Why are you not using tox

Why are you not using tox yet Jow Forums? It was literally written here. P2P encrypted text, voice, video, and group chat. Full support for tor if you want anonymity. This kills the discord botnet.

Attached: tox.png (648x720, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/qTox/qTox/blob/master/README.md#qtox
pastebin.com/sRUUp8rv
banter.city
totallysafe.website
riot.im/desktop.html
hello-matrix.net
matrix.to/#/#general:banter.city
tox.chat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You can download the client at: github.com/qTox/qTox/blob/master/README.md#qtox

wew lad

Attached: AbsoluteStateOfTox.jpg (1000x1000, 171K)

Add the address pasted here to get automatically invited to a group chat; pastebin.com/sRUUp8rv

Seems like a pretty nice groupchat desu, I noticed they now have the muting which is a big part of why I didn't like using it much before. Seems like they made a lot of improvements.

>[email protected] has sent you a friend request

tox is pretty good, but not being able to send messages to offline users gets annoying

Attached: 1407416728354.png (1000x1000, 51K)

I'll use it when you can be signed in on more than one device. That's what kills it for me.

What about the
>Full support for tor if you want anonymity.
though?

>I don't know how p2p works
pasting a magnet link you are seeding does the same fucking thing
>what is tor thaw was mentioned in the very first thread

Only friends that have been accepted can see your IP. This has been a feature for literally years.

qtox or utox?

Is your IP still exposed if you use tor to connect?

>why are you not using Tox yet Jow Forums?
Matrix exists and also supports end-to-end encryption. It is actually maintained and new features are introduced regularly.

By default, your IP address isn't cloaked if you are making a 1:1 peer to peer connection. That's what Tor integration accomplishes. Tox is still a bad solution for many kinds of communication, but you don't have to be intellectually dishonest or to spread fear, uncertainty, and doubt to convey that.

We have our own Matrix server and an easy to use web gateway for those who aren't familiar with how Matrix works. Everyone here is welcome to check it out.

Homeserver: banter.city
Web Gateway: totallysafe.website

If you're interested in a desktop client, check out riot.im/desktop.html for an easy to use Discord-alike client.

And if you hate Banter City, check out hello-matrix.net for more info on alternative homeservers you can join.

matrix.to/#/#general:banter.city

Attached: spooks.png (800x816, 12K)

Because I've tried it and messages don't even go through half the time. It's like the devs got so caught up on encryption that they forgot to make it usable. They mentioned in the FAQs it's a known issue that both parties have to be online. And yes already tried it on android, winshit, and gnu/linux

>reinventing email

utox

>tox is not maintained
>muh IP
so?

>tried it and messages don't even go through
>it's a known issue that both parties have to be online
> issue

Attached: brainlet.jpg (113x125, 1K)

qtox

what platform is best for people for people that engage in..illegal activities..

>It was literally written here
Into the trash it goes, and only remembered so it will never be allowed near any of my machines.

While the IP address concerns are a moot point now that Tox over Tor is supported, not having stable maintainership for your protocol or clients is an absolutely horrible prospect for any project. Long-term security and stability are especially serious concerns for a communication platform that professes to be privacy oriented, and there's not much room to miss the mark. While I do love that Jow Forums actually managed to make a minimally viable chat platform, I don't love that like other Jow Forums projects it hasn't gotten very far since then.

It is best not to engage in illegal activities.

explain how are IP address concerns not a moot point without tor and define stable maintainership

messages almost always go through.
Yes, both parties have to be online, just like for any network connection.
How much work do you think volunteers or random people's instances of this programs should do for free, huh?
Do you seriously expect their clients to store your messages forever just in case prince charming comes back online so he can get them delivered?

I mean, if an option is available to you to route your traffic through a Tor exit node and thus mask your IP address, and you opt not to utilize this feature, then you are responsible for your decision to not mask your IP, not Tox. There's no reason for Tox to do this natively or to rewrite their protocol, especially since masking an IP address is entirely outside the scope of what Tox is meant to protect users from (MITM). Tox is designed such that non-Tor traffic is expected to flow between parties that explicitly trust one another. As for a definition of stable maintainership, this would roughly be defined by the presence of regular commits, cyclical integration of pull requests, introducing new and useful features regularly, and addressing user concerns and complaints. Tox works, but it hasn't evolved much since its initial development. Besides the same chat clients that have been there since the beginning, there have been few other projects utilizing the protocol or its technologies in any creative or useful ways. Multi-user Tox is still a pretty abysmal experience compared to other, completely free as in freedom offerings. And perhaps most concerning, there hasn't really seen any progress toward formalization or standardization of the Tox protocol or Tox APIs.

In summary, it's not abandoned, but it's not moving in any direction. It's in a holding pattern.

it leaks your ip

>As for a definition of stable maintainership, this would roughly be defined by the presence of regular commits, cyclical integration of pull requests, introducing new and useful features regularly, and addressing user concerns and complaints. Tox works, but it hasn't evolved much since its initial development. Besides the same chat clients that have been there since the beginning, there have been few other projects utilizing the protocol or its technologies in any creative or useful ways. Multi-user Tox is still a pretty abysmal
now that's just bullshit

leaks implies it tries to hide it which it doesn't, so it doesn't

So do you have a rebuttal or what?

Attached: 1520055199710.png (600x706, 355K)

yea you're all wrong
but im not gona type, just reverse what you wrote

besides what you're saying is we need moar clients (instead of making the ones we have better)

because it works like shit
im gonna switch when its more mature

Because most of us aren't pedos and don't need to mask our convos. Jewgle and kikebook aren't exactly monitoring telegram or whatsapp.

>like shit
nou

I can't think of a single new feature introduced into any extant client that wasn't a UI tweak.

It won't be more mature.

Not every concern about the privacy or security of communications is about evading law enforcement.

it does.
transfers are dropped often. disconnects are frequent. I dont feel safe using it so I havent really touched it in awhile.

because it has the features it set out to have?

>because it has the features it set out to have?
Not even close. The Android and iOS clients are both dead in the water, and with Antox in particular I remember the whole experience being a buggy mess its whole histort. There haven't been new releases with bugfixes for either in ages, and a chat platform dead on mobile does not a success make.

Being unable to associate multiple clients and their cryptographic keys with a single "identity" on Tox means every device I use is its own identity. To add me on Tox, the average amount of accounts a person might have to add to contact me is lower bounded at four or five. Matrix allows for unified credentials/key association, *and* it allows the use of a federated identity server such as mxisd with a homeserver such that I'm not reliant on a centralized service to provide this functionality. You only have to add me once on Matrix to access me whether I'm on desktop or mobile; trusting encryption keys from each device is separate from the actual process of finding me and starting a conversation.

Uploaded files still simply generate thumbnails in the major desktop clients; there's no reason images or videos can't be embedded and viewable from the client. Riot does this, as do many of the other alpha-stage Matrix clients.

The ecosystem is a mess and the lack of leadership or initiative is the only unifying thread between its disparate projects.

>Android and iOS clients
don't want to say irrelevant but a bad idea, it always uses traffic to keep the network

>a single "identity"
you sure? coz i only have .config/tox/

>don't want to say irrelevant but a bad idea, it always uses traffic to keep the network
That's perhaps a critical point about this; Tox is a bad idea on mobile, and always will be by nature. It has to keep an open connection at all times, doesn't benefit from the servers and their ability to push content to clients by request or at regular intervals, and in the case of Android, cannot utilize or integrate GCM for both technical and ideological reasons.

As for identity, let me put it like this.

I have a phone, a laptop, and a desktop. I want my friend, Chris, to talk to me from all three via Tox. Each of these devices has its own client, with its own address, and therefore, Chris must add each device as a friend, individually.

If I have the same devices, same friend, and same desire to talk to that friend, but use Matrix, Chris only needs to get my Matrix ID and invite my via that ID to a conversation. If Chris wants to encrypt that conversation, he can do so and confirm each of my active clients are trusted.

life was a mistake
the sooner there's an extinction level event the better

Because I'm using Wire.
Barely.

>I have a phone, a laptop, and a desktop. I want my friend, Chris, to talk to me from all three via Tox. Each of these devices has its own client, with its own address,
yeah, as far as the network is concerned it is another device, and that isn't that big a deal - you only do it 3 times in your case
but i think you could copy your existing /tox/ to your new device instead

>you only so it 3 times
That was the hypothetical. I'm spread across way more devices than that.

The problem with just copying your credentials to everything is that ultimately only one of these devices can connect to the network at a time, and that conversation archives and received messages will be fragmented between the three whether you maintain singular or multiple credentials.

With Matrix, no matter which client I'm using, I can access the messages sent to my Matrix ID.

k so in real there was no issue and you're just looking at the wrong service

no one to talk to

no
>Matrix exists and also supports end-to-end encryption
so does facebook messenger. it leaks exactly who and when you are talking to someone though.
>they forgot to make it usable.
go back to discord
>not having stable maintainership for your protocol or clients
just look on git you retard it has active progress constantly for years now

It's been nothing but refactoring for months, everywhere. There have been no new features or significant improvements, which would be fine if any client or protocol implementation seemed anywhere near complete. But Tox has been developed for years now, and is identical in every way, shape, and form to where it was when tox.chat was launched.

>it leaks exactly who and when you are talking to somebody though
Tox connections aren't obfuscated either. It in no way prevents an observer or adversary from detecting a connection between two people. It can only prevent that communication from being snooped on or modified in transit. That's why there's an option to route Tox via Tor.

Tox just doesn't werk

>feature
>Leaking your IP is a feature
lmao

Would be nice to be able to do that though, so once they log on they'll see you've tried to contact them

Oh, come on.

Project being maintained would be nice for features, bug fixes and security

It's P2P, isn't it?

So it's a side effect, not a feature.

Matrix, in my experience, works better. I use Matrix for work and talking with my friends and I haven't had any problems. I have had endless troubles when I previously used Tox though.

If it's P2P then how do you know the socks 5 protocol which enables tor to work isn't broken like all bittorrent clients? you can do tor over bit torrent but it still leaks your ip

Last time I checked it out it was relatively early in its development. How long ago was it for you?

I'm not an advocate by any stretch but I am interested in it.

You'll have to take that up with a developer.

It was about a year or two ago. It's more than just if it's tolerable now though, I like the direction of Matrix and it's had much healthier growth. I've seen buzz about using Matrix as a Slack alternative, which I haven't seen for Tox, so I anticipate continued growth as more companies adopt it.

>Tox connections aren't obfuscated either. It in no way prevents an observer or adversary from detecting a connection between two people

Does Matrix support connecting through tor? If not it's a bust for me.

Apparently you can host a Tor server, but it's not yet officially supported. Careful with those Tor nodes though.

>just need three different communication services to have all the features of discord
not defending that piece of shit, just that it would be nice to have group voip and offline messages in tox so theres an open source tool with most features discord has, also group support on antox

>also group support on antox
antox has had group support for a while. I use it.

u might not have multi voice call, q has it
user could have installed both by now

but it IS maintained

>hurdur is broken
idk what os you're running that everything is broken

>not replying to you specifically but in general
honestly - no, disco is full of shitposts, why would i want a history of shitposts - i don't
even those chatrooms that are supposedly informative are full of shit - they just replaced forums
otherwise there's irc or sip or mumble
i honestly hope tox never include offline history and other '''features''' disco has