works better there, even if PC-BSD has "more" stuff.

good for a headless machine
shit for desktop

>not using superior Project Trident which has a non-cucked CoC

Because you are wrong

Openbsd is the best BSD derived os for personal use

Although it looks like op opted to enable xenodm, and the default window manager isnt cwm for some reason (which is included and actually good)

Nobody uses openbsd on servers unless they are masochists

Because nano is utter shite

It's a minimal emacs clone, supposedly pretty neat if you are into that

Openbsd. FreeBSD supports more but is harder to use and in my opinion doesn't offer anything over linux these days

Wait I though BSD was best on servers. That's what I read on Jow Forums anyway.

t. No idea what I am talking about just curious on the matter

But they completely igonre his point of Chrome being spyware which collects user data?

>He fell for the BSD meme.
>Joke?
More like a dirty trick.

OpenBSD can't into performance

It's no worse than arch linux desu

>Not liking Manuel Luis Goucha
Cristina Ferreira shill detected

They've been developing it for like 10 years and it's still not ready for production

do you actually have a point to your post beyond "I'm too stupid to understand things that don't look shiny and trendy"

What's the problem? Looks like it works, so now install the software you'd like to use.

I never understood why they include that ugly ass desktop/wm/whatever. It should come with absolutely nothing, like FreeBSD.

I never understood why people gawk and bitch and lose their shit at FVWM instead of just installing whatever shiny packages they need and shutting the fuck up.

Just install whatever window manager you like, it's not that hard.
I don't know whether you should bother, though, as openbsd is pure garbage that's not suitable for any use.

Attached: OpenBSD.png (1024x768, 399K)

Who actually uses fvwm?
:^)

You sound like you want a secure and stable system with a minimal GUI but you're too lazy and dumb to set it up right. So I recommend a Devuan (Debian without systemd) net installation with WindowMaker and GNUStep.

For anyone who isn't OP, you should compile NEXTSPACE for your system.

Attached: GNUstep-liveCD.png (1024x768, 107K)

Me before Motif was open sourced, now I just use mwm.

Absolutely Based & Redpilled. MWM is the white man's graphical environment.

Attached: Screenshot_20181022_112716.png (1280x1024, 161K)

install a de
pkg_add gnome
or pkg_add kde
or pkg_add xfce
as root
now that wasn't so hard was it?

I don't get people that complain about installing OS's.

You literally just follow the fucking instructions. A 6 year old could do it.

I'm not sure if I love this or hate it

Attached: despair but also erection.png (201x160, 34K)

the "octane" prompt applied to a core 2 shitbox laptop gives me hives but the interface itself is very well done

None of my real SGI MIPS machines work. Just let me LARP in peace.

Attached: 1535808617598.jpg (1000x1430, 104K)

openbsd and thinkpad is a gift from god

neither did mine I had to cave and buy a real Octane from ebay
(I did say it was still well done)

But user they're like $400 and I know it's just gonna lead to more heartbreak when the RAM or PSU shits the bed again like in my O2. Most of these computers are old enough to drive and vote now.

Attached: tenor.gif (220x184, 8K)

lol
just install a proper desktop, such as mate works like a charm there.
It isn't more to it than that

Attached: 1537987096367.png (1278x763, 381K)

Wow, openBSD installs X as well?
> the luxury

SGIs can have a shit track record but I think it really just depends on where it's coming from, most of my problem systems came from shitholes like Florida and California while my systems from dry climates or previous owners that cared for them aren't doing bad at all other than minor cosmetic issues

as long as you can get your money's worth of use out of it sooner or later it's not so bad, if you enjoy the IRIX environment that much to do that decent a job of recreating it and use it regularly I think throwing aside a little money here and there towards a really nice example wouldn't be a bad idea at all from that perspective

This is literally what happens when you are a brainlet which needs a graphic baby-stepped setup and a package manager named after a video game character.

OpenBSD is made for real developers that want to create secure and stable software, if you want to spend all your day binge watching anime you're better off to install Ubuntu and bragging to your non-existent friends how secure Linux is.

nice name

IRIX is fantastic but it has no future. I mean it can't even be emulated. It's a completely dead OS and ecosystem. At least with my rice I can run that on any x86-64 Linux box which is almost guaranteed to always be available. The SGI Motif and enhanced widgets are waiting to be used in future applications. I get way newer and more stable versions of XFS, I can use way more file types with it in GIMP and stuff, I get a richer development environment with modern versions of GCC and other GNU tools.

This laptop is better than a real SGI machine in every single way except graphics, I don't do 3D modeling or other CAD stuff anyways. SGI workstations are really just collector's pieces at this point. They're nice to look at but completely outdated.

really not trying to make you buy an SGI system or anything, you just seem to be trying to talk yourself out of something you seem to wish you had and I'm just saying you don't necessarily have to do that if you don't want to, if keeping the interface going keeps it interesting that's perfectly fine, it doesn't really maintain my own interest as well because I never really liked SGI just for 4dwm, there's a lot of fascinating history, architecture and context in these systems and making them displayable and practical means much more to me than just enjoying the interface, otherwise I'd do what you do

mainline development of IRIX is definitely dead and emulation will probably never happen, but the community is still going and in fact with the recent death of Nekochan it's kind of getting reborn as the scene's been taken over by a younger and less retarded crowd that's more interested in keeping the platform alive than cowering in fear of non-existent lawyers from dead companies, as long as people can keep these systems going I don't really see IRIX fading away into nothing like a lot of other SysVs have in the near future.

>I don't do 3D modeling or other CAD stuff anyways.
me neither, I'm more interested in the raw computing and development side of things

>OpenBSD is made for real developers that want to create secure and stable software, if you want to spend all your day binge watching anime you're better off to install Ubuntu and bragging to your non-existent friends how secure Linux is.

Actually, by far the biggest use-case of BSD is most definitely playing video games and nothing else.

Attached: 59SApM9.jpg (728x400, 45K)

GhostBSD pretty good, comes as fully featured desktop distribution with mate desktop. Probably the closest to a usable Linux distro replacement so far.

Window Maker is THE posix window manager

Installing a DE in dragonfly takes one command and modifying 2 conf files. There are even recent youtube videos that show how to install a full working desktop in 10 min.

>Also dragonflyBSD does not come with a graphical interface afaik.
this maybe isn't a jab at you particularly but it always confuses the fuck out me to see comments like these given how smug and overconfident Jow Forums's *nix user base is on the whole

installing X11 and a de/window manager is so fucking trivial and easy as long as you have a network connection