*blocks your linux*

*blocks your linux*

Attached: excel.png (1200x630, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=11
support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-new-in-excel-2019-for-windows-5a201203-1155-4055-82a5-82bf0994631f
github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is LibreCalc honestly any worse?

No it works great, not for collaboration documents though. I use it when I need to view multiple xlsx because office shits itself when I do that

You are now aware that Excel has a delay when dragging with the window around the screen.

appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=11

Huh, I actually used to use this before I discovered LibreOffice.

*blocks your path*
support.office.com/en-us/article/what-s-new-in-excel-2019-for-windows-5a201203-1155-4055-82a5-82bf0994631f

For most of my needs, Calc works. If I NEED to use Excel, Word, or Powerpoint, I have a Win7 virtual machine I can load up.

Attached: npc cure.jpg (347x1023, 33K)

Just install wine

Just use GNU Oleo.

>being a corporate cuck
>not just using your excel on your work machine

>using excel
>ever

just do data analysis with rstudio or ipython/jupyter like a real man
for storing data use a real db

>Not ever having worked a day in your life in a tech position
>Still posting as if you have any valid opinions on Excel or BI tooling

You must be 18 to post here.

LibCalc isn't anywhere close to Excel in functionality or usefulness.

It's fine if you want to "make a spreadsheet" to track your expenses out a grocery list or whatever. But it doesn't touch Excel.

wps isn't bad but it's no excel

You should see what's blocking the average freetard's anus. Or not, if you want to keep your lunch.

Why would I install this when I can just use it in a web browser on any OS?

I want to like LibreOffice but for some reasons it's slow as fuck on my study laptop. Feels like it's really CPU intensive. I can get Office 365 for free but I hate how simple the interface became and how intrusive it is, asking me to constantly log in, or won't let me pick which office apps I want.

Why did people stop using OpenOffice?

Unironically what complicated bullshit do people even do with spreadsheet software that they'll always claim that Excel has no substitute?

Financial analysis

Install LibreOffice from the tar ball or .deb or whatever it is from their website. It ran fine on my laptop from 2006

You mean statistics work that's probably done better with something like Julia, R, or even some Python frontend?

Finance modelling.

BI work.

I make twice as much money as I used to, working just in the MS stack.

Power Query, Power Pivot, Excel.

No, because the raw data processing languages don't have the associated tooling for database connections, and displaying the data in a useable format.

Just as good up to the point you need to make macros

Couldn't all that be done from something like a browser application by using some sort of server functionality?
Legit pondering btw, I got the point by now.

you can run ms office in wine
ive been doing that for years

I do my business accounting in Google Docs.

On Windows.

Unironically Window's killer app.

*installs WPS Office*
*success*

the European Union should start a program to develop a free office suit and a few other applications for linux, and introduce a regulation to allow only free software to be taught in schools. And develop a distribution to be used in all all European public administrative bodies.

This would finally free the users from it's heavy proprietary chains.

>using Excel
poor mans SQL+Python

i

high iq productive people just use what works

The thing is, that most clerks, event technicians, need a simple tool, where they can see and handle the data directly and fiddle around with a few simple tools

But this is abused in irresponsible ways:
I have seen handles megabytes of critical data in excel in major tech companies, where it is possible to change or delete critical information without even noticing it.

>Chinese
Hmm

All the good devs just forked OpenOffice and called it LibreOffice.

Power BI is the superior tool.

Use MS Office online.
Or quit being a tool and learn how to use a database.

*blocks your file*

Attached: Excelmao.png (491x122, 10K)

I bought SoftMaker Office Professional 2018 for Linux for 32.95€ today.
Waiting for the transaction to get completed so I can start using it.
Now I unironically paid more for Linux Software then i ever paid for Windows Software, because I never bought Windows Software due to the fact that you can find cracked versions everywhere.
I heard that SoftMaker Office has much better compatibility with MS Office than WPS Office.
And its made by a German company, not by the Chinese so I thought I might support local programmers for once..

Not everyone can program, excel removes the barrier that other statistical languages has. It becomes less about knowing how program and how to input and analyse data

Google sheets.

Powerpoint > Excel

Only one is turing complete.

>claims it supports macros
>it doesn't
It's fucking shit.

Because after the Oracle buyout, all the devs jumped ship and made LibreOffice. OpenOffice is shit by comparison now.

True true ..

God why?

I'd dump windows only if linux ran excel nicely.

What can Excel do the LibreCalc can't? I don't actually use either.

1. Lot's of ready-made Macros..
2. Excel has handy keyboard shortcuts unlike Calc
3. Awesome AddOns like KuTools and ASAP Utilities to get things done faster

As an accountant with almost no knowledge of programming, U can't replace Excel with anything.

Just use Google Sheets

read my post: Maybe this is an option for you, too.
I will give it a try once I get the product key...i dont know why this takes so long..i literally paid 32.95€ to get away from Windows

That's essentially what happens:

Connections to Power BI or the SSRS reporting.

Not a browser, but a dashboard front end.

Ok so which aspect of Excel should I learn to make 300K starting? Is this all there is ?

Thing I really hate about Excel is translating function names when using another language version. So instead of AVERAGE you must use MITTELWERT etc.

fellow german bro, i know that feel.

Attached: estrogen.jpg (250x250, 11K)

Well I don't know about those numbers, but I pull in $63.80 an hour doing Excel dashboarding and custom data entry with Power Query, some Power Pivot work and minimal VBA.

To hit ~$80/hr you need to learn DAX and Power BI, and have a finance degree. Those guys clean up. Same thing if you do like a Master's in Healthcare Admin or Stats.

The highest I've ever seen posted is $90/hr, but that tends to be one year contract work at those numbers.

You'd have to have like a PhD in math or stats with a finance undergrad and be a big time financial modeling guy or quant to pull in $300k, and it wouldn't be starting, that's for sure. You'd also have to live in New York, Chicago, or maybe Boston.

*Proceeds to Octember*

JANEMBER
FEBEMBER
MAREMBER
APREMBER
MAYEMBER
JUNEMBER
JULEMBER
AUGEMBER
SEPEMBER
OCTEMBER
NOVEMBER
DECEMBER

kek

Excel is so shitty, it craps out with any slighty big database. Python is better to do stuff with csv

Get pic related, and any beginners book on financial modelling and analysis. You can use this knowledge to get a job at some small consulting firm where you help some medium sized factories to minimize production costs. If you are good, money will come pouring your way.
I met an Indian guy back in 2007 who only knew three things: SQL, Matlab and Excell. He used his knowledge to help international corporations find the optimal solution to a wide range of problems. Some examples were:
>How many, and what type of passenger jets should be used for what distances and loads?
>Would it be more profitable to build a natural gas pipeline, or to ship the gas with a fleet of tankers?
>Given that a freight ship has to spend two weeks in maintenance for every month out at sea: How many ships are needed to never operate beyond 90% capacity? What happens if one sinks?
If he ever needed some specialized software solution to scrape data, he just outsourced it to anyone with adequate competence. Money was not an issue for this guy.

Attached: Optimization modeling.png (720x1166, 628K)

I've literally run connections with more than 3 million records without issue.

The largest I've ever seen or heard of was 122 million.

But finance guys run millions of records in their models routinely.

macros don't work

working as intended

I fucking hate this shit too. Wtf is Microsoft thinking and why they won’t change it?

I just use R with RStudio.

>he doesn't use sc-im
>he doesn't have vim shortcuts in his spreadsheets
>he needs a GUI t

It can get an entire world of corporate business to use it.

Why don't you just use Google Sheets then?

github.com/andmarti1424/sc-im

join the master race!

Because it lacks tons of functionality.

I work in public accounting and work with Excel a lot. Alteryx is being pushed, but Excel still reigns. I wish I knew VBA.

I'm going to turn 19 soon, does that mean I won't be able to post anymore? :(

Garbage for normies. Linux has sc-im and python, all you need.

>Is LibreCalc honestly any worse?
Depends. I've never done anything in Excel ever which can't be done just as easily in LibreCalc. There's probably some things people who work with spreadsheets all day every day need that Excel has and LibreCalc doesn't have but it's not something I've run into.

Excel does have one clear small "advantage", your workplace will probably have Excel and expect you to use it. This isn't that big of a deal though since you'll probably find your way around it if you've used any spreadsheet ever.

never tried sc-im, but I like how it looks like good old Lotus 1-2-3.

Dualboot
Fixed

don't get a job and use Linux as much as you want?

seriously people who complain about productivity on Linux are fucked. just quit your job easy fix.

Never understood why they still haven't figured out how to make this work yet

LibreCalc's worst quality is by far its garbage UI

It'd give your employees a new way to break macros that identify workbooks by name

This should have happened with the Linux kernel...

LibreCalc is a litter bit better for me. Take note that I don't use macros. The biggest weakness is collaboration with non-Libre Office users.

Other Libre Tools are utter shit. Only LibreCalc is good.