MacOS is excellent. Macbook Pro hardware is pretty decent. Linus Torvalds uses a Macbook...

macOS is excellent. Macbook Pro hardware is pretty decent. Linus Torvalds uses a Macbook. You only hate Macs because of the stereotypical Mac user, the hardware and software are great.

Attached: mac.jpg (775x496, 219K)

Other urls found in this thread:

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html
notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i7-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3.156031.0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

iPhone SE is the only “good” Apple hardware, MacBooks for their price are only decent.

here's why every apple user is a fucking retard:
>sees apple ads in TV about how user friendly macs are ("computers for the rest of us", aka for idiots)
>friends recommend apple products because they are apple users themselves
>"minimalistic" design appeals to the retard, he can't predict that the materials used are designed to be so flimsy to break, also ignores how other products are more ergonomic to use since those aren't just slabs of aluminium
>compares $2000 applel product to the only other laptops he's ever used: $300 walmart trash and is amazed how ""premium"" apple is
>begins to use mac OS and since it's a bit more user friendly he believes it's the greatest thing ever
>now stuck in the apple ecosystem, has to buy a new model every 3 years because some of the hardware broke (planned obsolescence)
>likely a dumb poorfag so he has to take a loan just to buy the fucking computers
>even recommends apple to friends and tries to justify his position with unrealistic claims ("muh special functions only apple has", "I have a higher status in society if people see my computer", "it just werks", "muh special application NEEDS mac OS")

>worst of all, he doesn't even notice how much he has been cucked

tl;dr macfags are fucking retarded

Attached: 1473641856243.jpg (689x571, 55K)

>You only hate Macs because of the stereotypical Mac user,
I only use macs and I still hate apple for this. Going anywhere near the apple store feels like auditioning for a benetton ad.

macOS has no command line package manager

I compare my macbook pro to similarly leveled high end dell computers (of different lines) and to surfaces as well. Windows has better hardware but it's still the worst OS ever created in all of humanity. If you could use macOS on dell laptops I'd be sold but nothing could ever get me to use the raging dumpster fire that is Windows 10

Homebrew is pretty sweet

POO IN LOO

Attached: 1512591164994.jpg (643x960, 256K)

No m8, hardware is actually worse BUT performance is literally better.

>"After our one-hour stress test with Prime95 and FurMark (Windows), the CPU runs at only1.2 GHz, while the graphics card is also limited to just 400 MHz. Even though devices fromAsus,Acer& Co. also throttle, none of the direct rivals loses that much performance. The performance of the MacBook was much better under OS X, but the tools (Cinebench and Unigine Heaven) are not that demanding for the hardware."

notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-Pro-Retina-15-Mid-2015-Review.144402.0.html

>"We had our doubts on the performance of the Surface Pro 4 Core i7 configuration considering the throttling issues found on the Surface Pro 3. Luckily, we can observe no major performance issues when under high loads. The tablet is able to maintain its maximum Turbo Boost of 3.2 GHz for both cores when under Prime95 stress and Unigine Heaven stress."

notebookcheck.net/Face-Off-Microsoft-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i7-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-i5-vs-Surface-Pro-4-Core-m3.156031.0.html

Just to reiterate: the macbook pro laptop has a quad-core processor and surface pro TABLET has a DUAL-CORE processor yet it performs better than the macbook pro.

Attached: latest.jpg (1280x720, 124K)

>that wall of text
>instead of a simple image that gets the same info across in 2 seconds

Attached: 1524054194043.jpg (851x474, 107K)

software is excellent
no
you ant fix it

>macOS is excellent
Nah, it's a fucked up version of BSD with large parts of the userland being proprietary

>Macbook Pro hardware is pretty decent
This was true 4-5 years ago, if you can pick up one of those refurbished they're fine, but the newer unibody models are overpriced and have serious issues that will never be fixed

>Linus Torvalds uses a Macbook
False, he uses a Dell

>Nah, it's a fucked up version of BSD with large parts of the userland being proprietary
Pretty much true but still infinitely better than Windows.

It actually isn't.

Attached: 1512989856891.png (1245x852, 106K)

My OS history chronologically

Windows 7
Ubuntu
OS X
5 year distrohopping period where I extensively used all the major Linux distros - including arch, slack & Gentoo & all the BSDs and would occasionally fire up a Windows 8 or 10 box to see what all the fuss was about.
macOS

Linux & BSD are fucking awesome for servers, firewalls, routers and appliances, but I'm sorry - nothing beats the comfyness and software compatability of macOS.

I understand the engineering aescetic or ethical choice of using something like OpenBSD or Gentoo as a desktop, but it's hard work & a massive time sink.

The "user friendly" distros are a kinda happy medium, but the bottom line is that none of the *nix desktop environments are nearly as polished and bombproof as macOS or even Windows.

Sure you can spend a week fine tuning a minimal tiling window manager workflow, but get used to that for too long, and the moment you sit down at any other computer you're fucked!

TL;Dr Linux/BSD = great for infrastructure or learning, macOS = best for just getting work done on the desktop, Windows = pure garbage for everything.

Wrong. I dislike Macs because of the price. I can build my own with better specs for cheaper.

macos is even worse as far as timesink goes, nothing works properly without tweaking and apple breaks everything with every release
>windows
>polished and bombproof
good one

>macOS is a worse timesink than Linux/BSD

Attached: whatthefuckamireading.jpg (512x512, 116K)

Maybe if apple decides to one day cram two workstation cards into a laptop I'll consider getting one until then they can fuck off.

Attached: gt83-6_1.png (1000x1000, 891K)

>try to do anything
>standard BSD conventions thrown out
>everything is using apple's special snowflake way of doing things
>encounter some weird issue
>apple support forum is useless
>apple store tries to charge you $200 just to look at it
>not open source so can't fix it yourself
>app store has an app that claims to be able to fix it
>buckle and pay the $5
>find out it only works on the previous version of macOS
>try contacting the dev
>he's even less responsive than your average street shitter on github
>try to go through the intentionally frustrating process of requesting a refund from apple
>wonder why you have to deal with all this shit when you paid $2800 for the computer

The fuck are you talking about? Give a concrete example.
If you need a BSD test machine get a BSD test machine.
Using your development machine as a test machine only works when you're developing for the OS you're using.
You wouldn't expect macOS to have Windows conventions if you're developing for Windows.

unironically i have a BSD test machine and it's 100x more useful than macOS
>Give a concrete example.
no, you'll just dismiss them as "not a real issue" or "works on my machine"

>Linus Torvalds uses a Macbook

No, he doesn't, he uses a Dell XPS 15 with Fedora and has for the past 2 years.

>laptop with mechanical keys
That's a cringe from me dawg

Reminder can windows uninstall without needing to use the menu and not get registry problems? Can it keep a program open without having a window of it open? Can it do internal search worth a shit without needing a third party program? Can you actually turn off updates permanently without having a special edition of Windows or getting into some kind of policy-editing nightmare no one should ever have to deal with? macOS has problems and apple are epic faggots but windows is on another level of awful

Nice bait, I will bite.

>>try to do anything
>>standard BSD conventions thrown out
Which conventions exactly?
Nothing, then...

>>everything is using apple's special snowflake way of doing things
Great! Because all we want is an OS that mimics the other OSes...
Just like Linux mimics Windows and Mac, we want Mac to mimic what? Windows? For that, we would use Windows

>>encounter some weird issue
>>apple support forum is useless
Forum?

Don't you have shame or something?

Apple has excellent user documentation, and you should figure it out alone, if you don't, then please go back to Linux... I heard their forums are "excellent".

>>apple store tries to charge you $200 just to look at it
Bullshit, Mr. Rossmann.

Apple store service is FREE.

>>not open source so can't fix it yourself
Nobody has time to fix the 192391823 bugs on Linux, and worse, nobody will fix the problem of bad design with Linux and Windows. The only thing that Linux got right, was copied from UNIX.

>>app store has an app that claims to be able to fix it
Which App?

No, there are no "fix it" apps on the AppStore.

>>buckle and pay the $5
Yeah, BS.

>>find out it only works on the previous version of macOS
All the Apps on the MAS work with the latest Mojave.

ALL.

Or else they will be kicked out.

Meanwhile on Linux package managers... most of the packages can't even be fucking installed.

>>try contacting the dev
Again, BS.

>>he's even less responsive than your average street shitter on github
Again, BS.

>>try to go through the intentionally frustrating process of requesting a refund from apple
Again, BS.

>>wonder why you have to deal with all this shit when you paid $2800 for the computer
Again, BS. There are Apple computers for way less than that, and if you can't affoard an Apple computer, then you should look after your life because you are on the fucking poverty.

Look ma, I edited a screenshot of TextEdit.

We Macintosh users know we are superior and have nothing to prove to those less fortunate.

>we macintosh users shit in the street and have nothing to prove to toilet users

Attached: 1534357124652.jpg (643x960, 256K)

Linus hasn't used a macbook in years.

>Macports
>Homebrew
You were saying?

>Which conventions exactly?
yeah man i remember that time in freebsd when i had to dig around through a bunch of proprietary binaries in /System/Library/Frameworks/Services/Applications/Agents/CoreSupport/ just to get programs to run
>Apple has excellent user documentation
the only "user docs" apple publishes are geared towards retards, i don't need a guide to know how to organize my bookmarks in safari or how to buy a song on itunes
>Apple store service is FREE.
you should tell that to the last 5 apple stores i've been to
>Nobody has time to fix the 192391823 bugs on Linux
it's a shame that with a trillion dollars apple still can't find time to fix bugs in macos either
>Or else they will be kicked out.
except apple's testing policy is shit and misses stuff all the time, it's ironic that they depend on user testing just as much as debian
>you are on the fucking poverty
me being able to afford one or not doesn't change that apple computers are complete garbage

>macOS is excellent.
Correct
>Mac hardware decent
Incorrect.
They're impossible to repair and are always operating in such high temperature that they always cook themselves to death.

The hardware is overpriced, lately shitty (see macbook keyboards) and hard to repair. Software is non-free and encourages you to install more non-free software via the app store.
I'm much happier with gentoo running on my macbook clone.

OS X is a much better UX than Windows, and so far I've been able to do anything I've wanted to in terms of customization.
Probably the two best features are: Applescript capabilities are written into almost every application, which means I can run workflows I made in Automator to complete repetitive tasks for me; and the Bonjour protocol that makes any device in the Apple ecosystem communicate completely seamlessly. I can network to my roommate's Mac and browse it just like it's my own, and several of my phone's apps connected to my computer without needing any configuration
Hackintosh life best life

>1tb SSD costs £150, £200-250 if you want the fastest ones
>to upgrade from 126gb to 256gb with a mac it costs £180
>to upgrade from 126gb to 1tb it costs £800, that's 800. Reminder you could buy 4tb of samsung 970 NVMe SSDs for this price.

apple faggots will defend this kind of fucking bullshit, their prices are stuck in 2014. Every single part of it is overprices by an insane amount. Even the ram is the same deal, you pay 2x what you would for any other laptop

>apple faggots will defend this kind of fucking bullshit
Nobody in this thread defended the prices. Only macOS itself and to a certain degree the hardware.

Point still stands. development machines are for development. You can't test on your development machine if it doesn't match the OS you're developing for. You can't even test on BSD if you're developing for Linux and vice-versa.

All you faggots do is suck apple dick! Jesus every time I come to this board you faggots are complaining about how others spend their money. OSX just works and looks/feels great. If you want to buy a Mac just stop capping and buy one you faggots.

I would say also Fink, but they are a few versions behind

FreeBSD has a Linux compatibility layer, so you could get away with that actually.

>you could get away with that

spbp
ipoojeets SEETHING

Attached: 1513059563832.png (813x1402, 369K)

pkgin, homebrew, pkgsrc, macports, fink, app store

For

His post has sources to back his quotes retard, yours just looks like another Jow Forums shitpost

>When you have USB C ports on everything but your phones still use Lightning

Attached: 1521131658205.png (569x540, 274K)

I don't really hate any of it, people are allowed to waste their money however they want. Some people by Apple shit, others by other manufactures shit.

Literally none of this applies to me, you seem to to confirm what OP says.

>Jow Forums complaining about wasting money when they buy $500 mechanical keyboards and $1000 headphones

Attached: autism.gif (608x788, 34K)

Got a free mac when i left company

>mouse goes behind windows....
>resizing a window still fails to show the icon.
>have to enter a credit card to download a free app from app store.
>freezes up doing absolutely ordinary shit.
>have to go out of your way to access entire file structure in the finder.
>if you dont actually eject usb drives it will fuck them over eventually
>itunes
>iphoto
>cord and charger get grimy as fuck and fall apart for no reason.

Other than the build quality and the unixlike OS these computers suck dick and are way over priced.

Multiple consecutive niggers

>The hardware is great
I don't have an opinion on the software, but come on. The hardware is the textbook example of form over function in so many instances. They're too concerned with making fashion statements for me to take them seriously.

Attached: 1470031290626.png (337x367, 257K)

Yes to all but that last one. The fact you don't know this means you either haven't used W10, or you're to stupid to use it. Likely both.

MacOS is a buggy shitty version of BSD, and it is cautioned against by sciences and engineering because of poor computation accuracy stemming from Apple's buggy contributions to their degenerated BSD fork. It's only good as a Facebook machine.

It's the perfect thin client OS. Nice UI, *nix base with ssh and other familiar tools, commercial support if there is something you need to run, an X server that can run alongside Quartz for X11 forwarding, etc.

You defend and enforce it by purchasing it

As an amendment to this post I must also say that recent Apple hardware is garbage.

The last good Macs are the pre space grey/shitty scissor switch keyboard macbooks.

I will never upgrade my 2015 MBP or MBA until they start using a keyboard that has more than 2mm travel & have a decent array of ports again.

Basically I won't be buying a MacBook ever again, which is a fucking shame.

FTFY

Attached: 1540490676014.jpg (775x496, 129K)