Where the hell are the OLED monitors?

Where the hell are the OLED monitors?

Attached: lenovo-thinkvision-28-4k-android-monitor.jpg (1734x957, 348K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qaUqfBlHHm4
youtube.com/watch?v=7AgWBTgm4lM
oled-info.com/joled-develop-high-end-gaming-monitors-collaboration-japanese-professional-e-sport-team
overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1705272-oled-info-joled-develop-high-end-gaming-monitors-collaboration-japanes.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>burn in

If we have OLED TVs we can make OLED monitors.

failed experiment.
people wont pay $1000 for a monitor

can you rephrase the question?

if lcd was invented after oled it would replace it

OLED is trash

you can expect microleds in 5 years. pretty much singularity from there on since they will have perfect colors and viewing angles with no burn-in

Samsung and has microLED panels in production now, they're going to be releasing some TVs shortly. They'll probably have some smaller models in early 2019, and it won't be long after that when they launch desktop monitors with microLED panels.
The tech is already here.

>2018
>still cant achieve the color black on a monitor

Attached: cry doc.gif (245x204, 521K)

MicroLEDs are way too expensive to make and that's not changing anytime soon. Samsung knows this, which is why they've been ramping up plans for QD-OLED (quantum dot + OLED).

even leds are still shit, it'll be two decades before oled stops sucking so much balls

Flawed technology.
DOAd by Qled

Just how important can it be to have true black on a screen?

Pretty important for le spooky gaymes and movies in the dark

Not an issue on LCD displays, given it's not the one on a laptop.

>black is a color

Attached: 1538353678682.jpg (700x1050, 32K)

All LCD panel types suck shit in the dark. VA is the best, but crushes blacks in the middle and washes out at the edges.

LCD has some fundamental limitations, and all they can do at this point is add expensive kludges for incremental improvements (see local dimming).

Attached: VA vs IPS vs TN.jpg (2138x512, 34K)

they did in the past

they're burning in hell

anything that brings you closer to reality is an improvement for artists who need color calibrated monitors.
for the same reason it is an improvement for those who need to immerse themselves into something, whether it be a movie or a game or otherwise.
"you call that black but it's actually just shining a really weak white light at me. yeah I'm looking at a screen all right"

>LCD has some fundamental limitations, and all they can do at this point is add expensive kludges for incremental improvements (see local dimming).
So does OLED. The only alternative is microLED, but it remains to be seen when it becomes commercially viable for monitors and smartphone displays.

Dell made one and it was shit:
youtube.com/watch?v=qaUqfBlHHm4
youtube.com/watch?v=7AgWBTgm4lM

Before micro led, AU Optronics will flood the market with misleading mini leds:

>Mini LED development for improvements in HDR beyond FALD backlights

>There are also plans to develop further HDR-capable panels with a new "mini LED" technology that will offer improvements in HDR local dimming capability over current Full Array Local Dimming (FALD) backlights. Mini LED offers much smaller chip sizes than normal LED and so can allow AUO to offer far more local dimming zones than even the current/planned FALD backlights that we've seen so far. Those FALD backlights have been limited to around 384 dimming zones on already announced 27" and 32" sized panels that are in production, certainly offering improvements in dimming capability compared with say, edge-lit panels. The new mini LED backlight systems will support more than 1000 zones on a planned 32" panel, that's expected to go in to production in Q1 2019. They are a long way away, and that date could well slip, but it's interesting to see what's coming around the corner with mini LED backlights. Considering the production cost of Mini LED is still relatively high, AUO will first launch the Mini LED-lit gaming monitor, according to Michael Tsai, President and Chief Operating Officer at AUO. The company expects customers in the gaming monitor segment to have a higher price tolerance it is said from recent press releases. In the future, expect to see even smaller "micro LED" production to offer even more zones and direct backlighting for HDR displays. There are no dates or expectations from AUO on the use of micro LED yet though.

>The planned 32" panel with mini LED will be an AHVA (IPS-type) technology panel and will offer an Ultra HD 3840 x 2160 resolution, 600 cd/m2 brightness (1000 cd/m2 peak), 10-bit colour depth, 99% Adobe RGB gamut and will have two refresh rate options - a 60Hz version and even a planned 144Hz version (with 8-bit colour depth on the 144Hz option we believe).

Source: tftcentral

>burn in

>So does OLED
It's better than LCD on nearly every metric. Its single significant disadvantage quality-wise compared to LCD is burn in. If they can mitigate that to a point where it's a non-issue for typical usage scenarios, it will be the deathknell for LCD.

MICRO LED YOU FAGGOTS JUST WAIT

Attached: 19FE3D1A-861B-40EB-9BEB-14CC0C1119ED.gif (276x260, 1.08M)

CRTs don't have this problem

>Burn in

I like watching crime news.

Attached: 200 - cEynmDy.jpg (436x462, 25K)

I use a 55inch OLED TV as a monitor, you get burn in if you don't baby the shit out of it. That means screen saver after 2min, no task bar, and full screen on web pages. Also, watching Twitch causes almost immediate image retention.

>JUST WAIT
Enjoy waiting forever. Micro led at any decent pixel density will be expensive as fuck.

If they're too expensive to make they wouldn't already be in production. Samsung's MicroLED TVs are up for preorder, and they're bringing more models out next year.
They're going to be cheaper to produce than OLED panels.

>The TVs are offered in 4 sizes - 110-inch (Full-HD), 130" (Full-HD), 220-inch (UHD/4K) and 260-inch (UHD/4K). The prices range from around $137,000 for the 110" to $480,000 for the 260-inch TV
$137k for a 1080p TV, what a fuckin' deal

oled-info.com/joled-develop-high-end-gaming-monitors-collaboration-japanese-professional-e-sport-team

overclock.net/forum/225-hardware-news/1705272-oled-info-joled-develop-high-end-gaming-monitors-collaboration-japanes.html

Attached: 1449800820683.jpg (250x240, 28K)

>he thinks CRTs have good blacks
have you ever seen one in real life?

To be fair, at the distance you have to sit away from a 110" TV, the resolution difference won't really be noticeable.

>check to see how the latest tellies are doing
>oh wow the latest LG OLED has hardware calibration, I might actually buy this
>it requires $1000 in calman software and hardware to generate and upload a trivial piece of math, something which monitors could do since at least 2002 when Philips was serious about monitors

VA doesn't crush blacks if it's properly set up by the manufacturer.

If you can't mass print the tech into illuminated room wallpaper like OLED can, it's old tech.

In a fucking trashcan! VA a best.

>off-axis gamma shift
>smearing

VA does have big problems at monitor distances. Black crush is a remediable issue on the mfr's side. I know because I used a 3500:1 Eizo model that was crush free with a nice 2.2 gamma.

TN is still the best and no memes will change that.

>IPS
That's just backlight leaking, you fucking retard.

If it were representing the error at 40 IRE grey, that depiction would be accurate.

>120hz
>microled
Dunno how long it will take but I'll wait.

It's rediculous, Panasonic OLED have dead on "delta zero" color out of the box and you just upload your LUT through a USB/SD card for the onboard processor but nobody sells a pop down self calibrating tool that does it in one step like on Eizo monitors.

For all intents and purposes, it is, you fucking pedantic nigger

Well I have the colorimeter around, so if Panasonic offers the capability I'll take a serious look at it. Pity NEC isn't offering a model as I like Spectraview.

never ever my friend

it will still take 5 years to get them into an acceptable price range
first tvs will be around 20k. think about it in 5 years like I said. they will be in the price range oleds are now. still "expensive" but the price is basically nothing since for the first time in forever you will actually get an upgraded display which is vastly superior to everything else. not just some new fad like plasma etc. - a display so good you won't have to upgrade for a looong time

>Also, watching Twitch causes almost immediate image retention.
it also causes the immediate loss of braincells

Fundamentally flawed, quantum dots are the way forward, preferably printable high emission qdots, which are being demonstrated for fabrication now.

im getting into video editing and this actually kills me. why is it so difficult to achieve black? even the top end benq monitors that are like 1k+ look like shit

What about miniaturization? You're going to want at least 100 ppi for TV and 180 ppi for desktop.

TN is a fucking meme itself.

>50 years after xray vision tubes are dead
>still can't make a decent display
>eating shit has become generational tradition to the point nobody finds the smell and undigested peanuts in any way strange

i own a cheap amva+ and i dont experience anything like those.

>CRT boomers think that their outdated flickering crap with overscan producing blurry eye-poking mess on the screen isn't the same as eating shit

so shit they burn in before they can be sold

CRT is absolute dogshit technology
>flickers
>damages the eyes
>pollutes the environment
>sucks up tons of power
>huge
>tiny screen
>improper geometry
>sd resolutions
Yeah,well, fuck you and all crt idiots.

It takes all colors to make a rainbow... except black.

>OLED
Burn in

LCDs are incapable of blocking 100% of the light from the backlight

How did they overlook this when they were hyping them up 5 years ago?

To be fair, you need to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty

I have a 2 year old phone with an oled screen.
Burn in is not as bad as I expected. If I have a blank white screen I can barely see it, but it's pretty much impossible to see during use.
I don't think it's viable for monitors though, having the same task bar at the same place for 10 hours could cause severe burn ins.
I really hope the technology keeps getting better and the screens last longer. Let me tell you, anything black on your screen looks so much better on oled.

Zonal lighting and HDR is sure the thing to be wanting more than just "OLED".

There were high rez and refresh rate microled monitors for a fraction of the price of any OLED, it is the first generation so I'd wait for the next.
I'm sure I saw a few last time I looked and was surprised at the price.

Local dimming is the next step. say have upward of 24 zones.

>it will still take 5 years to get them into an acceptable price range
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

It'll take them 5 years to get them below 75", Samsung's not even talking about affordable microled TVs any time soon.

I assume you're talking about "LED"/"QLED" monitors/TVs. Those are just regular old LCDs with LED and quantum dot-enhanced LED backlights, respectively. All those things do is give you thinner and more efficient displays and slightly better colors than the old CCFL backlights. They're still just LCD and so suffer all the problems LCDs have with displaying true black, off-axis viewing, glow, uniformity, slow pixel transitions, etc. LED/QLED has nothing to do with MicroLED.

Yeah they were Samsung quantum dot monitors. I've mentioned something in this thread a few times and it's zonally lit monitors is where dark tones can be be improved immensely and colour intensity.
More areas to go wrong and can have issues but the tech can be something that really helps in the upcoming years on monitors.
I was looking for a 4k tv last month and looked at reviews of most of the tv's out there, many forums, thought maybe it's just better getting a big monitor.

Local dimming has been around (in TVs) for quite a few years, though they haven't been in monitors until this year (from ASUS and Acer and cost $2k). Those monitors have 384 dimming zones, but the problem you get with local dimming is haloing. That's where you've got a small bright object on a dark background (e.g. a mouse cursor) and a large chunk of the background is lighter because of how much larger the dimming zones are than the object. Can be pretty distracting in certain circumstances.

The real next step is local dimming using Mini LED (not to be confused with Micro LED. It's still a backlight for LCD, but allows them to up the zone count into the thousands so each zone will be smaller, and therefore haloing less noticeable. It will probably require a zone count in the tens or hundreds of thousands to really make haloing a non-issue, though. Still, 100k LEDs is a lot more achievable than making all 24 million subpixels of a 4k display from LEDs, as is the case with Micro LED (and why they're so expensive).

>thought maybe it's just better getting a big monitor
Monitors generally have worse quality than TVs at a given price point.

Ah yes, haloing effect, didn't realise that. Well surely some developements will happen and costs will go down.
I was looking for aq big screen to replace my bed tv which I use as a monitor, I have monitors at my desk.
Thinking a 32 inch VA panel 1440p. Might even be happy with 1080p considering the tv I use is 720p.
Kind of, I don't need it to be 49" and up you see, just 32 or whatever, there are plenty of decent options. As I said in the upper post, it's to improve on the 720 tv I have as a third "monitor"
Probably VA for the better contrast, I've only got IPS monitors atm.