Why aren't you using KDE?

Why aren't you using KDE?

Attached: file.png (225x225, 8K)

because i3 exists

Attached: i3.png (325x310, 84K)

autism shit, desu

But I am. Why wouldn't I?

Why when I install i3 and try using thunar for file management, dismounting external drives always hangs? When I try in KDE it's click and done.

i...i just don't care any more.

don't know I don't use Thunar

Because its clunky and bloated

Because I want something with sane defaults out of the box and KDE is not like that.

>tfw Qt Unity never became a thing

I am tho

Attached: Breezeicons-places-64-start-here-kde.png (640x640, 11K)

I wish it would handle CSDs better. Not a deal-breaker, but a bit disappointing since that's where UI design seems to be going these days.

because xfce exists

Because I'm using dwm.exe. But if I was using Loonix I'd use KDE sure

Yesterday I tried KDE after 5 or 6 years, I didn't like it. They really need to do something about the UX, it's obviously a really powerful DE but they need better designers on board.

I use either i3 or xfce usually. I guess i’ll give Kde a try next time I have to reinstall Devuan or something

Attached: image.jpg (394x310, 163K)

I use JWM. But I do use Dolphin, Konqueror and Krusader. But I don't go near the KDE eye candy.

Because it sucks ass with Nvidia and Neon has shit repositories, it doesn't even have Calibre or Telegram in them

It looks fine with Breezemite decorations and the Arc Dark Transparent theme.
Which Pro Dark would get a port though

Attached: prodark.png (1091x769, 238K)

Honestly, I was on the "GNOME sucks, KDE is the best" train for a while. But then I started to think for myself instead of just lapping up the GNOME hate. I started reading up about the GNOME philosophy and history, especially on Allan Day's blog. I had an epiphany. I saw the light.

GNOME is actually great. Yes, it has its issues, but so does KDE and everything else. None of the existing DEs are perfect. But GNOME is honestly the best there is. It's the standard Linux desktop for a reason. What KDE has over it are more features and customization, and better performance. But GNOME has a polished, user-friendly design. It's aesthetic, it's uncluttered, it's easy to understand and operate. They do actual user testing to see what makes sense to users and what works. KDE is a clusterfuck of menus and options all over the god damn place, and no sane defaults. It takes hours of going through all the settings to get it to work right.

I've honestly really come to appreciate and respect the GNOME guys for what they do. I still respect KDE as well, but I've switched to GNOME and am enjoying it a lot. It just looks and works great out of the box, or maybe with a couple of extensions to fix things up. It really is a much nicer and more polished experience than KDE.

Plus GNOME has the best Wayland support by far, and is more stable than KDE. KDE is a buggy, crashy mess, and barely functions at all on Wayland.

I do like how KDE follows standards and traditions, and the global/titlebar menu thing. But I also like how GNOME is innovating and isn't afraid to change things up and tell people to fuck off if there's a better way. Headerbars are actually really nice now that I've given them a chance, especially considering that a Unity HUD like feature is still possible with them (see the GNOME Plotinus extension). Firefox can even be styled with headerbars using userChrome.css (look up firefox-gnome-theme), and it looks awesome and fits right in. I love it.

I really don't feel like I'm missing much from KDE to be honest. I thought Dolphin was the best, and the file-tree sidebar was neat, but GNOME Files looks way better aesthetically and has some cool features of its own. GNOME provides an entire suite of software that's all cohesive and integrated with the system in a polished way, whereas KDE is just a mess. I suppose the only real thing is the file picker thumbnails, but it seems like they're finally working on that after all these years. I saw something on the bug tracker about making GNOME Files work as a file picker.

It feels to me like KDE has most of the developers and GNOME has most of the designers. The design, the front end, the user experience, the cohesiveness, the aesthetics, etc. are all so much better on GNOME. But I can't deny that GNOME uses up far too many system resources, and lacks features (like the file picker thumbnail), etc. There is no best. But between the two, I pick GNOME now.

>customization is bad and """good""" defaults are good.
There's literally nothing wrong with Plasma's defaults. You may not think they're pretty, but that's always 100% subjective. That's why being able to customize every little thing on Plasma is a good thing since no two people will ever have the exact same tastes.

because i'm not a fag maybe?

Attached: gnomestone.jpg (500x375, 151K)

You're replying to copypasta.

What's your point? It's my own copypasta. I'm the one that wrote it. I'm not going to keep writing out the same thing every time one of these threads comes up. It doesn't make the words any less valid.

>It doesn't make the words any less valid
Yeah because they were never valid.
I'd reply to them but I lost my copypasta reply and I'm not going to keep writing out the same thing every time one of these threads comes up.

Can't you just find it in the archives?

>being a footfag

But I do

subhuman

Because Openbox.

kek

At the end of the day, you have to just accept that GNOME is the best. It's the king. It's the standard Linux desktop, shipped by all distros that matter. If someone installs Linux, they get GNOME out of the box. It's the standard. It's what's supported. It's where all the manpower and funding is. Red Hat is building Linux almost single-handedly, and GNOME is a part of that. KDE is like a side hobby project by a group of devs. I'm not saying it sucks - it doesn't - but it just can't measure up in terms of polish and manpower.

GTK is the standard Linux toolkit, used by default by most Linux programs. Qt is cool and has interesting features, but it's really just more of a cross-platform toolkit. It lacks support for native Linux features like GNOME headerbars. Budgie was switching to Qt for its shell, but they ended up giving up because GTK is better. Even while they had that plan, they were still going to use GTK (native Linux) applications. Purism is making a Linux phone, and it'll support KDE as an option, but it's going to use GNOME and GTK apps by default. That's just the standard.

GTK uses C, whereas Qt uses C++. It's well known that C is superior and cleaner. If you've spent much time on Jow Forums then you'll know that's a fact. And now it's 2018, we have Rust, which is a modern programming language that does everything better than everything else. It's the future of programming. And guess which toolkit has the best Rust integration? GTK.

Just accept it. GNOME is the standard. GTK is the standard. And there's a reason for that. A good rule of thumb in life is to go with the flow. Don't fight and swim against the current. You won't win like that.

I have a faint remembrance, but the automounting must be done by some daemon. some service on systemd.
that's a shit lead, but still.
KDE and GNOME do a number of invisible helping functions that we take for granted.
I wish there was an easy list for someone lazy like me.

Кдe?

Every time I see a Gnome desktop I feel like leaving XFCE and moving to KDE

But I am. Why are you asking loaded questions?

Attached: 152794453543544243430653828.png (707x786, 141K)

based && GNU/Pilled

Attached: putinosgf.jpg (970x597, 117K)

cuz it look shit

>constant screen tearing won't go away
>can't configure mouse sensitivity
>unstable with the sense that everything could come crashing down at any moment
>feels a little bit off, like it has slight input lag

GNOME actually isn't bad desu. KDE programs are good which is why I always have hope for the DE. But it always disappoints me

I had not read this sloppy amateur pasta before

Attached: 1538579667643.gif (540x302, 517K)

Attached: 1445726293583.jpg (525x809, 131K)

Holy shit, I've never heard such high praise for GTK before!
Usually everyone is busy bitching about it, but apparently Gnome makes it okay.

Attached: 1506106403810.png (459x612, 533K)

i like software that doesn't look like it was visually designed 30 years ago

try udiskie2 or the built it pcmanfm

Дa?

based

But I am.

so much of it seems to Just Werk and then I get thrown off by the utter trash-tier 2002 cursor and neon blue window underglow

i did, but i like unity more.

>neon blue window underglow
How about you stop using KDE4.

but i am

Attached: scrot.jpg (3440x1440, 1.11M)

Because I'm using something else.

Because gnome is more popular, has vastly superior application palettes. And gnome extensions are gucci as fuck.

KDE came up with KDE connect. It looks like steamy pile of shit on KDE.
But gnome side has an extension called GSconnect that uses KDE connect protocols.
And it's fucking mint, seamless integration into gnome shell with every feature KDE connect offers.

The only thing better is macOS/iOS integration.

*krashes*

Attached: kde.png (481x233, 269K)

>delete kmsserver konfig
>problem solved

Attached: 3535afdcbd1233eeb2e163897ba15a7e-1486651018168.jpg (474x548, 58K)

Bacauce GNOME is way better

No features, no problems.

And doesn't krashese and multimonitor support is the best

My konfig don't krash and i have no issues with using more screens either.

it's too buggy, the developers have shown time and time again don't value stability and correctness. i don't want to use a DE like that, it would feel like using windows, like im in a house of cards that could come crashing down on my head at any moment

gnome is ugly and too many common options are hidden making it extremely cumbersome to use for anyone above the mental age of 5. the workflow is also slow, ineffecient, unintuitive. kde is shit though for all the reasons you mentioned and also

I do. On a rolling release of all things, and it's stable. Suck it, gnome fags. thumbnails and shit out of the box.

Attached: Screenshot_20181027_092505.png (1163x733, 329K)

>too many common options are hidden
Huh, like what? I feel like KDE has its settings far more hidden.

KDE BTFO
how can tilelets even recover

You prolly are not plugging and unplugging a laptop to an external monitor constantly, KDE sucks for that and GNOME just works

Because kontact wouldn't load my top level inbox folder, wouldn't sync with my card DAV contact list, and wouldn't sync with my caldav calendar.

Evolution does this ootb with a good interface. Why would I pull in the libraries for both kde AND gnome?

Thunderbird was working fine, but an update removed the calendar tab completely wtf mozilla?

Frankly cinnamon is far more polished than either kde or gnome.

Attached: 1538409748631.jpg (1024x683, 110K)

I do that too, but whatever you think.

budgie/solus is comfy that's why

I remember that thread. Good shit.

That's the logo of kubuntu not KDE...

but i am user

Attached: Screenshot_2018-10-27_09-47-20.png (1920x1080, 1.65M)

>Dark theme DE
>Light theme Jow Forums

4chinz-x doesn't save default choice for color scheme, and too lazy to find another way.

lol, sure.

>he needs a file picker
lol these windows refugees.

Attached: no_file_picker.webm (1396x782, 1.13M)

>File browser > File picker
GNOME is the one doing it right

But I do user. I installed it on my server for the very rare instances when it's useful to remote desktop on. Worth the convenience for 300 MB of disk space even though I barely use it.

Uh but I am. I have my laptop docked. Its seamless.

prove it

Ive seen you before and thought you were trolling.
This delusion is like the fox and the grapes.
>BUH WHO NEEDS FEATURES??
>A less streamlined method is actually better. Just trust me.

Only windows refugees cry for a file picker with thumbnails, the real Linux users know how to get shit done. Gnome does it better.

tfw AMOLED Black theme for soul

>dat Stockholm syndrome
the footfag delusion is real

i am. stop asking

>waaaa I'm so useles that I need thunbnails, waaaaa

Prove that KDE can manage basic functionality?

You want me to post a screenshot of my monitor and then my laptop one?

Watch this fag.

Attached: kde.webm (800x800, 1.25M)

Because I got tired of customising everything and decided to use GNOME instead.

prove you are using a latop with KDE with functional multimonitor support, idiot, we all know GNOME already does file picking better.

?

Attached: foxandgrapes.png (3840x1200, 1.29M)

You'd like OSX better.

Seriously why do Gnometards insist on creating a closed desktop on a free and open OS?

>a screnshot
what a moron, put a video of you plugging in an unpluging the laptop to the external monitor, later you reboot and see how it meses your plasma.

>Close desktop
>is infinitively configurable with puggins

KTards try to hard to discredit GNOME.

GNOME isn't closed source, I don't know what you mean by that.

I probably would like MacOS but I'm not willing to pay for a Mac.

so i've installed kubuntu, i reach the login screen, is lightdm in ubuntu i think, but when i login, kde works a little then crashes. is because kde or nouveau drivers?? i did not installed any video drivers? so attempt to use it: failed

Not even him, but did ever even gazed upon the shitshow that is gnome extension api? Undocumented, unmantainable, unpolished piece of gobject mess.

Bringing that shit up is already discrediting gnome.

Yeah man, that was a great day.

I was not aware of this. That's getting used in the future.

>opens file picker
>bunch of trannies

You're literally running Javascript applets (LMAO). I had the places extension cause my entire session to crash every time I tried to mount a USB because of an update.
Yes. Gnome is still closed even if they give you a couple broken accessories to add. You're still missing functionality that was present in even Gnome 2.
1. You're asking me to upload a 3840x1200 video.
2. Simplescreenrecorder gives you an error if you take out an input.
Moron.

You can close, open, take-out, plug-in and restart as many times as you want. It (probably) won't crash.

Attached: Screenshot_20181027_112711.png (588x722, 116K)