How come only one company makes decent phone screens

and even they are easy to scratch and so shit.
After all those years there is no reliable screen which doesn't scratch by just being held in the pocket.
Why so? Is it so that we change phones more often or are just glass manufacturers incompetent?

Attached: Screenshots_2014-03-13-09-25-29-1600x1063.png (1600x1063, 1.33M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/OkJQguSNekk
surmet.com/technology/alon-optical-ceramics/index.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Stop carrying rocks around in your pocket with it.

Just don't put other things in the same pocket as your phone, it isn't difficult baka san

This
I've had my Note 5 with no screen protector for 3 years now and it doesn't have a scratch, though I also have a flip case on it.

phone screens nowadays are actually hard enough that keys and coins won't scratch it
>youtu.be/OkJQguSNekk

Because nobody would pay 2500$ for a phone using ALON or similar.
surmet.com/technology/alon-optical-ceramics/index.php

I've literally never gotten a scratch on a phone since the advent of glass screens, because I keep only my phone in my left pocket and nothing else, ever.

soft material like plastic:
scratches easily because it's soft, but resists drops because it absorbs the shock like jelly

hard material like glass:
resists scratches because it's hard, but cannot absorb drops because it's hard and doesn't bend.

It's literally pick your poison. Scratch resistance and shatter resistance.

But what if you could have a soft glass that bends under shock, but has a very thin hard layer on top of it that resists scratches?
That's kinda what gorilla glass and similar are trying to do.
That yields better results, but it's still a pick your poison.

Haven't glass screens always been hard enough?
Keys and coins are quite soft.

>ALON® or Aluminum Oxynitride is an amazing and unique transparent advanced ceramic that is polycrystalline (made from powder) with a cubic spinel crystal structure. In the popular media andin the Star Trek community, it is commonly referred to asTransparent Aluminum. Surmet is the only company globally, that manufactures ALON®.

>Taking over the development of ALON® from a laboratory demonstration stage in 2002, Surmet is proud to announce the commercial availability of ALON® in large volumes and in really large sizes. Over the last 12 years, Surmet has invested large sums of monies to build up its vertically integrated optical ceramics manufacturing capability. Surmet gratefully acknowledges US DOD funding help in this accomplishment. Creating such a capability required a great deal of patience and attention to detail, and complete commitment, as the return on investment for new technology materials is a slow, uncertain and painstaking endeavor.

This reads like a pooinloo crypto scam.
>large sum of monies
>really large sizes
>gratefully acknowledges

There's even a star trek reference in their, wouldn't touch that company or its products if they gave shit away for free

Photography lenses have coatings on them that are very scratch resistant despite being incredibly thin.
Also reduces reflections and improves light transmission, which is their real purpose.

I don't know if phone screens have similar coatings, but it's not hard to do just a bit expensive.

Yea, their product is actually fucking sweet though. Transparent bullet proof ceramic.

That's because it uses godlike gorilla glass 4. It may be slightly less resistant to cracking from drops, but boy does gorilla glass 5 scratch a fuckton from just day to day usage (no keys, anything in my pocket) compared to gorilla glass 4.
i've been using a note 4 and an htc u ultra in the same conditions. the ultra is full of micro scratches and some bigger ones while the note is pretty much in perfect condition. i've always memed on screen protectors and still don't use them, however any GG5 phone needs them.

I kept my Z5 Compact caseless for the last 2+ years and it isn't scratched (outside of the shit plastic camera lense)

same. I don't even use cases, or screen covers for the most part.

Tempered glass screen protector

plastic screen with an easily removable glass protector.

there you go, you got that scratch resistant glass top along with a not breaking plastic main screen

basedboy. You need that liquid glass screen protector faggot

Only if you have an LCD screen. If it's OLED you'd do better with organic glass.

Youd be better off with a case. Screen protectors are total and utter bullshit

The only "modern" phone I scratched (by modern I mean Moto G1 onwards, when budget smartphones started to be usable) was the Moto G5. It has 2 small scratches and I have no idea how they came to be.

If you carry around a smartphone, don't just put it in the same pocket where you have your keys. I haven't had anything with "gorilla glass" suffer much. Accidents -do- happen though and it wouldn't be a stupid idea to invest on a high quality tempered glass protector just so that the screen doesn't just shatter when hitting a corner. But again, that's just to avoid accidents. I don't even use a screen protector.