SSD price plummet continues

Nearing 1TB/$100. What a year!

Attached: Screenshot_20181025_175012.png (888x469, 132K)

Those are the shitty cheap SSD's that will die within a year.

There's a reason quality SSD's still cost $400.

Attached: screenshot.17.jpg (1163x474, 209K)

even with 2-3x lower durability on these "shit" drives, no regular use will kill these in 10 years

they're extremely good for game drives/portable drives, and even do well for normies as a main drive.

I snagged a 860 500gb for $70 and I think that's as good as its gonna get for a while.

>posting chinkshit
Good SSDs are also cheaper than ever.

Lole look at this faggot over here getting jewed

Attached: 2018-10-25 17.53.59.jpg (1439x1308, 404K)

ADATA isn't that bad.

If you're getting anything other than Samsung or Crucial SSDs you're making a mistake.

>Sold and Shipped by eDealer
>eDealer

Attached: pepe unimpressed.jpg (251x242, 11K)

Tom says Sandisk 3D is good.

I

>buying fat sata ssd's
NVMe SSD's are 7x faster.

Attached: 816FAQSUn0L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1000, 119K)

Attached: sustained-throughput-100763047-large.jpg (700x430, 25K)

SSDs don't just die, user. They safely go into read-only mode when they fail

I bought a128 GB SSD to use as a flash drive instead of using those small keys.

I don't know about ADATA but I know I had some off brand SSD awhile ago in 2016 and that shit died after a year.

Mine did. Could not access the SSD from another device at all. Didn't even show in BIOS anymore. Shit just died.

>2018
>still using the reliability meme to hide that you still don't back up

Yeah I had some cheap silicon power one do this after the laptop it was in had to be RMAd and I never got around to reinstalling it for almost a year. Then I started and RMA and forgot to send it out, woops.

Have had two 2.5 hard drive die within a short span though, no real symptoms until they just died, one gave me hope until sectors just kept failing before I could get anything good off it :(

I've had the SU650 for over a year and it's been fine. It uses the same NAND as the MX300 and a variant of the MX500 controller.

Sandisk is trash. Their SSDs and flash drives generate a fuckton of heat for whatever reason, so they probably won't last very long.

> t. never had a failed SSD
You'll be lucky to read something off it, especially if it's a model with encryption.

sorry I only buy quality parts user. if you like your rig running on pure garbage then go for it

I'd be fascinated to see your collected data on SSD failure rates. Post your study if you get a chance.

if it's a sata drive, look it up on google and see if it's actually smaller if you open it up. use a dremel to cut the useless part of the case off, for fun. they're still extremely light and small as it is, but it's a fun thing to do.

Attached: 160210-175745.jpg (602x401, 66K)

the reason quality SSDs still cost $400 is because that was the MSRP when the product first came out
prices on electronics only changes on releases of new products, they will NEVER lower the price for you. Ever.
Which is why when you go back in time and look at old models of SSDs that never sold on eBay or Amazon, they're still the same expensive ass price they were 5 years ago.

Why? Because who would buy new shit when the old shit works almost the same and costs less.

>t. only had a single sandisk drive, probably a shit model, now i shit-talk sandisk ever time

When it does I'm going to buy one.

you're an idiot and i'm not going to go into details about why, but here's the short version: mlc and slc drives are more durable so they're more expensive. these still exist as new models (970 pro)

Two SSDs and three flash drives, all different models. All of them were garbage and ran hot. Now they live in the bottom of my spare parts drawer.

If you're not buying M.2 you're doing it wrong.

>own 5 sandisk ssd's
>only had one DOA

Attached: eating shit premium.jpg (578x712, 113K)

>screenshot
>860 Pro 960GB
>$409
>same as it was in 2015
>970 Pro 960GB
>objectively better than the 860 in all metrics including form factor
>$394
>same as it was in 2016
you're an idiot and I just went into why

>20% of my SSDs were DOA
Yikes!

Attached: hm.png (3000x3000, 87K)

>prices on electronics only changes on releases of new products
Then explain why the prices of the latest models of SSDs are all falling

>return it
>no issues whatsoever with any of them

literally not what that pic means
retard

Old outdated connection standard. PCIE based drives are literally 4x faster.

>PCIE based drives are literally 4x faster
Faster but not outside of benchmarks

fuck off

Attached: Bootracer-980x735.jpg (980x735, 44K)

>the reason quality SSDs ...[hurr durr]
is the 970 not a quality ssd? i don't care about your previous fucking screenshot from your previous post. there are "legacy costs" for using sata over nvme drives, sure, but there are now higher quality ssds than the 860 pro on both sata and nvme that are cheaper. your point about msrp is fine, but i don't get why you're implying older drives are somehow better

>what are iops
>what is latency
go back to bed, kid
boot times are good enough as they are. you wouldn't know what a good ssd is used for besides staring your pc to shitpost on Jow Forums and play minecraft

>i don't know how2bizness
the post

too bad intel fags don't have any spare pci-e lanes

aside from outlier retards like B&H the whole market moves as a unit, these indicate dealings with the manufacturer changing MSRP as a result of "whatever" occurred at the time of price changes. Maybe difficulties with the supply chain caused an increase in price, maybe competition with a Kingston release caused a decrease in price.

Attached: Annotation.png (1041x655, 159K)

You do realise that at double the price you should just get 2 TLC drives and put them in RAID 1 right? Spending more than double to still have a single point of failure is dumb. Always make sure you have backups and running a redundant setup is always the better choice if you want more reliability. TLC is if you want to pay a large premium for slightly more reliability aka corporations.

>its the workstation larp again

Did..
Did you really just post a fucking BOOT TIME screenshot to prove NVMe's aren't insanely faster than Sata SSD's? What the fuck? It doesn't matter if you booted Windows from fucking raw RAM. That's not the point of it.

>B&H
*newegg marketplace
they changed the color on the graph between the 860 and the 970. the picture is of the 970

>he pretends to only use his drive for copying 50gb files all day

>Boot times don't matter
Now that's new for SSDs

Not even him, but I use Hydrus Network to organize a few million of my images. After moving it to my NVMe SSD, performance increased dramatically.

It also works great as large capacity scratch disk.

After a certain point the hardware isn't the bottleneck to how fast it can boot, so it's meaningless.

I haven't had to even reboot my shit in a month. Talking about boot times is so fucking stupid.

>the hardware isn't the bottleneck to how fast it can boot

you don't close any of your programs ever? post desktop.
or look at the pic again and try using the goo between your ears.

>Boot times don't matter after you already use any SSD
Fixed. Everyone can spare 10 seconds to get their PC started.

>They safely go into read-only mode when they fail
ONLY IF THEY PREDICT FAILURE AHEAD OF TIME.

Most don't, just like HDDs.

Linux will always boot faster than Windows.
Take a guess why

>one thousand people buy one of Product
>one guy gets a faulty Product
>"100% FAILURE RATE!!!"

if a drive is tlc it doesn't mean there's a higher risk of it failing. it will fail faster. protip: with regular use, even "intense" regular use, you still can't kill one of these 240-1TB drives in 10 years. me and everyone i know has have using ssds since 2012. i myself have over 10 ssds. NONE of them died. my oldest 128GB vertex 4 barely has 20TB of wear.

sounds like the controller died
I hear most SSDs have the controller die long before they reach write endurance limits

that's still not a good use case for nvme drives, you fucking retard

i can tell you're this guy
because of how retarded you are

>you don't close any of your programs ever? post desktop.
What does that have to do with rebooting. The only time you should need to reboot is if you're installing a new program that requires it or Windows Updates.

Your system is stable enough to not need constant reboots, Right?

Attached: Desktop-Screenshot052018.jpg (3840x1080, 995K)

same reason why hdds die on idiots
ever since my first pc in 1995, i've never had a fucking mechanical drive die on me
>clean power from the psu - probably the most important aspect
>storm protection
>network lightning strike protection
>proper cooling
these concepts are really hard to grasp for some people.

are you fucking retarded? please kys if you don't know the point of a fast ssd

Attached: q.gif (1429x864, 627K)

Heat has little impact on how long an HDD lasts now. You can get away with it being at 50C+

The biggest concern is storm protection. A surge protector isn't going to cut it. I had 2 HDD's die 2 weeks after a major power outage. You need an UPS to prevent sudden power loss.

it's not good. especially with people that turn the system on and off. those repeated expansions/contractions will definitely fuck something up

just tier your storage properly and don't cram everything up. backups are always nice

Since everyone's talking about SSDs,...
Should I buy a cheap 120gb ssd for my OS? I'm currently running wangblows 10 off a 500GB 5400 RPM drive from an sandy bridge optiplex. Pic is crystaldiskmark for my current drive.
I can get a WD Green 120GB for €30, is it worth it?

Attached: file.png (390x316, 49K)

People cited thermal stress fracturing as a failure mode for GPUs for a long time, but there has never been a study, meanwhile everyone is beyond wary of used mining GPUs which run undervolted at 100% all day every day, so no thermal cycling there

You never have used Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 and you believe that the maximum speed of boot is what Windows 7 reach.

Yes, if you can afford it and don't have lots of RAM, absolutely yes of you shut down/restart your machine every day or so

>My barebone OS boots faster than Windows
No kidding

surely you can find a 240GB one
you'll find 120GB to fill up pretty fast. sure, you can live with it pretty easily, but try going for a 240GB

>meanwhile everyone is beyond wary of used mining GPUs which run undervolted at 100% all day every day, so no thermal cycling there
i happen to have mined with my 7950 vaporx, 270x vaporx, 1060 mini and 1080ti. they are still in perfect condition. i'd have 0 suspicions about buying a gpu that i know has been used for mining

>i happen to have mined
Opinion discarded

More like the controller is actually more likely to die than all of the cells. The cells dying under normal operation is like borderline not possible. The controllers on the other hand...

I think it fits. Faggot.

Yea what this guy said. Amazon has a great deal on bigger ssd or buy used on ebay.

Seconding this, i've been looking up SSDs lately and although they're not the top-tier like Samsung, Adata is probably the second best choice. The SU900 series is similarly priced but a little more reliable than the 860 EVO as it uses MLCs. Also the 5-year warranty matches Samsung's while almost everyone else is doing 3 years.

The power of systemd

>buying TLC NAND drivers
>ever

Nah. Plextor m5s torrent ssd still working till today after 6 years. If it was a conventional hdd it's dead after 2 years.

The magic of Harry Poettering

This will pair nicely with your i9 processor, you fucking cuck.

Plextor master race. M5 series were ahead of their time

Attached: DiskInfo64_2018-10-26_01-47-55.png (674x691, 75K)

Based ssd bro.

My Windows 10.1 machine on a 850 Evo boots in around 8 seconds.

I doubt Linux would be much faster.

Lmao just torrent more storage space you fucking brainlet

How is the 970?

>no name chink brand
>cheap

RED FLAG

Based and redpilled

>ADATA
>no name
Common as fuck, maybe not in your shithole though.

>chink brand
They're ALL chink brands, dipshit.

What about PNY?

HDD is at $18.75 a TB.

looking forward to having a box of ssd's, like the good old days

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (1000x750, 164K)

Have any of you long-time SSD owners experienced any data loss from not having the device powered on for a long time? I'm reading some specs on manufacturers' websites and they state stuff like:

>Data retention: 3 Months

dude capacitors

>3/5 eggs 57 reviews
ouch

Never buy a PNY product. Never.

Uh-oh...

I wouldn't trust Adata but the trend is lower prices. $100/TB isn't that far away across the board.

Attached: 1tb_wdblue.jpg (890x366, 43K)

>buying slc at $1+/gb
Write endurance has gotten so high on SSDs that it doesn't really matter unless you're putting it in a server.