Jow Forumseeks can't answer this

>Jow Forumseeks can't answer this

Attached: 1540516329663.jpg (1876x1364, 456K)

They both weigh the same amount.
Technically, assuming both drives have literally never been used and the only I/O operations ever performed have been the copying of those files then the second drive, B, weighs infinitesimally more than drive A, owing to the "weight" of electrons used in magnetizing the platter. For all intents and purposes however there is no difference.

they're the fucking same. hard drives are magnetic, magnetism doesn't weigh anything.

Attached: image.jpg (960x720, 379K)

the amount of s oy in this question is unbelievable

assuming the wear from the stopper motor in B can't escape the enclosure

>13 movies
>only 150 gb

Attached: 1526951901369.png (612x491, 106K)

b is heavier because e=mc2

>He downloads YIFY releases in 16k

Hard drive B produces more heat when writing the larger file size and gets warmer, therefore having more energy than drive A.
E=mc^2, therefore drive B weighs more.

HDDs would weigh the same, SSDs would gain some weight due to trapped electrons.

The question never gave proper circumstances for your theory to be put into play. The hard drives could be unplugged.

The heat energy comes from the power input and is emitted into the environment, so the drive gains no net energy.

Or do they come pre-loaded with electrons and you release some of them to record data?

A would weigh more. B had more use of mechanical parts thus even if it's 1/10000 of a gram it would still weigh less

Obviously hard drive B since it contains more data. Fuck outta here with your dumb ass questions

A brainlet would say the same
A brainlet who doesn't realize they're a brainlet would think the information adds weight
An actual smart person would realize the spin of the electrons doesn't affect the mass, thus saying they're the same

I stick both drives into OP's rectum and leave it at that

You know, I never really thought about that before. Does that mean that magnetism would be able to fly if it was large enough to be visible?

drive b weights heavier when its running
weights the same if its off

A because you're gay lmao

Both weigh heavier when running.

God, I love Jow Forums, but you guys sound like brainlets when you talk about physics

A. Bieber has some heavy stuff.

We need to also assume that the atoms run away from the plate because of the velocity.

You need to know whether the drives start with 1's or 0's in the default position because iirc it depends from manufacturer to manufacture. You also need to actually know the 1's and 0's that make up the data . Not to mention the fact that hard drives only store data on the edges of a line of 0's or 1's not the actual bits. I could download the data and write a script to take all this into account and give you an answer but OP is a faggot.

For reference storing the electromagnetic data on the platter doesn't increase the mass of the platter but does impact the 'weight' experienced in Newtons on the surface of the Earth.

>YIFY

Attached: DQZ1RxpVwAE-rsD.jpg (890x780, 50K)

A since the guilt of having a Bieber album is heavier than anything.

This would make sense if the tiny quantity of metal dust exited rather than staying inside.

As a physicist, I can objectively say that this thread is an abortion

It's neither north/south for 0/1 nor a simple edge encoding. It's much more complex and you generally end up with a reasonable blend of polarities.

But are you considering the rotational velocidensity of the data on the platters?

Let us simplify: Two identical SSDs, same conditions as OP.

>As a physicist
nice theory you proposed there, reddit

Attached: 87995-full.png (400x300, 103K)

A must be destroyed with flamethrower

B has more potential energy and in a lower state of entropy so it weighs more.

Jow Forums

Assuming all materials are the same, both drives would weigh the same regardless of use.

Energy (and therefore mass) isnt 'created' or 'removed' during any sort of operation. All that's being changed are 1s and 0s. In a preexisting environment. All arguments of 'wear loss' are moot due to any particals that wear off of the drives remaining inside the drive itself.

Greetings from /sci/, smoothbrains

The answer depends on whether each drive exists in its own hypothetical universe or they share the same one

>All arguments of 'wear loss' are moot due to any particals that wear off of the drives remaining inside the drive itself.
HDDs are not sealed airtight, but have pressure holes. Some particles may escape.

Greetings back unto you, /sci/.

This. Also, HDD uses magnetic domains to represent 0s and 1s, thus mass has no relevance at all.

A container doesnt have to be airtight to prevent metal shards from escaping. 7 torx heads (and the odd hidden bastard) are enough to keep macroscopic particulates from escaping.

Attached: 20180722_120501.jpg (4032x3024, 3.43M)

Magnetism is a force, bruv. Not an object.

>specifying "macroscopic" particles
What happened to "All arguments"?

Some hard drives are airtight. The helium filled onces for example.

most popular movies are ~100 minutes on average. 100 minute * 13 = 1300 minutes

150 GB / 1300 minutes = ~2 Mbps in bit rate. With the movies being 720p, that's decent quality.

What else are you expecting to attempt a daring escape? Last I checked, hard drives dont produce gas as a byproduct, but by all means, get to sniffin'.

Magnetism is not a force.
t. physicist

That is a valid point.

Isn't magnetism a component of the electroweak force?

> helium filled
And you faggots give mac owners shit

what the fuck is it then
fucking magnets how do they work

>magnetism is part of the electroweak force

Attached: Screenshot_82.jpg (600x600, 32K)

Not a component per se.

It is a consequence of special relativity.

I'll bite.

The helium filled hard drives are to save money on running cost because helium offers less friction, meaning the wattage to keep the platter spinning is lower. This is meaningless to everyone except for data centers where they run thousands of these and wattage adds up at the end of the month.

>consequence of special relativity.
So is gravity. We call that a force.

its a god damn force you dumb fuck. Magnetism is part of electro-magnetism. Its a fundamental force.

It depends on the resolution of the movies and the format of the music. If the movies are 4K, they'll weigh more than 720p since each chunk of data is heavier. If the music is in a lossy format it depends how long you wait before weighing the drives, since the files will lose weight due to rotational velocidensity.

guys at least it's just a post this time and not a whole thread

it depends... is the free space 1s, 0s, or a 50:50 ratio of 1s and 0s?

No, gravity has nothing to do with special relativity. General relativity, on the other hand...

No, it is called an interaction.

There are only 4 fundamental interactions: electromagnetic, gravitational, strong nuclear, weak nuclear. At very high energies (GeV range) the electromagnetic interaction and weak nuclear interaction unifies into the electroweak interaction.

>drive A: 3.05 GB of pure shit
>drive B: 150 GB of pure shit
>Which hard drive is heavier?
Maybe the muslims are right about the west!.......

The free space is empty.

>he thinks the platters hold actual integers

No it doesnt depend. When you format or read/write a drive, you're not adding or removing information or material. Just because 1 is a larger number than 0 does not mean that 1 on a hard drive physically weighs any more than a 0.

Those runaway atoms are trapped inside the shell, so there should be no difference.

Do helium filled HDDs weight less?

>Just because 1 is a larger number than 0 does not mean that 1 on a hard drive physically weighs any more than a 0
You're very right. 0 is actually heavier because it's a loop while 1 is a simple lightweight stick.

Made me giggle

remember when you cried when your mickey mouse balloon flew away? consider it a lesson

dude it's understood that it's just a subset of the electroweak force, you're just being a fucking sperg and arguing semantics.

while in some way this may be a legitimate question if you were actually using it to discuss how mass is related to potential energy or something, your actual post doesn't contribute anything good to the board and is just another shitpost turd in a sea of piss. you're not helping the absolute state of Jow Forums. please do the needful and kys.

Than air filled ones of the same kind? Yes. Helium weighs less than nitrogen/CO2/Oxy

t. Smoothbrain who couldnt cut it in high school physics

bad question because it doesn't state if they're plugged in or not when you weigh them

>No, it is called an interaction.
Stop being a nigger you dumb nigger nigger.

The moonerune namefag needs to kys.

>subset of the electroweak force

Attached: 1491749335492.jpg (800x600, 56K)

They weigh the same. the place surface is just shifted at microscopic level to represent the 0 and 1.

Redditor here. We are the Universe, experiencing itself! I know right? Mind blown! Anyhow, who's to say where the boundaries of corporeal bodies begin and end. We are all one! So I guess the tl;dr of it all is that this is just a nonsensical trick question, since the Universe is a dynamic, unbroken whole, and things can't "really" weigh different amounts!

Any weight differences between two hard drives will only be made in the factory for example plate shield is 0.001% less pure steel(or whatever they use on the metal) in one of them causing one to be technically heavier.
But let's get creative. Lets assume both drives are new and came in a box. First i download the bieber son and put the drive back in the box and then i download the marvel cinematic universe movies. That means that the marvel drive had more time to collect dust particles on it(lets on assume theres a lot of seeders on both torrents too). And this the marvel drive should be heavier.

You're unironically spouting "WELL ACKSHUALLY" shit right now. Calm down.

Kinetic energy of the molecules is not ttal energy, when a drive is heating that is energy in Joules entering the system. The mass of every particle in the entire system remains constant; rather, their velocity shifts as you add Q to the system. The energy from the system giving off thermal energy is entirely in the movement of the drive itself, the # of electrons remains relatively the same

It'll be "law of the abortion Jow Forums thread" before it's archived at this rate.

The drive you wrote more too was hotter so it weighs less.

"Magnetism" is a term that refers to the phenomena of a force vector and the dynamics that cause this force, so yes it is a force smartass faggot

>magnetism is a force

Attached: biot-savart.png (599x310, 41K)

Attached: 1532101826984_0.jpg (914x1200, 222K)

Attached: Laughing-Meme-01.png (640x427, 225K)

If both really started out being identical, then they still both weigh the same. A hard drive is a closed system where in order to store data, tiny magnets are positioned either up or down, so there's no added mass, the mass inside is just slightly repositioned.

fpbp

A Magnetic field is a fucking field of force vectors which apply a to a particle/object at some point you where the field is applying some force dU/dr upon a particle at some r(q,t) u brainlet

Does such a weak magnetic force push against the earth's magnetic field?
Can it weigh more or less depending on if it's a net positive or net negative attraction to the earth poles?

field != force

I would argue that A would weigh more. B has had more mechanical wear, causing atoms to come off the disk and spinny bits. The weight loss of one atom from the disk far far far outweighs the gain of any electrons from the extra data or whatever

>720p
No

um I-I was only pretending to be retarded. please let me know what I got wrong, thanks.

kill youself newfag, I wasn't namefagging I'll bet you can't read what it says, and on top of that I'll bet that even if you could you wouldn't understand the context, stop shitting up the board and lurk more. there's a reason I don't wanna bump a shit meme thread.

>spin of the electrons doesn't affect the mass
Technically that isn't true. Spin affects energy when in orbit. Granted, that energy is very negligible (the spin shift of an electron in a hydrogen atom emits two photons with λ = 21 cm), but nonzero, which means the mass changes (see mass deficit). Still, all those effects are negligible.

but the wear occurs in a hermetically sealed chamber, so no material is lost, just displaced.

Drive A, because the user have inserted both the SATA power connector and the Molex power connector, and both connectors melted onto the drive

>drive A: 3.05 GB
in what fucking sound encoding?
that sure as shit aint FLAC supported Bieber songs

Neither torrenting nor even a presence of a filesystem are mentioned. For all we know the files might have been dd-ed to the disk from some network resource.

One is filled with feather and one is filled with steel. You tell me which is heavier.

They weigh nothing because they have no value

I'm spooked now, did I misinterpret something?