Let's have a microcontroller thread. Post cool stuff you've made

Let's have a microcontroller thread. Post cool stuff you've made.

Attached: lopySide-1.png (1000x1000, 342K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aliexpress.com/item/1set-UNO-R3-MEGA328P-ATMEGA16U2-for-Arduino-Compatible-USB-Cable-Free-Shipping/32727299178.html
digikey.com/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/STM32F3DISCOVERY/497-13192-ND/3522185
youtube.com/watch?v=-3HrNo_Wx1E
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Something.....I made?

I only have strong opinions about what other people have made..

you think anyone here actually does anything cool with electronics? They just come here to bitch about OS brands and argue about trivial computer shit to make them feel better about their position on the totem pole.

All I can say is that on AliExpress you can buy a Z80 clone for like £0.75.

Someone has to do something cool with that.

I made two IR tranceivers using Atmega microcontrollers and IR leds and IR photo resistors. Sent a string cross the living room.

No fuck you, this really should be Jow Forums.

How many times can people bite the "Linux fuggin sux, pr0ve me rong" bait?

im Kinda doing some micro controller for a micro robot but I suck in the soldering stuff. Here I come silicon valley.

Made a binary clock out of a $1 PIC and a crystal using only assembler.
I learned a lot about myself during the 3 days I debugged this shit.
I'm on the road and don't have pictures.
I recommend anyone doing something like this. Embeddet asm is art.

I made a plant monitor that monitors the moisture level in the soil, the temperature and the light. It currently only displays it's output on the shitty OLED display and the RGB LED on the controller changes it's to green when the situation is optimal. I'm planning to connect it to a dashboard of some kind so you can remotely check on the plant. It's probably useless and gay but I'm having fun tinkering with it.

Attached: 20181025_204122-1.jpg (2388x2037, 497K)

Hardware keylogger built into keyboards with an esp8266. You can decode low speed usb signals with it with some trickery.

Attached: 129.gif (200x200, 144K)

Having fun its all you need to work.

any 6502?
68000 maybe?

>lopy
these things are absolute pieces of shit
I'm trying to recompile the firmware because of how shit it is by default

for fuck's sake

is there a all in one promicro without modules?
im unable to find one, every single solution has at least three modules, main board, Bluetooth and the one in charge of the battery. I was thinking about making one but its a bit tedious for a beginner, maybe someone with more skills could just take the open source schematics and build a single pcb out of them...

I made a GameCube modchip using an Atmega8 once. It was pretty fun.

Now I'm trying to interface esp8266 with an Arduino Nano.
It's not hard but PLCs made me lazy.

Attached: 1540494279936.jpg (850x850, 110K)

I just looked and yeah they exist.

Just ordered some of these from China, lads. Thinking about getting a STM32F3 for the DSP instructions as well for relatively decent FFT performance, maybe it'll be good enough for audio signal processing stuff.

Otherwise i'm mucking about with an Arduino Nano clone making a MIDI sequencer with 16 rotary encoders, want to see if I can read them through a couple of I/O expanders over I2C.

Attached: stm32f103c8t6.png (661x532, 369K)

Using an ESP8266 to get my Minitel browsing Jow Forums. The software isn't very far yet.

Attached: photo_2018-10-24_21-09-54.jpg (1280x995, 116K)

absolute fucking madman

Attached: 1530581377496.gif (500x490, 971K)

This
Jow Forums is full of autists arguing about same shit everyday. Just 10% (except generals) are good discussion threaads

Translating the documentation is painful. But I'm close to having a complete library to talk to it with.

Attached: IMG_20180919_040523.jpg (3574x2053, 979K)

i just ordered 200 transistors and shit and will attempt at making a basic calculator
i have no clue how its gonna werk but i'm autistic enough to keep goin at it

good thread

oh the 1.0 version pictured is PARTICULARLY shit because it only has 512k RAM, also used by the obese uPython implementation, leaving you with like 50k with barely any proper memory management

the later, 4MB ones are less disgusting in that aspect at least

Basé et rougepilulé.

I reach a 2.2km link

Attached: dice.jpg (1148x1280, 239K)

LoRA? Also was it line of sight? I really want to start playing with these low power radios.

Linux does suck.
How it's a bait?
Internet would be so much better if everything would run on windows.

I've worked with LoRa a fair bit and it was such a huge pain in the ass getting everything to work.
I like the RFM-69HCW radios better.

>STM32F3
thats what most quadcopters use for their flight controller
i have an F1 but planning on getting an F4

bad b8 m8

This /csg/ board runs a GUI on a 320x240 LCD with nifty stuff like gradients, bar graphs and multiple proportional fonts, all from 16 kB of Flash and 4 kB of RAM.

>meanwhile the board to the left that feeds data to it has 2 DSPs with 32 MB of memory each lol

Attached: DSC_0040-1.jpg (1000x1333, 214K)

>Arduino with multiple I/O expanders for encoders

Just get a STM32 board with a shit ton of direct I/Os. Way more flexible when it comes to debouncing, and if you're ever putting this into production, expanders aren't cost-efficient if you can replace everything with a single LQFP48 or LQFP64 chip.

I'm developing an aquarium controller using an STM32F746NG development board with TouchGFX and Freertos. It has a custom PCB attached on the back.
It werks, but I keep adding more stuff, the next thing is Ethernet connection.

Attached: stm32.png (1080x810, 1.64M)

No LoRa, it's NRF24L01 high power modules (4$ each). Yes, there was direct vision over the sea (one of the modules was inside my car), It was not the limit of these modules, because they reached 100% of the packages :)

The fuck you're talking about?
There's literally no need for Linux.
Windows does everything much better.
Tell me again, how multibillion company couldn't make better product than some hipsters and neckbeards?
Pro tip: they made it and it's name is windows

I'm in the process of designing as tiltrotor UAV, anyone know what controller I should use?
Planning for it to be semi autonomous with autonomous takeoff and landing as well as following Aa flight path.

That seems like overkill for something that only controls a few relays and thermocouples. You gotta put more animated icons and other UI glitter on it so that processor is put to use.
Doesn't that board have Ethernet already, though?

aliexpress.com/item/1set-UNO-R3-MEGA328P-ATMEGA16U2-for-Arduino-Compatible-USB-Cable-Free-Shipping/32727299178.html

IT'S BEEN A MONTH ALREADY, REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Get an STM32-Nucleo or discovery board. They have a lot of GPIO pins and some have even native USB support (you can program it to work as a MIDI device or HID or whatever you want)
The MBED cloud IDE is kinda like Arduino, the code is very similar and it has a lot of libraries. IDK why itsn't more known.

There are some animations on menus, I'm adding more stuff like notifications for maintenance and such. Anyway I just made it for the keks.
The board has Ethernet but I have to program it yet, that isn't easy.

I want to make a control surface to play flight simulators/ksp, but I'm still trying to find an app like DroidMote that I can customize the controls with sliders and knobs.

I feel like writing flight control software for that is gonna be hella complex if you're starting from scratch. So I'd start with something fast and easy to debug, like the board has, and fly the prototype tethered. Once you have ironed out the algorithms and have an idea of how much processing power you need, then you can choose an appropriate low power MCU for autonomous operation.

i made blink thing with only 32 bits. rate

Attached: blinky.webm (1280x720, 1.33M)

Mbed is not more known because it's not nearly as dumb and simple as Arduino, and yet too bloated if you want to make something efficient. I tried it and got disgusted in a couple days.
Just install TrueStudio, or Keil if you only need STM32F0.

My ricer keyboard runs on two of these. I didn't dive into programming microcontrollers yet, sadly

Attached: IMG_20181025_234115.jpg (4608x2034, 1.56M)

I thought Ethernet was pretty straightforward on those boards since there are pre-made FreeRTOS+lwIP examples?

Does the STM32 have enough direct I/O for 16 encoders though? Maybe 16 plus one or two more, even. It's going to need 2 pins per encoder, isn't it? Unless reading them via that analogue hack maybe. I'll probably be moving to STM32 in any case, just to give me more RAM to play with when reading SD cards - any way of splitting SD card filesystems into pages that fit in RAM, I wonder?

I'm using a cheapo Arduino Nano clone with a photoresistor to read ambient light intensity which is then fed into an application running on my PC in order to adjust the brightness of my monitors automatically. It's actually really nice to have everything switch to an appropriate profile, it's the sort of thing I didn't know I missed until I had it.

I also made a controller for PWM computer fans. I got fed up with shitty fan control most mobos offered at the time so I made my own, now I can get automatic fan curves based on pretty much any data point, not just CPU and/or mobo temps.

Ethernet itself yes, but things like MQTT, HTTP servers... are less documented.

They're made in different packages with different number of I/Os. E.g. the most basic STM32F0 can have between 15 and 55 I/Os depending on package, from TSSOP20 (as seen in ) to LQFP64 (pic related).

Attached: Free-shipping-STM32F0308DISCOVERY-Discovery-kit-for-STM32F030-Value-line-with-STM32F030R8-MCU.jpg (800x800, 117K)

Attached: 201810251.webm (640x427, 702K)

I don't know why these exist, when these exist for half the price.

cool clock ahmed

Attached: 041248.webm (540x960, 2.93M)

To be honest those "$5 all in one computer" shitpost threads featuring that ESP with an OLED screen on it turned into out to be our regular microcontroller threads for a while, and they were fucking awful. Even now we've got a "I bought an arduino, what do I do with it" thread, which isn't looking too much better.

So no, you can keep the MCU thread here.

Because they're not an absolute ass to program. If you're one of those tarduino fags that is.

Attached: All in one shill.jpg (1235x5269, 2.3M)

Been working on a similar project for my commodore.

Because it's more difficult to program and less documentation

When I'm done here I want to get a DOS client written. I've been looking at the mTCP source code and it looks nice and easy to work with.

Attached: lain.jpg (6000x4000, 1.8M)

Sadly the esp8266 didn't skyrocket in the hobbiest forums as soon as people realized what they could do. It was only after someone released an Arduino plugin. Never underestimate how much "easy" plays into the popularity of these things.

OK thanks.
Yea I'm going to make a 3d printed protoype and make it work before making the full scale one with metal.

Meant for
VVV

Oh, nice. I'll look out for an F3 of one of those.

STM32 development has vastly improved since I started using them a few years ago. ST-Link gizmos are like $3 on aliexpress (and provide actual debugging unlike Arduino), TrueStudio is now free and comes with STM32 support built-in so you don't have to dick around assembling a toolchain yourself, and while STM32Cube is kind of shitty (I prefer the old StdPeriph library), you essentially have to deal with it once.
Arduino is still simpler, sure, but it becomes frustratingly limiting once you try to do something more complex than flashing LEDs. A few times I thought "Hey, this is relatively simple shit, I'll just use my Nano for this" and then ended up with a mess of a program that set most of the registers manually because the API wouldn't let me do what I wanted, and used arcane optimizations because the CPU is slow and has no DMA.

digikey.com/product-detail/en/stmicroelectronics/STM32F3DISCOVERY/497-13192-ND/3522185

/diy/ already has a good general for this

Simple IS important, you don't want to have to learn Emacs if all you need is change a number in a config file. There's quite a lot of hardware platforms that may look good on paper, but require a paid IDE, arcane knowledge of toolchains, dependencies and initialization code, or both. But I feel like Cortex-Ms are now at a point where they aren't impenetrable for a beginner, and they provide a much better introduction to what MCUs can do because you can start with blinky LEDs and then move up to things like interrupts, ADC/DAC, DMA etc. without switching to a completely different platform, and the underlying library code is much less simplified and obscured than in Arduino.

that an iris? was thinking of getting one but I'm worried about the lack of bottom row. do the thumb keys make up for it?

Attached: wantTHIS.jpg (1416x1424, 464K)

As I said over in arduino thread in /diy/...

>usb keylogger with wifi
This project has been sidelined for such a long time. I have 99% of it working.

>125khz rfid reader
I have the reader running. Waiting for other hardware to come in, and make duplicator next.. or a spoofer most likely.

t-thanks

I put together a circuit to authenticate with my DESFire RFID implant using a Teensy board.

I'll be using it as a keyless entry system to my car.

Attached: RFID Circuit.jpg (2144x1424, 1.64M)

This is cool. What are you using it for?

nice

You're a gentleman and a scholar. Please share more!

My present project. The board I designed arrived two weeks ago. It's using one of new new dual core 200MHz dsPICs.

It's for digitizing video so I need an external SDRAM chip. That micro had a lot of features I really liked but no SDRAM controller. I figured I could do that in code with the second core but It's a lot more difficult than I expected. Nobody does this.

Attached: DSCN6503.jpg (2272x1704, 932K)

The pre-PCB build. I wanted to get everything working before designing a PCB but long wires and capacitors too far from the chips was causing problems.

Attached: DSCN6497.jpg (2272x1704, 914K)

>You're a gentleman and a scholar.
I've only ever heard absolute faggots utter this phrase.

Attached: DX8wTQxUQAAQctK.jpg (1021x576, 88K)

What exactly are you trying to do? On some quick checking, there's actually Linux support for the Minitel 1 terminals and a ludicrious amount of other terminals, so you only need to convert the voltages so that it can be hooked up to a newer serial port.

I made an IPv4 enabled two-factor authentication lock. I wanted to keep going and even make it talk to a Linux C&C server, but I lost interest.

I CANNOT fucking figure out PIC boards. Fuck pic assembly, i have a more fun time messing with x86 sim

Sadly this is true. Any good microcontroller discussion is usually on /diy/

I'm currently building a noise controlled radio for my parrot. Just waiting on some parts from China (either that or pay the 400% mark-up for local). Once that's done I'll thinking of making a remote control car. I haven't put much thought into it. Any pointers?

I don't understand

>video
Why pic and not a proper dsp then

nice my dude. What sensor are you using for moisture

dsPICs are PICs with built in DSP hardware. I've already got the analog video decoder working properly, it's just writing it into this damn SDRAM chip that's giving me a headache.

Hes basically wifi enabling his old computer

Jesus christ this looks like the inside of a radio from the 40s

Post libraries pls

It was just a test, the end result will be to control a petrol engine to make a snowboard rope tow in the mountains

That involves having a terminal dangled off a real computer. Why not just have a dongle that plugs in the back and lets the terminal do one job well.

The ESP8266 is a WiFi capable microcontroller.
That means it can talk to the Jow Forums API and talk to the terminal over serial to draw out the UI and respond to keystrokes.

Esp8266s are lots of fun. I also recommended the esp32 which is their beefier model and has Bluetooth. I used one to put some neopixels on my bicycle and controlling everything with Bluetooth.

I used an esp8266 to dispense a vodka shot when I die in WoW. Useless project, but fun to make. youtube.com/watch?v=-3HrNo_Wx1E

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 185K)

fuck i want that shot thing for raiding nights with my guild

I programmed a small scale elevator on my highscool on a Siemens PLC. Also made a pneumatic press controlled by it and a crossroad with a traffic light with pedestrian switches.
In uni I made a pattern fill with a Zilog Z80, but broke when soldered to the board.
Now I want to buy a Arduino Nano an make a ultrasonic range finder, pretty useful in filmmaking and extremely easy to program, also they sell for like 6k usd so i won't fucking pay for that if i can make one myself

Attached: cinematography-electronics-cine-tape-measuring-system_v1.medium.jpg (588x332, 22K)

I know, but from what I've read in the manuals, DSP instructions, DMAs and external memory interface are pretty kludgy on dsPIC compared to something like SHARC. I understand why dsPIC is a thing (they have to do something with the PIC line since pure 16-bit MCUs are obsolete), but I don't see why you'd choose it unless you have a lot of code for PIC already.

still really bad b8. 0/10

stm32 is what 90% of flight controllers use

>That involves having a terminal dangled off a real computer.
You do know that's what terminals were designed to do.

Attached: entry9.jpg (407x391, 82K)